ADVERTISEMENT

What's the best life advice you've ever been given?

Lurker1999

Starter
Jul 6, 2018
Near Washington D.C.
My old college roommate gave me a whopper of good advice about a year ago.

He dropped out of college after freshman year to continue a computer software company and he has about $2 million saved in the bank now.

I was asking him about my financial situation and how it compared to other people our age.

He then let loose this golden nugget of wisdom:

"Don't compare yourself to other people. You do the best you can, you play the cards you are dealt and that's it."

I was blown away. I think that's good life advice for everyone.

Main ones that stick out in my life currently.

1) Learn a skill where you can position yourself to be the man and not working for the man.

2) Travel as much as you can before kids.

3) Compound interest.

Reactions: Lurker1999
YCDBSOYA

I have given a tie clip from my dad when I graduated college with this engraved on it. It was given to him by his father.

‘You Can’t Do Business Sitting On Your Ass’

It was his way of telling my to now go get a job and #dosomething

I’ve definitely had better advice, but this was a simple, to the point, and worked. I have it framed up and on my desk today.

YCDBSOYA

I have given a tie clip from my dad when I graduated college with this engraved on it. It was given to him by his father.

‘You Can’t Do Business Sitting On Your Ass’

It was his way of telling my to now go get a job and #dosomething

I’ve definitely had better advice, but this was a simple, to the point, and worked. I have it framed up and on my desk today.

It sounds like your Dad was all about sales and "buy low and sell high." :)

Reactions: DanC78
When a woman says "do whatever you want", do NOT do whatever you want.

Understanding women is like trying to smell the color 9.

If she's honest, funny, laid back, likes college football, eats pizza and lets you touch her butt, marry her yesterday.
** didn't take this advice when it was given to me, and I am still paying.

My old college roommate gave me a whopper of good advice about a year ago.

He dropped out of college after freshman year to continue a computer software company and he has about $2 million saved in the bank now.

I was asking him about my financial situation and how it compared to other people our age.

He then let loose this golden nugget of wisdom:

"Don't compare yourself to other people. You do the best you can, you play the cards you are dealt and that's it."

I was blown away. I think that's good life advice for everyone.

Please stop posting lies. Best advice.... block lurkerbrian

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Don’t ever lie unless you have to. But if you have to, don’t ever give an inch or waiver for a second from the story (aka lie)

From my drunk father in law talking about marriage

from my mom: trust in the Lord. believe there was a db on the football team who said same thing
about his mom. he went to godby and his dad was a math professor at fsu.

That's a pretty high standard. For us it was 2%. Which still leaves Brian out most of the time.

You would have liked my granddad @DFSNOLE , he was a great man. Peanut/Soybean farmer who was as wise as many of the learned men I have had the pleasure to know. Granddaddy gave me that advice as we were driving bent nail( U Shaped) staples in round fence posts. I could not drive a single staple without bending it, missing it or ruining it.After about 5 minutes my granddad grabbed my hammer, slammed 3 staples into the post and gave me that advice. In the 40 years since given that advice , I have never taken on a task without preparing/educating myself so I didnt miss a staple.

My Dad told me two things can happen if your wife/girlfriend is angry. They will either get over it or they won’t. He also taught me to fly and right before I soloed he said “ Son, don’t be a smoking hole”.

When a woman says "do whatever you want", do NOT do whatever you want.

Understanding women is like trying to smell the color 9.

If she's honest, funny, laid back, likes college football, eats pizza and lets you touch her butt, marry her yesterday.
** didn't take this advice when it was given to me, and I am still paying.
Good advice. Like the old saying goes, "if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy".

Reactions: Todd_FSU
ADVERTISEMENT