ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of music do you listen to these days?

Nole Daddy

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
So what kind of music do you listen to? I listen to a form of country called Red Dirt and Alt country( no mainstream country).

Last edited:
I listen to specific bands more than I do genres.

Band of Horses
The War on Drugs
Cold War Kids
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Grouplove

Those bands are all featuring pretty routinely in my rotation right now, among some others.

I listen to specific bands more than I do genres.

Band of Horses
The War on Drugs
Cold War Kids
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Grouplove

Those bands are all featuring pretty routinely in my rotation right now, among some others.
Right before I got into the music I am listening to I was into the last 3 you mentioned. And of course Manchester Orchestra

Looking through the Youtube list of stuff I typically hear on a daily basis I am shocked at the variety of the list. If you asked me a couple years ago I would probably have only 2 or 3 of these listed.

- Metallica
- Megadeth
- Disturbed
- The Cranberries
- Jewel
- Scorpions
- Guns N' Roses
- R.E.M
- The Offspring
- Evanescence
- Seether
- Skid Row
- Alanis Morissette
- Radiohead

Reactions: Nole Daddy
Looking through the Youtube list of stuff I typically hear on a daily basis I am shocked at the variety of the list. If you asked me a couple years ago I would probably have only 2 or 3 of these listed.

- Metallica
- Megadeth
- Disturbed
- The Cranberries
- Jewel
- Scorpions
- Guns N' Roses
- R.E.M
- The Offspring
- Evanescence
- Seether
- Skid Row
- Alanis Morissette
- Radiohead
So mostly hard, but you will throw in a good Linger and Fake Plastic Trees !!!!

Me too. Saw them in Atlanta a couple weeks ago and it’s still just as good a show as the first time I saw them in ‘01.
I have only seen the Old 97’s once, but it was recent. They played a fest in Key West in February and they were a highlight of the fest. A lot of fans did not know them because it is more Red Dirt/ Texas Country, but they brought the house down.

First I got to see a private show with Rhett Miller and Evan Felker( Turnpike Troubadors) do a song swap in a small theater. It was amazing. Then a day later Old 97’s absolutely killed it on the main stage.

Last edited:
I have only seen the Old 97’s once, but it was recent. They played a fest in Key West in February and they were a highlight of the fest. A lot of fans did not know them because it is more Red Dirt/ Texas Country, but they brought the house down.

First I got to see a private show with Rhett Miller and Evan Felker( Turnpike Troubadors) do a song swap in a small theater. It was amazing. Then a day later Old 97’s absolutely killed it on the main stage.

That’s very cool. I try to never miss a local show whether it’s full band or Rhett solo.

Should you ever want to check out something a bit different, Murray put out a solo record about 10 years ago. It’s way different from Old 97’s tunes but I’ve always dug it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchf...ont-know-where-im-going-but-im-on-my-way/amp/

The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding was the best album last year. Trying to not be an old man and go to the late show (starts at 12:15) by TWOD at Variety on Friday, but that would hurt Saturday morning.

Other than that, a brief perusal of my recently played in Spotify...

The National
Grizzly Bear
Local Natives
LCD Soundsystem
Perfume Genius
Future Islands
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Radiohead
Arcade Fire
Yo La Tengo
Bon Iver
Father John Misty
Iron & Wine
Jason Isbell
Dawes
Shovels and Ropes
Son Volt
Ryan Adams
Mandolin Orange
The Shins
Beach House
The Antlers
Beirut
The Tallest Man on Earth
Typhoon

Recent Spotify activity is a good call. In addition to the aforementioned:

Widespread Panic
Hayes Carll
Dancehall Crashers
Mad Caddies
Keller Williams & the Keels
Prince
Drive By Truckers
The Smiths
Leon Bridges
Kacey Musgraves
Robert Randolph & the Family Band
The Toasters
The Misfits
Black Flag
Big Brother & the Holding Company
The Mr T Experience
Fugazi
Sunny Day Real Estate

Late to the party as usual, in last few years I seem to have become a neo-Deadhead.
With the rise of the internet/individual songs on demand, people no longer seem to appreciate the art of making a great album...But the Dead's American Beauty is right up there among the best ever made IMO.

Reactions: billanole
The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding was the best album last year. Trying to not be an old man and go to the late show (starts at 12:15) by TWOD at Variety on Friday, but that would hurt Saturday morning.

Other than that, a brief perusal of my recently played in Spotify...

The National
Grizzly Bear
Local Natives
LCD Soundsystem
Perfume Genius
Future Islands
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Radiohead
Arcade Fire
Yo La Tengo
Bon Iver
Father John Misty
Iron & Wine
Jason Isbell
Dawes
Shovels and Ropes
Son Volt
Ryan Adams
Mandolin Orange
The Shins
Beach House
The Antlers
Beirut
The Tallest Man on Earth
Typhoon
I know I’m old (66) but I’ve never heard of any of these listed.

Whatever pops up on my playlist. The last song today was Black Star by Radiohead.

I listen to a ridiculously wide range of music, probably more diverse than anyone I've ever met. Having said that, I never heard of 75% of the bands listed in this thread.

Reactions: motas and goldmom
I like to listen to Gramatik at work too. The steady beats are kind of relaxing...

Me too. Saw them in Atlanta a couple weeks ago and it’s still just as good a show as the first time I saw them in ‘01.
We must have been at the same show in '01. The old Roxy in Buckhead, right? First time I saw them too. My friend turned me on to them just a few weeks before that show. I loved them instantly, which has honestly never happened with a group I've seen live without already knowing all their songs. I saw them a couple more times at the Variety Playhouse, but not on their last few Atlanta visits. With kids, it's getting tougher for me to drag my carcass out of the house, particularly on week nights when they tend to be in town. Or I'm just getting old.

We must have been at the same show in '01. The old Roxy in Buckhead, right? First time I saw them too. My friend turned me on to them just a few weeks before that show. I loved them instantly, which has honestly never happened with a group I've seen live without already knowing all their songs. I saw them a couple more times at the Variety Playhouse, but not on their last few Atlanta visits. With kids, it's getting tougher for me to drag my carcass out of the house, particularly on week nights when they tend to be in town. Or I'm just getting old.

No, I was still in school so it was at the Cow Haus.

I have a pretty strict “no meeting people from the internet” policy but next time they come to town let’s crush some cheap beer at the show.

I have 3 or so Pandora channels that are on depending who is in the car with me.
Trolls soundtrack (all the Disney movies)
Rage Against the Machine
Franz Ferdinand

I listen to a ridiculously wide range of music, probably more diverse than anyone I've ever met. Having said that, I never heard of 75% of the bands listed in this thread.
No kidding. But then again, if we're being honest, do you really give two flips? I mean, come on. We had the golden age of music, am I right? ;)

So what kind of music do you listen to? I listen to a form of country called Red Dirt and Alt country( no mainstream stuff).

I’m pretty eclectic in my listening habits just like my food habits. I have some preferences (generally don’t like modern country and western or hard/unmelodic rap) but even those I’ll violate if the artist is actually exceptional. I tend to listen to more grunge and 90s/00s punk than anything else, but that doesn’t constitute even half of what I listen to. I’m probably at about 25% grunge and 90s/00s, 25% all other rock from light “yacht rock” and lighter alternative fair barely above folk in “hardness” to the heaviest of heavy metals and hard rock. The other half is a mix of classical, pop, various forms and time periods of rap, bluegrass, blues, “outlaw blues”, jazz, New Orleans brass bands, house, etc...

No, I was still in school so it was at the Cow Haus.

I have a pretty strict “no meeting people from the internet” policy but next time they come to town let’s crush some cheap beer at the show.
Ah, I was thinking you were already in the ATL at that time. I forget how long ago 2001 is...

Old '97s is probably the only group I like where the word "country" can be used to describe them. But I'm probably different than most of their fans who prefer their rootsy, twangy songs to their more "pop" songs. I like both, but I must admit I enjoy their poppy songs most. Maybe because I was first exposed to them with Satellite Rides. I sort of lost track of them for a couple years and then re-discovered them in '08 with Blame it on Gravity. Loved that from the first listen. Probably too slick for the "true" fans, but I like it. Every now and then I'll check on what's going on with the band and realize they've done a new album and usually buy it. Haven't been grabbed by anything the same way since Gravity, but all their albums are good. Keep me in mind next time they roll through town.

Ah, I was thinking you were already in the ATL at that time. I forget how long ago 2001 is...

Old '97s is probably the only group I like where the word "country" can be used to describe them. But I'm probably different than most of their fans who prefer their rootsy, twangy songs to their more "pop" songs. I like both, but I must admit I enjoy their poppy songs most. Maybe because I was first exposed to them with Satellite Rides. I sort of lost track of them for a couple years and then re-discovered them in '08 with Blame it on Gravity. Loved that from the first listen. Probably too slick for the "true" fans, but I like it. Every now and then I'll check on what's going on with the band and realize they've done a new album and usually buy it. Haven't been grabbed by anything the same way since Gravity, but all their albums are good. Keep me in mind next time they roll through town.

I enjoy the full range — the older, more country stuff is great but i have always been a fan of Rhett Miller’s solo work as well and like how the pop driven stuff has filtered into the band’s work.

Their latest album, Graveyard Whistling, has a bunch of terrific tunes.

Reactions: MIKE_G
Ok, so I am caught up on their albums, as I have heard Graveyard Whistling. Agree on Rhett's solo stuff. Last time I saw them in Atlanta he and Murray acted as the group's opening acts, each performing a solo set before the rest of the group joined them for the main act. Good stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT