ADVERTISEMENT

Starlink... finally!

Deerfuel2

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Monticello Fl
I had awful internet service. Usually around 1-3 down and less than 1 up. (CenturyLink DSL). Put my name on the list in May, and it finally arrived Thursday. Plug and play set up; easy as could be.
Now I am around 200 mps down and 40 up. I give it 5 stars.
Now, I am curious what TV streaming service do you folks use? I have Dish currently

YouTube TV. Do you know if you can pause your service? I'm going to build a barndominium on some property as a get away home in a rural area but trying to avoid $100/mo when I'm only there occasionally.

Reactions: squiffynole
YouTube TV. Do you know if you can pause your service? I'm going to build a barndominium on some property as a get away home in a rural area but trying to avoid $100/mo when I'm only there occasionally.
Funny thing, I looked into this not too long ago -
  1. Go to tv.youtube.com on a web browser.
  2. Select your profile photo
    VjxsHrkmllWNCmhG1Hjyh8b045dLELrbIbLj
  3. Go to Settings
    and then
    Membership
  4. Click Manage.
  5. Use the slider to choose how many weeks you would like to pause your membership.
  6. Click Pause.

Reactions: Pimpanolie
I’ve been waiting for Starlink at our lake house which is very remote. Can’t wait!

200 down 40 up? Hello 2016.
Lol... after being in the internet dark ages, this is pretty damn good. I have great internet at the beach house, but here in Monticello, it was abysmal. I haven't had any delays or buffering or really anything that seems like faster is even better/possible. What does 1000 down even do? What am I missing out on?

I had awful internet service. Usually around 1-3 down and less than 1 up. (CenturyLink DSL). Put my name on the list in May, and it finally arrived Thursday. Plug and play set up; easy as could be.
Now, I am curious what TV streaming service do you folks use? I have Dish currently
I had DSL when I first moved here, got bonded DSL, so faster than yours, but still pretty limiting. Had Dish too. So, when we got fiber in town, I got rid of Dish ($145 month). We already had Netflix and Amazon Prime. Added in HULU Live because it had the best mix of stations for our family. That gives you ESPN+ and Disney+, with all of HULUs library too. The price has gone up consistently, but still end up paying less than what I was paying for Dish with now 7 streaming networks (Apple TV, HULU Live, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Peacock, and Kanopy-Free from our library. All that adds up significantly less than Dish. They can all be stopped and started monthly, which is nice if you want to take a break or go on vacation or even a TV vacation. More content than a 1000 people could consume. Very little bugs on all those. Occasionally have to reboot for HULU, but that is maybe once a month.

Hope this helps.

I had DSL when I first moved here, got bonded DSL, so faster than yours, but still pretty limiting. Had Dish too. So, when we got fiber in town, I got rid of Dish ($145 month). We already had Netflix and Amazon Prime. Added in HULU Live because it had the best mix of stations for our family. That gives you ESPN+ and Disney+, with all of HULUs library too. The price has gone up consistently, but still end up paying less than what I was paying for Dish with now 7 streaming networks (Apple TV, HULU Live, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Peacock, and Kanopy-Free from our library. All that adds up significantly less than Dish. They can all be stopped and started monthly, which is nice if you want to take a break or go on vacation or even a TV vacation. More content than a 1000 people could consume. Very little bugs on all those. Occasionally have to reboot for HULU, but that is maybe once a month.

Hope this helps.
Great info. Thank you

200 down 40 up? Hello 2016.
but he can take his 200 down and 40 up on vacation!

the geek in me really, really wants starlink. if i lived somewhere along the lines north georgia, SE tennessee, SW north carolina it would be an absolute no brainer.

currently i would be a little more apprehensive in florida. not so much because of the general abundance of HSI in this state but more so because the the starlink satellite dish can get pretty dang hot off its own account and i don't need interruptions while it cools itself. that little negative is a huge positive in cold and snowy climates though.

Lol... after being in the internet dark ages, this is pretty damn good. I have great internet at the beach house, but here in Monticello, it was abysmal. I haven't had any delays or buffering or really anything that seems like faster is even better/possible. What does 1000 down even do? What am I missing out on?
You may not be missing out on anything. Just because gigabit speeds are offered doesn't necessarily mean you need it. You should calculate the highest possible data demand that you will need at a single instance in time. If your ISP provides those speeds then you will never have an issue. The majority of the time you likely will not hit that limit.

You may not be missing out on anything. Just because gigabit speeds are offered doesn't necessarily mean you need it. You should calculate the highest possible data demand that you will need at a single instance in time. If your ISP provides those speeds then you will never have an issue. The majority of the time you likely will not hit that limit.
200 down 40 up is more than adequate for all but the most demanding needs. the more important aspect IMO is that connection being unlimited. you can stream 4K to your hearts content with 200 down.

the new AV1 codec standard that is beginning to get implemented will allow for up to 8K playback (for devices that can support it) with relatively the same bandwidth.

200 down 40 up is more than adequate for all but the most demanding needs. the more important aspect IMO is that connection being unlimited. you can stream 4K to your hearts content with 200 down.

the new AV1 codec standard that is beginning to get implemented will allow for up to 8K playback (for devices that can support it) with relatively the same bandwidth.
I don't disagree. I was speaking more broadly, as I assume OP doesn't stream and game on Twitch or have multiple housemates who have multiple devices connected that take up a ton of resource.

As for your last paragraph, that's awesome! Technology truly paces the industry and content. I feel like content hasn't even caught up yet when it comes to 4k and I don't think we are close to ready for 8k yet, but it's impressive that we could keep close to the same data volume despite the large leap in quality due to that codec.

Reactions: GbrNole
I don't disagree. I was speaking more broadly, as I assume OP doesn't stream and game on Twitch or have multiple housemates who have multiple devices connected that take up a ton of resource.

As for your last paragraph, that's awesome! Technology truly paces the industry and content. I feel like content hasn't even caught up yet when it comes to 4k and I don't think we are close to ready for 8k yet, but it's impressive that we could keep close to the same data volume despite the large leap in quality due to that codec.
we'd be losing our minds if we were Japanese! they have been doing 8K while we are still getting our feet wet with 4K! 😜

Reactions: Dhersh
He'd have to take his Starlink antenna with him. Where do you put that in your hotel room?
wouldn't exactly need it there! useful though if you air bnb somewhere out in the wilderness and you mix remote work and vacation.

How do you have 1000 down? What service?
I had gigabit service a few years back when I first moved to the area - AT&T Fiber because that was the only one offered at my apartment complex. Speed test from when I had it:

PJ2E36N.png

There are at least 2 that offer it here depending on which part of the area you live at. I can currently get Google Fiber or AT&T Fiber, but I have neither.

Wow. We have spectrum internet, 400 down, I think. I have Google mesh. Ranch style, with router on opposite side of house to where my bedroom is.

The 400 is actually 350 when right next to the modem. Here in my bedroom, it's like 30 😭😭😭.

But we do have the 4k TV (in TV room) hardwired to one of the mesh points, and we have no issues streaming anything.

Wow. We have spectrum internet, 400 down, I think. I have Google mesh. Ranch style, with router on opposite side of house to where my bedroom is.

The 400 is actually 350 when right next to the modem. Here in my bedroom, it's like 30 😭😭😭.

But we do have the 4k TV (in TV room) hardwired to one of the mesh points, and we have no issues streaming anything.
I have Spectrum as well because it's more than enough bandwidth and it's only $35/month fixed rate. AT&T tried to get me to keep their fiber service by basically cutting their price in half. It was a pretty good deal. I would have gotten fiber for $50/month. Problem was the rate wasn't fixed and they said I would have to call and ask for the price to be reduced every 6 months to keep that price. I told them they should give me one consistent price at $50/month and they declined. What am I to them? I went to Spectrum out of principle.

if you can pull cat6 between your mesh points that would solve a lot of the signal problems by having a wired backhaul. the google wifi routers are pretty limited especially if you have a lot of wireless devices. it doesn't take much to overwhelm them.

Reactions: Dhersh
if you can pull cat6 between your mesh points that would solve a lot of the signal problems by having a wired backhaul. the google wifi routers are pretty limited especially if you have a lot of wireless devices. it doesn't take much to overwhelm them.
Cat6 is a an actual wire, right? That won't work unfortunately.

I think my best bet is to relocate the modem to the middle of the house. I think that would solve most of the issues, right?

What is the best alternative to the Google system?

Cat6 is a an actual wire, right? That won't work unfortunately.

I think my best bet is to relocate the modem to the middle of the house. I think that would solve most of the issues, right?

What is the best alternative to the Google system?
the best, ubiquiti unifi but that is a commercial grade device. absolutely awesome when setup but not simple.

on a consumer level the most straightforward devices for true wireless (i.e. non wired backhaul between devices) are probably the netgear orbi and linksys velop. both of them are clever with their implementation of wireless backhaul so that it doesn't impact your actual bandwidth usage.

linked below is a decent article that goes over the history of mesh and covers the merits and pitfalls of each brand. not too long of a read.

Wired would require a huge retrofit of this old house. I don't think it's possible.

I saw the orbis a while back, after I spent $ on the Google. Apparently, spectrum now offers mesh services for about $5/m or something like that. If/when I have them move the modem, I may give them a shot.

How the heck did you put your name on list in May and gave it now. I have given my $99.00 well over year and a half. No update no information just radio silence and me trying to decide if I want to get my deposit back. I guess I'll just let it ride as I have heard horror stories of potential customers checking on status of Starlink and being pushed to the back of the line.

I'm happy for you and would be tickled to tears with those speeds.

How the heck did you put your name on list in May and gave it now. I have given my $99.00 well over year and a half. No update no information just radio silence and me trying to decide if I want to get my deposit back. I guess I'll just let it ride as I have heard horror stories of potential customers checking on status of Starlink and being pushed to the back of the line.

I have been where you are brother. I know it is frustrating, waiting. I had no other options but to wait. Where are you located?

it may just be down to your location not being fully meshed yet by starlink. the satellite grid is constantly being expanded, the wait sucks but there is progress. they're moving a lot faster than google fiber! lol

I have Spectrum as well because it's more than enough bandwidth and it's only $35/month fixed rate. AT&T tried to get me to keep their fiber service by basically cutting their price in half. It was a pretty good deal. I would have gotten fiber for $50/month. Problem was the rate wasn't fixed and they said I would have to call and ask for the price to be reduced every 6 months to keep that price. I told them they should give me one consistent price at $50/month and they declined. What am I to them? I went to Spectrum out of principle.
How do you have spectrum 400 down @ $35/m? I only have internet and a land line for 105/m.

Also, spectrum DOES have a mesh network option. $3/ pod unit a month. I think I am going to try it for a couple of months. If it sucks, I will reinstall the Google mesh that I've ready got.

My speeds really are 25ish down on the opposite side of the house from the router (AND there's a pod in that toom, hard wired to the 4kTV).

So, I called spectrum... Monthly bill reduced about 40. Tech coming to move modem to middle of the house, so I am hopeful that will help wifi signal strength overall throughout the house.

Reactions: Dhersh and GbrNole
Just a quick couple of comments.....

1) I am right now about 12 feet from the modem and main router/pod, download speed are 90...wtf. Only one wall separating. If I went right next to the device, speed would be the same. I am not going to mess with it until the guy comes today.

2) finding a specific spot to put the modem will be a challenge... The Mrs mjpwooo ain't thrilled. Any recommendations?

Just a quick couple of comments.....

1) I am right now about 12 feet from the modem and main router/pod, download speed are 90...wtf. Only one wall separating. If I went right next to the device, speed would be the same. I am not going to mess with it until the guy comes today.

2) finding a specific spot to put the modem will be a challenge... The Mrs mjpwooo ain't thrilled. Any recommendations?

Just did speed test again, RIGHT NEXT TO the modem and router/pod, download speeds of 92....I am literally 2 feet from the devices.

First thing first i’d restart the mesh routers and test again. If you can test the hard wire speed also do that to rule out it’s not an issue at the ISP end. It could be that your modem took a crap update when you renegotiated with spectrum.

Absent that the google wifi routers won’t independently let you choose between 2.4G and 5G signals so it’s probably locking on to your device at 2.4 which will always give lesser download speed than 5G.

as I mentioned previously, i love the setup simplicity of the google wifi system but its performance leaves a lot to be desired. They do seem to deteriorate with age also.

my brother used google wifi for years. Insisted it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it was very decent at first. As he expanded his collection of wireless devices around the house over time that performance dipped sharply to the point of it being nearly unusable on FaceTime etc. he had plenty of bandwidth but the device itself was choking the life out of his network since it didn’t have enough processing power to keep up with directing all of those wireless devices.

Reactions: mjpwooo and Dhersh
First thing first i’d restart the mesh routers and test again. If you can test the hard wire speed also do that to rule out it’s not an issue at the ISP end. It could be that your modem took a crap update when you renegotiated with spectrum.

Absent that the google wifi routers won’t independently let you choose between 2.4G and 5G signals so it’s probably locking on to your device at 2.4 which will always give lesser download speed than 5G.

as I mentioned previously, i love the setup simplicity of the google wifi system but its performance leaves a lot to be desired. They do seem to deteriorate with age also.

my brother used google wifi for years. Insisted it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it was very decent at first. As he expanded his collection of wireless devices around the house over time that performance dipped sharply to the point of it being nearly unusable on FaceTime etc. he had plenty of bandwidth but the device itself was choking the life out of his network since it didn’t have enough processing power to keep up with directing all of those wireless devices.
A few days ago, this same problem came up. Rebooted the spectrum device (I always unplug the Google device too) and was at 400down. This was 3 days ago.

I may keep as is and see if I can get a new spectrum device when we move it.

Considering the Orbi, but as of today, not interested in shelling out the money, if I can help it.

That one wall could be a major disruption to the signal you are trying to receive. As mentioned, hard wiring in would be your best method. Run a speed test while hardwired. If everything else is right, I think you will see your speeds increase.

Reactions: mjpwooo and GbrNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT