ADVERTISEMENT

What “Old School” things or habits do you still hang on to?

I say "excuse me" much too often -- sometimes even when another party should be doing the excusing.
Old school politeness gone mad. Working on keeping my mouth shut.

Reactions: canoli
We don't have a dishwasher in our house. We put a beer fridge in its place. I only built a spot for it incase we sold it. I still use matches for cigars, the grill, candles ect... I don't think I own a lighter. Its not easy to find wooden kitchen matches anymore. I still hold doors, get up if a lady sits down and take my hat off indoors. Was always told there is no excuse for bad manners.

I always wash my dishes. It was one of my daily chores growing up. I'm just used to it.
When walking on a sidewalk , I always walk between my GF or any woman and the street. My BIL is a New Yorker and I noticed he always changed sides when walking around the city with my sister. Ever since he explained why, I've made it a habit as well.

Gonna have to try and think of some more

Reactions: NoleFan2U and EL73
Me either.
“They’re watching you” 😉
12774-TinFoilHat-May-Move02_large.gif

I really don’t understand anyone being bothered by yes/no sir or ma’am. i use it with people of all ages, including children. If they hear it used, they are more likely to use it and develop good manners.

I still hold the door for the next person behind me or if someone is approaching the door as I’m leaving.

And to really show my age, the correct response to “thank you” is “you’re welcome“; not “ no problem”.

I really don’t understand anyone being bothered by yes/no sir or ma’am. i use it with people of all ages, including children. If they hear it used, they are more likely to use it and develop good manners.

I still hold the door for the next person behind me or if someone is approaching the door as I’m leaving.

And to really show my age, the correct response to “thank you” is “you’re welcome“; not “ no problem”.
The "no problem" thing drives me a bit nuts, especially in this context:

Survivor: tenders money to cashier for purchase of whatever
Cashier: hands the change to Survivor
Survivor: says "thank you" to cashier
Cashier: responds with "no problem"

LOL....like the cashier had some option to keep my change, and giving it back to me was some kind of favor???

The "no problem" thing drives me a bit nuts, especially in this context:

Survivor: tenders money to cashier for purchase of whatever
Cashier: hands the change to Survivor
Survivor: says "thank you" to cashier
Cashier: responds with "no problem"

LOL....like the cashier had some option to keep my change, and giving it back to me was some kind of favor???

If you know a little Spanish then you know the normal response to Gracias is "de nada".... which literally translates "from nothing" or it was nothing. In a romantic language like Spanish, "it was nothing" kind of equals "no problem"... point being, Spanish is a very flowery language compared to English, as are all the romantic languages. But "it was nothing" doesn't seem to a problem for any Spanish speaker I know to say all the time....

Saying "bienvenidos" after a gracias, well its never said that I know of.

I still have to make a grocery list on paper and cross items off as I put them in the cart. Or else I'm doomed to forget something and have to go back.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT