ADVERTISEMENT

Tesla

We've had a Leaf since '13. On our second one now (first was a 2 yr lease, current one 3 yr lease coming due in April '18. Love it. Don't even have a level 2 charger, just plug it in to 220v outlet overnight every 2-3 days. My wife drives it to work and we use it around town. Even with the first generation battery that gets less than 100 miles, it works perfectly for us as a second car. In April we're going to turn it in and try being a single-car family for a while. We live walking distance to a train station that goes right into downtown Atlanta. Wife will take the train during the week. We live 8 miles from downtown Atlanta where we both work. I wish there were more routine things I could do without a car. Would love to not have to rely on owning one.

Solar power use will eventually have these cars going forever without having to stop for a charge at all.
Not in the near or distant future. The amount of power needed from solar to constantly keep a car charged isn't in the realm of the size of the vehicle.

What is feasible is inductive charging built into roadways. This is already being tested, basically, drive down a certain 'charging lane' on the highway and you will be moving along and charging at the same time. That's the likely answer in the near long term.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT