ADVERTISEMENT

What activity would you select?

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
Because it's summer and pretty slow around here, let's see what you would do at the firm retreat in Orlando. We'll be there at the end of September and it's only for one afternoon, sop let that factor into your selection. The Universal parks includes the fast past. But we also rent out Island of Adventure for one night - so it's really hard to go from having an entire park at your finger tips to having to stand with the poors. I'm leaning towards sushi rolling at Morimoto.

At The Grande Lakes Orlando Resort:
· Golf

· Golf Clinic

· Tennis – Lessons or Free Play

· Spa (Facial, Massage, Manicure/Pedicure Combination)

· Culinary Experience

· Emotion Eco-Tour on Shingle Creek (Canoe/Kayak Tour)

· Fly-Fishing

Excursions:

· Animal Kingdom’s Backstage Safari

· Buena Vista Watersports

· Walt Disney World Park – Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Orlando Hollywood Studios

· I-Drive NASCAR

· Universal Studios Orlando Resort

· Universal Studios Islands of Adventure

· ZoomAir Adventure Park

· West Orange Bike Trail

Morimoto Asia Sushi Rolling

Because it's summer and pretty slow around here, let's see what you would do at the firm retreat in Orlando. We'll be there at the end of September and it's only for one afternoon, sop let that factor into your selection. The Universal parks includes the fast past. But we also rent out Island of Adventure for one night - so it's really hard to go from having an entire park at your finger tips to having to stand with the poors. I'm leaning towards sushi rolling at Morimoto.

At The Grande Lakes Orlando Resort:
· Golf

· Golf Clinic

· Tennis – Lessons or Free Play

· Spa (Facial, Massage, Manicure/Pedicure Combination)

· Culinary Experience

· Emotion Eco-Tour on Shingle Creek (Canoe/Kayak Tour)

· Fly-Fishing

Excursions:

· Animal Kingdom’s Backstage Safari

· Buena Vista Watersports

· Walt Disney World Park – Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Orlando Hollywood Studios

· I-Drive NASCAR

· Universal Studios Orlando Resort

· Universal Studios Islands of Adventure

· ZoomAir Adventure Park

· West Orange Bike Trail

Morimoto Asia Sushi Rolling

I avoid doing things in Otown from end of April through the middle of September. I have a Universal annual pass and use it extensively from Oct through the end April but the summer is when the tourons are there in force AND when it’s too hot to enjoy. So I’d choose one of the inside options and sushi rolling with Morimoto sounds great.

I'd probably do the Animal Kingdom Backstage Safari, or just go to Epcot and hang out. But, I'm a big tourist, so take my input for what it's worth...

NASCAR rollover experience would be fun.

Maybe the answer is do none of the above and instead sit in the hotel bar and write a letter to the firm’s management committee asking them why the hell they selected Orlando in September.

Right...last year it was in November. But I'm sure someone complained about the retreat being too close to end-of-year crunch time (in terms of getting your hours billed and fees paid). A good chuck of our younger associates won't go to an activity because they are too scared to be seen by their partner and have belief that there is an expectation that they should be billing instead of having fun. A sad and demented profession.

Is the culinary experience some type of demo cooking class? If so, I'd probably choose that.
Alternatives would probably be either fly fishing or the canoe/kayak trip, though it will be hot for either of those.
One other thing, I assume it's not on a Saturday; if so, I'd have to first consult the football schedule.

Animal Kingdom for me, it the culinary experiences sound cool to.

I love that resort. Sad to say I've stayed many a time on a free suite from points, only to rack up $300 or more per day in incidentals.

Is the culinary experience some type of demo cooking class? If so, I'd probably choose that.
Alternatives would probably be either fly fishing or the canoe/kayak trip, though it will be hot for either of those.
One other thing, I assume it's not on a Saturday; if so, I'd have to first consult the football schedule.

yes; it's a cooking class. Last time it was an italian theme. Learning how to make pasta. This year its bbq. Someone name Kurtis Dunston is going to show you how to pick out your ribs and prepare them, then each team cooks two slabs - one for judging and one to eat. Winner gets a prize. My buddy in NYC wants to do this one with me -- so he can drink beer and I can cook. The activies are scheduled for Sunday afternoon.

yes; it's a cooking class. Last time it was an italian theme. Learning how to make pasta. This year its bbq. Someone name Kurtis Dunston is going to show you how to pick out your ribs and prepare them, then each team cooks two slabs - one for judging and one to eat. Winner gets a prize. My buddy in NYC wants to do this one with me -- so he can drink beer and I can cook. The activies are scheduled for Sunday afternoon.

That one might be cool; it depends primarily on the presentation skills of the chef/instructor. The best class I've ever done was at the New Orleans School of Cooking (obviously on Cajun cooking). The instructor was one of the largest humans I've ever seen; a massive guy who'd grown up in the bayou, played DT for LSU & then for the Saints for awhile. He was absolutely hilarious. Prepped 4 or 5 dishes, talked a lot about his youth, then we ate & drank beer.

Wow I got to get a better job - we get a $22/day per diem for meals and your bunch takes everybody to see the Mouse?

That one might be cool; it depends primarily on the presentation skills of the chef/instructor. The best class I've ever done was at the New Orleans School of Cooking (obviously on Cajun cooking). The instructor was one of the largest humans I've ever seen; a massive guy who'd grown up in the bayou, played DT for LSU & then for the Saints for awhile. He was absolutely hilarious. Prepped 4 or 5 dishes, talked a lot about his youth, then we ate & drank beer.
Cajun or Creole? New Orleans isn't really Cajun.

Wow I got to get a better job - we get a $22/day per diem for meals
giphy.gif

Given those options, go AWOL. I'm guessing you won't be missed.

Del Frisco's/Ravenous Pig followed by Rachel's, a Thai massage and then an IV drip. If your gonna boondoggle, go big or go home early.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Maybe the answer is do none of the above and instead sit in the hotel bar and write a letter to the firm’s management committee asking them why the hell they selected Orlando in September.

Cheap. All of the blather around the importance of “togetherness” and “team building” and all of the other mumbo jumbo. Yeah, swell, but let’s do it really cheap. I mean, it’s that important and all.....

So do they pay for one from each section and you pay for whatever else you want?

Time permitting I’d probably do sushi and if the weather was conducive I’d do NASCAR.

(My wife bought me a day on the track in Daytona for Father’s Day and I still haven’t used it because it’s been too damn hot)

Then on the other end I’d do the cullinary experience and tennis, should be okay for tennis in September. I’m guessing a few others at your form play. That’s if you play tennis. I wouldn’t do a lesson if it’s not something you already do.

So do they pay for one from each section and you pay for whatever else you want?

Time permitting I’d probably do sushi and if the weather was conducive I’d do NASCAR.

(My wife bought me a day on the track in Daytona for Father’s Day and I still haven’t used it because it’s been too damn hot)

Then on the other end I’d do the cullinary experience and tennis, should be okay for tennis in September. I’m guessing a few others at your form play. That’s if you play tennis. I wouldn’t do a lesson if it’s not something you already do.

You chose one activity from either the at-resort list or off campus list. The weekend is pretty full with meetings and workshops, so the activities only are allotted 5 hours. I went with the BBQ. Logistically it makes the most sense because it's scheduled to be only 3-4 hours and is at the resort. So if we get bored or too hot, we can bail at hit the floating river and bar. Plus, never hearts to pick up a few tips on bbq. The nights are long and hard at this thing (last year the hotel ran out of booze and had to shut down the lounge at midnight). So, sitting around watching smoke and fitting in a massage afterwards sounds like a plan.

Is the retreat just for partners or are the sled dogs with you as well?

All 900 of us....but the sled dogs all run up to their room every chance they get to bill hours.

Firm Management to associates: "you are not expected to bill during this retreat, it's more important to us that you enjoy your time and get to know fellow lawyer, network, make friends, etc."

Firm partner the associate works for: "yeah...I'm still going to review your time slips to make sure you billed at least 6 hour per day."

It's a f-upped profession. But it's the life we have chosen. It's not personal, it's business.

All 900 of us....but the sled dogs all run up to their room every chance they get to bill hours.

Firm Management to associates: "you are not expected to bill during this retreat, it's more important to us that you enjoy your time and get to know fellow lawyer, network, make friends, etc."

Firm partner the associate works for: "yeah...I'm still going to review your time slips to make sure you billed at least 6 hour per day."

It's a f-upped profession. But it's the life we have chosen. It's not personal, it's business.
And thousands upon thousands signing up every year.

ADVERTISEMENT