ADVERTISEMENT

Tallahassee crime?

Move along nothing to see here is usually the response on Tallahassee’s crime issues

The Sheriff's department would have everyone believe that it's their fault for not locking their doors at night. Because, no thief ever breaks a window or anything.

Are Killearn and/or Killearn Acres within Tally city limits?
In whose jurisdiction would this be?

I thought the car break-ins were a known thing. What bothers me is that the criminals are now willing to shoot at houses. That far more concerns me than broken glass in a car. Windows are replaceable. People getting killed cannot.

Reactions: jap 1 and noleone99
Maybe the cops could find a college age kid that they caught with some pot and scare them into being a confidential informant who goes undercover and buys some drugs, guns and stolen cars from this group. What could possibly go wrong?

BTW, I have read about a string of shootings in Tallahassee recently as well. Perhaps, police should focus more on serious crime than on busting underage drinking and issuing traffic tickets.

Lately? This has been going on for years in certain areas of Tallahassee. These guys are starting to get a little more brash though. The funny thing was the FB post where the lady that called 911 basically refuted the entire report written by LCSO. There timeline didn't match hers at all and she had a picture of the times she called 911. Not a good look for LCSO.

I used to have a TPD officer living next door to me in Killearn. He let me know this kind of thing has been happening in Killearn for well over a year. The auto break in that is. Not the drive by shootings.

Maybe the cops could find a college age kid that they caught with some pot and scare them into being a confidential informant who goes undercover and buys some drugs, guns and stolen cars from this group. What could possibly go wrong?

BTW, I have read about a string of shootings in Tallahassee recently as well. Perhaps, police should focus more on serious crime than on busting underage drinking and issuing traffic tickets.

If they do this then we might get another law on the books named after the deceased. So, there's that.

Is this woman going to be charged for assault? She said herself that she "HIT her husband awake".

How about the first guy who gets his gun and then drives around the neighborhood playing vigilante and shoots his gun?
Then when he gets shot at runs home and tells the wife to call 911?
WTH? That guy is an idiot.

In my little loop off Pedrick we have about a hundred homes. Between unmarked state troopers, LCSO, and TPD at least 10 homes have a cop car parked in the driveway.

I get a sense this wouldn’t be tolerated in my hood for a year.

How about the first guy who gets his gun and then drives around the neighborhood playing vigilante and shoots his gun?
Then when he gets shot at runs home and tells the wife to call 911?
WTH? That guy is an idiot.

In my little loop off Pedrick we have about a hundred homes. Between unmarked state troopers, LCSO, and TPD at least 10 homes have a cop car parked in the driveway.

I get a sense this wouldn’t be tolerated in my hood for a year.
Idiots wanting to be hero's who have no idea what they're doing almost always lead to more people getting shot.

I never really felt unsafe in Tallahassee, but that was 30 years ago.

What’s changed?
Gangs started moving up from South Florida back when I was high school over 20 years ago and we've been talking about what to do about it since then. It appears we've never really done anything about it and it's just gotten worse.

Reactions: Random_John
There's been bands of juveniles breaking into unlocked cars for a while and that's getting worse too but, not the same as these armed adults doing it. Much scarier. We had a car stolen from down our street but, it was juveniles and the owners left it unlocked.

Let's clarify something - IF you leave your car UNLOCKED with any sort of valuable items in the car, no one "breaks into" your car.
When I was still working, I managed gated upscale communities and there were several thefts from unlocked cars - people left wallets, purses, money, laptops/computers on front seats, but the worst thing was that many of these people left GUNS in their cars.
They'd call me and yell at me. "I pay you people dues and you need to make this stop". I've never handled stupid very well. Especially the woman who had three thefts and admitted her car was unlocked each time.

They eventually caught the teens doing it...two of the three lived in the community!

It's gotten so bad in Jax that all local network stations broadcast a message from JSO every night at 9 saying "have you locked your car?"

Provide a target rich environment and it's only a matter of time.

Let's clarify something - IF you leave your car UNLOCKED with any sort of valuable items in the car, no one "breaks into" your car.
When I was still working, I managed gated upscale communities and there were several thefts from unlocked cars - people left wallets, purses, money, laptops/computers on front seats, but the worst thing was that many of these people left GUNS in their cars.
They'd call me and yell at me. "I pay you people dues and you need to make this stop". I've never handled stupid very well. Especially the woman who had three thefts and admitted her car was unlocked each time.

They eventually caught the teens doing it...two of the three lived in the community!

It's gotten so bad in Jax that all local network stations broadcast a message from JSO every night at 9 saying "have you locked your car?"

Provide a target rich environment and it's only a matter of time.

I don’t leave anything of value in my car, and I leave it unlocked.
Had a friend get the top of her convertible cut open at the beach and they they didn’t even find anthing worth taking.
Screw that headache.

Somebody comes into my house tho...

If they hit localized areas, how difficult would it be to catch them? Just leave a car in the area unlocked with a remote silent alarm, a hidden camera and a purse with an exploding dye pack inside of it. Wait at the closest Dunkin Donuts and pounce when the alarm is set off.

Reactions: Random_John
If they hit localized areas, how difficult would it be to catch them? Just leave a car in the area unlocked with a remote silent alarm, a hidden camera and a purse with an exploding dye pack inside of it. Wait at the closest Dunkin Donuts and pounce when the alarm is set off.
Shoot, just go straight to an IED.

I don’t leave anything of value in my car, and I leave it unlocked.
Had a friend get the top of her convertible cut open at the beach and they they didn’t even find anthing worth taking.
Screw that headache.

Somebody comes into my house tho...

Yeah, I drive a soft top Jeep. The roof is fabric, the windows vinyl. The windows can be removed by unzipping them, yet my wife tells me all the time I should lock the doors. I don’t know that I own a single item that I could put in the vehicle that would be as costly to replace as it would cost if someone knifed their way in (assuming they didn’t know how to unzip the window to gain access). So yeah, I don’t lock my Jeep.

Yeah, I drive a soft top Jeep. The roof is fabric, the windows vinyl. The windows can be removed by unzipping them, yet my wife tells me all the time I should lock the doors. I don’t know that I own a single item that I could put in the vehicle that would be as costly to replace as it would cost if someone knifed their way in (assuming they didn’t know how to unzip the window to gain access). So yeah, I don’t lock my Jeep.
I can't disagree with that. The objective is to realize you should remove valuable items PERIOD.

Reactions: dmm5157
I can't disagree with that. The objective is to realize you should remove valuable items PERIOD.

Indeed. Typically the more st valuable thing left in the car is a pair of kids soccer cleats & shin guards. Maybe a thief would also get lucky & get a used ball, too.

Reactions: goldmom
No cigarette lighters? Dirty socks? Worn out loafers? Yestedays local paper? Publix reciept? Shees, you run a pretty tight ship Sea.

No cigarette lighters? Dirty socks? Worn out loafers? Yestedays local paper? Publix reciept? Shees, you run a pretty tight ship Sea.

Oh, all that stuff is there too, along with some McDonald’s bags. The cleats are just the most valuable.

Reactions: noleclone2
My wife had a soft top Jeep that we left unlocked for the same reason. Some idiot cut the top anyway. Thieves are stupid.

Idiots wanting to be hero's who have no idea what they're doing almost always lead to more people getting shot.

I'm half-surprised he hasn't been charged.
It's against the law to discharge a firearm over a dwelling or a right of way in FL.
Hard to believe he avoided both.
You're not permitted by law to fire 'warning shots'.

My wife had a soft top Jeep that we left unlocked for the same reason. Some idiot cut the top anyway. Thieves are stupid.
Used to leave my Wrangler parked on the street outside my condo in Midtown Atlanta. Only had one space, so I'd leave it on the curb close to the entrance and hope for the best. Never left anything in it, but had it rummaged through many times. Also had dummy actually PRY the window open, totally bending it almost horizontal to get in. Had to get that bent back into shape, which thankfully a body shop did for free. All the idiot had to do was unzip the freaking window. Also had the console lockbox broken open, when it wasn't even locked. I stopped locking the doors, but it but it didn't even matter. Oh, and Tally was always dangerous. I grew up in NY and S. Florida, but saw my first gunshot victim and gun pulled out in public within my first semester at FSU in 1990. Was killing time in a record store on Tennessee street, up the hill while waiting for a haircut in the same strip mall and some dude runs in and asks the clerk to call an ambulance. He had just been shot and there he is bleeding all over the floor as I'm perusing the latest Milli Vanilli release. Another time me and a group of friends were on the outdoor basketball courts by Landis or Jenny Murphy or whatever dorms and a group of black dudes on the next court started getting into it. One guy shouts about getting his gun and comes back a couple minutes later and pulls a pistol out of his bag like Boys n' the Hood. Thankfully he didn't use it.

If our local bumbling hero had been shot and killed in the drive by how more of an effort would the LEO's put into catching the bad guys vs say telling us locals to simply lock our cars?

ADVERTISEMENT