ADVERTISEMENT

The Masters

noleone99

Seminole Insider
Jun 17, 2009
Who ya got? @DFSNOLE can we please have a civil Masters thread without deletion? Because it’s kinda hard to talk Masters without mentioning him. Who knows how he’ll do. I know you’ll be pulling for him to miss the cut but they’ll be a lot more people pulling for him to contend. That said, I got Phil.

Who ya got? @DFSNOLE can we please have a civil Masters thread without deletion? Because it’s kinda hard to talk Masters without mentioning him. Who knows how he’ll do. I know you’ll be pulling for him to miss the cut but they’ll be a lot more people pulling for him to contend. That said, I got Phil.
If you go over to the PGSF you'll see who I picked in the FedEx Cup thread.

Fuzzy Zoeller?

A friend went up to play with two of his grandkids. I'll ask when he gets back.

Reactions: cmanole
Want to win: Tiger

Think will win: Rory

I assume Tiger is a featured group on masters.com tomorrow? If not, they must be stupid.

Reactions: noleone99
Yesterday's Tiger-Phil Bromance seemed orchestrated to me. Think corporate handlers and spin-meisters trying to make both of them more marketable. Could be wrong, of course, but just seemed strained and fake to me. And what the hell shirt was Mickelson wearing????? I don't think I have ever before seen a long-sleeve button-down on tour.

It will never be genuine between those two. I do think Tiger is an improved individual and would love that Tiger/Phil showdown in a major we never got...

Think it will go Euro again this year. Noren, Rose, Casey, all playing well.

What’s the Masters?

p10248_p_v8_aa.jpg

John Daly, I want to see him amble up the 18th to thunderous applause, wearing plaid, double knit slacks, a cig in his mouth, swigging on a can of Busch Light.

He will be outside the ropes....he's not in the field. You can find him at Hooters selling his merchandise though, he'll be there all week.

I simply find it difficult with Tiger (42) or Phil (47) can end up with the Green jacket Sunday....or win any other major ever. History (and injuries) are certainly working against them. Only four golfers over the age of 40 have won a Major since 1980, and that number shrinks to zero since the US Open in 1990, an eye-opening 106 opportunities. Can they contend, sure, but stringing together four rounds in any Major has seemed to elude yesterday's and today's greats, particularly in the last three decades. Here's to a great tournament.

OLDEST PLAYERS TO WIN A MAJOR

Julius Boros, 1968 PGA Championship, 48 years, 4 months, 18 days
Tom Morris, Sr., 1867 Open Championship, 46 years, 3 months, 10 days
Jack Nicklaus, 1986 Masters Tournament, 46 years, 2 months, 23 days
Jerry Barber, 1961 PGA Championship, 45 Years, 3 months, 6 days
Hale Irwin, 1990 U.S. Open, 45 years, 15 days
Lee Trevino, 1984 PGA Championship, 44 years, 8 months, 18 days
Roberto De Vicenzo, 1967 Open Championship, 44 years, 3 months, 1 days
Harry Vardon, 1914 Open Championship, 44 years, 1 month, 10 days
Raymond Floyd, 1986 U.S. Open, 43 years, 9 months, 11 days
Ted Ray, 1920 U.S. Open, 43 years, 4 months, 16 days

Last edited:
Jason Day, Phil, Bubba, Justin Thomas are my favorites. Tiger makes the cut but ends up 6 strokes behind the winner. Tiger will have to hit driver if he wants to contend, and be able to work the ball. He hasn't done well with his driver since he's been back. Joe LaCava will be worth a few strokes in Tiger's favor over 4 days. Tiger hasn't played on greens like Augusta National's yet this year.

Cool and windy Thursday and Friday, with a chance of thunderstorms Saturday. Weather will favor big hitters under both conditions.

I simply find it difficult with Tiger (42) or Phil (47) can end up with the Green jacket Sunday....or win any other major ever. History (and injuries) are certainly working against them. Only four golfers over the age of 40 have won a Major since 1980, and that number shrinks to zero since the US Open in 1990, an eye-opening 106 opportunities. Can they contend, sure, but stringing together four rounds in any Major has seemed to elude yesterday's and today's greats, particularly in the last three decades. Here's to a great tournament.

Those runner ups at majors are absurd. That right there almost changes my mind lol.

But tiger from a standpoint of changing the game of golf, making it cool, the amount of money he brought in, etc is insane as well.

But everything you posted about age is why I have my doubts in the first place.. it’s just so hard to win, let alone in your 40s. But if there’s anyone to do it, it’s tiger

I simply find it difficult with Tiger (42) or Phil (47) can end up with the Green jacket Sunday....or win any other major ever. History (and injuries) are certainly working against them. Only four golfers over the age of 40 have won a Major since 1980, and that number shrinks to zero since the US Open in 1990

Maybe I'm misreading this... but surely Phill was over 40 when he won the British... no? Darren Clark and Vijay also come to mind as being pretty old when they one majors.

Maybe I'm misreading this... but surely Phill was over 40 when he won the British... no? Darren Clark and Vijay also come to mind as being pretty old when they one majors.

I thought so too. I remember Darren Clark winning one late.. as did Ernie went Adam Scott melted down

I don’t think that’s accurate.

Pretty sure Vijay Singh won a major after his 40th.

Reactions: FSUDoles
Mark O’Meara ‘98 Masters is another one, 41 years old.

Reactions: FSUDoles
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT