ADVERTISEMENT

What are your hobbies?

Dhersh

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2019
I'm currently saving to be able to afford upgrades to my favorite hobby, and I'm looking to potentially pick up a new one in the meantime.

What do y'all like to do?

Normally travel. But a pandemic and a 5 year old has slowed us down a tad. I am almost completely fixated on home improvement at this point. Bought a 75 year old house back when the pandemic started and it has brought some challenges. So it is time consuming. I also engage in activities like swimming, legos, tball, soccer etc. And I consider myself an Irish pub aficionado. ☘️

Normally travel. But a pandemic and a 5 year old has slowed us down a tad. I am almost completely fixated on home improvement at this point. Bought a 75 year old house back when the pandemic started and it has brought some challenges. So it is time consuming. I also engage in activities like swimming, legos, tball, soccer etc. And I consider myself an Irish pub aficionado. ☘️
I can certainly sympathize with you regarding travel and home improvement. I would like to go out of the country, but its going to wait for now. And I want to make home improvements as well, but the first step will be owning a home 😁

What are some of the projects you are working on in your home?

Reactions: ChiefWB and GbrNole
talking about COVID and some other stuff. i think that about covers it. :)
COVID/FSU discussion I should have known you would say that lol

I spend a lot of time on here discussing COVID as well. More so than I thought I would when the pandemic began. But I like it. I already mod two forums, so its not a big deal to switch tabs to Warchant anyway.

Reactions: GbrNole and ChiefWB
Admittedly if i lived about 10 hours north of where i’m at my regular hobbies would probably expand.

I enjoy most outdoor activities but those are pretty limited in pan flat SWFL.

Reactions: ChiefWB
I can certainly sympathize with you regarding travel and home improvement. I would like to go out of the country, but its going to wait for now. And I want to make home improvements as well, but the first step will be owning a home 😁

What are some of the projects you are working on in your home?
Oh boy. Where do I start? Built a perimeter 800 ft cedar fence. Replaced a a storm water irrigation system. Installed 8 ceiling fans. Painted kitchen cabinets. Replaced all 23 windows in the house. Installed a new furnace. Tore a shed down and replaced it with 1000 sq ft of sod. And my favorite, built a pub in my basement with a full bar, pool table, bath with shower and four 55 inch tv’s. Every bit of it has been an absolute blast. Great time. Im in the pub as I type this listening to Tuesday’s Seminole headlines.

I obsess on my hobbies.

Last year I totally refit my boat and trailer. This year I've been on a quest to explore nearby lakes and rivers and have checked off Lakes Iamonia, Miccosukee, Seminole, and Talquin and the Flint, Ochlocknee, upper Apalachicola, St. Marks, Wakulla, Sopchoppy and Crooked Rivers. A run to White Springs and the Suwannee is coming soon. I've also worked in half a dozen boating/fishing trips on Apalachee Bay.

And of course FSU sports are a hobby I get into this thing where I want to attend a home game/meet for every sport every year but usually miss out on golf and cross country.

The problem is I wear my family and friends out and am always looking for new hobby buddies.

Reactions: Dhersh and GbrNole
I'm a car guy and I have a 72 Corvette that even though it is mostly restored it seems to always need some little thing fixed. Then again it's 50 years old.
Also have a 33' motorhome that we used a lot until China sent us that little bug. Haven't used it as much as we would like but will get back into it as long as we can find places to stay. Everything is crowded right now since everybody and their brother bought an RV.
I also enjoy doing my own yard work. Nothing special, just like making the yard look nice. I can use the exercise...

I'm a car guy and I have a 72 Corvette that even though it is mostly restored it seems to always need some little thing fixed. Then again it's 50 years old.
Also have a 33' motorhome that we used a lot until China sent us that little bug. Haven't used it as much as we would like but will get back into it as long as we can find places to stay. Everything is crowded right now since everybody and their brother bought an RV.
I also enjoy doing my own yard work. Nothing special, just like making the yard look nice. I can use the exercise...
You are living my dream. The RV life seems like an amazing existence.

Oh boy. Where do I start? Built a perimeter 800 ft cedar fence. Replaced a a storm water irrigation system. Installed 8 ceiling fans. Painted kitchen cabinets. Replaced all 23 windows in the house. Installed a new furnace. Tore a shed down and replaced it with 1000 sq ft of sod. And my favorite, built a pub in my basement with a full bar, pool table, bath with shower and four 55 inch tv’s. Every bit of it has been an absolute blast. Great time. Im in the pub as I type this listening to Tuesday’s Seminole headlines.
So even though the pandemic created some challenges it sounds like you have been able to keep yourself busy haha. I want a basement so bad, I've already planned what I would do to it!

Reactions: ChiefWB
So even though the pandemic created some challenges it sounds like you have been able to keep yourself busy haha. I want a basement so bad, I've already planned what I would do to it!
Agreed. Not my first basement. When I lived in Tallahassee we had a huge basement we built out. Nice part about a space like that is it keeps a pretty level temperature. Even in extreme temps.

I'm currently saving to be able to afford upgrades to my favorite hobby, and I'm looking to potentially pick up a new one in the meantime.

What do y'all like to do?
Swimming, hiking, skiing, travel (curtailed for the last bit of time except for dropping off my son at college in Utah; on way back stopped at Yellowstone, Glacier and Teddy Roosevelt National Parks), watching college football, still hang out at local drinking establishments (again curtailed), Use to have more having to do with my son's sport travel.....

Very nice. I'm a car guy as well. Specifically car electrical since I have a lot of experience in electrical. I hope to expand my knowledge on mechanical aspects some day. I'll probably buy a car to mess around with once I have a garage.

Swimming, hiking, skiing, travel (curtailed for the last bit of time except for dropping off my son at college in Utah; on way back stopped at Yellowstone, Glacier and Teddy Roosevelt National Parks), watching college football, still hang out at local drinking establishments (again curtailed), Use to have more having to do with my son's sport travel.....
I LOVE to ski. Picked it up instantaneously as soon as I was on the slopes. My family went every year when I was growing up. Always out west. Where do you ski?

I LOVE to ski. Picked it up instantaneously as soon as I was on the slopes. My family went every year when I was growing up. Always out west. Where do you ski?
We live in New Hampshire right on the Vermont Border. Attitash/Wildcat in NH and Stowe in Vermont are my favorites for downhill. I actually prefer x-country and we have 100K of trails for free in my town. Also lots of x-country in Bartlett/Jackson and Bretton Woods in NH along with Vann Trapp in Stowe, Vermont. Son lives in Salt Lake City to go to school, so think there is going to be a lot of Utah skiing in my future. Over the last 5 years we also skied Lake Tahoe area (5 different mountains) and Sun Valley.

Reactions: GbrNole and ChiefWB
Just bought land in steamboat springs and break ground in May. Moving as soon as its done. One silver lining of the last 18 months is that I learned I can work from anywhere. 100 days a year on the slopes are in my future.

What school in Utah? Is he on an athletic scholarship?

Just bought land in steamboat springs and break ground in May. Moving as soon as its done. One silver lining of the last 18 months is that I learned I can work from anywhere. 100 days a year on the slopes are in my future.
Soooo jealous! I've skied Steamboat and that's a fantastic resort. When I moved out of Florida, Colorado is one of three states that I had my eye on. I ended up in NC which is one of the other two, and I don't regret it, but wow I would love to live in the Rockies some day.

We live in New Hampshire right on the Vermont Border. Attitash/Wildcat in NH and Stowe in Vermont are my favorites for downhill. I actually prefer x-country and we have 100K of trails for free in my town. Also lots of x-country in Bartlett/Jackson and Bretton Woods in NH along with Vann Trapp in Stowe, Vermont. Son lives in Salt Lake City to go to school, so think there is going to be a lot of Utah skiing in my future. Over the last 5 years we also skied Lake Tahoe area (5 different mountains) and Sun Valley.
some cracking mountain biking and gravel riding up your way too, although a bit more into vermont, at the kingdom trails in and around burke. i have skied a few times at jay.

Reactions: fsufool
Soooo jealous! I've skied Steamboat and that's a fantastic resort. When I moved out of Florida, Colorado is one of three states that I had my eye on. I ended up in NC which is one of the other two, and I don't regret it, but wow I would love to live in the Rockies some day.
for my preferred outdoor activities NC is the overall package. i absolutely adore the pisgah national forest area. it is also very accessible to some of the best areas that northern georgia, SE tennessee and NW south carolina have to offer.

Reactions: Dhersh
for my preferred outdoor activities NC is the overall package. i absolutely adore the pisgah national forest area. it is also very accessible to some of the best areas that northern georgia, SE tennessee and NW south carolina have to offer.
I would make the move 100x again. I'm in the triangle area, but I've done a lot of exploring in the state so far. There are so many places to go, hike and explore. Asheville is out of this world cool, and my family owns a cabin on top of a mountain in Franklin, NC, so I'm no stranger to the Smokeys. Don't feel like any of that? Its ok go east and relax on the beach at Outer Banks.

Reactions: GbrNole
I would make the move 100x again. I'm in the triangle area, but I've done a lot of exploring in the state so far. There are so many places to go, hike and explore. Asheville is out of this world cool, and my family owns a cabin on top of a mountain in Franklin, NC, so I'm no stranger to the Smokeys. Don't feel like any of that? Its ok go east and relax on the beach at Outer Banks.
agreed. i spent a bunch of time with my son in greensboro and raleigh / cary areas when he was playing competitive soccer. long drives but loved it.

agreed. i spent a bunch of time with my son in greensboro and raleigh / cary areas when he was playing competitive soccer. long drives but loved it.
Oh yeah! I love that the ACC holds their women's soccer tourneys at the WakeMed facility as well. I stayed in Cary when I first moved here but went a little north to Morrisville about a year ago.

Plus my current location is right in the middle of NCSU, UNC and Duke. Winston-Salem is 1-1/2 hours away. Chances are I can watch FSU live in multiple sports each year.

Reactions: GbrNole and fsufool
Two young kids, we enjoy camping and try to go out at least once a month.

In-laws have a place on the river for us to swim, tube and take the boat out.

Other than that just golf.

Reactions: Dhersh and ChiefWB
Running, beach, and reading. I’ve read more books over the last 18 months than I had in the previous 5 years.
i read a book every time i see a post titled "eye opening" in the tribal council. not sure which section of a library it would be found in...

• Haha
Reactions: JayMel16 and Dhersh
ADVERTISEMENT