ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest New Footie Thread

seminoleed

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I cannot see that anyone has posted on the old thread regarding the US/Mexico match, which I find highly unusual, so I'm going to assume that the old thread has finally died. (Over a thousand posts, gentlemen; that might be a record!)

Anyway, I'm starting this one up and I'll ask DFS to pin it and close up the old one.

Reactions: Stax63
Premier schedules for the upcoming season are out. The Arsenal opens at The Emirates with Leicester, and faces a miserable run of games over Christmas.

Lucky draw by Mexico, Quaresma shouldn't have had 3 goals.

praying for a cr7 return to United, it just feels right. Madrid fans are awful, only fans in the world who boo their best player if he fails to score in 1 game. though i was curious if they could win 3 straight CL.

Tottenham want £45m for England defender Kyle Walker, 27, who is a target for Manchester City. (Daily Star)

I realize this is only a rumor, but can someone please tell me when Kyle Walker became Roberto Carlos?

Tottenham want £45m for England defender Kyle Walker, 27, who is a target for Manchester City. (Daily Star)

I realize this is only a rumor, but can someone please tell me when Kyle Walker became Roberto Carlos?

Homegrown tax. With the top teams in the EPL all up against the 17 man international limit (most of the time), homegrown players are very valuable.

On a side note, it was nice to see that Mexico isn't just a cheap shot, dirty team against just the U.S. New Zealand must have thought a rugby game was breaking out today.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Wenger treats everybody like a scrub, though he seems to give French players more of a benefit of the doubt. How did Lucas Perez not get more time this year? Where was Holding earlier in the year after starting the season well?

The new wife of Southampton striker Manolo Gabbiadini posted this picture of their wedding cake…

_96600254_cake.jpg

There's a cake in that picture?!

Reactions: fsUTampa
I've always been kind meh on Tim Howard as the US keeper, but after watching
him play tonight against Atlanta United, I'm warming up. Dude can be really stellar, and he's also
a class act on the pitch. ATL Utd really had to work just to beat him 1-0.

Liverpool have enquired about Arsenal winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The 23-year-old could cost about £25m, with Manchester City and Chelsea also interested. (Mirror)

Hahahahahahah £25m!

That's all they think Ox would fetch in the open market?

A 23-year England International about to enter the prime of his career on a squad that may be losing their best attacker in Sanchez. To me, if Sanchez is worth ~£50 mil then Ox is worth £60-70, due to his age and the aforementioned English Premium.

What do you non-Arsenal fans think of Ox? How would you rate him? Am I crazy? (I may be)

Meanwhile...

However, Spurs have laughed off United's interest in the England international (Harry Kane), with chairman Daniel Levy valuing Kane at close to £200m. (Independent)

As an Arsenal fan I am so confused over transfer fees, both in & out of the club. It seems like Arsenal pay more for players and give away players for far less than they should. I don't know if it is me not understanding the market, or Wenger not being a good negotiator.

As for Sanchez & Ox, I personally think Sanchez should be more along the £60 mil range than the £50 mil price they have been discussing. Ox on the other hand to me is more like £35. Yes he is young, and English, but he is nowhere near the player Sanchez is, and he has had some injury issues.

A few other things I found interesting today...

West Ham are prepared to break their transfer record by paying more than £20m for Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud, 30. (Telegraph)

Lyon have ended their interest in Giroud, with the president of the French club claiming Arsenal want to keep him. (Evening Standard)

- and -

Arsenal and Manchester City are considering a straight swap deal involving 28-year-old Chile forward Alexis Sanchez and Argentina striker Sergio Aguero, 29.

If The Arsenal bring in that scumbag Aguero straight up for Sanchez, that would probably be the straw that breaks the camel' back for me. I'd be looking for a new team to support at that point.

Liverpool have enquired about Arsenal winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The 23-year-old could cost about £25m, with Manchester City and Chelsea also interested. (Mirror)

Hahahahahahah £25m!

That's all they think Ox would fetch in the open market?

A 23-year England International about to enter the prime of his career on a squad that may be losing their best attacker in Sanchez. To me, if Sanchez is worth ~£50 mil then Ox is worth £60-70, due to his age and the aforementioned English Premium.

What do you non-Arsenal fans think of Ox? How would you rate him? Am I crazy? (I may be)

Meanwhile...

However, Spurs have laughed off United's interest in the England international (Harry Kane), with chairman Daniel Levy valuing Kane at close to £200m. (Independent)

Difference b/w Sanchez and Ox is that Alexis is obviously proven consistent performer. Ox is also in the last year of his contract, but the demand for him isn't as high as it is for Sanchez. Most of the time when you're in the last year of your contract you get sold for pennies on the dollar. It's why eg. RVP went for only ~ £24M and not something like £50M (which would have been enormous in 2012).

Difference b/w Sanchez and Ox is that Alexis is obviously proven consistent performer. Ox is also in the last year of his contract, but the demand for him isn't as high as it is for Sanchez. Most of the time when you're in the last year of your contract you get sold for pennies on the dollar. It's why eg. RVP went for only ~ £24M and not something like £50M (which would have been enormous in 2012).
I hear what you're saying.

On the other hand, Tottenham want £45 mil for Kyle Walker, an average fullback.

If Sp*rs get £45 for Walker then Arsenal should get £45 for Ox. While I would love to say Ox is worth more than Walker, I don't think he has shown it on the pitch the past few years.

Personally I would rather they keep Ox with the new 3-4-3 formation they are playing. He can actually play on both sides or in the middle if necessary. So, he adds flexibility and depth to the roster.

If Sp*rs get £45 for Walker then Arsenal should get £45 for Ox. While I would love to say Ox is worth more than Walker, I don't think he has shown it on the pitch the past few years.

Personally I would rather they keep Ox with the new 3-4-3 formation they are playing. He can actually play on both sides or in the middle if necessary. So, he adds flexibility and depth to the roster.

Just curious, how long do you think Arsenal/Arsene sticks with the 3-4-3? I'm not sold we'll be seeing it in September/October. If the Gunners buy 3 CBs maybe, but that'll be damn expensive. EDIT: I don't mean 3 starters, just 3 in general as they need the depth to play it all season plus you know that Kos will miss 2 months somewhere.

re: Walker v Ox -> Walker's got 4 years left on his deal and Ox has one. If Spurs could sell him to someone outside of the PL, I'd venture to say they'd lower their asking price marginally but Levy is notoriously difficult to deal with.

Just curious, how long do you think Arsenal/Arsene sticks with the 3-4-3? I'm not sold we'll be seeing it in September/October. If the Gunners buy 3 CBs maybe, but that'll be damn expensive. EDIT: I don't mean 3 starters, just 3 in general as they need the depth to play it all season plus you know that Kos will miss 2 months somewhere.

re: Walker v Ox -> Walker's got 4 years left on his deal and Ox has one. If Spurs could sell him to someone outside of the PL, I'd venture to say they'd lower their asking price marginally but Levy is notoriously difficult to deal with.

Not sure how long they will stick with the 3-4-3. I read an interesting article yesterday where they broke down numbers and compared them (3-4-3 vs 4-2-3-1). Overall the defensive numbers didn't improve. The play of both Cech & Ospina did improve, but overall number of shots, quality shots and even goals remained the same. What did change was the attacking numbers. The conclusion was that if Arsenal had played 3-4-3 all season they would have probably scored approximately 10 additional goals. Would this have made a difference, most likely but not guaranteed.

As for the contract difference between Walker & Ox, I get it. However, if a club truly was going to but either, they could easily negotiate a new contract (Personal Terms) and make that contingent on the transfer, thus making them equal.

Leon Goretzka.

That is a name to watch in the next year or two. 2 goals in the first 8 minutes vs Mexico. Excellent finisher this guy!

This German 'B' team is friggin' GOOD!

They've been playing a counter-attacking style vs Mexico that is absolutely lethal.

Chile is in trouble!

Sanchez has "made up his mind."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...is-sanchez-confirms-he-has-decided-his-future

...but he doesn't say what his decision is.

The interesting thing about him DECIDING where he will play next year is that unless it is at Arsenal, he doesn't get to decide. We'd have to agree to sell him. He can't possibly think he can just decide to go to City and we'll say, "Sure thing...no problem."

Sadly, his lack of a handshake with Wenger after the FA Cup final tells me he's gone...as are our chances for much future success as well.

Tomorrow (Sat. July 1st) is a huge day for Chelsea. It marks the official start of our relationship with Nike as our kit maker (replacing Adidas) and there is expected to be signings announced.

Willy Caballero is expected (to replace Begovic as our #2),
Bakayako is also widely expected (but far from certain at this time).

Hoping that Lukaku and Sandro are going to join the party.

Rudiger also appears close. With Ake (offically) sold now, that opens up a spot. If Zouma is loaned out we may try to sign another CB as well.

Matic seems to be close to on his way out. United is the rumoured destination, but I'm hoping that we don't sell him there even if it means losing a bit of money on the transaction.

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt...

...and that was the German second team? Is there any reason to think they won't repeat as World Cup Champions next year? Based on history I don't think Brazil has a chance (have they ever won in Europe?), nobody from CONCACAF is going to challenge IMO, maybe France or Spain???

Seriously. But in truth, Chile badly outplayed them. One fluke bad pass and an inability to put any of those 22 shots in the net killed La Roja.

Kolasinac already in on a free earlier this summer.

Lacazette at Arsenal getting his medical today. Could be a Gooner by the end of the day!

Next - try your asses off to get Sanchez to stay.

And finally sign Mahrez and (let me dream) Mbappe!!

COYG!

The bad news of the day for Arsenal fans is that Cazorla might be out another 9 months. There are conflicting reports, but apparently he is still having issues with his Achilles and won't be back anytime soon. If this is the case, I think they need to add another central midfielder to play next to who ever they decide to play DM this year.

I also read that Wenger is still trying to get Mbappe. Is this a sign that he knows Alexis is leaving and he wants to bring someone else in? I firmly believe Lacazette & Mahrez will be Gunners during this transfer window, I'm just not sure there will be anyone else despite the need for more.

The bigger questions in my mind revolve around who is actually going to leave...Gibbs, Wilshere, Ox, Perez, Debuchy, anyone else?

Lacazette has officially been announced by the Arsenal Website.

Also, the Cazorla news I mentioned above has been confirmed, but the club is not placing a time table on his return. Unfortunately when they do this it is typically a long term thing, so I am now wondering if we see him in an Arsenal kit all year.

Time for Wenger to move on to his next target and hopefully bring in a few more top notch players to bolster the club.

Reactions: seminoleed
Man United hijacking Chelsea's Lukaku bid and in the process telling Real Madrid to suck it, on Morata.

Pretty baller of them, I must say.

Leicester holding out for £50 mil on Mahrez. We need him to become a little more vocal, expressing his desire to move to drive the price down a little.

Thomas Lemar apparently back on the table for €45mil. Could mean we tell Mahrez, thanks but no thanks anyway.

Last but not least, Sanchez apparently wants £400k/week. (Supposedly, Messi is on €500k/week.) Sanchez losing all of his Arsenal supporters w/this alleged news. I really want us to just run down his contract and let him go on a free next year.

Reactions: FSUdawg
Les - I think the £400k/week number is being thrown out there in an effort to force Arsenal to sell him. I don't believe Sanchez wants to be in London anymore and he is hoping that being vocal about weekly wages it will force the hand of Wenger so Arsenal can get something in return instead of losing him on a free next year.

The only way I would sell him is if someone outside the EPL came calling. I wouldn't sell him to City for any amount of cash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT