ADVERTISEMENT

Stone Crab Fest

krabs.jpg

I eat a lot of Stone Crab all year, it's so cheap here where I live. Pennies on the dollar compared to everywhere else in Florida. I get the "Large" ones for $19 per lb.

Never been wild about stone crab. Love every other kind though. King, Tanner/bairdi and Dungeoness are my favs...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Never been wild about stone crab. Love every other kind though. King, Tanner/bairdi and Dungeoness are my favs...

I’ve never been a fan of King Crab despite the name. But I love Dungeness, Blue, all of the “snow” crabs AND stone crab. If I had to pick a favorite it would be Dungeness (or blue if it’s already picked for me, is true American blue not the Asian imposter and in a “cake” with only the tiniest bit of filler). I will say for me it’s a hierarchy with true blue and Dungeness tied for 1, Stone Crab and the Assundried “snow crabs” tied for third, and then all of the others whether SoCal “rock crabs”, peekytoe, king, golden, spider etc... all perfectly fine but not my preference (the SoCal rock Crab in particular looks amazingly tasty but everytime I’ve had it, it’s just bland).

thumb_600.jpg

Is it worth a trip from ft lauderdale?

You guys ever had the “ golden” crab at Rustic Inn crabhouse down here?

Blue crab are good but too much work

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I eat a lot of Stone Crab all year, it's so cheap here where I live. Pennies on the dollar compared to everywhere else in Florida. I get the "Large" ones for $19 per lb.
Where do you get them at? Claytons or Direct? You make the mustardaise for them as well? Might need get some since the season just opened up.

Reactions: cmanole
Where do you get them at? Claytons or Direct? You make the mustardaise for them as well? Might need get some since the season just opened up.
Direct, the Mediums are $14, Large $19, Jumbo $24 right now.

I make the Joe's recipe for sauce:

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon Colman's dry mustard, or more to taste,
  • 1 cup mayonnaise.
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire.
  • 1 teaspoon A-1 sauce.
  • 2 tablespoons light cream.
  • salt.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT