ADVERTISEMENT

Star Wars Last Jedi **No Spoilers**

FSUTribe76

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2008
Without getting into spoilers.....I thought it was excellent! Other than over saturation of the Porgs I had no major complaints. All and all, score another win for the Evil Empire (ie Disney).

Without getting into spoilers.....I thought it was excellent! Other than over saturation of the Porgs I had no major complaints. All and all, score another win for the Evil Empire (ie Disney).

Honest question. I’ve never seen any before. With that being said, do you think the first three would hold up well enough for a “non” fan to go back and watch and still hold my interest?

Honest question. I’ve never seen any before. With that being said, do you think the first three would hold up well enough for a “non” fan to go back and watch and still hold my interest?

If by first three you mean the prequels (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith) then no, absolutely not. They’re terribly boring films that WERE held up for a time because of great music and great for its time special effects. Now the effects are dated so the plodding and uninteresting movies are pretty terrible.

If by first three you mean the original series (“Star Wars”/A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) then yes it holds up pretty nicely especially the first two.

What I would suggest doing is skip the prequel trilogy entirely and start with Rogue One. It’s newer so its effects hold up and it actually works great by watching it as a double feature with the original Star Wars/A New Hope. The last minute of Rogue One goes seamlessly to the opening minute of the original Star Wars/A New Hope. Then after you finish Return of the Jedi pick up with the new trilogy and watch The Force Awakens.

I felt like this was by far the worst of out the new 3. So much wasted time and extra crap for no reason. Combine this with the unanswered questions and I was thoroughly disappointed.

The original trilogy holds up well because it's carried by a pretty good story and excellent characters.

Rogue One was the best after those, with the remaining four that I've seen being dogpile, especially The Force Awakens. No chance I'd ever spend another dollar to see a movie with those characters in a theatre.

Reactions: RTM58
If by first three you mean the prequels (Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith) then no, absolutely not. They’re terribly boring films that WERE held up for a time because of great music and great for its time special effects. Now the effects are dated so the plodding and uninteresting movies are pretty terrible.

If by first three you mean the original series (“Star Wars”/A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) then yes it holds up pretty nicely especially the first two.

What I would suggest doing is skip the prequel trilogy entirely and start with Rogue One. It’s newer so its effects hold up and it actually works great by watching it as a double feature with the original Star Wars/A New Hope. The last minute of Rogue One goes seamlessly to the opening minute of the original Star Wars/A New Hope. Then after you finish Return of the Jedi pick up with the new trilogy and watch The Force Awakens.
The answer is view the prior in Machete Order with Rogue One being the last before The Force Awakens.

Going tonight. Every review I have read so far from a variety of different publications has been very positive.

Going tonight. Every review I have read so far from a variety of different publications has been very positive.

I loved it. All of the critics loved it (it's at 94% RT last I saw). But apparently some nerd boys didn't like it for an assembly of minor ticky tack reasons. I think it's really because of reasons I can't discuss without putting up the spoiler shield.

Honestly the only reason I can think of is that it's because all of the post-Force Awakens nerd "analysis" about where the series was going ended up being a giant waste of time. Snoke wasn't Ezra Bridger turned fully to the dark side, he wasn't an all powerful first jedi/first force user, he wasn't Darth Plageius (sp?), he wasn't Palpatine reincarnated, he was just....some dude who died pretty easily. And Rey wasn't a descendant of Obi Wan, a daughter of Palpatine, a daughter of Luke Skywalker or Han Solo, another Force virginal birth or even Palpatine reincarnated, instead she was.....just some chick. Now the latter I kind of think will change, no reason to believe that Kylo is telling the truth or even that he was right IF telling the truth, but I'm sure that ticked people off. Plus, there was no gay romance between Finn and Poe which I'm sure irritated a lot of fanboys.

I loved it. All of the critics loved it (it's at 94% RT last I saw). But apparently some nerd boys didn't like it for an assembly of minor ticky tack reasons. I think it's really because of reasons I can't discuss without putting up the spoiler shield.

Honestly the only reason I can think of is that it's because all of the post-Force Awakens nerd "analysis" about where the series was going ended up being a giant waste of time. Snoke wasn't Ezra Bridger turned fully to the dark side, he wasn't an all powerful first jedi/first force user, he wasn't Darth Plageius (sp?), he wasn't Palpatine reincarnated, he was just....some dude who died pretty easily. And Rey wasn't a descendant of Obi Wan, a daughter of Palpatine, a daughter of Luke Skywalker or Han Solo, another Force virginal birth or even Palpatine reincarnated, instead she was.....just some chick. Now the latter I kind of think will change, no reason to believe that Kylo is telling the truth or even that he was right IF telling the truth, but I'm sure that ticked people off. Plus, there was no gay romance between Finn and Poe which I'm sure irritated a lot of fanboys.
Despite your condescending BS, none of those reasons are why I didn't like it.

"Destroy the past. Burn it down" as is repeated over and over is what they did. I think a new generation will enjoy this. The franchise felt gutted.

I just prefer some things to remain.

I'll stick with the "Legends" and old EU unless there is something that hasn't been revealed yet.

Reactions: Dannynole16
Saw it last night. It was good but not great. Too many one liners and too many cute animals. Thought the story was played...
The best part was the star ships coming out of light speed

Saw it last night. It was good but not great. Too many one liners and too many cute animals. Thought the story was played...
The best part was the star ships coming out of light speed

My favorite part from a visual standpoint is

When the Resistance Cruiser turned and went to light speed ramming through the First Order Fleet. I thought that was AWESOME!

My favorite part from a visual standpoint is

When the Resistance Cruiser turned and went to light speed ramming through the First Order Fleet. I thought that was AWESOME!

Yeah, that was cool too...

Reactions: FSUTribe76

There is so much bs out there. People just expect too much. I saw it tonight and loved it. So did most in the theater. Loved the porgs. Great movie overall. I think they did a great job. I recommend it. Good mix of drama, humor, suspense. Etc. Special effects have gotten even better. Really cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFONole
DRBl-ZVUEAEYrEf.jpg:large

Despite your condescending BS, none of those reasons are why I didn't like it.

"Destroy the past. Burn it down" as is repeated over and over is what they did. I think a new generation will enjoy this. The franchise felt gutted.

I just prefer some things to remain.

I'll stick with the "Legends" and old EU unless there is something that hasn't been revealed yet.

I did enjoy the movie. I do agree that the old EU is kinder to some of the main characters. And, I thought one in particular was a bit weak in terms of story line. I.e., the old guys are the heroes to those of us that grew up in that era. But, this is a new generation. . .

I felt like this was by far the worst of out the new 3. So much wasted time and extra crap for no reason. Combine this with the unanswered questions and I was thoroughly disappointed.
Critics have it at 93% and fans have it at 56% on the Tomato Meter...that has me VERY concerned.

Saw it last night with the family and all of us loved it. Had some interesting moments that did not go the way you thought they might, and I have no idea where they will go in Episode 9.

They could have taken the easy way out and had Kylo Ren turn back good. Instead, he just killed Snoke for his own personal gain and then tried to get Rey to join up with him. I also like the fact that Snoke was just some evil dude. Not everything has to be some big reveal in this day and age. Snoke was a powerful dude, and Kylo wanted that power for himself.

Yoda showing up was a pleasant surprise. Thought that was a great scene with him and Luke.

While I know Kylo Ren supposedly told Rey her parents were a bunch of junk traders, he could have been telling her that to manipulate her. I would still consider that an unanswered question.

Only minor issue I had was when Leia was sucked out of the ship into the vacuum and somehow survived. I suppose that can be explained away as some kind of force power since she obviously used the force to get herself back to the ship.

Speaking of Leia, no idea how they are going to explain her absence in Episode 9.

Critics have it at 93% and fans have it at 56% on the Tomato Meter...that has me VERY concerned.
I'd guess it's the same purist fanboys bashing it on Rotten Tomatoes that always give each new Star Wars dvd release one start Amazon reviews because It included some new scene, or otherwise violated strict canon law. I figure the fan score will go up as "normal" people leave reviews.

I'd guess it's the same purist fanboys bashing it on Rotten Tomatoes that always give each new Star Wars dvd release one start Amazon reviews because It included some new scene, or otherwise violated strict canon law. I figure the fan score will go up as "normal" people leave reviews.
I like star wars a lot. Never read any of the books, don't know Han Solo's home planet. This movie was fairly bad/meh and definitely underwhelming. It is not the 1/5 most people are giving it, more like a 2/5, but it far from being a good Star Wars movie. There is a 20 minute section of awesomeness and then the 2 hours leading up to it are a pretty bad movie. Side missions that accomplish nothing and are unnecessary characters not acting the way they would way too many forced jokes for a star wars movie. And the side mission again was just stupid and way over CGI. Everything cool The Force Awakens set up this movie ignore or just brushed aside you can tell they two were written and directed by two totally different people.

The film's audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is only 57 percent. On Metacritic, moviegoers give it just a 5 (out of 10) with the number of negative and mixed reviews drowning out the positive. Those ratings put "The Last Jedi" in the company of "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones," two episodes considered to be the worst in the saga.

It seems some did not get the story they thought they were going to get and hated this movie for it. I did not come into this movie with a specific story in mind and was thoroughly entertained. It was a well done SW movie and worth the price of admission.

It seems some did not get the story they thought they were going to get and hated this movie for it. I did not come into this movie with a specific story in mind and was thoroughly entertained. It was a well done SW movie and worth the price of admission.

That’s true. But it’s more of a verisimilitude issue with respect to the behavior and thought process of certain characters. I think the naysayers have a point. But I still liked the movie.

You have a good movie.

You also have destruction of a 40 year old story arc. The premise is to "burn down the past." They accomplished that. They made it completely irrelevant.

I think it's OK to have a good movie and to also not like it.

You have a good movie.

You also have destruction of a 40 year old story arc. The premise is to "burn down the past." They accomplished that. They made it completely irrelevant.

I agree on your last point. Can you put in a spoiler what exactly you are talking about in burning down the story arc? I think I know where you are going with the comment but wanted to read your opinion.

I just came here to say that I'm shocked that I've been watching these movies for 30 years and only now noticed the green girls boob pop out in jabas lair.

You have a good movie.

Exactly and this is what I feared when Lucas sold LucasFilm to Disney. Disney is now shamelessly prostituting SW just for money.

This was the worst SW movie I have ever seen. Yes even worse than The Phantom Menace at least that movie had an incredible lightsaber duel at the end.

This was a cross between SW, Harry Potter and Mary Poppins? Just couldn't believe how they destroyed the cannon and story arch of the first 6 films basically.

I just think maybe its time for me to move on from this universe and enjoy the first 6 films about the Skywalkers

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Exactly and this is what I feared when Lucas sold LucasFilm to Disney. Disney is now shamelessly prostituting SW just for money.

This was the worst SW movie I have ever seen. Yes even worse than The Phantom Menace at least that movie had an incredible lightsaber duel at the end.

This was a cross between SW, Harry Potter and Mary Poppins? Just couldn't believe how they destroyed the cannon and story arch of the first 6 films basically.

I just think maybe its time for me to move on from this universe and enjoy the first 6 films about the Skywalkers
Man, there is no, "Meh" regarding this film...it's literally, "I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!" or "I ABSOLUTELY HATED IT!"

The film's audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is only 57 percent. On Metacritic, moviegoers give it just a 5 (out of 10) with the number of negative and mixed reviews drowning out the positive. Those ratings put "The Last Jedi" in the company of "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones," two episodes considered to be the worst in the saga.

Which is absolutely absurd. The prequel trilogy is basically unwatchable with terrible acting, terrible writing (both stilted robotic dialogue courtesy of Lucas and a mindnumbingly dumb plot) and special effects which while “pretty” for the time are static leading to unexciting action sequences. The Last Jedi has a coherent plot, mainly “practical” effects with some enhancing cgi added rather than actors just sitting in green screen and cgi animation and I was pretty happy with most of the performances (Rose was a little weak that’s about it).

Man, there is no, "Meh" regarding this film...it's literally, "I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!" or "I ABSOLUTELY HATED IT!"

Once the fanboys get over the fact it was taken in an unexpected direction rather than just do the expected they will come around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT