Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Option 3

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

BucaNole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2007
A buddy of mine... let's call him "Fred," has a job called "A." Fred is also in a lucrative position of being a board member, that pays more than A. Job A does not know about the position Fred has on the board, as it's not job A's business to know and Fred can do the job effectively regardless.

A has a special meeting come Friday. There is also an extremely important board meeting this Friday that Fred can't miss and will not miss.

Fred sees three options: 1) Call in sick, piss folks off for missing an important meeting at job A, and hope for the best. 2) Reveal the board position, but possibly deal with questions over dual employment/ conflict of interest (there are none) and/or sabotage future career in the field. 3) Kill myself

Side note: Job A's leadership is a bit controlling...

Reactions: bigmamanole
Option 2. Puts everything on the table and in the event of a change in treatment at A Job and, depending on local labor laws, sets up for a possible wrongful termination case.

Although, unless the current employer requires proof of doctor's visitation for a sick day... Option 1 could do the trick just fine.

Reactions: NebNoles
obviously Fred is you, since option 3 is to "kill myself".....LOL......Option 1 man, option 1

Reactions: BucaNole
A buddy of mine... let's call him "Fred," has a job called "A." Fred is also in a lucrative position of being a board member, that pays more than A. Job A does not know about the position Fred has on the board, as it's not job A's business to know and Fred can do the job effectively regardless.

A has a special meeting come Friday. There is also an extremely important board meeting this Friday that Fred can't miss and will not miss.

Fred sees three options: 1) Call in sick, piss folks off for missing an important meeting at job A, and hope for the best. 2) Reveal the board position, but possibly deal with questions over dual employment/ conflict of interest (there are none) and/or sabotage future career in the field. 3) Kill myself

Side note: Job A's leadership is a bit controlling...

SICK!

Reactions: BucaNole
If job A is Gov't then there is mandatory paperwork to fill out... assuming FL... so option 1. Option 2 leads to a firing.

...and Fred can do the job effectively regardless.
Apparently not, if he's in danger of missing an important meeting.

Gotta disclose the other gig to A and work through the conflict, otherwise it's being dishonest and things will be worse later on. Besides would the second company want someone on their board that acts unethically?

Hey man I don't know you or what you do; but reading this you sound dirty. Hiding behind rules and technicalities never works out well. Good luck but it sounds to me like we are not getting the whole truth, your hiding something, your milking the government for a safe job while you play board member and rake in some extra cash. The only question I have is how meaningless and unimportant is your government job if a board member job pays more.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Hey man I don't know you or what you do; but reading this you sound dirty. Hiding behind rules and technicalities never works out well. Good luck but it sounds to me like we are not getting the whole truth, your hiding something, your milking the government for a safe job while you play board member and rake in some extra cash. The only question I have is how meaningless and unimportant is your government job if a board member job pays more.
The thing I don't get is that a lot of organizations encourage their employees to serve on the boards of other organizations. I don't know why his company would have a problem with it, unless the reality is that there's a conflict of interest. If there's no conflict, and it truly doesn't impede your ability to do your job, then your employer should be thrilled that you're seen as having the experience enough to serve on a board and guide other organizations. It makes them look better for employing such industry leaders. If they'd have a problem with the board position - or if the second organization would have a problem with your primary job - then you're probably doing something wrong, and you likely already know it.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
The thing I don't get is that a lot of organizations encourage their employees to serve on the boards of other organizations. I don't know why his company would have a problem with it, unless the reality is that there's a conflict of interest. If there's no conflict, and it truly doesn't impede your ability to do your job, then your employer should be thrilled that you're seen as having the experience enough to serve on a board and guide other organizations. It makes them look better for employing such industry leaders. If they'd have a problem with the board position - or if the second organization would have a problem with your primary job - then you're probably doing something wrong, and you likely already know it.

I’ve served on a few boards - but I’ve never been paid. Is it common to be on a board and be paid?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I’ve served on a few boards - but I’ve never been paid. Is it common to be on a board and be paid?
I've only served on a board for a local field hockey league. In our case, there was certainly no pay. Not sure for larger non-profits, for-profit boards, etc. OP says he's making more from being on a board than from his regular job, so maybe his kid's field hockey league is just doing a lot better than mine?

Depends on the size and scope. This is larger company that Fred has invested in directly and through a DRIP program over many years, that's bought a seat at the table and with that comes "fees" and a nice hotel room at the annual Xmas party. It's basically being a glorified large shareholder hence why it's not a salaried/ employed position.

I was thinking Fred might be big time until you said he could “call in sick”

Mr. Mnuchin, you do realize that you publicly stated that you left the board when you accepted your government position, right?

Presiding over a meeting of the Financial Stability Oversight Council (Council) at the Treasury Department is not something where you call in sick to go to a boondoggle board meeting in Bermuda.

I'm going to go with amended Option 3: Have RangerNole kill you.

Option 1 - it has been done to all of us at sometime in the past, we just didn't realize it at the time.

I think you mean Fred.

Joking aside, you're in a gov't job working on the side. I can't see this ending well. If your board seat is on a company that has any connection whatsoever to your agency I'd guess you might actually get fired when you disclose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT