ADVERTISEMENT

Watching Roberto get released on Hardknocks was tough

SnowNole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
it was clear early in the show that several teammates had completely lost faith in him when I believe Chris Baker was trash talking about him missing before kicking during the first practice. Same behavior with Folk too. Both were less than 50% in that practice on FG attempts. I know kickers have to me mentally tough, but talk like that from your own teammate is tough. Especially from someone who is a second year player and far from an established star.

I thought Roberto showed class when he was actually released, but geez I felt for the guy. He looked bewildered as to what was going to happen next. It's pretty sad when the most accurate kicker in college history can't mentally get it together. A change in scenery may help, but going to the "Windy City" was a disappointment, at least in my opinion. i am not sure whether the Bucs pulled the trigger too quickly. The pressure on Roberto was probably overwhelming but several teams have kept two kickers and used one purely for kickoffs. I would have liked to see that happen and perhaps down the road Roberto could have kicked his way out of trouble. As a Bucs' fan, I think they will eventually regret letting him go.

Reactions: MarkECannon
As a Bucs fan, I'm glad we let him go.

I wanted him to succeed, not only because he's a Seminole and it would awesome for him to have a 10+ year career with my favorite NFL franchise, but because he's a great guy too.

But this is a business, and if you don't produce, you're gone.

And the facts are that he was the worst kicker in the NFL last season, making just 71% of his kicks.

It also pissed me off when we traded into the 2nd round to get him, when the Bucs had more pressing needs! Aguayo had regressed each season at FSU. No team should have him as a 2nd round grade. He went from 95% to 90% all the way down to 80%, in his final season at FSU.

We could have drafted Vonn Bell for example, which was a much bigger need with that additional 2nd round pick.

Oh well, what's done is done, I wish nothing but the best to Roberto, but this was the right move by Tampa.

Last edited:

I wanted him to succeed, not only because he's a Seminole and it would awesome for him to have a 10+ year career with my favorite NFL franchise, but because he's a great guy too.

And the facts are that he was the worst kicker in the NFL last season, making just 71% of his kicks.

It also pissed me off when we traded into the 2nd round to get him, when the Bucs had more pressing needs! Aguayo had regressed each season at FSU. No team should have him as a 2nd round grade. He went from 95% to 90% all the way down to 80%, in his final season at FSU.

We could have drafted Vonn Bell for example, which was a much bigger need with that additional 2nd round pick.

Oh well, what's done is done, I wish nothing but the best to Roberto, but this was the right move by Tampa.

This - some people are letting their love of the Knowles blind them. He was terrible in the NFL and basically cost them the playoffs. And every FSU fan should have seen his digression first hand and how he was taken in the second round is bewildering

Reactions: QuaZ2002

Horus where would you rate Ricky at this point. If his brother was 95% and then regressed to 80%, is Ricky even that good at this point. Not bashing, just looking for an honest assessment.

Ricky wasn't that great last year IMO. He wasn't bad but he wasn't anything special.

Also, Aguayo deserved to be let go. They aren't going to hold onto a roster spot for the worst kicker in the league in case he maybe turns it around. He was terrible last year and lost them 2 games. He has not improved in the off season. If he had been a 5th round pick he would have been cut last year.

I hope he turns it around but he shouldn't have been given anymore time to do so as a Buc. They gave him a chance going into the preseason game and he missed an extra point and field goal. Sorry but that's it for him.

Reactions: V263291 and Horus.
Horus where would you rate Ricky at this point. If his brother was 95% and then regressed to 80%, is Ricky even that good at this point. Not bashing, just looking for an honest assessment.

Ricky was also a True Freshman. Didn't Roberto sit behind Hopkins his Freshman year. I'd say it would be more accurate to judge him this year if we are comparing him to his brother.

I mean Ricky did hit 100% of his FG's inside the 40, which was why everyone was so high on Roberto coming into the NFL. Everyone thought he'd be money for XPs.

Ricky was also a True Freshman. Didn't Roberto sit behind Hopkins his Freshman year. I'd say it would be more accurate to judge him this year if we are comparing him to his brother.

I mean Ricky did hit 100% of his FG's inside the 40, which was why everyone was so high on Roberto coming into the NFL. Everyone thought he'd be money for XPs.
I don't remember but if that's correct, you're right about this year. We've seen that one FG can make all the difference in being undefeated or racking up 2 losses. He needs to improve (as does everybody) over last year for us to win the close ones.

Reactions: rinod72
I don't remember but if that's correct, you're right about this year. We've seen that one FG can make all the difference in being undefeated or racking up 2 losses. He needs to improve (as does everybody) over last year for us to win the close ones.

Definitely needs to improve. No argument there...

IMO I think his college performances were little misleading. Not sure about how many actual pressure kicking situations he was in. Especially in 2013 when we were winning by an avg of 45+ppg. Extra point attempts and big lead kicks don't test ones resolve. Low blocked kicks vs Georgia tech do.

Ricky was..

5-5 within 20-29
7-7 within 30-39
7-13 within 40-49
0-1 50+

Ricky has a small sample size, but he wasn't terrible as a true freshman. He just needs to become more consistent from 40+

IMO I think his college performances were little misleading. Not sure about how many actual pressure kicking situations he was in. Especially in 2013 when we were winning by an avg of 45+ppg. Extra point attempts and big lead kicks don't test ones resolve. Low blocked kicks vs Georgia tech do.
He was money. "What a weapon"

Best thing that could have happened to him. Kid needed a big dose of humble pie. I think Ricky does too and hopefully what happened to his brother does just that. Now Roberto has a fresh start, clear his head and show some humility. He has all the talent in the world. It is all between the ears.

A lot of time all that bravado is false and covering up for insecurities. Once he started missing he fell apart. Hopefully he gets it back together in Chicago.

Reactions: SnowNole
This - some people are letting their love of the Knowles blind them. He was terrible in the NFL and basically cost them the playoffs. And every FSU fan should have seen his digression first hand and how he was taken in the second round is bewildering
Who is the or what is Knowles?

Reactions: GarneT&GolD1979
Aguayos should have just "slowed their roll" I think and Roberto should have stayed his senior year, worked on his skills and let Ricky sit a year the same way Roberto got to.

Roberto going in the second round was either going to be the most brilliant decision ever or a bomb. Sadly it was the second. I hope the Bears turn out to be a redemption story for him. Without all the media criticism and pressure of a second round pick, hopefully he can get his head straight and turn into just one more FSU kicker success story!

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
The best thing that could have happened to him IMO. If you looked at his body language and listened to him speak when getting cut, you could tell how much pressure he felt. He would never have gotten through that staying with that team, so hopefully, he can catch on somewhere else after getting his mind worked out

He has made a lot of money for a young man already, and has another chance with the Bears, while making great money. He also should have a degree from FSU, is a former FSU Football player with a national championship ring, and NFL kicker......if the dude has a pulse, he should be set for life with opportunities. I wish him well and will miss him as a Buc.

Agree but at this point a good kicker for the Bucs is one of the biggest needs and was when he was drafted which is evident now. The decision looks brilliant if he was who they thought he would be, instead he was the opposite and the decision looks horrible.

A kicker can literally win or lose games now with the extra point.

Unfortunately for Bucs fans, the kid will eventually find his swing again. You guys just better hope it isn't in an important late season game, or in the playoffs against the Bucs. He had a tough year and cost the Bucs games, there is no doubt about that. He was, however, more accurate his rookie season than another highly drafted Nole kicker was (*cough*...janikowski...*cough*). He probably deserved another year to get it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowNole
Thats a rather interesting point on roberto at FSU. He was extremely good when there was no pressure on him because we were blowing people out of games. then when the team started getting in closer games and there was more pressure on him he started to miss more FGs. Interesting thought.

I hope that Roberto Aguayo makes the Bears squad and makes the game winning kick against the Bucs in game 2 of the season. That will build his confidence and stick it to the Bucs and Jason Licht

I hope that Roberto Aguayo makes the Bears squad and makes the game winning kick against the Bucs in game 2 of the season. That will build his confidence and stick it to the Bucs and Jason Licht
Do you really think they were wrong to cut him? They used a 2nd round pick in him and he was on of the biggest reasons they just missed the playoffs last year. Then he turns around and missed a PAT and a 41 yarder in the first preseason game. Teams keep 1 kicker. Aguayo is mentally shot right now. Bucs had no choice but to get rid of him.

Reactions: nynole1

Sorry, I love Roberto, but he should in no way think he needs to "stick it to the Bucs". They used a second round draft pick on a kicker and were called fools. He vastly unperformed last year, and they were still going to give him an offseason to get his grove back. He immediately showed he was not reliable again, and after last season they were forced to go in a new direction.

I am a network engineer. I take the network down for a day, and loose the company a butt load of money, I'm going to be thankful if I'm not fired shortly after. I'm not going to blame the company that they let me go when I made a major mistake.

Do you really think they were wrong to cut him? They used a 2nd round pick in him and he was on of the biggest reasons they just missed the playoffs last year. Then he turns around and missed a PAT and a 41 yarder in the first preseason game. Teams keep 1 kicker. Aguayo is mentally shot right now. Bucs had no choice but to get rid of him.

The Raiders and Sebastian Janikowski say hello.

The Raiders and Sebastian Janikowski say hello.
Aguayo missed 2 PAT's last year. That's beyond unacceptable at the NFL level. And he missed quite a few important kicks that were under 50 yards. Under 50 yards in the NFL is supposed to be almost automatic. Janikowski didn't miss any PAT's his rookie year. And because of his leg strength his % is always going to be a little lower than normal because the Raiders will let him try really long FG's most other teams wouldn't attempt. You can't give a kicker more than a season to get it figured out. He already cost them the playoffs 1 season.

Aguayo missed 2 PAT's last year. That's beyond unacceptable at the NFL level. And he missed quite a few important kicks that were under 50 yards. Under 50 yards in the NFL is supposed to be almost automatic. Janikowski didn't miss any PAT's his rookie year. And because of his leg strength his % is always going to be a little lower than normal because the Raiders will let him try really long FG's most other teams wouldn't attempt. You can't give a kicker more than a season to get it figured out. He already cost them the playoffs 1 season.
Well wasn't the PAT a bit different for Janny and anyone before a year or so ago?

Watching him get cut didn't bother me at all. He knew it was coming and realizes he needs to get better.

I worry about Ricky. His kicks barely get over the line and his leg strength is marginal at best.

I hope we don't need him to win a game unless it's from 35 or less.

Seabass was picked in the first round and only kicked 69% in his first season. The raiders kept him and he was fine.

Same will happen to aguayo. Was picked in the 2nd and kicked 71%

Ricky:

He was money inside 40, struggled with distance. The kid put on like 20 pounds, & Jimbo has said he's hitting it better. He just wasn't strong enough last year. Thus the weight gain. He'll be improved this year.

Roberto:

He regressed at FSU, literally getting worse each year of his career so far. Thing is, he's smart for leaving early; he got paid for being a 2nd rounder as opposed to who knows what had he come back. He got some good guaranteed dough. No way he gets that if he came back for another season. Good on him. He needs to toughen up mentally at this point to continue his career.

K

If you know anything about the NFL then you will know that the extra point kick was moved to the 15 yard as opposed to the 2 yard line when Jano came out. When they implemented it, the kickers dropped from 99.3% in 2014 to 94.2% in 2015. The extra point is not automatic anymore so 2 in a season is pretty good

Reactions: David Slaton
Even with his stats at FSU, I never thought he was sure thing NFL. I posted some lite criticism and got attacked by the mob. Lol

Thats a rather interesting point on roberto at FSU. He was extremely good when there was no pressure on him because we were blowing people out of games. then when the team started getting in closer games and there was more pressure on him he started to miss more FGs. Interesting thought.
You mean like making those clutch FG's against auburn?

Hey, we all feel bad for our beloved Nole kicker. But in the grand scheme of life, he's pretty lucky. He did not do his job -- sorry, bro, just being real -- and he still walks away with at least $1.7MM in guaranteed cash. Tell me the other 21-22 year olds with that gig. Fail to sell the minimum quota of copiers and lose that $34,000 gig with 2 weeks' severance, max.

Only 12 teams missed <2 PATs last year. Seabass missed 2 last year as well. I'm not saying it's justification to keep him around (you have to look at the FG stats for that, really), but 2 PATs in today's NFL is not bad. It's not great. But it's not bad.

Reactions: NebNoles
I have a questions -- particularly for those who've played sports professionally or semi-professionally. Since last year, I've read over and over again that this is all mental for RA (something about the yips). What I'm wondering is whether he actually got some help with that. Don't some athletes who are struggling see a sports psychologist or some other sports professional that can help with the mental part of the game? There's bound to be a lot of help out there. Watching his body language and face during Hard Knocks, during the season (2016) as well as against the Bengals, you can just tell he's struggling more upstairs than anywhere else. If my livelihood were on the line, you can bet I'd be seeking some help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT