ADVERTISEMENT

What would you think if you got this text from a lower level employee?

SeaPA

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Dec 17, 2002
early in the morning before you headed to your office:

"Good morning, I just wanted to let you know I'm not going to make it in today; I was sick last night and as it turns out my husband needs my car anyway, his is broken down and he didn't have another way to work."

o_O

"Good morning, I just wanted to let you know I'm not going to make it in today; I was sick last night and as it turns out my husband needs my car anyway, his is broken down and he didn't have another way to work."

o_O
I’d think they’re fired.

In your office do they really have to give an explanation beyond they’re not feeling well for sick leave?

Nah, many years ago we did away with the distinction between vacation days & sick days; employees simply accrue "personal" days that they can use when sick, or for vacation, or if they just want a long weekend or something such. We just ask that you give advance notice when possible (obviously you can't when you're sick, but if you know you're not coming in next Friday let me know so I don't plan on you doing something that day).

I just was a little annoyed by the general tone, which seem to ooze "I don't care"

Reactions: AllNoles
Seems like they're screwing you over with no regard during your busy season. In my experience they should be bleeding out the eyes to justify not coming in. Sounded pretty nonchalant in that message.

I'm guessing she just wanted to stay home and eat a gallon of ice cream with her hands.

My wife works for a CPA. Time away from the office right now is tough to come by.

Last edited:
I think this depends on your tolerance for nonsense, as well as your ability to hire anyone better. The sad reality is that finding quality and reliable “lower level employees” in today’s environment is a complete crap shoot.
Concepts of dependability and personal responsibility are different than they were 20-30 years ago.

Sadly, this is the kind of behavior that you will frequently see from “lower level employees.” They are just there to get a check, and have little or no personal investment in your mission. You tolerate it, until you don’t.

It's 2018 who can't work from home these days? She'll probably get more done at home without her boss hitting on her all day.

Most of our staff works remotely quite a bit. Some jobs still require a physical presence.

I think this depends on your tolerance for nonsense, as well as your ability to hire anyone better. The sad reality is that finding quality and reliable “lower level employees” in today’s environment is a complete crap shoot.
Concepts of dependability and personal responsibility are different than they were 20-30 years ago.

Sadly, this is the kind of behavior that you will frequently see from “lower level employees.” They are just there to get a check, and have little or no personal investment in your mission. You tolerate it, until you don’t.

This is so true. Since I travel a lot I see all kinds of people in all kinds of what would be considered low level (entry level/crap jobs). Whenever I get great customer service or a positive attitude I try compliment the person or even tell the manager real quick "hey Joe that just took care of me has a great attitude and is doing a great etc" While I am sure some of the work ethic etc is part of changes in generations, I think some of it is also poor leadership/management.
My son worked all through HS and it made me really proud when people I know that he didn't know were friends of mine would tell me he was a hard worker.
However in this case the employee would have been better suited to just say I am sick; adding the my husband needs the car anyways just sounds bad and really has no bearing on the situation.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
The multiple choice excuse text sounds like she is full of crap . Is she sick or does her husband need a car?

Florida is a right to work state. I would replace her at YOUR earliest convenience.

Unless she is really great at her job and this is totally out of character, which I would bet isn’t the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

o_O
So basically she's saying even if she wasn't sick she wouldn't have made it into work because her husband's job is more important. Not sure that tidbit of information was helpful to add.

Reactions: Dr. Nole
You don't let your employees work remotely on occasion? What kind of 1980s office is this?

sweatshop.jpg

evil-scary-boss-vector-id471883872

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Is this a common issue or is she generally a pretty good employee. Yes, she'd have done herself better to simply say she was sick, but if she's overall pretty good, then maybe something came up and you're just missing all tone and body language in a text.

If she's constantly calling in sick, constantly underperforming, etc... then I'd remember it and if it's been a repeated action then address it or move on. Otherwise, let it go. Sometimes people need a day off from work before they go crazy and shoot up the office.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT