ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting Norfolk

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
My niece is graduating ODU. There are a couple of Marriott in the city and then a Springhill Suites on ODU campus. Looks like the Springhill triples the rate for ODU graduation--while the surrounding Marriots are regular. I'm looking at staying at the Residence Inn at Duke/Brambleton Having never stayed in Norfolk or really spending much time there, is this a bad part of town, not a good place to stay. The price differential is about $160 v. $300.

I've been to Norfolk a couple of times. I've stayed at:

SpringHill Suites Norfolk/Virginia Beach at 6350 Newtown Rd Norfolk Virginia 23502
Courtyard Norfolk Downtown at 520 Plume Street Norfolk Virginia 23510

Both were good enough - the Courtyard Downtown was nicer, and more expensive.

While I'm not specifically familiar with the hotel you're talking about, it's close enough to the waterfront that I believe it's probably a decent enough neighborhood. I went to a conference at the Hilton Norfolk- The Main: that whole Waterside District around there was pretty nice and had good restaurants and bars.

https://watersidedistrict.com/

Also, if they're in town while you're there, and you like baseball, maybe try to catch a Norfolk Tides game. It's a pretty good time.

https://www.milb.com/norfolk

I hope that helps some...

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
My niece is graduating ODU. There are a couple of Marriott in the city and then a Springhill Suites on ODU campus. Looks like the Springhill triples the rate for ODU graduation--while the surrounding Marriots are regular. I'm looking at staying at the Residence Inn at Duke/Brambleton Having never stayed in Norfolk or really spending much time there, is this a bad part of town, not a good place to stay. The price differential is about $160 v. $300.

I lived on the Tidewater peninsula for three years but while I went in to Norfolk for a couple of things like my fellowship at (not with, the fellowship was through W&M) NATO Command and an internship with a private law firm, I never stayed in Norfolk as I would drive back to Williamsburg instead.

So actually...if you’re just staying in Norfolk for the graduation, why not stay at Williamsburg instead? There’s a LOT more to do and it’s far more enjoyable than Norfolk.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
My .02 from a long time ago. The area right around ODU was always fairly nice, Norfolk as a whole is a s-hole. Virginia Beach is marginally better. I don't know that Id want to drive all the way to Williamsburg at least once a day but I personally am not a fan of Norfolk so pick your battles. Unless you REALLY like strip clubs. Plenty of those around.

My .02 from a long time ago. The area right around ODU was always fairly nice, Norfolk as a whole is a s-hole. Virginia Beach is marginally better. I don't know that Id want to drive all the way to Williamsburg at least once a day but I personally am not a fan of Norfolk so pick your battles. Unless you REALLY like strip clubs. Plenty of those around.

Norfolk has improved substantially when I was there a year ago versus when I lived in Williamsburg in 98-01. It’s still not what I would call a great city and I agree with you that Virginia Beach is still somewhat nicer (but nowhere as nice as OBX which is where we usually went for beach weeks/weekends), but Norfolk, Hampton and Newport News have gentrified themselved somewhat.

I’ll still say that if all you’re doing is one graduation event in Norfolk, you’ll have a much better time in Williamsburg for the rest of the visit. Williamsburg has enough to do for a week vacation, Norfolk has barely enough to do for a short weekend.

Last edited:
Norfolk has improved substantially when I was there a year ago versus when I lived in Williamsburg in 98-01. It’s still not what I would call a great city and I agree with you that Virginia Beach is still somewhat nicer (but nowhere as nice as OBX which is where we usually went for beach weeks/weekends), but Norfolk, Hampton and Newport News have gentrified themeselves somewhat............

I fully confess my data is old, but it had a LOT of room for improvement when I was stationed there. Great place for a 20 yo to get into trouble.

I have stayed at the Spring Hill Suites at ODU. It was what you would expect for that type of hotel. The area around there seemed fine if uninspiring. Can't help you with the other options.

I fully confess my data is old, but it had a LOT of room for improvement when I was stationed there. Great place for a 20 yo to get into trouble.

Oh definitely. It’s still not on par with the better coastal cities in Florida, but it’s probably nicer than most of D.C. now. I was semisurprised at how much the area improved in the past five years or so.

Thanks. Niece, brother, nephew and dad are staying in Norfolk, so staying in Williamsburg is not practical and we are not really looking at spending much time doing things other than going to niece's graduation and, presumably, the family get together afterwards.

I live in Chesapeake which is about 15 mins away from downtown Norfolk. Do yourself a huge favor and stay at The Main.

http://www.themainnorfolk.com/

You will be by the more secure section of Norfolk and the better places to eat and grab a drink. The hotel by ODU is OK but there's not much to do around there and I wouldn't recommend walking around there at night.

Let me know if you have anymore questions and I will be more then happy to help.

I like getting my points too but trust me, that Marriott is not what is used to be.

Thanks for the help. The Residence Inn I was looking at is not too far (about .5 miles) from the hotel you suggested and it looks to be in normal downtown-type area. I doubt we are going to do much sightseeing or walking around. Probably use my daughter as an excuse to skip the actual graduation ceremony and go check out the USS Wisconsin.

Reactions: ponchfrog
Thanks. Niece, brother, nephew and dad are staying in Norfolk, so staying in Williamsburg is not practical and we are not really looking at spending much time doing things other than going to niece's graduation and, presumably, the family get together afterwards.

Yep. Hilton Main and grab a beer at the Tap Room.

Don't know if you will make it to VA Beach or not but a buddy of mine owns Chesapeake Distillery and they have a small bar for tasting. Voted the #1 distillery in VA for 2 years in a row and will win it this year too.
I haven't been to Norfolk in a long time, went to naval gunfire school there back when battleships had sails. I do go to Suffolk and Va Beach about 6 weeks a year and there is plenty to do if you are working all day. Will be in VA Beach mid August and staying at the Hilton on the beach, very nice hotel.

Thanks for the help. The Residence Inn I was looking at is not too far (about .5 miles) from the hotel you suggested and it looks to be in normal downtown-type area. I doubt we are going to do much sightseeing or walking around. Probably use my daughter as an excuse to skip the actual graduation ceremony and go check out the USS Wisconsin.
We did that on my last trip. Our layover hotel was just up the river within walking distance. Cool tour.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT