ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread...

LesClaypool

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 12, 2004
Tallahassee
Let's begin with news from the 2026 World Cup first! As of 7:00am ET, it's official!

35286525_1691803914201030_2280976205131808768_n.png

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...exico-canada-joint-bid-wins-fifa-hosting-vote

tenor.gif
giphy.gif

I'm picking Brazil to win the whole thing, w/a vengeful thrashing of Germany in the Final, to get back their lost dignity from the 2014 World Cup.

Awesome news. I will not, as tempted as I am, write anything about building a wall changing the outcome of the vote;-)

Anyway, I just saw that Spain fired their manager on the eve of the WC:
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/spain-...p-amid-real-madrid-controversy-101319421.html
Even the our athletic department wouldn't do something like that, right? Sheesh.

Go England (sticking with the family lineage). Italy and our boys aren't there this year :-(

Last edited:
I'm not usually a rah-rah flag waver when it comes to sports but am finding it more than a little difficult to think about watching all these matches with no dog in the fight.

Probably just will skim the group play and then hone in during group play.

Reactions: FSU_Chris
Does this mean 3 automatic bids? That might piss off some country(ies) on the cusp of getting in.
Yes it does, but (unfortunately, IMO) the World Cup is expanding to a 48-Team format in 2026, so there will be several other teams, like Canada, who would usually have had no chance of qualifying, also in the final field.

Fifa hasn’t decided on 26 qualification yet, however there are possibilities that Mexico and Canada will still have to qualify, with USA hosting 80% games they are hosts.

New Concacaf bidding should go from 3.5 bids to about 5. I don’t believe we’ll get 6-7 as some analysts keep saying.

Fifa hasn’t decided on 26 qualification yet, however there are possibilities that Mexico and Canada will still have to qualify, with USA hosting 80% games they are hosts.

New Concacaf bidding should go from 3.5 bids to about 5. I don’t believe we’ll get 6-7 as some analysts keep saying.
60 of the 80 matches in the 2026 World Cup will be played in the United States, including all of the matches from the quarterfinals forward. That much has been decided.

Deutschland for the repeat, would love to watch them humiliate Brazil again, even though it obviously could never match what they did to them in Rio. Heart says Germany, head takes the field.

Reactions: runkpanole
They might as well let all 3 in with automatic bids since the field is being expanded to 48. The US & Mexico would qualify anyhow, so they are really only giving Canada a pass.

It isn't like having Canada in the World Cup in 2026 will water down the field. There are already going to be some crappy teams there with the expanded field.

Deutschland for the repeat, would love to watch them humiliate Brazil again, even though it obviously could never match what they did to them in Rio. Heart says Germany, head takes the field.
This. If the US can't even get in, I have to go with the ancestral motherland. The other side of my heritage is not very good at any sports that I'm aware of.

Reactions: nynole1
Deutchsland uber alles, if they play to their potential. On paper, they're twice as good as any other team in the world. Brazil, Belgium and Argentina are prolly the best bets to knock them off. I'll support the motherland until they (inevitably) lose, and my Cinderella team will be Iceland. Would love to see them do what they did in the last Euros.

Reactions: nynole1
The potential US cities are as follow. FIFA will narrow the field to 10 cities. I hope the world enjoy's terribly named stadiums.

I think 7 are locks, highlighted in bold. 3 more are likely, in italics.

LA (Rose Bowl)
NYC (Metlife [NJ])

DC (Fedex [MD])
Dallas (ATT Stadium)
Baltimore (M&T Bank)
SF/SJ (Levi's)
Orlando (Camping World)
KC (Arrowhead)
Denver (Sports Authority at Mile High)
Houston (NRG)
ATL (M-B Stadium)
Philly (Lincoln Financial Field)
Nashville (Nissan Stadium)
Seattle (CenturyLink)
Boston (Gillette)
Cincy (Paul Brown)
Miami (Doak South)

I don't see DC and Bmore getting it, obviously. And I don't see DC, Philly, and Boston all getting one (NYC def will) creating 4 northeast cities, plus a 5th and 6th very close by in Toronto and Montreal.

I could see Nashville or Houston sneaking in there. Maybe Orlando b/c visitors love Disney.

Canada's 3 are decided: Montreal, Edmonton, Toronto.
Mexico's as well: CDMX, Monterrey, Guadalajara

Last edited:
Here’s an article on which stadiums could host matches in 2026. I’m not sure if these were part of the actual bid, or if this is just some knucklehead making projections...

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...xico-and-canada-which-venues-could-host-games

So the fun thing about AT&T Stadium is that the playing surface isn't FIFA regulation. So Jerry has roughly 8 years to make the field boxes a little smaller so he can expand the field. Big forehead slaps down here after the stadium opened and they realized they couldn't host a full FIFA international match.

Unless there's been an exception made and the above is moo.

This. If the US can't even get in, I have to go with the ancestral motherland. The other side of my heritage is not very good at any sports that I'm aware of.
Couple of things that could derail them:

GK controversy - Neuer(Germany's #1) is arguably the best keeper in the world, but he hasn't played in months. ter Steven is top flight, and should probably start.

Striker - seemingly always an issue. Will it be young star Werner who steps up on his first big stage, or will they be forced to rely on old man Gomez.

Chemistry - the national team won last year's tournament cup with virtually zero "superstars" on the roster. How does Loew find his best 11 now that both the young and old have proven to be championship level?

The potential US cities are as follow. FIFA will narrow the field to 10 cities. I hope the world enjoy's terribly named stadiums.

I think 7 are locks, highlighted in bold. 3 more are likely, in italics.

LA (Rose Bowl)
NYC (Metlife [NJ])

DC (Fedex [MD])
Dallas (ATT Stadium)
Baltimore (M&T Bank)
SF/SJ (Levi's)
Orlando (Camping World)
KC (Arrowhead)
Denver (Sports Authority at Mile High)
Houston (NRG)
ATL (M-B Stadium)
Philly (Lincoln Financial Field)
Nashville (Nissan Stadium)
Seattle (CenturyLink)
Boston (Gillette)
Cincy (Paul Brown)
Miami (Doak South)

I don't see DC and Bmore getting it, obviously. And I don't see DC, Philly, and Boston all getting one (NYC def will) creating 4 northeast cities, plus a 5th and 6th very close by in Toronto and Montreal.

I could see Nashville or Houston sneaking in there. Maybe Orlando b/c visitors love Disney.

Canada's 3 are decided: Montreal, Edmonton, Toronto.
Mexico's as well: CDMX, Monterrey, Guadalajara

Houston NRG is probably a lock. International friendlies sell out and installing grass is not a problem because the stadium had grass until last year. Denver's altitude is an issue. Although Mex City is higher, there are limited WC quality stadiums.

Atlanta and Dallas are listed as semifinal proposed cities with NYC as the obvious final locale.

Couple of things that could derail them:

GK controversy - Neuer(Germany's #1) is arguably the best keeper in the world, but he hasn't played in months. ter Steven is top flight, and should probably start.

Striker - seemingly always an issue. Will it be young star Werner who steps up on his first big stage, or will they be forced to rely on old man Gomez.

Chemistry - the national team won last year's tournament cup with virtually zero "superstars" on the roster. How does Loew find his best 11 now that both the young and old have proven to be championship level?
I think that’s very good analysis of Germany.

Also it’s just plain tough to repeat in any sport at any level.

I think that’s very good analysis of Germany.

Also it’s just plain tough to repeat in any sport at any level.
Completely agree, which is why I wouldn't bet on them. Also, anything can happen in knockout roubds and best team doesn't always win, i.e. Portugal in the Euro.

Atlanta and Dallas are listed as semifinal proposed cities with NYC as the obvious final locale.
Was surprised to see the Rose Bowl listed rather than the new Rams complex in Inglewood. Perhaps they'll switch that out. Certainly think it would be great to have one of the semis in LA with the other in the aluminum sphincter, provided they can install grass.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
Was surprised to see the Rose Bowl listed rather than the new Rams complex in Inglewood. Perhaps they'll switch that out. Certainly think it would be great to have one of the semis in LA with the other in the aluminum sphincter, provided they can install grass.

I would think the time zones has a lot to do with the selection....want to make sure most of the EU is still awake for the final. The final at 3PM would be difficult for the entire EU.

Atlanta is also up against Dallas to be the international broadcast center, which makes sense with all of our content creators (CNN/Turner) based here (at least for now).

Darren Eales: "Atlanta was front and center of the World Cup Bid"

“FIFA chose two cities to tour and chose New York and Atlanta earlier in the year. Atlanta was front and center of this bid. If you saw any of the footage of the 15-minute video that the United bid was allowed to show to the voters, half of it was Atlanta. We were able to demonstrate here that soccer has taken off in America. Atlanta United averages 53,000 in attendance, which ranks 15th in the entire world. This is our way of saying, ‘If we can do this in Atlanta, imagine what we can do in America with an eight year head start’. That was one of the factors that swayed the vote.”

Eales didn’t mince words when discussing the impact Atlanta United and the city’s history of hosting major events had on the bid selection committee.

”We’ve got Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the best stadium in the world. We’ve got a city that’s used to putting on big events like the Super Bowl, we’ve had the Olympics, and now we have Atlanta United which is showing that this is the biggest soccer city in America...the passion and energy is unlike anywhere else and I think that’s a factor that really impressed the FIFA technical committee. They came to the stadium, they watched a match, and realized that this is a place that absolutely gets soccer.”

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/20...as-front-and-center-of-the-2026-world-cup-bid

Darren Eales: "Atlanta was front and center of the World Cup Bid"

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/20...as-front-and-center-of-the-2026-world-cup-bid
Atlanta United averages 53,000 in attendance, which ranks 15th in the entire world. This is our way of saying, ‘If we can do this in Atlanta, imagine what we can do in America with an eight year head start’. That was one of the factors that swayed the vote.”

I don't understand the significance of that statement.

On no level is attendance going to be an issue for a World Cup in the USA. People will come from all over the world to attend, in addition to the already (especially by then) rabid soccer fan culture that's growing and has grown here in the states.

Put it anywhere, in any of those cities, and the venues will sell out.

Attendance will not be an issue.

Atlanta United averages 53,000 in attendance, which ranks 15th in the entire world. This is our way of saying, ‘If we can do this in Atlanta, imagine what we can do in America with an eight year head start’. That was one of the factors that swayed the vote.”

On no level is attendance going to be an issue for a World Cup in the USA. People will come from all over the world to attend, in addition to the already (especially by then) rabid soccer fan culture that's growing and has grown here in the states.

I just laughed when they called MB Stadium the best in the world. It was an expensive stadium, cheaply done, that still has engineering problems.

I just laughed when they called MB Stadium the best in the world. It was an expensive stadium, cheaply done, that still has engineering problems.
I wasn't advocating or criticizing any of the cities or venues.

My point is that you can put the matches anywhere and they'll sell out.

The way the ticket allotment works (or at least the way that it has worked) w/FIFA, is that you put in for tickets before you even know which matches are going to be played at which venue...like buying Tix to the ACC Championship before you know if FSU will be playing in it.

They allot some other tickets for the traveling fans from those nations participating in the matches, but the vast majority (I'm reasonably sure) are purchased in advance by people who don't necessarily have a dog in the fight.

Will attendance be an issue if ticket prices are $2000 a head for the expanded field in the group stage, especially a match of Israel vs Niger? I think it is a partially a statement about demand and obviously high demand with limited supply with curate higher profits for FIFIA.

Also, I do not think Eales was speaking completely about attendance, but to the enthusiasm around soccer here in the States since the last world cup, it has changed dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will attendance be an issue if ticket prices are $2000 a head for the expanded field in the group stage, especially a match of Israel vs Niger? I think it is a partially a statement about demand and obviously high demand with limited supply with curate higher profits for FIFIA.

Also, I do not think Eales was speaking completely about attendance, but to the enthusiasm around soccer here in the States since the last world cup, it has changed dramatically.
Why do you insist on making a civil discussion, contentious? It's your M.O. and it's really lame and tiring.

Anyway...read my earlier post on the way FIFA allots tickets. You don't know what matches you're getting in advance. You enter a lottery, give them your credit card, and then you get tickets or you don't at a later date. Or at least that's how it worked when I got tickets for South Africa 2010. I suppose it's possible that things have changed or that they could change in the future.

As I also said in a recent post, I agree that fan culture, ie enthusiasm has changed infinitely for the better...which will only help.

Why do you insist on making a civil discussion, contentious? It's your M.O. and it's really lame and tiring.

Anyway...read my earlier post on the way FIFA allots tickets. You don't know what matches you're getting in advance. You enter a lottery, give them your credit card, and then you get tickets or you don't at a later date. Or at least that's how it worked when I got tickets for South Africa 2010. I suppose it's possible that things have changed or that they could change in the future.

As I also said in a recent post, I agree that fan culture, ie enthusiasm has changed infinitely for the better...which will only help.

I know how the ticketing system works. That has no relevance to your earlier post about what Eales said with regard to demand. If the demand is not there, the profit will not be as high. If there are 70k people in Atlanta wanting to watch a mid-season MLS match, then, certainly there will be that many, if not more wanting to watch a World Cup group stage, so in turn, the ticket prices can be set accordingly. What Eales said is extremely significant to the bid.

Sweet. Perhaps type out why you think so rather than just casting aspersions. You know, articulate the thought.

Or, maybe just admit you misspoke and save us both some time? Unless you work for Darden or Holder, I cannot imagine how you would know how 'cheaply' a project of this magnitude was constructed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT