ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer Alum Suspended for Violence Against Girlfriend

JohnnieHolmesNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
NFL takes action against Ezekiel Elliott, suspending him for 6 games for alleged violence against his girlfriend. Urban Meyer's guys are no strangers to trouble. NFL seems serious about addressing its thug image.

Reactions: MdNole1982
I can't wait to see the ESPN expose on the Columbus police and DAs preferential treatment of a star player at OSU.

The incident did take place in Columbus, interestingly enough. The NFL found the evidence "overwhelming," yet he was never arrested or charged in Columbus.

Reactions: nolaholic
The incident did take place in Columbus, interestingly enough. The NFL found the evidence "overwhelming," yet he was never arrested or charged in Columbus.

What overwhelming evidence did they find that the authorities did not? The fact that he was not charged is the problem I have with the suspension. I suspect the NFL did this overcompensating for their past mistakes i.e. Ray Rice.

Reactions: jrnix11
What overwhelming evidence did they find that the authorities did not? The fact that he was not charged is the problem I have with the suspension. I suspect the NFL did this overcompensating for their past mistakes i.e. Ray Rice.

You definitely have a point there, and I have no personal knowledge of the investigation. I was merely quoting from a letter the NFL sent to Elliott explaining the suspension. Presumably the NFL has no "motivation" to gratuitously hammer one of its bright young stars. The implication is that the "home town folks" in Columbus looked the other way (i.e., the same charges made about FSU-Tallahassee). Elliott has some other incidents of buffoonery in his past.

At a minimum, I hope ESPN and all of the others make the same "favorable treatment" allegations about OSU/Columbus that they made about FSU/Tallahassee.

You definitely have a point there, and I have no personal knowledge of the investigation. I was merely quoting from a letter the NFL sent to Elliott explaining the suspension. Presumably the NFL has no "motivation" to gratuitously hammer one of its bright young stars. The implication is that the "home town folks" in Columbus looked the other way (i.e., the same charges made about FSU-Tallahassee). Elliott has some other incidents of buffoonery in his past.

At a minimum, I hope ESPN and all of the others make the same "favorable treatment" allegations about OSU/Columbus that they made about FSU/Tallahassee.

They won't though. We are just too easy to pick on for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill From Tampa

He is no saint that is for sure. He may very well deserve the suspension. I just have an issue with the handing out of punitive discipline when there is no adjudication or admission of guilt.

I am going to guess he will not win his appeal.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I know they interviewed the girlfriend who told them that there were multiple instances of domestic issues not just the one that was in the news. When you combine those with the the other foul ups, the NFL believed he violated their personal conduct policy to the point where a suspension was warranted. Remember, they don't need the same burden of proof that is required for a criminal prosecution. The kid has been a screw up since his days at tOSU. This should be a wake up call for him as well as for the Cowboy franchise which seems to protect and enable players in trouble.

I know they interviewed the girlfriend who told them that there were multiple instances of domestic issues not just the one that was in the news. When you combine those with the the other foul ups, the NFL believed he violated their personal conduct policy to the point where a suspension was warranted. Remember, they don't need the same burden of proof that is required for a criminal prosecution. The kid has been a screw up since his days at tOSU. This should be a wake up call for him as well as for the Cowboy franchise which seems to protect and enable players in trouble.

I am aware of what the league is saying. And then the DA is saying something very different such inaccuracies and inconsistencies.Do we have an Alachua DA kind of thing going on or someone meting out punishment making up for things they should have dealt with before? Neither would be right IMO.

The NFL took a lot of heat for things like the Rice incident and I think it is a possibility they are determined to not look like they are soft on assault incidents. So while their burden of proof standards may be lower they may just be overcompensating. Elliott claims they cherry picked facts (and I would expect some sort of defense like that from him).

What makes this story a gray one for me is I cannot help think of the Duke LAX incident. While not exactly the same, those guys were reportedly not saints either but they and the program were excoriated before the whole thing came out about Nifong. That story influences my opinion of this one.

the NFL needs a committee for these type situations. it is not right Goodell is the judge jury and executioner. just stupid he is the one that hears the appeal. what is going to do overturn his own decision

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jrnix11
the NFL needs a committee for these type situations. it is not right Goodell is the judge jury and executioner. just stupid he is the one that hears the appeal. what is going to do overturn his own decision
That is the process that was collectively bargained. If the players want a better system, they need to get better at the negotiation table.

What a bum...HA HA America's Team.

sorry bro ;)

Guy has no respect for making millions and deserves it.

Last edited:
What a bum...HA HA America's Team.

sorry bro ;)

Zeke lol

Guy has no respect for making millions and deserves it.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Noledan7
Believe it or not I think there are some cowboy fans pretty upset....They are due to regress anyways and miss the playoffs.

My problem with this is that it happened before he was in teh NFL... at least that is the way I understand it...

What is next? You hit that kid on teh bus in third grade so....4 game suspension.....

what do you think would of happened if winston's situation was while he was in the NFL? he wold have got suspended with him not being arrested and charged

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT