ADVERTISEMENT

The solar eclipse

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
Looks like Nashville and north Georgia will get the full effect. Houston is pretty far outside the "full eclipse" realm, so I don't know if it will be worth staying up late to watch it.

Apparently everyone is coming to Nashville for the eclipse. I tried to get a flight home from Chicago on Friday...fuhgettaboutit.

What do our flat earth friends have to say about all this?

simpsons-mr-burns-blocks-out-the-sun1-640x353.jpg

Amazing the money people are spending to see something that lasts a few minutes. And with the weather, you are not guaranteed clear vision of it. Ellijay will be 99% dark. Close enough for me. Will stand in my front yard and look.

Yep exactly that, they claim that either there's a mysterious unseeable disk that comes between the earth and the sun and moon. Or else the sun and moon each produce their own light and literally turn off.

Maybe I'm not getting something, but I really don't understand why people are so excited about this. It's a coincidence that the sun and the moon will be in a line with the Earth for a minute. It's not really a phenomenon or a big event, at least to me. It's just a random thing that's going to happen for a couple of minutes. But still, there are people flying to other parts of the country to (hopefully) get a better look at it.

I have a friend from high school who's posing the question on Facebook of whether she should pull her kids out of school so they can see it, versus the school showing the eclipse to the students via NASA TV. I couldn't imagine pulling my kid out of school, or paying to go to Tennessee, to look through a shoe box or whatever to see a big shadow for a minute.

I get that it doesn't happen very often, but does it really matter?

Maybe I'm not getting something, but I really don't understand why people are so excited about this. It's a coincidence that the sun and the moon will be in a line with the Earth for a minute. It's not really a phenomenon or a big event, at least to me. It's just a random thing that's going to happen for a couple of minutes. But still, there are people flying to other parts of the country to (hopefully) get a better look at it.

I have a friend from high school who's posing the question on Facebook of whether she should pull her kids out of school so they can see it, versus the school showing the eclipse to the students via NASA TV. I couldn't imagine pulling my kid out of school, or paying to go to Tennessee, to look through a shoe box or whatever to see a big shadow for a minute.

I think it'd be comical if folks are spending all this money on it and all of a sudden there's a line of thunderstorms that pass thru the direct path, so all they see is rain drops and clouds.

I think if you're on the track and it will turn completely dark for a few minutes, that would be pretty cool.

Why does it really matter when some 19yo that can barely speak English holds on to a ball and runs past eleven 18-22 yos for an arbitrary short distance no more than a mere 100 yards and crosses a finish line? I couldn't imagine sitting on concrete bleachers with 90k others in the rain watching such an arbitrary and fairly common occurrence.

We're pulling our kids out of school to travel a couple hours north to get into the zone of totality. It's potentially something they might see only a couple times in their life. I'm never seen a total eclipse, so I'm looking forward to it as well. The school is already assuming that many kids will be out, and are pretty much planning the whole day around the eclipse.

As for weather, I will start checking on things in a few days, and if the current destination looks iffy, then there are plenty of other places we can go within a couple hours of where we are.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

It's a cool event that may only happen a few times (at most) in our lifetime. Anytime we get to visual something that occurs in the cosmos is pretty awe inspiring. At least to me.

I guess I could keep reading and watching about events in Charlottesville and North Korea instead..... lord help us.

It's a cool event that may only happen a few times (at most) in our lifetime. Anytime we get to visual something that occurs in the cosmos is pretty awe inspiring. At least to me.

I guess I could keep reading and watching about events in Charlottesville and North Korea instead..... lord help us.

images

Lol, jk I neither care nor consider speaking out against Nazis, the KKK and white supremacists as "politics" but apparently some people on here and Facebook are fine with propping them up.

Reactions: GwinnettNole
Where I am we will have about 98% of the sun covered. Schools are delaying dismissal by 1 hour since High School dismissal occurs around the time of the eclipse. In addition the school system has purchased the required eye goggles so all students can have a pair. If parents sign a permission slip the school will be taking the kids outside for the event. Those without the signed permission slip will remain indoors and watch the NASA feed on TV.

As of right now the weather is supposed to cooperate, but we all know how accurate most forecasts are, so we will have to wait & see.

FYI the 2024 eclipse will pass through Texas with the Dallas falling right in the zone of total obstruction....lord help us, those 214 dwellers will probably start sacrificing goats and dancing with snakes to fend off evil spirits :p

Reactions: itsjustme0770
FYI the 2024 eclipse will pass through Texas with the Dallas falling right in the zone of total obstruction....lord help us, those 214 dwellers will probably start sacrificing goats and dancing with snakes to fend off evil spirits :p

Those fools!

Everyone knows you use cats on an eclipse.

So....this isn't a 99 year event like they keep telling us on TV?
Mine bottling.

Look here Bayou Dweller... hahaha

I'll be long gone to FL by 2024, otherwise I'd offer you a place to set up shop if you desired the 4 hour drive.

Why does it really matter when some 19yo that can barely speak English holds on to a ball and runs past eleven 18-22 yos for an arbitrary short distance no more than a mere 100 yards and crosses a finish line? I couldn't imagine sitting on concrete bleachers with 90k others in the rain watching such an arbitrary and fairly common occurrence.

I confess, this was the exact path my brain went down when reading NDRs post.

It is a cosmic event. It is relatively rare in the US. You will be able to see the edge of the sun, and it isn't flat/round. Same for the outline of the moon. We orbit the sun every year and many people throw a party for that.... <shrug>

I think it'd be comical if folks are spending all this money on it and all of a sudden there's a line of thunderstorms that pass thru the direct path, so all they see is rain drops and clouds.

I swear to god if this happens I will hunt you down and slap you silly, don't you put a hex on my trip. We are using the weekend for a camping trip in the path and visit grandparents etc.

To hell with school when I can use this as an opportunity to explain orbits, heavenly bodies, shadows, distance and apparent size, animals dependency on sun for their circadian rhythm, the sun and impact on earth's temperature to my kids. Be it a very fast, basic set of lessons.

I get what you're saying, and I employ the same logic when it comes to spending money on jerseys, getting autographs, etc - they're people, just like me. Just because they can run or throw or catch doesn't mean I'm going to wear their jersey around, or bug them to sign something.

To me, there's still a little different between your example and this. In your example the kid still has to be able to do something - perform some kind of act or demonstrate a skill - in order to do the thing that people would want to watch. In the case of the eclipse, we literally have no role at all, except for inhabiting the planet at a location that allows us to see two other objects lined up in a row, relative to our position in the universe.

I think where I'm located is going to be good for 80% or something - that's good enough for me to step outside and see what it looks like, as long as I'm not in a meeting or anything. I certainly wouldn't travel for it, or pull my kid out of school to see it if they don't let the kids go outside for it.

Now, if the flat earthers were right and the sun just turns itself off for a couple of minutes, THAT I would make an effort to see.

To hell with school when I can use this as an opportunity to explain orbits, heavenly bodies, shadows, distance and apparent size, animals dependency on sun for their circadian rhythm, the sun and impact on earth's temperature to my kids. Be it a very fast, basic set of lessons.
It doesn't seem like you need a big shadow as a reason to do any of that.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I think if you're on the track and it will turn completely dark for a few minutes, that would be pretty cool.
Sure - I agree it'd be worth going outside to see. But to spend money taking a trip to some place else to see it a little better? I know everyone's different. Just my own personal opinion that I can't see spending money to fly somewhere, stay in a hotel, etc, just for that couple of minutes of better eclipsing.

Reactions: peezy28
I confess, this was the exact path my brain went down when reading NDRs post.

It is a cosmic event. It is relatively rare in the US. You will be able to see the edge of the sun, and it isn't flat/round. Same for the outline of the moon. We orbit the sun every year and many people throw a party for that.... <shrug>

Sounds like you'll be picking up @fsu1jreed on the way.

Reactions: billanole
I swear to god if this happens I will hunt you down and slap you silly, don't you put a hex on my trip. We are using the weekend for a camping trip in the path and visit grandparents etc.

Check out the big brain on Brett!

Clearly Russ is an anti-eclipser and is to be shunned.
No way man - you'll see. I'm gonna truther the heck out of this eclipse!

In fact, what if this whole eclipse thing is just a scam from "BIG TRAVEL" to get people to spend money going on pointless trips during a dead time at the end of the summer? They got NASA involved to drum up a bunch of extra attention and webpage clicks, but what if it doesn't even happen?!?! I'm onto something, until it's proven otherwise!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT