ADVERTISEMENT

The one pro sport Atlanta gets right

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
ATL UTD’s record-breaking crowd ranked #4 in world soccer this weekend

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2018/03/12/atl-utd-s-record-breaking-crowd-ranked-4-world-soccer-weekend

I'm amazed at how well the attendance for soccer here is. Atlanta has the braves, hawks, and falcons (used to have the thrashers).....and is known as loserville. The other pro games games against any of those opponents whether its Boston, Chicago, New York, LA or almost anyone will always have a large contingent, and generally a half/fourth of the road crowd will be louder than the cheering for the Atlanta teams. I know soccer isn't overly big in those MLS cities where they will not have a large road contingent, so the stadium is 99% Atlanta United fans. Also, that's right, its not effing UGA Bulldogs football.... great to see some excitement in this state thats not UGA red and black but Atlanta Utd. 5 stripes, red and black.

I went a few times last year and again on Sunday-- its a rowdy (but clean fun chants) singing, drums playing, a fan walk to the stadium... just terrific atmosphere. Atlanta the US soccer capital?!??!??!

Reactions: DanC78
I don't think it's all that strange. Tons of transplants in ATL, and while most come from cuties where they are very loyal to the big 4 teams, almost no one gives a crap about American soccer. I think it gives people a common team to root for with their new found friends.

Orlando is experiencing something similar. Downtown is much more packed pregame for Orlando City games than Magic games.

To tell you how much I pay attention to hockey, I had no clue the Thrashers moved. Apparently, I’m about 7 years behind the times.

Reactions: GwinnettNole
For the life of me I can’t fathom being a MLS fan. I get EPL even though I don’t care for soccer but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a second of a MLS game.

For the life of me I can’t fathom being a MLS fan. I get EPL even though I don’t care for soccer but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a second of a MLS game.

Local fan supporting home team? I get that it’s not top quality but neither is college football (NFL), right?

ATL UTD’s record-breaking crowd ranked #4 in world soccer this weekend

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2018/03/12/atl-utd-s-record-breaking-crowd-ranked-4-world-soccer-weekend

I'm amazed at how well the attendance for soccer here is. Atlanta has the braves, hawks, and falcons (used to have the thrashers).....and is known as loserville. The other pro games games against any of those opponents whether its Boston, Chicago, New York, LA or almost anyone will always have a large contingent, and generally a half/fourth of the road crowd will be louder than the cheering for the Atlanta teams. I know soccer isn't overly big in those MLS cities where they will not have a large road contingent, so the stadium is 99% Atlanta United fans. Also, that's right, its not effing UGA Bulldogs football.... great to see some excitement in this state thats not UGA red and black but Atlanta Utd. 5 stripes, red and black.

I went a few times last year and again on Sunday-- its a rowdy (but clean fun chants) singing, drums playing, a fan walk to the stadium... just terrific atmosphere. Atlanta the US soccer capital?!??!??!

Lots of Brazilians, Columbians and Mexicans in Atlanta who love soccer. A female cousin of mine married a former Brazilian professional soccer player about a decade ago and now they tailgate like it’s actual football at the soccer matches. And they still treat it ridiculously serious, he was in a club level soccer team of all Brazilians and when they took on a soccer team of all Mexicans about five to seven years ago they got into such a vicious fight that one of his team members got stabbed and he had his jaw broken.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
It's great to see Atlanta succeed so quickly. They play a fun style of soccer even if the results didn't show last year. Nagbe is going to be a beast for them.

I hate Dan and Clark Hunt for drilling FC Dallas in to the ground. Playing in the Cotton Bowl was never a long term success project, but you had such a large fan base already built in there in the Fair Park area. To move the team to Frisco because you got a deal on the land and stadium though? Folks (most part) don't want to drive from South Dallas or East Dallas to Frisco for games and public transit stops about 6 miles south of the stadium (because Frisco doesn't want to the hoodrats that DART routinely caters to apparently.)

But it's cool, we're getting the US Soccer Hall of Fame built in to the stadium now, so the games on TV look like they're playing in a construction zone. Wait, they kinda are.

even if the results didn't show last year.

Eh. We were a point from getting a top 2 seed and a bye...A laser from Giovinco in the 84th in our home closer was the killer. Then ran into a hot Columbus team and a lot of woodwork.

Arguably one of the most successful first season for an expansion team in any league?

Arguably one of the most successful first season for an expansion team in any league?

Eh... Vegas may have something to say about that in the NHL this season, but they were also set up to be successful. Bettman's way of saying "thanks for that $650m expansion fee."

Lots of Brazilians, Columbians and Mexicans in Atlanta who love soccer. A female cousin of mine married a former Brazilian professional soccer player about a decade ago and now they tailgate like it’s actual football at the soccer matches. And they still treat it ridiculously serious, he was in a club level soccer team of all Brazilians and when they took on a soccer team of all Mexicans about five to seven years ago they got into such a vicious fight that one of his team members got stabbed and he had his jaw broken.

I've been to a bunch of games. My guess is that is that at least a third of the fans are Latino. They are a passionate bunch and take the game and gameday routine very seriously. These games are a blast to go to. It doesn't hurt that the team is pretty darn good (by MLS standards). Arthur Blank can buy a great lineup in soccer for less than one year of Matt Ryan's salary.

Goodness.
The match Sunday, from what I saw, was 70% pure white bread. There was no one with dip in their mouth, all though I did see some UGA hats.

I will say one generation that stands out to me is the millennials. They are the rowdiest in the supporters section (think similar to the students section at a college game)-- good number of them have their scarves, thick glasses, and sing cool/quirky songs. Many look like young professionals that let loose at games.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Local fan supporting home team? I get that it’s not top quality but neither is college football (NFL), right?
College football is much different. First off it’s not a NFL competitor, it’s more like AA baseball. Secondly there are tremendous traditions and rivalries. MLS is just a second tier soccer league that gets second rate players. The only thing comparable I guess would be some of the Euro basketball leagues.

The only thing comparable I guess would be some of the Euro basketball leagues.

I think that's a good comparison. If you're a basketball fan, you know that there is some good ball played over there. There definitely a drop off in talent, as compared to the NBA, but the games can be entertaining and many of the fan-bases are really good.

I was very surprised how well ATL did last season. It must be their keeper that is bringing in the large crowds.:p

Chattanooga has one of the largest draws for national amateur league in the country at 2-3K per match and recently formed a partnership with Bundesliga VfL Wolfsburg. Nashville received a MLS expansion team. The US national men/women friendlies have played to a sell out crowds the last couple of years. While it is not to the level of college football and maybe never will be soccer appears to be more popular than ever in the south.

Last edited:
These soccer only stadiums have been huge for the MLS. Seattle, Portland and Orlando are other markets the MLS has thrived recently.

These soccer only stadiums have been huge for the MLS. Seattle, Portland and Orlando are other markets the MLS has thrived recently.

Hmmm... not sure that ties directly with the OP. ATL plays in a football/multi-use stadium, as does Seattle. Fairly certain Portland plays in a converted baseball stadium. NYCFC plays in Yankee Stadium (which makes for some AWFUL soccer.)

Toronto plays in a stadium that was originally built soccer-only. BMO Field was later renovated to allow CFL football.

Hmmm... not sure that ties directly with the OP. ATL plays in a football/multi-use stadium, as does Seattle. Fairly certain Portland plays in a converted baseball stadium. NYCFC plays in Yankee Stadium (which makes for some AWFUL soccer.)
I like soccer every 4 years for the world cup and no more so I am hardly an expert. My point was more that the MLS games were being played in smaller venues, many dedicate to the soccer team. Here in Denver, the Rapids really took off once they stopped playing in the 76,000 seat Mile High Stadium and went to Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Put 18,000 fans in a 20,000 seat venue and you have quite the atmosphere. Put them in a huge stadium and the place feels empty.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
and is known as loserville.

To each their own. Never even considered it.

I do wish the Liberty Media deal never happened though.

The Atlanta United game on Sunday was a lot of fun. The cardio level of the one end zone crew is elite.

Yankee stadiums width is odd for soccer. I get in baseball having different field lengths and crevasses around the park are cool (short right field porch, Green Monster, etc) but for soccer the pitch just doesn’t look right at Yankee stadium because of the width.

And yes I said “pitch” :)

Yankee stadiums width is odd for soccer. I get in baseball having different field lengths and crevasses around the park are cool (short right field porch, Green Monster, etc) but for soccer the pitch just doesn’t look right at Yankee stadium because of the width.

And yes I said “pitch” :)

Solid usage of the proper terminology sir. :)

Fun fact: AT&T Stadium cannot hold fully sanctioned FIFA events due to the fact that the dimensions were not certified with FIFA. I believe the pitch is also too narrow for full internationals. Go Jerruh!

I agree with the point that smaller soccer dedicated stadiums are key to a successful environment. I also think that while this is great in Atlanta right now, give it time to really see if it is a success. Its in the new stadium with a new team. Lets see where it is 3-4 years from now, especially if not having great success. The measure of a town isnt how it does when a new team moves in or has great success, but how is the support in tough times.

ATL was kickin it before MB Stadium opened up. They were playing at Bobby Dodd and it looked like the place was rockin just fine. Sadly, I think American interest is somewhat equal parts winner and exciting product. If you put a squad out that basically plays kickball with some sprinters on the outside and ONE quality forward to poach rebounds, I think that team would be fairly well received, though the quality would be awful from traditional standards.

College football is much different. First off it’s not a NFL competitor, it’s more like AA baseball. Secondly there are tremendous traditions and rivalries. MLS is just a second tier soccer league that gets second rate players. The only thing comparable I guess would be some of the Euro basketball leagues.

And you know about all this how? For the life of me I can’t fathom being a MLS fan. I get EPL even though I don’t care for soccer but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a second of a MLS game.

Goodness.
The match Sunday, from what I saw, was 70% pure white bread. There was no one with dip in their mouth, all though I did see some UGA hats.

I will say one generation that stands out to me is the millennials. They are the rowdiest in the supporters section (think similar to the students section at a college game)-- good number of them have their scarves, thick glasses, and sing cool/quirky songs. Many look like young professionals that let loose at games.

Sounds like a bunch of hipster dorks trying too hard to replicate fanbases in Europe.

Sounds like a bunch of hipster dorks trying too hard to replicate fanbases in Europe.
Well if that were the case they'd be blowing vuvuzelas (sp?), fighting in the stands, threatening referees with physical violence, and yelling racial slurs at the players of color.

Reactions: seminoleed
Orlando City had to build their own stadium because the Citrus Bowl was too busy.

ATL was kickin it before MB Stadium opened up. They were playing at Bobby Dodd and it looked like the place was rockin just fine. Sadly, I think American interest is somewhat equal parts winner and exciting product. If you put a squad out that basically plays kickball with some sprinters on the outside and ONE quality forward to poach rebounds, I think that team would be fairly well received, though the quality would be awful from traditional standards.

How is that different than anywhere else?

Attendance Avg.

1 Manchester United 74.955
2 Tottenham Hotspur 68.324
3 Arsenal FC 59.295
4 West Ham United 56.886
5 Manchester City 53.695

Wins

1Manchester City 26
2Manchester United 20
3Tottenham Hotspur 18
4Liverpool 17
5Chelsea 17
6Arsenal 14

If you grew up with these teams than your fan support may not wane during down years. Kids growing up and attending MLS games will view these clubs differently than we do.

I am not sure relying on kickball to win games is that exciting due to the difficulty in consistently winning. It is the shot that keeps you from losing or winning the game that bring the excitement and you can see that in how the players react. But I do agree that most people including myself would hate to sit through an entire game where a team is parking the bus.

What's the price point for ATL United games?

Gotta think it's more accessible than Falcons games and hence a fun chance to hang out, get a little rowdy, without breaking the bank or dealing with overly corporate/overproduced NFL/MLB games.

How is that different than anywhere else?

Attendance Avg.

1 Manchester United 74.955
2 Tottenham Hotspur 68.324
3 Arsenal FC 59.295
4 West Ham United 56.886
5 Manchester City 53.695

Wins

1Manchester City 26
2Manchester United 20
3Tottenham Hotspur 18
4Liverpool 17
5Chelsea 17
6Arsenal 14

If you grew up with these teams than your fan support may not wane during down years. Kids growing up and attending MLS games will view these clubs differently than we do.

I am not sure relying on kickball to win games is that exciting due to the difficulty in consistently winning. It is the shot that keeps you from losing or winning the game that bring the excitement and you can see that in how the players react. But I do agree that most people including myself would hate to sit through an entire game where a team is parking the bus.

Apples:eek:ranges... equating EPL attendance figures for a season to American interest in soccer is not really feasible. Extrapolated out over a decade or so, could bear more relevance from a winning culture perspective though. Sidenote, slightly caught off guard by the West Ham attendance number for the season.

Reactions: SoddyNole

Gotta think it's more accessible than Falcons games and hence a fun chance to hang out, get a little rowdy, without breaking the bank or dealing with overly corporate/overproduced NFL/MLB games.

I don' know although I imagine the stadium itself is a big draw. Not sure why any serious team would want to play on turf though.

They have the affordable concessions pricing for all events there, right? I'd think that's a good draw. Spend $60 for a quality ticket on center stripe, and $20 for food/beverages... appealing, I'd imagine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT