ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas guard goes missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I talk about being healthier for the planet, I'm referring from a global warming perspective. Cows, specifically are terrible for the planet with the amount of methane they produce. When you add in the cost of crops required to feed them, gas to bring feed to them and then take them to market, etc... they're statistically terrible and cutting those out of our diet completely would cut back on Methane immensely (Which is about 1/3 of the cause of global warming) which also removes itself very quickly.

With that said, I'm not kicking and screaming for it. I'd be a terrible vegetarian. However scientists do tell us that if every human would make one day a meatless day that the results would be pretty dramatic.
Cows?? You should see me after a trip to Taco Bell!

When I talk about being healthier for the planet, I'm referring from a global warming perspective. Cows, specifically are terrible for the planet with the amount of methane they produce. When you add in the cost of crops required to feed them, gas to bring feed to them and then take them to market, etc... they're statistically terrible and cutting those out of our diet completely would cut back on Methane immensely (Which is about 1/3 of the cause of global warming) which also removes itself very quickly.

With that said, I'm not kicking and screaming for it. I'd be a terrible vegetarian. However scientists do tell us that if every human would make one day a meatless day that the results would be pretty dramatic.

There was an article I read yesterday that said that oysters and clams produce far more CO2 and other “bad” gases than Cows. And both ants and termites produce more than cows based upon overall population as well. But...there is somewhat of an alternative. Kangaroos, ostriches and emus produce FAR less noxious gases than cows and other ruminants, so switching to a Roo (which IS delicious) and ostrich (which is bland) based meat would save a lot of excess gas.

Yet we are running out of water to grow all this freakin' corn.

As an equal opportunity small government libertarian type, I say end agricultural subsidies!
I am unfamiliar with how the whole farm subsidy thing works.

I know I had to drive up and down the state of Illinois a month ago, and took a more scenic route, and saw nothing but farms, with what appeared to be pretty well off farmers living on them (good sized houses; nice new trucks, campers/RV's, etc). Is farming a good gig to get into? Does it require a cover letter?

I can grow hair, corn can't be that hard.

I am unfamiliar with how the whole farm subsidy thing works.

I know I had to drive up and down the state of Illinois a month ago, and took a more scenic route, and saw nothing but farms, with what appeared to be pretty well off farmers living on them (good sized houses; nice new trucks, campers/RV's, etc). Is farming a good gig to get into? Does it require a cover letter?

I can grow hair, corn can't be that hard.
Let's just say that Big Ag is at least as guilty (if not more so) of manipulating the federal government as Big Oil or Big Pharma. Farmers are actually paid not to grow food in order to help stabilize the markets.

Ethanol use is mandated as part of this corporate welfare. I generally vote Republican, but the GOP is traditionally quick to support Big Ag while ostensibly opposing government spending across the board in many other areas.

It's just much easier to point fingers at groups we don't like.

1xs5cr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT