ADVERTISEMENT

Whistlepig's Black Prince Rye declared the world's best whiskey/whisky

For a whisky to be named as the best in the world, $499 is a bargain. Have you seen the price tag on some of the 18 year and older Scotches on the market?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
With a price tag of $499 I know why I haven't had that one. Had some Whistle Pig at the Craft Bar in Grayton. Liked it.

I actually went to the ABC near me to see if they had any Whistlepig today but they had nada. There was a blank spot for the 10 yo with a $78 pricetag but they were sold out.

So I decided to try the Crown Northern Rye. I made it on the rocks and in a Manhattan with some Punt E Mes, Angostura and a Luxardo cherry with a little leftover syrup. By itself the Crown Rye is just ok. Very smooth, probably "too smooth" in typical Crown fashion and a little thin on flavor. It's pretty light on the Rye bite for my tastes as I love super spicy ryes but it is noticeably there and the vanilla really comes through maybe even more than the spice. So on the rocks it's a little bland and wouldn't win an award for me. But %*%* of this Manhattan isn't the best one I've ever had. It might even tie an Aviation for my favorite cocktail with these exact ingredients but I'll need further testing to confirm.

Reactions: cmanole and DFSNOLE
I haven't gotten into the Whistle Pigs much. I'm much more of a wheater. I like my whiskys a bit sweet so I can sip them neat without looking like I need to chase it with a shot of Pinnacle Whipped Cream vodka. Some of my favorites you can somewhat find in Florida right now are: Weller 12, Weller Antique, Elmer T. Lee, EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Old Forester 1920 (poor man's Birthday Bourbon), etc.

Also, there are a few international websites where you can grab the Blanton's Barrel Proof or Gold for a decent price... at least under secondary including shipping. Blaton's Gold is probably the one bourbon I could drink the rest of life without having anything else. It is incredible.

I haven't gotten into the Whistle Pigs much. I'm much more of a wheater. I like my whiskys a bit sweet so I can sip them neat without looking like I need to chase it with a shot of Pinnacle Whipped Cream vodka. Some of my favorites you can somewhat find in Florida right now are: Weller 12, Weller Antique, Elmer T. Lee, EH Taylor Barrel Proof, Old Forester 1920 (poor man's Birthday Bourbon), etc.

Also, there are a few international websites where you can grab the Blanton's Barrel Proof or Gold for a decent price... at least under secondary including shipping. Blaton's Gold is probably the one bourbon I could drink the rest of life without having anything else. It is incredible.
I'm just the opposite and I primarily drink it either neat or with an ice cube of two. I want my whiskey to taste like something. The wheated bourbons are too much like Canadian blends to me. If I'm going to drink one, it's usually cask strength.

I'm just the opposite and I primarily drink it either neat or with an ice cube of two. I want my whiskey to taste like something. The wheated bourbons are too much like Canadian blends to me. If I'm going to drink one, it's usually cask strength.
I get it and that's what makes bourbon so amazing. Mash builds and proof can really change the flavor profile. Also, I'm finding you can get pretty different variations of the same bourbon with either a single barrel or a store pick. We have 5 star down in Orlando that is a local liquor store that does some tremendous store pick bourbons.

Regarding ryes, I simply don't like peppery which is what I get with a rye. With that being said, I've had the VWFR which is a 13-year age statement and that is insane good.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I get it and that's what makes bourbon so amazing. Mash builds and proof can really change the flavor profile. Also, I'm finding you can get pretty different variations of the same bourbon with either a single barrel or a store pick. We have 5 star down in Orlando that is a local liquor store that does some tremendous store pick bourbons.

Regarding ryes, I simply don't like peppery which is what I get with a rye. With that being said, I've had the VWFR which is a 13-year age statement and that is insane good.

One of the positives of your potential move to Tallahassee is Market Square Liquors, their store picks and bar. A friend and I just drank a 22 yr Willet there a couple weeks back that was phenomenal. At $2500-3000 a bottle secondary, we gladly drank 3/4 of the bottle at $23 a pour.

With your love of wheaters, I take it you stocked up on the Rebel Yell 10 year SiB? I went through a case fairly quickly and can't find anymore without paying secondary prices.

Never had the Rebel Yell Single, but the RY Small Batch is a phenomenal bargain at $20ish. On par with the trendier Buffalo Trace, I think I like the Rebel Yell more.

Speaking of Willet, I have an unopened bottle of their Pot Still Reserve. How does that stack up to others in that price range (~$50)?

Speaking of Willet, I have an unopened bottle of their Pot Still Reserve. How does that stack up to others in that price range (~$50)?

It used to be a single barrel and pretty good depending on the barrel. Now its batched, non-age stated and still not distilled by Willet. The only reason it sells at $50 is bc of the bottle design. Probably on par with Basil Hayden?

Of the $50 bottles regularly available, I'd pick just about anything over it - Russell's Reserve, Booker's, EH Taylor SiB or Four Roses SiB. For less slightly less money, I'd go with any of Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10 yr BiB or an Evan Williams SiB over it as well.

It used to be a single barrel and pretty good depending on the barrel. Now its batched, non-age stated and still not distilled by Willet. The only reason it sells at $50 is bc of the bottle design. Probably on par with Basil Hayden?

Of the $50 bottles regularly available, I'd pick just about anything over it - Russell's Reserve, Booker's, EH Taylor SiB or Four Roses SiB. For less slightly less money, I'd go with any of Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna 10 yr BiB or an Evan Williams SiB over it as well.

Good to know, I love Basil. I already have all those you mentioned (amongst others, I have a decent collection) except the EH Taylor, (which Ive been looking for and can't ever find) and the Mckenna, which Ive never tried. Just figured Id try it since it was on the shelf.
And I admit, the bottle did look pretty badass.

Good to know, I love Basil. I already have all those you mentioned (amongst others, I have a decent collection) except the EH Taylor, (which Ive been looking for and can't ever find) and the Mckenna, which Ive never tried. Just figured Id try it since it was on the shelf.
And I admit, the bottle did look pretty badass.
I would strongly suggest picking up the McKenna the next time you see it. A 10 year age stated bottled in bond bourbon for $35 is a no brainer.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Anyone had the Kirkland 7yo Tennessee whiskey from Costco? It has some really nice reviews and I was pleasantly surprised recently by Costco's XO cognac and French vodka.

You have any reviews/suggestions for the high rye bourbons?

Not smh, but i like bsing about bourbon, so here are a few high ryes i like that are easily accesible
Basil Haydens
Four Roses Single Barrel
Bulliet Bourbon

Woodford and Angels Envy have a higher rye mash also.

If you like high rye bourbons, check out rye whiskeys like Bulliet Rye; easy to find, cheap and great in manhattens and old fashioneds.

Reactions: stmnole83
I don't drink many ryes, but the ones I currently have stocked are WT101 Rye, 1792 High Rye, Rittenhouse, Jeffersons 10 year Rye and Willet Small batch rye. Russell's Reserve and the B recipe from Four Roses are technically higher rye mashbills although they're only around 20 and 30%, respectively. They should all be fairly easily obtainable and under $50 a bottle.

I don't drink many ryes, but the ones I currently have stocked are WT101 Rye, 1792 High Rye, Rittenhouse, Jeffersons 10 year Rye and Willet Small batch rye. Russell's Reserve and the B recipe from Four Roses are technically higher rye mashbills although they're only around 20 and 30%, respectively. They should all be fairly easily obtainable and under $50 a bottle.
If there's any of those (or anything else) you've been wanting to try, let me know and I'll send you samples so you can try before you buy.

Not smh, but i like bsing about bourbon, so here are a few high ryes i like that are easily accesible
Basil Haydens
Four Roses Single Barrel
Bulliet Bourbon

Woodford and Angels Envy have a higher rye mash also.

If you like high rye bourbons, check out rye whiskeys like Bulliet Rye; easy to find, cheap and great in manhattens and old fashioneds.
Most of the Jim Beam family are high ryes. My day drinker is Knob Creek. Just finished a bottle of the single barrel 120 proof. It was nice. I like Bulliet Rye better than their burbon. Basil Haydens is too light for me. Haven't had Four Roses in a while.

Gotcha, just wasn't sure you knew the difference between a high rye bourbon and a rye whisky. I sure as hell didn't 5 yrs ago.

Oh, i have the Knob Creek 120 also. It is fantastic. Every once in awhile I like to sample that and Bookers (126 proof) if I really want to get the night started quickly.

I have not, at least I don't think so. Honestly have never heard of it. Not sure if it would qualify, but ive had Beam Jacob's Ghost which is a 1yr aged white baby bourbon. It actually tasted more like a sweetened vodka or white rum and wasnt that good straight. Mixed with coke it was passable, but probably wont buy it again.

You ever had any of the high corn bourbons? The only one I've had the opportunity to taste is Hudson's Baby Bourbon. Very nice burn.

I've been looking for this guy for awhile.

images

It's low rent but supposedly a really good mixing whiskey and kind of unique as it's very corn forward. I haven't found it in Tally though.

I'm not sure I get the whole "white whiskey" phenomenon. Sounds like a marketing gimmick designed to sell "whiskey" at higher margins for the distiller. If it hasn't been aged, should you really call it whiskey?

I'm not sure I get the whole "white whiskey" phenomenon. Sounds like a marketing gimmick designed to sell "whiskey" at higher margins for the distiller. If it hasn't been aged, should you really call it whiskey?

Because "moonshine" is the stuff low rent rednecks drink and "white whiskey" is what sophisticated hipsters drink. Sure it's usually basically the same thing or close to it, but that's the name and especially price difference.

There's a number of unflavoured moonshines and white whiskies I've really enjoyed. My favorite is actually found in tacky tourist land ie Gatlinburg TN which is Doc Collier's XXX 125 proof moonshine (not their waterdowned . A very close second is the White Maker's Mark you can only get at the distillery itself (unless it's changed recently). And my third favorite I've tried is the Dickel Number 1 Corn Whiskey.

Reactions: funksouljon
I think you hit the nail on the glans. Basically it's the same recipe as the older bourbons, but aged much younger (cheaper to make) and marketed towards naive hipsters looking to snapchat (or mildly inebriated and inquistive genxr's in line behind slow assed bluehairs).

Umm anyways, the Beam Ghost was marketed at $10 more than regular Beam, yet the Ghost is aged only 1 yr vs the 4yr Beam.

A lot of it has to do with the current stocks distillers have. There's been a huge rush on bourbon and they can't keep up. That's why you're seeing age statements disappearing, as well as proof reduction and 30-40% price increases being mentioned. Everything whiskey is hot right now, regardless of what it is.

As far as calling whiskey, there isn't actually an age requirement for a distillate to be called a whiskey so it meets federal regulations. TBB regulations only qualify aging length and barrel type once you start adding bourbon or straight to the label.

A lot of it has to do with the current stocks distillers have. There's been a huge rush on bourbon and they can't keep up. That's why you're seeing age statements disappearing, as well as proof reduction and 30-40% price increases being mentioned. Everything whiskey is hot right now, regardless of what it is.

As far as calling whiskey, there isn't actually an age requirement for a distillate to be called a whiskey so it meets federal regulations. TBB regulations only qualify aging length and barrel type once you start adding bourbon or straight to the label.

It was more of a tongue in cheek question, but I agree with everything you said.

That is what happened to Elijah Craig 12 yr. I used to get that for less than $30, which is a helluva bargain for a 12 yr. Just noticed the bottle on my bar just says Small Batch now. Just pulled this from breakingbourbon.com-

"Elijah Craig was a baptist preacher who created the process for “true Kentucky bourbon.” He’s credited with the process of putting his distillate into charred oak barrels.

Citing a surge in popularity and supply not meeting demand, Heaven Hill in early 2016, removed Elijah Craig 12 Year's age statement. The brand was heading towards a Weller 12 Year future; a shelf ghost. It was either going to get hard to find and have its price raised, or have it lose its age statement to allow younger stock to be blended in it and retain its sub-$30 price point. Heaven Hill choose the latter."

By the way I just used an ABC liqours coupon for $6 off for $30 spent. Just picked up a Russell Reserve 10 and Evan Williams SiB for <$50. Let me know if anyone wants me to post the coupon here. Dude at the store said it could be used multiple time.

By the way I just used an ABC liqours coupon for $6 off for $30 spent. Just picked up a Russell Reserve 10 and Evan Williams SiB for <$50. Let me know if anyone wants me to post the coupon here. Dude at the store said it could be used multiple time.
Where did you find the coupon?

Once you go Poitín you can never go back

878362.png

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT