ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds Like the FSU Trustee Meeting getting heated.

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
from Ira:

Stopped by the FSU Board of Trustees meeting to hear what Stan Wilcox had to say ... and whoo boy, there’s some fireworks on this Greek life issue.

Reactions: RTM58
What value does the Greek life bring to the university? Any university?

The data supports that IFC members contribute significantly more volunteer hours, have an higher GPA than most organization and the general student body, most of the school's officers are members, and the largest fundraiser that occurred when I was at FSU, Dance Marathon, was run by the IFC members.

Post-graduate donations are significant higher from former members of an IFC organization.

The data supports that IFC members contribute significantly more volunteer hours, have an higher GPA than most organization and the general student body, most of the school's officers are members, and the largest fundraiser that occurred when I was at FSU, Dance Marathon, was run by the IFC members.

Post-graduate donations are significant higher from former members of an IFC organization.
Is this a cause and effect correlation? Is it because of the Greek life, or because they are the ones selected by the Frats and Sororities? When you exclude others, you can skew the results of any demographic experiment.

Monitoring this thread so I don’t miss it when the guy who didn’t get a bid comes out guns blazing. It’s usually one of the more entertaining topics we have here.
I was offered by two Frats at two different universities. It's just not scene. I'm an introvert. I'd rather spend time with a good book.

They're always so damn glad to meet me!

c9490a8876932b8eaadc8106ff4aefbd458296646.jpg

I was offered by two Frats at two different universities. It's just not scene. I'm an introvert. I'd rather spend time with a good book.
I wasn’t referring to anyone specific - but there’s always someone who gets the fraternity thread locked early on page 2.

But your sentiment is completely fair. It’s not for everyone. It just amazes me how fired up people get about this topic.

Is this a cause and effect correlation? Is it because of the Greek life, or because they are the ones selected by the Frats and Sororities? When you exclude others, you can skew the results of any demographic experiment.

Most--if not all--fraternities and sororities have a creed that includes a commitment to a philanthropic life. It's a requirement by nationals. Organizational structure allows the IFC member a better opportunity to participate in philanthropies when compared to individual students.

Most--if not all--fraternities and sororities have a creed that includes a commitment to a philanthropic life. It's a requirement by nationals. Organizational structure allows the IFC member a better opportunity to participate in philanthropies when compared to individual students.
Yeah. They call it a different term when you go before the court. Community Service. (Sorry, just a joke.)

teeth-clipart-colgate-toothpaste-8.jpg

What philanthropic activities does a frat do during college?

From my perspective there really wasn't anything that my friends in frats were doing of a philanthropic nature.

From my perspective there really wasn't anything that my friends in frats were doing of a philanthropic nature.

When I was there the group fundraiser was Dance Marathon. Then each house had a fundraiser. Then we had habitat for humanity, there was a clean up event, some other things.

Every year Greek students give thousands of hours of service
to the community. Members donate their time to projects such
as: Habitat for Humanity, reading to underprivileged children,
Adopt-A-Highway, and the Special Olympics. Greeks also sponsor
fundraising activities for charitable organizations

Each fraternity and sorority chapter has its own national
philanthropy, which it supports on an ongoing basis. Chapters have
special events to raise money for their particular project. Some of
the projects that chapters are involved with include raising money
for research for the blind, children with terminal illnesses, women
with breast cancer, and victims of domestic violence.

One example:
ZTA chapters across the country were no strangers to our monthly rankings. Their work for breast cancer education and awareness is unparalleled. This chapter recently lost one of their sisters and in her honor they hosted their annual “Race to Live.” More than 1,000 runners, including many breast cancer survivors, participated in this 5k race in November 2016. This event did a lot more than just get a whole bunch of people to participate, it raised over $100,000.

If there was no Greek life on college campuses. Would people not go?

They would go, they just wouldn't donate/participate as much. Like the GDI's currently.

Last edited:
Wouldn't shock me one bit if the college greek system gets #metoo'd within a decade.

Reactions: 12Nole

Also seem to have more hazing incidents.
And Fraternities seems to have a higher % of rape accusations than general pop.

Off the top of my head I participated in Dance Marathon, Race to Live, Habitat for Humanity, something for Make A Wish, and another for childhood cancer. It was a requirement to participate in at least 1 per semester I believe. To be honest, most of us participated in several. It was a good time and helped others in need.

Also seem to have more hazing incidents.
And Fraternities seems to have a higher % of rape accusations than general pop.

Yes, it's troubling. However, there are studies that suggest at over 80% of campus sexual assaults are not reported. I don't really know the metrics on hazing because sports teams, sport club teams, bands, etc. (which I would include) do not report the hazing events or "teaming building exercises," (unless your brigade leader marches the trombone section into a brick wall and a girl ends up with facial lacerations). But I would agree there has been a systemic deviation from the principles and foundation of Greek organization.

Before FSU was FSU, FSCW had women's GLO's - several have been there over 100 years.

There's not enough space here to list the contributions made by alumni/alumnae of GLO's. Nationwide.

Too many powerful and wealthy FSU Grads are members - you have no idea.

from Ira:

Stopped by the FSU Board of Trustees meeting to hear what Stan Wilcox had to say ... and whoo boy, there’s some fireworks on this Greek life issue.

I'd be interested to hear what was said. I'm OK with the greek system.

I just agree with Thrasher that there needs to be culture change and that the greek system needs to do a better job of self-policing. Just make sure your chapters are acting in a manner consistent with your stated standards. I have yet to read a good reason to disagree with this?

I guess you never observed all the guys watching the young honeys in the circus at practice. Those girls in their short shorts and bare mid-riffs received tons of encouragement from the brothers. I can vouch for that because I was there.

Reactions: docb76
I'd be interested to hear what was said. I'm OK with the greek system.

I just agree with Thrasher that there needs to be culture change and that the greek system needs to do a better job of self-policing. Just make sure your chapters are acting in a manner consistent with your stated standards. I have yet to read a good reason to disagree with this?

According to Ira' tweets, at least one trustee was upset about what he [the trustee] called a tax on greek organization to fund the extra staffing oversight office that Thrasher wants to create.

Reactions: RTM58
According to Ira' tweets, at least one trustee was upset about what he [the trustee] called a tax on greek organization to fund the extra staffing oversight office that Thrasher wants to create.

There is a two tier system of membership fees recently enacted that I think is discriminatory.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC Nole OX
ADVERTISEMENT