ADVERTISEMENT

What’s your summer reading list?

goldmom

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Jacksonville
People tend to have a summer beach book - I have no plans to sit on the beach and grow more skin cancers so my Dermatologist can get rich, but I picked up John Grisham’s latest and just finished it. “The Judge’s List” is set in Tally and P-cola with stops around the Panhandle and Alabama/Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Good read, and I’m not necessarily JG’s biggest fan, either.
I also have to get started on “Blood and Treasure” about Daniel Boone. I’m a big time history dork.
Off season boredom is setting in!

People tend to have a summer beach book - I have no plans to sit on the beach and grow more skin cancers so my Dermatologist can get rich, but I picked up John Grisham’s latest and just finished it. “The Judge’s List” is set in Tally and P-cola with stops around the Panhandle and Alabama/Mississippi Gulf Coast.
I also have to get started on “Blood and Treasure” about Daniel Boone. I’m a big time history dork.
Trvia: Daniel Boone and Davy Crocket never got married and lived happily ever after at the Alamo.

As for a great book:
John Kenneth Galbraith

The Great Crash 1929​

Nathaniel Philbrick’s three part American Revolution series and Edmund Morris’ Theodore Roosevelt series. Great books.

Reactions: goldmom
I’m a scifi geek…this a 7 book series I’m on now.
1649210035.jpg

I like it...it's basically a military scifi series...man discovers alien race which, of course, wants to kill humans....they are easy reads so mindless which sometimes I want/need.
Need to read that one. If you want some other series:

We are Bob series is great.
Expanse series
Gateway series
Hyperion
Old Mans War is a good read.

going to knock out the Red Rising series in a few weeks while I’m in the Bahamas.

I might finally try to push myself to the end of Ron Chernow's Hamilton biography.

Need to read that one. If you want some other series:

We are Bob series is great.
Expanse series
Gateway series
Hyperion
Old Mans War is a good read.

going to knock out the Red Rising series in a few weeks while I’m in the Bahamas.
Hyperion may be my single, most favorite sci-fi book ever.
I also enjoyed Old Mans War and rec it highly.
I’ll add those others you mention to the list.

(a side note on Hyperion…I think it actually helped get me into my residency program as the interviewer asked me “what are you reading right now?” I just happened to be reading Hyperion and gave him the name and the author of it…later he told me he really liked it)

Are you trying to tell us something?
Yup, I love financial disaster reading. The Great Depression, Enron, Tyco, 1987 crash, Savings and Loan, 2008, Dot Com Bubble, Bank Runs in 1815, Panic of 1873.....And probably, in 5-10 years, the effect of the 2020's on the world economy.

Yup, I love financial disaster reading. The Great Depression, Enron, Tyco, 1987 crash, Savings and Loan, 2008, Dot Com Bubble, Bank Runs in 1815, Panic of 1873.....And probably, in 5-10 years, the effect of the 2020's on the world economy.
May 2022 insane inflation and start of Powell's recession.

Reactions: Random_John
I'm reading about Oswald, Ruby, the FBI, CIA, the Mafia, Dallas Police, Secret Service, Castro, the umbrella dude, Oliver Stone, Parkside Dr. and autopsy staff, Air Force One personnel, the Dealey Plaza motorcycle Brigade that could easily be Hell's Angels who were undercover, LBJ and Nixon in "The Kennedy Assassination" classic who dun it. Its very riveting reading as I just can't put it down. You can order your copy from Dorks R Us! Operators are standing by. Make the call.

I recently read "Sooley" by John Grisham. It's different from his law related books. Enjoyed it. It's about a kid from Sudan trying to make it to the U.S. to play basketball.

Hyperion may be my single, most favorite sci-fi book ever.
I also enjoyed Old Mans War and rec it highly.
I’ll add those others you mention to the list.

(a side note on Hyperion…I think it actually helped get me into my residency program as the interviewer asked me “what are you reading right now?” I just happened to be reading Hyperion and gave him the name and the author of it…later he told me he really liked it)
Expanse recently finished the series so good time to knock them out so you don't have to wait.

If you like anything fantasy related Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series is really damn good. They're all like 800 pages or more though. He's 4 books in I believe.

He's finished his Mistborn series, which is excellent as well.

Expanse recently finished the series so good time to knock them out so you don't have to wait.

If you like anything fantasy related Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series is really damn good. They're all like 800 pages or more though. He's 4 books in I believe.

He's finished his Mistborn series, which is excellent as well.
I watched the Expanse on TV so I may have ruined the books?

I watched the Expanse on TV so I may have ruined the books?
I only made it a couple of seasons because the books were so much better but the plot points are likely all hit on the show. Then again, I watched two seasons of GOT before reading the books and it made the books even better for me so knows. Maybe read the first and see how you're feeling about it. They're pretty quick reads.

The Bobiverse books you can really fly through.

Reactions: Dr. Nole
Why does every dang thread get political?
I don’t care if y’all are reading the back of the cereal box...just having a conversation!
Have a nice day! And enjoy whatever you’re reading. 😬
I'm reading Unchained Heat: The Trilogy

Anyone here read John Sandford?
Randy Wayne White?
Anne Hillerman (took over for her Dad Tony Hillerman)?
This is yet another riveting thread. Almost reads like a million dollar best seller. 😱

Just finished Small World by Jonathan Edison. Currently reading A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Goldmom, have you read any of the legal series by Steve Cavanaugh? Terrific series.

Nothing else is going on - might as well read!
Do you have anything on Watching Grass Grow? Heard it was a classic spine tingler of sorts. I think it comes in two volumes because of heavy demand.

My
Wow are those “how to” instruction manuals?
I'm focusing on manuals focused on how not to. If you're not prepared for a complete and ultimate release, things could get ugly and go sideways in a hurry.

I recently read "Sooley" by John Grisham. It's different from his law related books. Enjoyed it. It's about a kid from Sudan trying to make it to the U.S. to play basketball.
I ok
Sanford avd Randy Wayne White are two of my favorites.
Enjoyed the Judges Lust as well. Liked the story be in big in the Panhandle.

Anyone here read John Sandford?
Randy Wayne White?
Anne Hillerman (took over for her Dad Tony Hillerman)?

Hey @FSU91 - I was in Scotland as well. We played Prestwick, New Course, Old Course, Carnoustie, Trump International (Aberdeen), Kingsbarns, Castle Course, and Trump Turnberry. We were fortunate to get to take pictures with the Claret Jug on the first hole of St. Andrews with 5 time Open Champion - Tom Watson.

Most days we had wind 25-35 mph. It was a tough week.
Some people love Stanford but I personally do not really care for him. His books to me are all the same and a bit formulaic. I would recommend some of David Baldacci's books instead of Stanford. He does many series. I particularly like the John Puller, Amos Decker and Camel Club series.

Reactions: Bartdog
If you are into geo-politics, Peter Zeihan has a series of books that are really interesting. I read Disunited Nations a few months ago.

Some people love Stanford but I personally do not really care for him. His books to me are all the same and a bit formulaic. I would recommend some of David Baldacci's books instead of Stanford. He does many series. I particularly like the John Puller, Amos Decker and Camel Club series.
I just started a Baldacci.

ADVERTISEMENT