ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Market

The world would be a better place had sold last week and rolled the cash into purchasing this week. But no...now I'm afraid to even look.

The corona virus is affecting the market...or so "they" say.

Correction or buying opportunity?
Technically, a 10% drop equals a correction. So we are at least there. The margins are thin for anything providing an uptick. The UK is making some ridiculous statements regarding Brexit, like it hasn’t happened yet and there is no agreement in place. Those trade negotiations begin tomorrow. China trade deal is no where in sight and they will quarantined for the first quarter pretty much. 10 year tbills are trading at all time lows. Deficit will be higher than last years at a trillion dollars. Manufacturing is up after a soft finish to 2019. Trade is mixed. You decide. “Where are the Investors Boats?” is a good read on the subject. Good luck. And take no advice that you don’t pay for.

Reactions: dvorbs11
Speed of this is being driven by the revolution in communications. Rumors spread instantaneously, stock market hates uncertainty; risk avoidance becomes the mentality; seek safety; sell; repeat. 30 years ago the information would have seeped out in drabs and the drop wouldn't have been in panic mode, worrying about how bad the next rumor will make it appear.

Longer term, this might be for the good. Dependence on China is excessive. Recognizing that will likely drive diversification in the supply chain and more manufacturing back to the US.

Reactions: goldmom
Agree...the amount of global dependence on the Chinese market is at a degree most people would find shocking.
Not just the US, either. Europe has just become aware of their dependence.

One of the MAJOR suppliers of sterile medicals....a now-quarantined province in...China.

Starting to find the bottom, I think. But the press is flogging the story about how soon everyone of us will get this virus. Ugh.

Reactions: MagNoleA
Starting to find the bottom, I think. But the press is flogging the story about how soon everyone of us will get this virus. Ugh.
I hear ya! I just hope I can find a bottom; at least by the end of April.
Meanwhile, I'm planning to bring a mask (just in case) for the Spring game. Getting leery of various toxins in the air.

Agree...the amount of global dependence on the Chinese market is at a degree most people would find shocking.
Not just the US, either. Europe has just become aware of their dependence.

One of the MAJOR suppliers of sterile medicals....a now-quarantined province in...China.
I agree. The amount of global dependence on the Chinese market is very shocking to me. So glad Europe just woke up and became aware of their dependence. Great call! I've never cared for sterile medicals myself.
Gordon " Greed is Good" G. :cool:

Don’t even think we’re anywhere near bottom. This virus situation is going to drag out 6 months to a year or longer. Wait till there’s sustained spread in the us. The Spanish flu started as a weaker strain in China and then mutated with a second wave. The second wave was the “bad” one. I’ve got my tsp in the g fund and will look to jump back with dow below 20k.

Meanwhile, I'm planning to bring a mask (just in case) for the Spring game. Getting leery of various toxins in the air.
The masks are for the people who have the virus (it keeps them from spreading it to others). Wearing one does little to prevent you from getting the virus from others.

That dang press, how dare they keep us informed about the virus and what we need to do to keep its spread to a minimum. I sure wish I lived in a country like China where you only hear what the Govt. wants you to hear. :)

Missed the bottom for Costco by one day! Went shopping last Thursday, the lot was packed and inside it looked like Christmas. Put in an order to buy more on Friday, unfortunately with my 401K the order won't take effect until today. Today it is up $24+ per share! If it pulls back again, I'll buy more.

Yea, selfishly i have a rather $$ prepaid trip to Europe in late April and with Italy leading the hysterical waive i fear more euro countries will start shutting down in the coming weeks. My last 3 vacations were affected by hurricanes so this is probably my fault.

Fed did an emergency rate cut, hinting at another cut.

Not enough information about what is going to happen, events shutting down, travel suspended, we have not even deployed test kits to know the extent of this virus.

Market hates uncertainty... do not see anything right now that says its time to jump back in.

Don’t even think we’re anywhere near bottom. This virus situation is going to drag out 6 months to a year or longer. Wait till there’s sustained spread in the us. The Spanish flu started as a weaker strain in China and then mutated with a second wave. The second wave was the “bad” one. I’ve got my tsp in the g fund and will look to jump back with dow below 20k.

That's a theory about the 1918 flu. Kansas is another origin point that has been argued, as well as other parts of the world. Ultimately, nobody really knows.

Reactions: Random_John
That's a theory about the 1918 flu. Kansas is another origin point that has been argued, as well as other parts of the world. Ultimately, nobody really knows.

It was a hoax. Were any of us alive to prove it happened? ;)

There isn’t a bottom when people are talking about “is there a bottom.”

Bottoms happen when people are talking about buying in.

More to go....

"Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful"

And more importantly have a politician or two in your hip pocket for the best returns.

The corona virus is affecting the market...or so "they" say.

Correction or buying opportunity?
We are now in a bear market. And almost certainly there will be a recession in the next few quarters (it's a backward looking indicator, so we could be in one now but won't know it for a while). If you look at charts of previous bear markets, you will see that after the initial decline, there is a rebound (because it has become oversold). Then the decline continues, often there are several iterations of this pattern until the bottom is reached. Combine the above with the likelihood of credit defaults due to the virus screwing up business's earnings, and IN MY OPINION we have a long way down to go. Note that this is NOT investment advice! Please do your own 'due diligence' before buying, or selling, ANYTHING. Good luck, and be careful out there!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT