ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
hey, there are the gringos that I know. No energy, no skill, no defense. I'm thinking this WC tease needs to end.

Reactions: fsUTampa
2 - 0. Incredible second shot. Still horrible mid-field defense. Typical.

Unless Costa Rica & Mexico (who are both tied) can pull off road results despite nothing to play for, looks like you'll get your out of our misery wish.

UPDATE: Both CR and Mexico just took the lead in their respective matches!

Looks like defense and chubby Tim Howard went partying on the island. It's so bad.

Time to fire the entire damned organization. Absolutely furious at the way they came out to play that first half, no fire, no hurries. They simply assumed showing up was enough. I still can't believe there will be no US in the world cup this cycle. I'm so absolutely angry.

Aside from Pulisic there's not a single person on that team who excited me. So Devastating.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Do you guys have other teams you root for?

To be honest this is probably the best thing to happen to US Soccer..flush the toilet..Gulati is the first person who needs to go...half-assing it as federation president for one of the largest countries in the world while also teaching at Columbia is an utter joke and the bigger joke is him getting voted in for 2 terms...time for alot of the old faces on the field to go away forever as well..time to play the young folks until qualifying starts back up.

Reactions: HulaNole
To be honest this is probably the best thing to happen to US Soccer..flush the toilet..Gulati is the first person who needs to go...half-assing it as federation president for one of the largest countries in the world while also teaching at Columbia is an utter joke and the bigger joke is him getting voted in for 2 terms...time for alot of the old faces on the field to go away forever as well..time to play the young folks until qualifying starts back up.

Fundamentally-the problem is that we have Americanized soccer. Club teams, travel teams, the kids start on full length fields without pick up pachenga-type street games where players developed their first touch and vision. FYI, there is not a lot in the pipeline

I've come to believe we will never seriously compete for a WC (at least in my lifetime), but it's really shocking not to even qualify.

IMO all the negative changes at the youth level AND missing the WC will take a lot of the momentum out of the growing popularity soccer in the US.

Fundamentally-the problem is that we have Americanized soccer. Club teams, travel teams, the kids start on full length fields without pick up pachenga-type street games where players developed their first touch and vision. FYI, there is not a lot in the pipeline

Don't forget pay to play. Its another reason US Soccer cannot compete on the big stage....Americanized for sure.

What are the negative youth changes.

I definitely agree that missing the world cup is going to kill the great momentum soccer had in the US.

Changing demographics will stem whatever momentum is lost by not qualifying, IMO.

I've always rooted Germany, my mom is off the boat. I actually couldn't care less about the sport until watching it with my family while visiting as a kid.

Yes. They are trying to make changes. Some are good, like smaller fields and small-sided games until U13 and 14, but the birth year change was f'd.

The biggest problem is what you point out - everything is done in the context of club and development academy soccer, which means $6-7k a year, which means only reasonably well to do kids can participate. And the clubs preach player development but nearly always go for the bigger stronger players.

What are the negative youth changes.

I definitely agree that missing the world cup is going to kill the great momentum soccer had in the US.
The change from school year to calendar year was the worst, IMO.
It broke up a lot of teams and more than a few kids quit. Kids with fall birthdays don't have a place to play in fall 8th grade (right at 13 or 14 when many quit anyway) and again in 12th grade when half their team has graduated and are off to college.

Do you guys have other teams you root for?

My #1 team on the National stage is and always will be Italy. If it weren't for following them the past 20 years I wouldn't even follow soccer at all. Growing up I hated the sport but it grew on me and when Italy won the World Cup in 2006 I officially became a fan of the sport.

As for the USMNT, they need to clean house all the way to the top. They also need to review how players are developed starting at the age of about 4. Pay for Play is stupid and is keeping a lot of people out of the sport. They also need to realize that the US will never truly compete on the world stage relying on MLS as it stands today. It is probably somewhere around the #7 or 8 league in the world, maybe even worse than that, and that is where almost all the MNT players play.

My #1 team on the National stage is and always will be Italy. If it weren't for following them the past 20 years I wouldn't even follow soccer at all. Growing up I hated the sport but it grew on me and when Italy won the World Cup in 2006 I officially became a fan of the sport.

As for the USMNT, they need to clean house all the way to the top. They also need to review how players are developed starting at the age of about 4. Pay for Play is stupid and is keeping a lot of people out of the sport. They also need to realize that the US will never truly compete on the world stage relying on MLS as it stands today. It is probably somewhere around the #7 or 8 league in the world, maybe even worse than that, and that is where almost all the MNT players play.

I think a lot of CONCACAF players play MLS. But to be honest, getting rid of everyone is not easy. The US does not have a lots of youth talent.

If you had options other than MLS why would you play there? Other than the aging Euros who come to play a few more years or the US "stars" the salaries are pathetic. Playing in MLS should almost be considered a disqualifier for consideration for the US National Team.

FYI, there is not a lot in the pipeline

Disagree. The U-20s made some deep runs internationally recently. The U-17s are at the top of their group in the current WC for that age.

Honestly, every player (and every other person involved in US Soccer...Gulati, Arena, etc) minus Pulisic should resign from the USMNT tonight, and let the U-17s and U-20s be "the men" going forward and gear towards 2022.

Holy hell that hurts to put that in there on October 10th, 2017...

If you had options other than MLS why would you play there? Other than the aging Euros who come to play a few more years or the US "stars" the salaries are pathetic. Playing in MLS should almost be considered a disqualifier for consideration for the US National Team.
I don't think there are enough players in Europe to go with that model

Unfortunately players in MLS aren't technically under contract with the teams they play for, they are under contract with the league (from the way I understand it). So, if MLS doesn't want to sell them abroad the player doesn't have an option. Honestly, younger US players would be better off playing in second tier leagues in England, Germany, Spain, France or Italy, instead of playing in MLS. The coaching abroad is better, and the overall environment is better.

Hey, the best player on the USMNT doesn't play in this country. I don't think that is just a coincidence.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I've come to believe we will never seriously compete for a WC (at least in my lifetime), but it's really shocking not to even qualify.

IMO all the negative changes at the youth level AND missing the WC will take a lot of the momentum out of the growing popularity soccer in the US.

I'd agree this could be a big loss for US soccer in general-- not making the world cup could potentially damage the growing popularity in the states. We've all seen the videos that have brought fans together watching the WC and cheering on the USMNT. Next time that could happen (2022) I will be 48 years old...cripes.

This. Grandparents were English, dad born there. So yeah, pretty much screwed on the international stage.

Germany is fun as hell to watch though.

I've watched Germany as my team for as long as I can remember and have never thought of them as a "fun" team to watch lol Technical, efficient, organized, but never fun.

Just like that we are out...so much for the 93% chance of qualifying crap I read all week.

Wow.

Sports is not liking me this year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT