ADVERTISEMENT

The solar eclipse

I'll post some pics after I get a hosting site lines up... We literally live in THE PLACE of longest totality.

The children here will also like it because it literally looks like a cosmic booby!

poMGc42wj

Man my cheapo glasses kept popping off... I've got a headache from brief moments of staring at the sun and can't get the pics yet...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
So cloudy here it was pretty much a nothing burger.

It was cloudy where I went (Anderson GA) so you couldn't really see it with the naked eye during totality but thanks to some decent lenses I picked up the camera caught most of it.

Reactions: booker20
It appears that the difference between being inside and out of the area of totality is night and day, literally.
On the above map, I live on the pink line where it crosses through Southern Illinois.

Even though the point of longest totality was about 15 minutes by car from my house, it was 2.5 minutes of awesome.

To many, it didn't matter... But an eclipse that spans the entire length of the US had not happened in 99 years.

Because it lasts such a short time, it's, to me, more the experience of a historic event than the couple minutes of darkness.

Our daughter and her family came up for the eclipse. Stayed with us in Ellijay GA, then drove to Andrews NC. We were 99% and Andrews was 100%. We sat in our driveway. Spent money for glasses and a filter sheet for the camera. Total $30. They spent hundreds for the total eclipse. Now they are stuck on I-575 south going 25 MPH at most heading back to Tally. They will be lucky to be home by midnight. 3 young kids and have to work tomorrow. Sounds REAL fun to us. Was the extra 1% really worth it. We shake our heads. But I am sure my parents shook their heads at dumb chit I did.

Our daughter and her family came up for the eclipse. Stayed with us in Ellijay GA, then drove to Andrews NC. We were 99% and Andrews was 100%. We sat in our driveway. Spent money for glasses and a filter sheet for the camera. Total $30. They spent hundreds for the total eclipse. Now they are stuck on I-575 south going 25 MPH at most heading back to Tally. They will be lucky to be home by midnight. 3 young kids and have to work tomorrow. Sounds REAL fun to us. Was the extra 1% really worth it. We shake our heads. But I am sure my parents shook their heads at dumb chit I did.
Exactly... Only person that can honestly answer the question is your daughter.

We had 98%; it looked good, but still a big difference not having the extra 2% covered. I'm kind of regretting not making the drive, we were so close to experiencing the real deal, but elected not too.

Were you able to look directly at it when it was 99%? We could not, the 2% would blind you pretty good.

We drove up to Dillard, GA this morning. It was a madhouse. About 25 minutes before totality, a bank of clouds rolled in. I was taking no chances so we hoped in the car and headed down some back mountain road until we found a break in the clouds.

It was well worth the drive. An amazing sight. That moment when the sun goes to totality is just eerie. Seemed like everything went quiet. Weird shadows on the ground and the light was weird as well.

Now the return home was a different story. A 90 minute drive took us almost 5 hours, and we live in Cumming. That was a mess, but we made it with lots of good memories from a potential once in a lifetime experience.

We had a great time. Drove from Tally to Charleston Saturday. Enjoyed a nice long weekend with great food, great weather, lots of side trips, and yes, a total eclipse. We spent some cash, had a fabulous time, and don't regret it for a second.

Drove up to Iola, KS. Figured I'd get my tow bar overhauled during this. Iola was supposed to get 96% according to that website. Well I call BS as it seemed more like 80%. Should have driven an hour north. More like being in an atrium with tinted windows.

I did notice that in a tree shadow, all of the speckles of light on the ground were crescents.
That was kinda cool. I have a pic somewhere.

Reactions: DanC78 and booker20
Drove up to Iola, KS. Figured I'd get my tow bar overhauled during this. Iola was supposed to get 96% according to that website. Well I call BS as it seemed more like 80%. Should have driven an hour north. More like being in an atrium with tinted windows.

I did notice that in a tree shadow, all of the speckles of light on the ground were crescents.
That was kinda cool. I have a pic somewhere.

That was coolest thing for me, all the shadows were very crisp and detaled. Not sure why that was, but it was pretty neat!

So I guess there was an eclipse after all.

I was in a commission meeting during the eclipse. About 10 minutes till, we started losing people. Finally one of the commission members requested a recess. So we all went outside to see it. A few people had the glasses, so they passed them around so everyone could see. We were in Norfolk, VA, I figure it was 85-90% covered, which was good enough for me.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
We ended up being at 99.%, which meant 2+ minutes of totality. It was very cool and the skies were perfect. Got some cool pictures but haven't processed them yet.

ADVERTISEMENT