ADVERTISEMENT

The solar eclipse

No way man - you'll see. I'm gonna truther the heck out of this eclipse!

In fact, what if this whole eclipse thing is just a scam from "BIG TRAVEL" to get people to spend money going on pointless trips during a dead time at the end of the summer? They got NASA involved to drum up a bunch of extra attention and webpage clicks, but what if it doesn't even happen?!?! I'm onto something, until it's proven otherwise!

hahahahaha.

kZgmqy.gif

Haha...someone just posted on my neighborhood's NextDoor site looking for glasses for the "sonar eclipse."

Should I reply and suggest she look for an earpiece instead?

Reactions: LesClaypool
Haha...someone just posted on my neighborhood's NextDoor site looking for glasses for the "sonar eclipse."

Did you see the snippet about the woman who posted about it being on monday would impact the kids and school, perhaps it should be moved to Sunday. Her kids probably should stay in school.

Be careful, I read somewhere that there are a lot of cheap Chinese knockoff eclipse glass out there with the correct logos on them.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
A buddy I work with lives in Idaho and is supposed to be at Bragg with me. He cant' get a flight because so many people are flying. He said it is crazy. My kids school canceled that day. I guess it is a cool event and all; but can't see changing my day or spending any money on the thing. I will be in meetings and very likely not even know it happens.

Jackson county is closing schools that day. Or so I read on the Faceyspace.

Jackson county is closing schools that day. Or so I read on the Faceyspace.
Leon County is letting its high schools out early so the kids can be gone by the time the eclipse starts. They don't want any liability for knuckleheads that stare at the sun going blind on their time, or so it would seem.

Leon County Elementary and Middle Schools (I believe) are holding their kids late (and keeping them inside, unless the school purchased the special eclipse glasses), until the eclipse is completely over.

Be careful, I read somewhere that there are a lot of cheap Chinese knockoff eclipse glass out there with the correct logos on them.

Good thing we got ours on Amazon so we know it is safe.

These special "sun" glasses... are they any different than the polarized sun-glasses I currently own? Is the sun involved in the eclipse a stronger, newer version of the one that we've been staring at for the past billion years? I feel so unprepared.

These special "sun" glasses... are they any different than the polarized sun-glasses I currently own? Is the sun involved in the eclipse a stronger, newer version of the one that we've been staring at for the past billion years? I feel so unprepared.

You've been staring at the sun....explains a lot. :p

Eclipse glasses are totally black looking through them unless you look at the sun. Daughter got hers from Amazon and they were not approved safe glasses. They need an ISO # 12312-2 or something like that.

Looks like Nashville and north Georgia will get the full effect. Houston is pretty far outside the "full eclipse" realm, so I don't know if it will be worth staying up late to watch it.
Transylvania County in NC has a former NASA facility with a big telescope "thingy" among other stuff near the little burg of Rosman. Too lazy to look up, who owns it now, but it is in the direct path.
They have been selling out of lodging, etc... near Brevard for over a year now. The hype and sales pitch is humongo around us. The Blue Ridge Parkway is gonna be a zoo...prolly near impassable.
We are gonna go to a pre-clipser event at Bearwaters Brewery on Sunday. It is never to early to party like it is 2017 Eclipse O Mania. Russ, I will buy you a ticket if you want proof...

So what's the deal with peeking at the sun for a second or 2 without glasses? I can stare at the normal sun for a bit and still have 20/20. Is the sunlight different since we can see the corona and some kind of Mr. Wizard science that Im unaware of or is it the media running away with scare tactics and/or the glasses companies taking advantage of the situatuon?

The schools here decided to do early release Monday too. Prime time here for the eclipse would be right at time school gets out. I'm sure all the kids would be staring directly at it.

Transylvania County in NC has a former NASA facility with a big telescope "thingy" among other stuff near the little burg of Rosman. Too lazy to look up, who owns it now, but it is in the direct path.
They have been selling out of lodging, etc... near Brevard for over a year now. The hype and sales pitch is humongo around us. The Blue Ridge Parkway is gonna be a zoo...prolly near impassable.
We are gonna go to a pre-clipser event at Bearwaters Brewery on Sunday. It is never to early to party like it is 2017 Eclipse O Mania. Russ, I will buy you a ticket if you want proof...

As you prepare to party, let me remind you of another celestial event and its ramifications:

tumblr_m16q66ncfz1qh1sico1_500.jpg

Thought there would be some way to direct message on this platform, but I don't see it.

There is but I don't think you can set it up on ios which is what I am using 99% of the time I'm on here. Occasionally, I use an actual computer but the majority of the time I'm on here (90-95%) I'm on my iPhone and most of the rest on my iPad Pro.

I live at 98%. I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to drive 50 miles to the totality, fully knowing that it could be a s--t show on the roads. I might take the day off and make it a game time decision. I can get to just inside the totality on fairly small country roads that really don't go much of anywhere. Even though those are small, I think there's a limit to how many people will be coming down. As opposed to the interstate, which will serve pretty large cities full of booked hotels. I'm picturing millions of people all trying to leave at 3pm, and the roads and towns resembling the Katrina Superdome for a couple days.

I'm thinking if I get just inside the totality, with like 30 seconds of eclipse, and just hop in my car at the end and start out, I can beat the rush. Like leaving with 5 minutes left in the game.

The problem will be if too many people head up that they're still on the road as the eclipse approaches, and they're all turning around to head back, or stop and watch the partial eclipse, they could still jam up my way home.

Sweet - now there's Facebook fear-mongering.

"As an Optometrist , I want to express concern that I have about the solar eclipse on Monday, Aug 21. There are serious risks associated with viewing a solar eclipse directly, even when using solar filter glasses. Everyone should keep in mind if they or their children are considering this.

We have to keep in mind that some people will encounter the inability to control every aspect of this exercise. For instance, many solar eclipse glasses are made for adults, do not fit children well and should not be used without direct parental supervision. If the solar glasses do not filter out 100% of the harmful UV rays, if they are not used absolutely perfectly, or should there be a manufacturing defect in any of them, this will result in permanent and irreversible vision loss for any eye exposed. Just like sunburn to the skin, the effects are not felt or noticed immediately. I have a great fear that I will have patients in my office on Tuesday, Aug 22 who woke up with hazy, blurry vision that I cannot fix.

The biggest danger with children is ensuring proper use without direct parental supervision. As the eclipse passes over many places, including Columbus, the moon will not block 100% of the sun. Because so much of its light is blocked by the moon, if one looks at it without full protection, it does not cause pain as looking at the sun does on a regular day. Normally if you try to look at the sun, it physically hurts and you can't see anything. During an eclipse, however, it is easier to stare for a bit....and even less than 30 seconds of exposure to a partially eclipsed sun, you can burn a blind spot right to your most precious central vision. With solar glasses you can't see ANYTHING except the crescent of light of the sun. Kids could have a tendency to want to peak around the filter to see what is actually going on up there. One failure, just one, where education and supervision fail, will have such a devastating consequence.

Please, please be safe, or watch it on television if you do not have proper protection.

PS Feel free to share this post."

The nutjob alarmists are full of it. I doubt the sun has ever made anyone go permanently blind. Stare away, I say.

Sweet - now there's Facebook fear-mongering.

"As an Optometrist , I want to express concern that I have about the solar eclipse on Monday, Aug 21. There are serious risks associated with viewing a solar eclipse directly, even when using solar filter glasses. Everyone should keep in mind if they or their children are considering this.

We have to keep in mind that some people will encounter the inability to control every aspect of this exercise. For instance, many solar eclipse glasses are made for adults, do not fit children well and should not be used without direct parental supervision. If the solar glasses do not filter out 100% of the harmful UV rays, if they are not used absolutely perfectly, or should there be a manufacturing defect in any of them, this will result in permanent and irreversible vision loss for any eye exposed. Just like sunburn to the skin, the effects are not felt or noticed immediately. I have a great fear that I will have patients in my office on Tuesday, Aug 22 who woke up with hazy, blurry vision that I cannot fix.

The biggest danger with children is ensuring proper use without direct parental supervision. As the eclipse passes over many places, including Columbus, the moon will not block 100% of the sun. Because so much of its light is blocked by the moon, if one looks at it without full protection, it does not cause pain as looking at the sun does on a regular day. Normally if you try to look at the sun, it physically hurts and you can't see anything. During an eclipse, however, it is easier to stare for a bit....and even less than 30 seconds of exposure to a partially eclipsed sun, you can burn a blind spot right to your most precious central vision. With solar glasses you can't see ANYTHING except the crescent of light of the sun. Kids could have a tendency to want to peak around the filter to see what is actually going on up there. One failure, just one, where education and supervision fail, will have such a devastating consequence.

Please, please be safe, or watch it on television if you do not have proper protection.

PS Feel free to share this post."

The nutjob alarmists are full of it. I doubt the sun has ever made anyone go permanently blind. Stare away, I say.

How could a tiny ball going around our flat earth and then turning off cause problems?

;)

Actually I'm going to assume there's going to be a lot of blinder than usual Gators on Tuesday.

I live in the point that has the greatest length of total blackout. NASA is setting up on the SIU football field. Scientists from all over the place, and the City of Carbondale, IL, is expecting 50,000 visitors.

It is a HUGE deal for a ton of people....

Funny thing is, the one coming in 2024, has the exact same point of longest totality.

For me it sounds like Y2K; maybe I just am not into the whole thing. I am sure that a lot of people think I am crazy for arranging my schedule to insure I can be in front of a TV on 2 Sept. and most Saturday through the fall.

ADVERTISEMENT