ADVERTISEMENT

Very random question for my Tallahassee residents...

noleone99

Seminole Insider
Jun 17, 2009
O.K. I hope someone has a good answer to this lol. So I’m a big fan of aviation, all types. Love to attend air shows and whatnot. That said I pay attention to practically every type of aircraft that flies over my head. Here’s my question, there is a LARGE jet that doesn’t appear to be commercial that flies over all the time, see it quite a bit. Saw it about an hour ago flying basically directly over I-10 and it makes some crazy bank turns at times. I’ve seen it at high altitude/low speed before, low altitude/higher speed. Can anyone tell me WHAT the heck it is? Obviously it’s not on flight tracker or anything. Makes me wonder honestly if it’s (dare I say) remote controlled? Does anyone see this jet? I’ve put it in binoculars and appears to have no markings to be commercial. Somebody has to have some info here. :)

Reactions: squiffynole
45ba5c898395dfd06a7bb8fcff8b8cd5.jpg

O.K. I hope someone has a good answer to this lol. So I’m a big fan of aviation, all types. Love to attend air shows and whatnot. That said I pay attention to practically every type of aircraft that flies over my head. Here’s my question, there is a LARGE jet that doesn’t appear to be commercial that flies over all the time, see it quite a bit. Saw it about an hour ago flying basically directly over I-10 and it makes some crazy bank turns at times. I’ve seen it at high altitude/low speed before, low altitude/higher speed. Can anyone tell me WHAT the heck it is? Obviously it’s not on flight tracker or anything. Makes me wonder honestly if it’s (dare I say) remote controlled? Does anyone see this jet? I’ve put it in binoculars and appears to have no markings to be commercial. Somebody has to have some info here. :)

Yes, Since I live in Southwood I’ve seen both C-130s (which I know are operated by civilian transport companies as well) and C-17s (which I believe are exclusively military in the US, although Canadian and Qatari airlines have them as civilian cargo planes).

I’ve seen the C-17 flying low over the house twice including just last week or the week before ie quite recently. I don’t know what it would be doing at a civilian airport and that far from its main airport (I didn’t see any C-17s as being based in Florida but I assume the Wikipedia may not be up to date). But you’re not crazy, I saw the military cargo plane as well on two seperate occasion. It’s pretty easy to tell as the C-17 is a fat and squatty but huge plane.

220px-Boeing_C-17_Globemaster_III_departs_RIAT_Fairford_on_17July2017_arp.jpg

C17_aircraft_alt.jpg

030404-F-4728F-008.JPG

There’s nothing else in the US you would mistake it for other than the slightly larger C-5s which look like this (longer and therefore less “squatty” looking even though they’re just as wide or wider than the C-17s).

220px-C-5_Galaxy_In-_Flight.png

LockheedC5.jpg

C-5A_AMARC.jpg

So basically the C-5 looks more like a conventional passenger jet just wider and with a more bulbous front, while the C-17 doesn’t really look like anything in Western airlines (there is a Russian plane that looks somewhat similar, maybe enough to mistake it from afar). So I definitely saw a C-17 even though they “shouldn’t” be here.

I live in Southwood, very close to the airport. I notice all sorts of strange aircraft flying around. I realize this does nothing to answer your question though. Sorry.
So you live "very close to the airport" yet you say there are many aircraft flying around? This situation is very strange and should be looked in to immediately.

Need a little help
Engines on wings or tail?
How many engines?
What color?
Any markings at all?
How large is "large"?
One engine on each wing. Looks like a large Airbus or Boeing. Mostly gray it appears and it IS NOT military from the looks of it. Has like commercial windows like a passenger jet.

Yes, Since I live in Southwood I’ve seen both C-130s (which I know are operated by civilian transport companies as well) and C-17s (which I believe are exclusively military in the US, although Canadian and Qatari airlines have them as civilian cargo planes).

I’ve seen the C-17 flying low over the house twice including just last week or the week before ie quite recently. I don’t know what it would be doing at a civilian airport and that far from its main airport (I didn’t see any C-17s as being based in Florida but I assume the Wikipedia may not be up to date). But you’re not crazy, I saw the military cargo plane as well on two seperate occasion. It’s pretty easy to tell as the C-17 is a fat and squatty but huge plane.

C17_aircraft_alt.jpg

030404-F-4728F-008.JPG

There’s nothing else in the US you would mistake it for other than the slightly larger C-5s which look like this (longer and therefore less “squatty” looking even though they’re just as wide or wider than the C-17s).

LockheedC5.jpg

C-5A_AMARC.jpg

So basically the C-5 looks more like a conventional passenger jet just wider and with a more bulbous front, while the C-17 doesn’t really look like anything in Western airlines (there is a Russian plane that looks somewhat similar, maybe enough to mistake it from afar). So I definitely saw a C-17 even though they “shouldn’t” be here.
Unfortunately it is not military from the looks of it. In general I know my planes/jets and this appears commercial, but not lol. It’s strange to me.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Sorry about that. If you tell me where you live, I will have my pilot approach and take off in another direction. If only Tallahassee had a place to dock my yacht like any civilized city, this wouldn't be an issue.
Lol, I see at work more than anything. I work at Maclay Gardens (Killearn area) and I’m outside quite a bit.

Unfortunately it is not military from the looks of it. In general I know my planes/jets and this appears commercial, but not lol. It’s strange to me.

Ah, well then I can’t recall seeing anything else unusual beyond the C-17s and to a lesser extent the C-130.

Back around 97-98 there were a lot of “alien” sightings in Tallahassee that ended up being photographed by one of the local tv stations and it was a four engined scram jet of some kind, that was probably the “Aurora” spyjet (never officially admitted, but the photos showed four scramjets which didn’t match anything that’s been publicly released) being flown out of Eglin. Although officially/publicly never stationed there, I remember seeing F-117s in Eglin when I would visit my uncle on the base long before they were officially outed and back when they were being called F-19s in the tinfoil community.

Sidenote by “Aurora” I very likely mean the SR-72 that Lockheed officially said they were “working on” and revealed some specs and will be unveiled in a year or two. I assume what we saw in 97-98 was a prototype and that the SR-72s have been in actual full use for a decade or more. The F-117 had its prototype maiden flight in 1977 as the Have Blue and was operational in 1983 and fought in Panama but wasn’t officially acknowledged until 1991 after the initial days of Desert Storm. So 14 years from prototype to acknowledgement would mean that the SR-72 is a little longer in tooth than the F-117 “stealth fighters” if what we saw in 97-98 is the same plane as what will be announced and not a true successor plane.

I only mention all of that because the tinfoil community applies the Aurora tag to the triangular hover planes that have been filmed and photographed repeatedly but those are a completely different aircraft called the TR-3B by the tinfoil community that has some type of magnetic hover drive and not scramjets.

Actual photos of the magnetic drive TR-3B

aurora_tr3_b_in_flight.jpg

77374810001_2860377304001_vs-52900ddbe4b0c45f0b06efd2-1083021587001.jpg

And a video

Versus the scramjet SR-72

Hhmmm, I mysteriously can’t seem to find the old 90s shots that used to be very easy to find on the internet for years. Not sure why they are being buried by Google but not the others. If I find them I’ll repost them here.

With the official drawing of the SR-72 by Lockheed

sr72_big.jpg

And a spec drawing

7c5d86888a2cfdb678b0ad16eed632f0.jpg

And btw there’s something else out there also mistakenly called Aurora, likely a stealth fighter/tactical attack jet. Here’s the actual photos of whatever this will be called. It might be the prototype for the B-21 that’s going to replace the B-1s and some B-52s as it’s tough to gauge size from such a distance.

tP9aBQJ.jpg

aurora.jpg

And then there’s this hypersonic plane accidentally photographed by Google Earth at the airport near Trump’s “Southern White House”.

2018-01-11_13-00-44.png

2018-01-11_13-40-55-1-1024x488.png

So a much smaller hypersonic aircraft, maybe even a UAV rather than a piloted plane.

The morale of this story is...there’s lots of weirdo planes out there....but I haven’t seen anything other than cargo planes and other officially outed military in Tally since the late 90s.

Last edited:
Reactions: noleone99
I see military planes a good bit in Southwood. Some helicopters, some fighter jets, some that appear to be transport planes. I say frequent, but it is usually every couple of weeks I’ll see something. Not frequent in the sense that you would see in an actual military city.

I see military planes a good bit in Southwood. Some helicopters, some fighter jets, some that appear to be transport planes. I say frequent, but it is usually every couple of weeks I’ll see something. Not frequent in the sense that you would see in an actual military city.
I do too, saw a couple Chinooks fly over today. But man this jet would catch your eye it does some not so normal maneuvers from what I’ve seen. The craziest was the day I saw it at fairly high altitude and VERY low speed like stall speed. It was strange to say the least.

Yeah, for whatever reason we DO get various fighters flying over Southwood more than you would think is typical considering how far they’re flying from their home bases. Probably just training assuming something might happen to the state capital. As far as the helos, I was told they do practice runs from various air national guard bases from Jacksonville and elsewhere over to Ft Blanding in Starke on the regular.

Yeah, for whatever reason we DO get various fighters flying over Southwood more than you would think is typical considering how far they’re flying from their home bases. Probably just training assuming something might happen to the state capital. As far as the helos, I was told they do practice runs from various air national guard bases from Jacksonville and elsewhere over to Ft Blanding in Starke on the regular.
I always wondered if the fighters are refueling or doing touch and go’s since our airport is um, shall we say, not busy? Same with the big C-130’s and other cargo planes.

Is a 10 minute flight from Tyndall 'far'?
McDill is under 30. And that's not hot footin it.

Although I will say I don’t recall ever seeing F-35s which is the main wings now at Eglin. It’s usually F-16s with the occasional F-15 and F-22 (which is only at Tyndall in the SE I believe). Of course the F-35s are still so....ummm...”finicky”?....”buggy”?....and only has one engine so they may not purposefully allow them over cities.

Although I will say I don’t recall ever seeing F-35s which is the main wings now at Eglin. It’s usually F-16s with the occasional F-15 and F-22 (which is only at Tyndall in the SE I believe). Of course the F-35s are still so....ummm...”finicky”?....”buggy”?....and only has one engine so they may not purposefully allow them over cities.

Eglin is still a test bed, but all F-35 pilots in the world are trained there too. Haven’t heard how many been lost in pilot training.

Tyndall has a squadron of F-22s and handles all training for them. I’ve been in a boat on the Brothers river in the middle of nowhere and seen F-22s dogfight at very low altitude for a couple of minutes. Better than an air show.

Military airplanes do practice approaches at civilian airports all the time. Not unusual.
Gary I’d love to know if it’s a military jet or not, certainly appears commercial looking but no airline or any markings on it.

C17_aircraft_alt.jpg

030404-F-4728F-008.JPG

LockheedC5.jpg

C-5A_AMARC.jpg

So a couple of things here, I don’t think TLH can handle a C5, they need a whole lot of runway and a ramp that doesnt sink. Second, C-17’s could be doing training sorties, or they could be picking up cargo for a reserve or guard unit in Tallahassee. The closest base they are at is Charleston SC.

Military airplanes do practice approaches at civilian airports all the time. Not unusual.
I live under the takeoff/landing approach for NAS Jax. When the Reserve jet jockeys are getting in their monthly drills, it's usually on a weekend, and we get treated to air shows of all kinds. Not even the Blue Angels!

So a couple of things here, I don’t think TLH can handle a C5, they need a whole lot of runway and a ramp that doesnt sink. Second, C-17’s could be doing training sorties, or they could be picking up cargo for a reserve or guard unit in Tallahassee. The closest base they are at is Charleston SC.
I dunno but TLH handled Air Force One when I think it was Clinton who came to speak in the late 90’s. I think a 747 requires more length than a C-5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT