ADVERTISEMENT

Timpson scores 19 as FSU women's hoops defeats Miami in ACC opener

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Via FSU sports information:

A dominant second half by sophomore forward Makayla Timpson powered Florida State Women’s Basketball to an ACC-opening 92-85 win over rival Miami on Wednesday afternoon in front of an enthusiastic crowd at the Tucker Center.

The Seminoles’ (12-2, 1-0) 54-point outburst in the second half was aided by Timpson’s 19 points, five rebounds and four blocked shots in the game’s final 20 minutes. The Edison, Ga., native finished the game with a career-high 25 points, nine rebounds, four blocks while going 10-of-13 from the floor.

Timpson was unguardable all afternoon, using an array of post moves and showing off her finishing from 15 feet in. She scored in a variety of ways and continues to ascend as one of the ACC’s best post players.

“Just being able to box out and be physical with my player…I have to in order to save the team and not let them get second-chance shots,” Timpson said of her style of play. “We’ve been doing a good job of enforcing that in practice.”

She fell just shy of her sixth double-double of the season. Her play was much needed against a physical Miami team that out-rebounded FSU 40-31 and was relentless until the very end, shooting 50 percent (10-of-20) in the fourth quarter when FSU was trying to put the game away.

Freshman guard Ta’Niya Latson scored 15 of her 21 points in the second half, plagued by early foul trouble that prevented her from setting foot on the court in the second quarter. Latson went 10-of-10 from the free throw line, becoming the ninth Seminole ever to make all of her free throws on a minimum of 10 attempts.

Senior guard Sara Bejedi gave the Seminoles the physicality and scoring they needed, scoring 15 points, going 6-of-6 from the free throw line, drawing six fouls, dishing five assists and defending at a very high level.

FSU finished the game 23-of-25 from the free throw line, an area where they’ve thrived all year.

“I’m very proud of that number,” Wyckoff said of going 23-of-25 from the line. “The focus, especially KK, she’s come so far and I’m so proud of her being able to shoot so well and with confidence. Sara going 6-for-6, Ta’Niya 10-for-10, Taylor 2-for-2, it’s just really big time. I’m proud of them.”

Florida State shot 51.7 percent from the floor while Miami went 42.5 percent for the game. Miami’s Destiny Harden (20 points) and Lashae Dwyer (23 points) gave the Hurricanes strong scoring production.

A key point in the game came following Harden’s 3-pointer that cut FSU’s lead to 68-62 with 7:31 left in the game. The Seminoles used a 10-0 run to take their largest lead of the game at 78-62 with 4:43 left, capped by a layup from Valencia Myers. Bejedi sparked the run with four points. In that span, Miami committed two turnovers and missed five straight from the floor, enough for FSU to capitalize and turn into a double-digit lead.

Florida State will enjoy some time away for the Holiday Break before heading to sixth-ranked North Carolina for a key matchup on Thursday, Dec. 29, at 8 p.m. The game will air on the ACC’s regional sports networks, including Bally Sports Florida in North and Central Florida and Bally Sports Sun in South Florida.

Nice win for the ladies. We got to see O’Brien make her way back, definitely need her to help make a run during conference play.

Valenzuela’s shot may be nicer than Puisis. I just wish she shot more lol

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT