ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT

There are a few teams doing things like that although I don't know how much money they're putting into it. I know Tottenham has created club teams in Tallahassee youth soccer. I don't know if its just a test for them and how connected it truly is, but it seems it could be starting a bit.

There are a ton of clubs starting up academies in the US, and many already here: Chelsea is huge in metro Atlanta and all over from what I understand; Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool, Roma, and several more have US academies. It has been really booming the last 5 or so years.

As to Lou's point about creativity, it's something I've bemoaned for years. How many US players have ever been able to take a midfielder or defender 1 v 1... ever? Due to the lack of creativity in our ranks, we've tried to rely on out-athleting teams - stamina, counter attacks, crosses with 0% chance of actual shots with pace, etc. Which then leads to... our outside defenders having to push the ball in the attack, so fast guys with no actual standup and defend ability (how ya doin Demarcus Beasley?)

We'll take out of account for now, the lack of a MF that can actual hold the ball, dribble out of danger and create an attack.

It's systemic. Regardless of HC of USMNT, if we don't have 3-4 kids out of 30m that can make defenders lose a shoe trying to defend them, we'll be stuck in the same rut as always. Let kids play, quit forcing parents to pay $8k/year to be "developed" and get going.

I have no doubt that we are lacking creativity in midfield, but that was not the issue with qualifying. This team could not defend. It let every semi-speedy forward beat it on the counter attack. It would also be helpful to have at least one elite striker. This is the formula that Uruguay ( a country with only 4 million people) followed to finish second in Conmebol qualifying. They do not have any creativity in the midfield, but they defend for their life and skip the midfield to get the ball up to their two elite strikers.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I have no doubt that we are lacking creativity in midfield, but that was not the issue with qualifying. This team could not defend. It let every semi-speedy forward beat it on the counter attack. It would also be helpful to have at least one elite striker. This is the formula that Uruguay ( a country with only 4 million people) followed to finish second in Conmebol qualifying. They do not have any creativity in the midfield, but they defend for their life and skip the midfield to get the ball up to their two elite strikers.

Echoing thoughts... wide defenders are gassed from pacing up and down the pitch to cover for an awful midfield, central defenders are not athletic enough to cover 40 yards laterally, gaps in the defense. Linking play sounds so simple, but there are necessary parts to make it work.

There are two issues going on IMO. First is what needs to happen with us not qualifying and second, what needs to happen to get us to the next level and not simply qualify but make waves at a WC. I think a hard look at our team shows that the reason we failed to qualify is not for lack of talent but poor coaching and attitude. The team was more than talented enough to qualify. CONCACAF is not hard to get out of.

The harder question is what will it take to get to the point of making waves at the WC. That is where I think the look at developing talent really is crucial. That may also be the silver lining in not qualifying in that we take a good look at our set up and change things to help us long term.

Anyway it's put, not qualifying for the World Cup because the US couldn't beat a banana republic on a wet field is disgusting. I am shocked that some people still have jobs today. I mean Bruce Arena? Meet the new boss, the same as the old boss.

Nike and Fox Sports just lost out on millions of dollars and I'm sure they are screaming for changes.

How Arena is still employed after that debacle is beyond me. And I know he can't be fired, but Sunil Gulati better not be re-elected in February.

Having to wait 4 years before soccer is relevant to the casual fan is another reason the US soccer federation needs to look at how it markets the game. We cant do anything about the fact that Concacaf stinks and the Gold Cup just doesnt mean anything. We should take part in the Copa America more often if not on a regular basis to get some quality games.

My understanding is that we have declined most invitations and the most recent time we took part in the event in S. America we fielded weakened teams. The opportunity to play Brazil or Argentina in a competitive match is something we should jump on any chance we have.

Reactions: kc78
Having to wait 4 years before soccer is relevant to the casual fan is another reason the US soccer federation needs to look at how it markets the game. We cant do anything about the fact that Concacaf stinks and the Gold Cup just doesnt mean anything. We should take part in the Copa America more often if not on a regular basis to get some quality games.

My understanding is that we have declined most invitations and the most recent time we took part in the event in S. America we fielded weakened teams. The opportunity to play Brazil or Argentina in a competitive match is something we should jump on any chance we have.

I'd say the 2019 Gold Cup will be possibly the most important tournament the USMNT will play. Win that, it sets up 2021 Confederations Cup. Plus, that Gold Cup should be the first major coming out party for the new squad that should be used to build towards 2022.

Bruce Arena has resigned and rightfully so. Now if Gulati would get kicked out in February, the rebuilding can begin.

Gold Cup 2019 must be the absolute priority right now. Start building a squad now to win that thing. Everyone will most likely be sending their A team in 2019 because the Confed Cup berth is on the line. USA only needs to win. If any other country wins, then they play the US in a playoff game later on to determine who goes.

I agree on the Copa America. They wanted to get to the Confederation's cup and the Olympics so they could play competitive matches. Here is an extremely high quality competition that they could play every 4 years without worrying about qualification.

Reactions: DDennis73
I agree that from a competitive standpoint the Gold Cup is important but as far as generating interests in soccer I dont think it moves the dial at all. Weve done great in the Gold Cup historically but its just an afterthought and honestly it doesnt, IMO, help gauge how we are competitively.

Now going to the confederations cup is a big deal and exactly the type of tournament we need to participate in. So it is an ends to a mean. But lets go play in the Copa America. Lets play some high profile friendlies in the future.

Reactions: HulaNole
Who are you guys rooting for in Russia now that the US is out?

I've been on the Chile bandwagon since the last World Cup. Super bummed they're not going either.

It sucks that Chile isn't going. Ever since Arsenal signed Sanchez he has been playing in the summer for Chile. No that he is 99.9% out the door this summer, he will not be playing and will finally be able to rest.

I will root for Italy if they make it out of the playoff.

I will root for Italy if they make it out of the playoff.
Good point. I guess it's hard to know since the field isn't complete yet. Here's who's in so far...

i

I will say that if you're not rooting for Iceland, pop. 334,000 to at least get out of their group, then you don't have a heart. If not for Leicester winning the Prem, and maybe in spite of it, they are the greatest story in modern soccer history.

If I'm MLS or a Euro club, I'm pouring money into areas like Miami-Dade. Metaphorically air dropping flyers over Belle Glade pointing out how many clubs there are on earth that pay an avg of >$1m/player/year vs how many football and bball teams on earth do the same. Distributing soccer balls and FIFA 2018 to anyone who'll take it.

It's crazy how expensive and sterile our youth leagues are, perhaps some folks in power have a vested interest in protecting the current supply line of wealthy-ish players, but they're doing the USMNT a disservice.

It was crazy how many guys on our 2014 WC roster were Americans but raised abroad (Jermaine, Julian, Fabian, Mix, prob a few others I forgot).

Who are you guys rooting for in Russia now that the US is out?

I've been on the Chile bandwagon since the last World Cup. Super bummed they're not going either.
I'll be rooting for Peru (if they make it), Iceland, Egypt, Colombia, Mexico, and Spain.

USMNT and Jimbo have me in the mood for disappointment, might as well keep it going.

If I'm MLS or a Euro club, I'm pouring money into areas like Miami-Dade. Metaphorically air dropping flyers over Belle Glade pointing out how many clubs there are on earth that pay an avg of >$1m/player/year vs how many football and bball teams on earth do the same. Distributing soccer balls and FIFA 2018 to anyone who'll take it.

It's crazy how expensive and sterile our youth leagues are, perhaps some folks in power have a vested interest in protecting the current supply line of wealthy-ish players, but they're doing the USMNT a disservice.

It was crazy how many guys on our 2014 WC roster were Americans but raised abroad (Jermaine, Julian, Fabian, Mix, prob a few others I forgot).
Timmy Chandler and John Brooks too.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I'll be rooting for Peru (if they make it), Iceland, Egypt, Colombia, Mexico, and Spain.

USMNT and Jimbo have me in the mood for disappointment, might as well keep it going.
Yeah, other than Spain...not a lot of hope to make it too deep in the knockout rounds w/that stable of teams...but certainly a few could get out of their groups.

Been thinking about this off and on the past few days. Something the new president of USSF needs to institute is a similar program to RBI that is an MLB initiative. Put up fields all over the place, hire some entry level type field supervisors, provide soccer balls and run pick up games all over the country.

Obviously, you'd need to start off with a LOT of structure to keep kids interested (keeping sandbagging, ODP/DA types out) and keep the 18 year olds away from demolishing 10 year olds, but i think something along these lines would do a TON of good in jump-starting a free form development of talent and desire.

Been thinking about this off and on the past few days. Something the new president of USSF needs to institute is a similar program to RBI that is an MLB initiative. Put up fields all over the place, hire some entry level type field supervisors, provide soccer balls and run pick up games all over the country.

Obviously, you'd need to start off with a LOT of structure to keep kids interested (keeping sandbagging, ODP/DA types out) and keep the 18 year olds away from demolishing 10 year olds, but i think something along these lines would do a TON of good in jump-starting a free form development of talent and desire.
Even that might be too structured. There has to be a culture where kids are playing pick up games in their neighborhoods or on the streets with their buddies. Gradually iron will sharpen iron.

You don't need proper fields and supervisors... just a ball and some target that you can imagine is a goal. This has to stop being a sport where you need resources (money, transportation, or land) to play. Gotta get kids from the Muck involved

I will say that if you're not rooting for Iceland, pop. 334,000 to at least get out of their group, then you don't have a heart. If not for Leicester winning the Prem, and maybe in spite of it, they are the greatest story in modern soccer history.

What ever happened to Aron Johannson? Has he been hurt, or does he all of the sudden suck so bad that he can't make a team of losing underachievers?

Screw Iceland, they screamed afoul when Aron declared that he would play for the US. I hope a big glazier falls off and sinks Iceland. I'd rather root for those underdog, goat humping Syrians.

That would have been great drama if Russia, the US and Syria were all drawn in the same group. Talk about the group of death!.

Ive always rooted for England. Always been let down lol But it is fun to have a rooting interest. I do think that Iceland is a feel good story. Would like to see Ireland make it and do well.

Couple of points:
1. Soccer wll actually be coming under some scrutiny as Boston U begins to turn their CTE focus to this sport rather than just football. The publicity will not be good, for example- there has been a number of articles that have come out over the last year on heading the ball and the damage it does. If I'm FIFA I begin to get ahead of this quickly. Don't pull an NFL and tobacco company and deny it... should heading be banned all together is the question? I bring this up because it could push kids to stick to bball and baseball.

Dr. Omalu, who identified CTE and grew up in Nigeria a fan of soccer, mentioned that he would get rid of heading all together. It's the only way soccer will survive (his words).

2. The number of players who were from abroad were the result of Jurgen Klinsman. True or false? There was a massive thread in Big Soccer if Julian Greene, for example, should really be representing this US.

I think he's stuck at Werder II.

As for Rossi, he got his share of grief, but that was different, he didn't even make the Azzurri, but the stage was set for this could have been his platform. 2013 could have been huge with Rossi, Donovan, Dempsey, Howard....

Couple of points:
1. Soccer wll actually be coming under some scrutiny as Boston U begins to turn their CTE focus to this sport rather than just football. The publicity will not be good, for example- there has been a number of articles that have come out over the last year on heading the ball and the damage it does. If I'm FIFA I begin to get ahead of this quickly. Don't pull an NFL and tobacco company and deny it... should heading be banned all together is the question? I bring this up because it could push kids to stick to bball and baseball.

Dr. Omalu, who identified CTE and grew up in Nigeria a fan of soccer, mentioned that he would get rid of heading all together. It's the only way soccer will survive (his words).

2. The number of players who were from abroad were the result of Jurgen Klinsman. True or false? There was a massive thread in Big Soccer if Julian Greene, for example, should really be representing this US.
1. I didn't really say this in relation to CTE, but I do think that presents an additional marketing opportunity as kids/parents realize the impact of football. I dunno how severe soccer's CTE crisis will be as I haven't seen or heard the science. I guess it's a trade off then, if you're gonna play a sport that destroys your brain, then play the one that destroys it more slowly and offers you more opportunities to get paid for longer. I'd agree that bball or other sports also stand to benefit, but there's only so many bball teams out there (at the moment)

1. I didn't really say this in relation to CTE, but I do think that presents an additional marketing opportunity as kids/parents realize the impact of football. I dunno how severe soccer's CTE crisis will be as I haven't seen or heard the science. I guess it's a trade off then, if you're gonna play a sport that destroys your brain, then play the one that destroys it more slowly and offers you more opportunities to get paid for longer. I'd agree that bball or other sports also stand to benefit, but there's only so many bball teams out there (at the moment)
As of last year, they don't allow heading at the younger levels of youth soccer anymore. I think it's not until like 13+ and maybe quite a bit later than that I honestly don't know, where you're allowed to start heading the ball now.

It doesnt seem like there can the same level of damage done in soccer compared to football. Yes, one incident in soccer may compare to football hits, but it seems to me the difference is that in football you have players going through full speed contact on literally every play. Whereas in soccer there cant be that many headers taken by a player in a game.

In youth soccer, players cannot head the ball until U13, at least in the US. The biggest issue in the past was the ball as it was hard as a rock. The soccer balls used today are a lot softer and lighter than in years past, so I don't believe the research is comparable to what still happens today.

Are there risks? Of course there are, but I don't think they are severe enough for headers to be 100% eliminated from soccer.

I've played soccer for years and never have seen an adult suffer or have long term suffering with head injuries, and yes, we played with harder and heavier balls.

As for the knees, half of us who played for 25 years can't walk anymore, and I suffer with bad knees, especially when it rains or it gets cold. This whole not heading until they are 13 is all BS. Christ, kids that age don't even head the ball anyway, and if they do, most aren't coached to do it correctly.

But, having kids, I will abide by any rule that helps protect the growing and maturing brain of a child.

I've played soccer for years and never have seen an adult suffer or have long term suffering with head injuries, and yes, we played with harder and heavier balls.

Not true. Watch and read below.

1)

2)
"....On Tuesday, The Telegraph launches a campaign to demand action on brain injuries potentially caused by football with the backing of those deeply affected plus medical experts.

The issue has been brought into sharp focus in this 50th anniversary year of the 1966 World Cup triumph, with four of the eight surviving outfield players of England’s greatest team now confirmed to be suffering with significant memory problems.

Ray Wilson, Martin Peters and Nobby Stiles were diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in their sixties while Jack Charlton has been struggling with memory loss since his late seventies.

According to the Alzheimer’s Society, the number of men suffering from dementia in the wider national population between the ages of 65 and 69 is one in 75, which only rises to around one in 10 from 80 to 84.

Experts have told us that the incidence rate among the 1966 heroes is “frightening” but they had already become alarmed by the anecdotal evidence of the devastating stories of hundreds of other former footballers.
"

Full ink:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ry-risk-no-lower-now-than-in-the-past-warn-m/

Gwin, I understand, completely. I am 47 and just saying that any of the guys I played with don't show any signs of CTE or anything yet.

When does the brain damage start? At an early age? Do kids who quit soccer after the age of 18 have any signs, or is it just the long term players? For those older players who show signs, did they have collisions when they played that could have caused problems?

I'm just torn on the issue, but again, if there's anything that helps protect the child, I am for it.

Gwin, I understand, completely. I am 47 and just saying that any of the guys I played with don't show any signs of CTE or anything yet.

When does the brain damage start? At an early age? Do kids who quit soccer after the age of 18 have any signs, or is it just the long term players? For those older players who show signs, did they have collisions when they played that could have caused problems?

I'm just torn on the issue, but again, if there's anything that helps protect the child, I am for it.

Good discussion. Look, I love soccer but I do not want it to be seen in the same light as the NFL and tobacco companies who both went kicking and screaming about their activities not causing what doctors said they do.

I do not think soccers headings will be nearly as bad as tackle football's constant collisions with respect to the force of the players vs heading the ball in soccer.

However two things:

1) how will folks in the hotbeds of soccer take to the thoughts of banning heading in Europe, Mexico and Brazil (for example)? A friend of mine from Britain said it should be banned but it will not go over well at all there. Any thoughts? You're a soccer fan ask a random Manchester friend who lives in the U.K. his thoughts....

2) if banning the heading of the ball did happen do you think the game would not be as fun? It's legitimately called FOOTball for a reason.... I watch a lot of matches and headers outside of the 18 are usless IMO. If a player traps the ball with his chest instead of heading it I'd think they would maintain possession more so.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT