ADVERTISEMENT

The solar eclipse

Oh wow - that article is crazy. It's way too similar to all the anti-eclipse stuff I wrote above.

Pretty sure this means I'm on the forefront of the anti-eclipse movement!

20d3802dc9eacc277ba406758b4e004e.jpg

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I estimated by using the number of inches the sun appeared to be above the horizon (or, the edge of the Earth, if you will) and multiplied it by the length of my shadow. It's got to be pretty close.
You remind me of my nephew who is headed to college as a math major. He is always talking about "summation of integers" or some other worldly stuff.

Geez. We have highway signs warning people to make sure they have plenty of gas and to expect major delays. My ride to the house this evening has major bummer potential.
Meanwhile, people are renting out tent sites in fields for a hundo a pop. Come on down Russ. If you byob, you can camp gratis. May need a little help with book learning from you, seeing as how you have advanced through several grades.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I'm going to go to Iola Kansas...

I'm taking my tow bar for my toad/tow'd up there so they can refurbish it. May as well drive an hour north while they are working on it and experience darkness o_O.

Can't wait to check out the Sunday night nightlife in Iola. :cool:

Geez. We have highway signs warning people to make sure they have plenty of gas and to expect major delays. My ride to the house this evening has major bummer potential.
Meanwhile, people are renting out tent sites in fields for a hundo a pop. Come on down Russ. If you byob, you can camp gratis. May need a little help with book learning from you, seeing as how you have advanced through several grades.
Man, I can't imagine the cluster that is going to be! I appreciate the offer, but I think I want to stay pretty far away from that. As for the book learning - the key is to start at the back of the book and work your way towards the front: that way the questions get easier as you progress, rather than harder. Plus, sometimes you know the answers to the problem, before the book even asks the questions. Win/win.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother lives in Casper, Wyoming. He said some people are renting their house for $2000/day. Step-daughter, her husband and kids are on their way from Tally to our house in Ellijay. We will be 99% dark and told them to stay with us. They want to go to Murphy NC, 100% dark. They are renting a spot in a parking lot and camping out. Really!?!?! A fool and their money is soon parted. We are shaking our heads. Kids will do real good in the heat, porta-potties, and bored to tears waiting for the eclipse. They are young and we wonder if they fully understand what is happening or even if they will remember.

They're not so rare

Down here on any sunny day you can lay on the beach next to anglins pier and it will be sunny and bright

And

Bam!
Out go the lights

So you look up to see what's blocking the sun and immediately wish you hadn't

Standing there will be some 300 lb tourist babe pulling her bathing suit out of the crack of her caboose while slurping on a dbl dip dripping ice cream cone

It takes about 3 mins for that eclipse to be gone

What you just saw, will never be gone
It's stuck between the pages of your mind

Disclaimer: if any of you ladies are 300 lbs, lily white and have trouble keeping your bathing suit out of the Grand Canyon

Please do not be offended

I swear to god if this happens I will hunt you down and slap you silly, don't you put a hex on my trip. We are using the weekend for a camping trip in the path and visit grandparents etc.

To hell with school when I can use this as an opportunity to explain orbits, heavenly bodies, shadows, distance and apparent size, animals dependency on sun for their circadian rhythm, the sun and impact on earth's temperature to my kids. Be it a very fast, basic set of lessons.

Will it affect the aging of Gentleman Jack Daniels?

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
FYI the 2024 eclipse will pass through Texas with the Dallas falling right in the zone of total obstruction....lord help us, those 214 dwellers will probably start sacrificing goats and dancing with snakes to fend off evil spirits :p

Yep. This is why I don't care about this one. Already sharpening my goat stakes.

Amazon = Skynet

Computer in every house

Internet

Free Shipping

Cheap retina cooking fake eclipse glasses

August 29 skynet becomes self-aware

August 21 date of elclipse

Run

Traffic was great this morning here in Atlanta...thank you eclipse, already coming through for me :)

Not at 6 AM. It was packed with those of us fleeing Atlanta to head up to the mountains or (like me) over to South Carolina. There was a line of 80 cars waiting to get into the park I'm at around 7:30 AM.

I was too slow to get eclipse glasses, so I've just got it on my tv (Casper WY at the moment) with a couple versions of "Dark Star" setting a mood.

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the Sun, but Mama that's where the fun is...

I'd forgotten how annoying literally everyone who works for the Weather Channel is.

The lady on there now w/Jim Cantore, is one of the most annoying people I've ever seen/heard in my life.

Reactions: runkpanole
Last big time eclipse in '70 I was at FSU - we just went and stood in the back yard at the DG house and watched as street lights came on. Not at all the big hoopla that's going on right now.

Just passed by here. I went outside. It was meh.

My wife has the local news on. I can't imagine trying to come up with hours of content and talking points based on two minutes of darkness. Totally cringeworthy.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Just saw Clemson coverage, and the people did the "Clemson" chant.

Wow, you guys must be a blast at parties!

We were at 92% coverage and it got pretty dim, kind of dusk-like. I now wish I'd driven a few hours up into totality- looked pretty cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT