ADVERTISEMENT

UNC - NCAA Delivers Sanctions

I really think Syracuse and Louisville are having buyers' remorse about joining the ACC, since they realize there is a blatant double standard with UNC that has hit their beloved basketball programs especially hard....Boeheim at Syracuse is especially PO'ed about how they were treated over the Fab Melo situation, which pales in comparison to what went on in Chapel Hill. Since the Big Ten is a good fit geographically and has deep pockets, I would expect both schools to at least look into the possibility of jumping there if the numbers justify such a move.

FSU leaving for the SEC is more of a pipe dream (plus, the almighty Gators would likely veto it), but NC State is a different situation, since the SEC would like to expand its conference footprint, and they've already taken in another "kid brother" who was abused by an 800-pound gorilla within the same state (see Texas A&M)...

I have no doubt many are not impressed with how the ACC is run and while I am not going to blame losses on bad officiating. I will say that they need to vastly improve the quality of the people they hire for officiating any type of sporting events.

Like I tried to explain earlier, the FSU case was not about offering easy classes. The UNC case was.

That's how you would characterize it to arrive at the desired result. The NCAA did the same thing. That's my point.

You UF'ers always like to make the FSU tutor mess out to something it was not by exaggerating the scope. 99% of the FSU issue was the tutor and the online music class. The remaining 1% was the tutor typing papers (not writing) for three athletes and giving one athlete getting help with answers to a single psychology quiz.

If you read the FSU report and the conclusion made therein, then you can see the NCAA stretching to penalize FSU in an area that the NCAA has since conceded it has no jurisdiction. The NCAA stretched to avoid penalizing UNC.

From the FSU report:

As stated in the introduction of this report, academic fraud is among the most egregious of NCAA violations. The committee was concerned with the large number of student athletes involved in the fraud and especially by the fact that individuals within the institution's AASS unit were involved. The committee was further troubled by the fact that there were warning signs indicating that academic improprieties were taking place, but these warning signs were, for the most part, ignored.

Thus, the NCAA ignored the most egregious of NCAA violations committed by UNC. Further, the NCAA was neither "concerned" over 20x the number of student athletes or vast number of UNC employees involved in the UNC fraud, nor was it "troubled" by the warning signs that academic improprieties were taking place at UNC or that those warning signs were ignored.

UNC had exponentially worse facts. Zero justice.

Last edited:
UNC fought that the NCAA had no jurisdiction on how easy or not their classes were. That was a major part in UNC winning this sham.

I wonder how much sneaker money was funneled to the NCAA .

Also, it was determined that those classes weren't "fake", they were real classes, contrary to media reports. Attendance was not required and a paper was due at the end of the semester.

So, it was a real class, and the NCAA has no jurisdiction on how easy UNC sets their courses. Case dismissed.

I understand the technicalities on which the NCAA crafted a way to let UNC skate.

The NCAA could have just as easily characterized what you are calling real classes as fake classes or used a dozen other lines of reasoning to pound UNC into the ground. It didn't. UNC's money and influence won over the day. That's fine and dandy, but the NCAA should now be required to "vacate" its prior holdings against FSU and other based on the new line of poor policy and reasoning that it used to let UNC off.

That's the only way that justice is served.

ADVERTISEMENT