ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen Hawking has left this dimension.

He lived quite a bit longer than expected. Diagnosed in 1962. Given two years to live. Probably outlived those doctors.

Reactions: noleclone2
The world lost an amazing thinker today, not that we've listened to much of what he's tried to get us to listen to lately, but I'd move the needle on the doomsday clock one second closer now that we don't have his voice of warning any longer.

Truly amazing man.

I know he was a smart dude but can someone summarize his important “discoveries” in a way someone like me can understand? I’m feeling bad about myself that this isn’t a bigger deal to me.

Most of his work had to do with black holes.

He proposed that the Universe came from a singularity in our distant past (The Big Bang)

He did a ton of work on the mathematics of Black Holes. One of the biggest was the Second law and his proposal and proofs that Black Holes actually do emit heat and can eventually disappear. This heat was named as "Hawking Radiation".

He's done a ton of work, although hasn't cracked the case yet on a quantum law of gravity (Since gravity doesn't work at all in quantum physics).

He wrote one of the best selling books for laymen "A brief history of time"

Here's an article that goes into more detail on his impact on science.
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160107-these-are-the-discoveries-that-made-stephen-hawking-famous

I read the term "Hawking Drive" in some science fiction books...something to do with FTL travel I believe.

I feel like I’m a smart person compared to most but these Astro physicists make me feel really stupid.

I feel like I’m a smart person compared to most but these Astro physicists make me feel really stupid.
It shouldn't. So they're smart about the one thing that they've spent their whole lives working on - that's to be expected. Doesn't at all mean that they're smart about anything else, or that they're at all socially capable. There are likely a lot of topics where you know far more than the Hawkings and the Neil Degrasse-Tysons of the world.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Don't feel too bad, once they start talking about Quantum Mechanics, they make themselves feel really stupid too. No one understands Quantum Mechanics.

His book, "A Brief History of Time" is one of my absolute favorites however. I try to read it at least once every few years. I just find it fascinating, even if it is over 25 years old now.

"However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there's life, there is hope."
- Stephen Hawking, 2006

"Black holes ain't as black as they are painted. They are not the eternal prisons they were once thought. Things can get out of a black hole, both to the outside, and possibly, to another universe. So, if you feel you are in a black hole, don't give up. There's a way out."
- Stephen Hawking, 2008

The man was a fighter.

I know he was a smart dude but can someone summarize his important “discoveries” in a way someone like me can understand? I’m feeling bad about myself that this isn’t a bigger deal to me.
His book on anti-gravity was so good I couldn't put it down...
h71A84258

Just like everyone else who passes he now knows who was right....
I'm not sure I follow. And truthfully I'm not trying to start a religious or teleological discussion or debate. But it seems to me there are 3 (perhaps really 2) possibilities:

1. If there is a personal God, invested in him specifically, then yes, he presumably knows.

2a. If there is just some sort of Prime Mover, or any other non-personal god, then how/why should he know?

2b. Likewise, if there is no god at all, then wouldn't all of his knowledge presumably die with him, and he wouldn't know anything any longer?

I find the fact that he was one of the smartest human beings to ever walk the earth coupled with being what Doctors now consider the longest living survivor of ALS fascinating as hell. The disease kills most within 2-3 years and almost everyone by 5 years. There is medical evidence those diagnosed younger like he was can sometimes fight it off....for 10 years. But he lived 55 years with it. To me, the high genius level of his brain and his record survival almost have to be linked. It was like his brain was operating at such a high level, he refused to die.

I find the fact that he was one of the smartest human beings to ever walk the earth coupled with being what Doctors now consider the longest living survivor of ALS fascinating as hell. The disease kills most within 2-3 years and almost everyone by 5 years. There is medical evidence those diagnosed younger like he was can sometimes fight it off....for 10 years. But he lived 55 years with it. To me, the high genius level of his brain and his record survival almost have to be linked. It was like his brain was operating at such a high level, he refused to die.

Probably a lot to do with it...........I couldn't imagine having his ability of thinking and being stuck in a body that couldn't let you do anything.

It is amazing that he lived this long. Only about 5% of ALS patients live over 20 years. Based on what I know about ALS and how it affects the body, it is doubtful that there is much or any correlation between a persons intellect and how long they live with ALS.

"However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there's life, there is hope."
- Stephen Hawking, 2006

"Black holes ain't as black as they are painted. They are not the eternal prisons they were once thought. Things can get out of a black hole, both to the outside, and possibly, to another universe. So, if you feel you are in a black hole, don't give up. There's a way out."
- Stephen Hawking, 2008

The man was a fighter.

Wait, he used the word ain't????? Surely one as smart as he would never use that word.

Later in life his goal had switched from solving life's mysteries to winning an emmy for outstanding guest actor in a comedy series on The Big Bang Theory.

Isn't everything we "know" about black holes theoretical?

I was surprised also
I have to wonder if they glossed over some of the drama in his personal life though. Could he actually have switched from one wife to another that smoothly? Been a while since I've seen it of course, but that stood out to me at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT