ADVERTISEMENT

Who designs our football uniforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saenole

Star Player
Jan 9, 2007
And who decides which combination we wear each week?

I've asked this on other boards and haven't gotten a straight answer. I know, I know, coming to the LR looking for a straight answer is a fool's errand, but I'm really curious about how the uniform process works.

Schools like Alabama, Texas, Penn State and Oklahoma don't seem to care what the fashionistas say, so I'm thinking that the Florida States of this world are going along because they need Nike money.

The new design has been garbage since it was rolled out. Guess it’s no coincidence that the football team followed suit.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Nike designs the uniform. But in the end someone from FSU has to approve them. I believe the players decide what combo to wear but Willie said he has the ability to override them, so he has the final say.

Someone in the athletic department needs to walk over to the School of Business and take Marketing 101. You don't build or maintain a brand by changing your look every week.

We came out of the 90s with one of the most recognizable brands in college football. I have no idea why we decided to mess with that success unless Nike's money was irresistible.

I thought that was made apparent years ago.
#notmychief

I don't know that we ever got a straight answer about who at FSU approved the logo change/Nike deal. Once the crap hit the fan, everyone ran for cover and started talking in circles. My guess is that after that, no one is ever going to step up as the single person who makes any decisions that might be controversial.

Schools like Alabama, Texas, Penn State and Oklahoma don't seem to care what the fashionistas say, so I'm thinking that the Florida States of this world are going along because they need Nike money.
Oklahoma and Texas have both used a number of alternate uniforms. tOSU as well. the most traditional of them all, notre dame, has obviously used a number of alt uniforms, including Saturday where you could barely read their numbers.

Basically bama is the only school that doesn't, if I gave a damn about Penn St or thought they were any good I'd include them as well but let's not get to a place where we compare ourselves to them too much.

Your post boils down to saying "why aren't we bama?" Well we're not bama b/c we haven't been playing football for 114 years and we weren't established 200 years ago. So let's stop licking their boots and trying to be them. We can just be us.

Some gems:
notre-dame-alternate-uniform-4.jpg

Tyrone-Swoopes-of-Texas-during-the-Spring-Game-Twitter-@amyyzhang.jpg

ohio-state-buckeyes-vs-nebraska-cornhuskers-ed09570aaf168a40.jpg
ohio-state-buckeyes-vs-penn-state-nittany-lions-9f34ac1200b174cc.jpg
630702838.jpg.0.jpg
-ecd70988bc5f520djpg-a66b1f3962e794e3.jpg
6136675462_1d586fc2dc_b.jpg
hi-res-6897738_crop_north.jpg

10001645-large.jpg
clem-03-09-allblue-toddkirkland-620x620.jpg
Ddziw7xVQAAwcKx.jpg

Schools like Ohio St, Michigan and Notre Dame wear alternate unis maybe once a year. Two at most. I dont think the folks here would get too upset if it was a once a year thing. But this is the third time this year we have worn the black unis to my knowledge. I know that the players get a kick out of wearing them but bottom line is that the players dont fund the school. Boosters dont like them and Willie is causing grief with the Boosters needlessly with these decisions. It doesnt make the players play any better so he literally is causing himself headaches and losing support for zero gain.

Oklahoma and Texas have both used a number of alternate uniforms. tOSU as well. the most traditional of them all, notre dame, has obviously used a number of alt uniforms, including Saturday where you could barely read their numbers.

Basically bama is the only school that doesn't, if I gave a damn about Penn St or thought they were any good I'd include them as well but let's not get to a place where we compare ourselves to them too much.

Your post boils down to saying "why aren't we bama?" Well we're not bama b/c we haven't been playing football for 114 years and we weren't established 200 years ago. So let's stop licking their boots and trying to be them. We can just be us.

Some gems:
notre-dame-alternate-uniform-4.jpg

Tyrone-Swoopes-of-Texas-during-the-Spring-Game-Twitter-@amyyzhang.jpg

ohio-state-buckeyes-vs-nebraska-cornhuskers-ed09570aaf168a40.jpg
ohio-state-buckeyes-vs-penn-state-nittany-lions-9f34ac1200b174cc.jpg
630702838.jpg.0.jpg
-ecd70988bc5f520djpg-a66b1f3962e794e3.jpg
6136675462_1d586fc2dc_b.jpg
hi-res-6897738_crop_north.jpg

10001645-large.jpg
clem-03-09-allblue-toddkirkland-620x620.jpg
Ddziw7xVQAAwcKx.jpg

Some of these look good. I don't mind switching up the look sometimes if it sticks with the overall theme of the school. But some of those makes you wonder, who is designing and who is sleeping with a decision maker to get the green light for uniform X?
e.g. the stitched M for Michigan and the weird red grey OSU stripes, the ND helmet was bad, wonder how much that production run cost. Otherwise, most are okay in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Schools like Ohio St, Michigan and Notre Dame wear alternate unis maybe once a year. Two at most. I dont think the folks here would get too upset if it was a once a year thing. But this is the third time this year we have worn the black unis to my knowledge. I know that the players get a kick out of wearing them but bottom line is that the players dont fund the school. Boosters dont like them and Willie is causing grief with the Boosters needlessly with these decisions. It doesnt make the players play any better so he literally is causing himself headaches and losing support for zero gain.
I mean it is the players who are laying their bodies on the line. When's the last time a booster tore an ACL in spring practice or suffered a concussion against clemson?

Boosters support the program, not make fashion decisions.

My kids Sat nite when NBC showed highlights of ND-FSU 1993:

Kids: those FSU uni's are sick
Me: I know
Kids: why did they change those?
Me: $$$$'s(shaking head)

My kids Sat nite when NBC showed highlights of ND-FSU 1993:

Kids: those FSU uni's are sick
Me: I know
Kids: why did they change those?
Me: $$$$'s(shaking head)
That's basically the way of the world.
Can't think of a line of business where folks don't do something to damage their own product in the name of cash, clicks, or views.

Folks are obsessed with the short term profit motive.

Why is this such an issue? BC has gold helmets. Our guys are confused enough. Give me purple this weekend. It can only help.

Because when you are losing everything becomes an issue. :)

And agree, it can't hurt can it? I mean, what we lose at home for the first time in .....? Or we get blown out for the first time in ... ?

A lot of the uniforms in the pictures shown above are retro versions that the school once used. Not a problem.

And I wouldn't even be concerned with us going radical on the new looks if the players liked it AND it furthered our brand. I think we're failing the second test...it seems to me we're destroying our brand and I don't understand why we're doing this unless there's big money in it for the program.

So back to my original question...who decides which uniforms we wear each week? If Nike is designing the various pieces, do they require that we use each one a certain number of times each year?

So back to my original question...who decides which uniforms we wear each week? If Nike is designing the various pieces, do they require that we use each one a certain number of times each year?
Players decide, Willie has final approval.

Another example of Willie wanting to be being pals with the players . Dancing, back purses, picking uniform combo's and acting foolish. No wonder this team has no discipline nor has showed any improvement.

Reactions: ggmike1992
A lot of the uniforms in the pictures shown above are retro versions that the school once used. Not a problem.

And I wouldn't even be concerned with us going radical on the new looks if the players liked it AND it furthered our brand. I think we're failing the second test...it seems to me we're destroying our brand and I don't understand why we're doing this unless there's big money in it for the program.

I don't know that we ever got a straight answer about who at FSU approved the logo change/Nike deal. Once the crap hit the fan, everyone ran for cover and started talking in circles. My guess is that after that, no one is ever going to step up as the single person who makes any decisions that might be controversial.
I remember when our favorite booster representative told us the logo change would be hardly noticeable. Yeah. Right.

I still don't own anything with the new logo on it. My wife even know not to buy me anything with it, which unfortunately mostly means she doesn't even both looking for FSU gear to buy me.
Same here. The Missus recently get me an old school decal for my cave. Looks sweet.

I really don't care one way or the other about the uniform, the logo, or whatever. They are inconsequential. I care about the play on the field.

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the logo. A white guy modeling to be an indian (original logo), plus the wearing of the feather as it is is of a plains indian. If we are going to show respect to the Seminoles lets truly show respect. Get rid of the white guy and show the proper attire.

Last edited:
I am ok with wearing black every so often, but the purple helmet needs to go.

Guess this works since we don't play like FSU we might as well not look like FSU.
As someone who has followed the Noles since before the bowl streak began, I can honestly say that that I don't believe this current edition deserves to wear our real uniform.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
We would all love the different uniforms if we were 10-0.
On a related note, I think one of the reasons behind them is they think the recruits love them. That may be the case and help....if you can win in them....

I really don't care one way or the other about the uniform, the logo, or whatever. They are inconsequential. I care about the play on the field.

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the logo. A white guy modeling to be an indian (original logo), plus the wearing of the feather as it is is of a plains indian. If we are going to show respect to the Seminoles lets truly show respect. Get rid of the white guy and show the proper attire.
I'm with you - a cartoon image of a screaming indian head is nothing to brag about.

I don't care much about the combos but we shouldn't be changing colors. It's no longer garnet and gold that I can tell.

Michigan still has maize and blue, just in alternative combinations. That seems much more sensible.

Reactions: noleclone2
Just bring back the mustard yellow. It was pleasing to the eye. Oh yeah, tear away Jerseys too.

Why aren't you guys up in arms about the basketball unis? I myself want the football unis to resemble the basketball unis, all white at home, with the current red helmet but no black on it. All red. And metallic looking...

Bk-Yq25IcAAnJn0.jpg

Why aren't you guys up in arms about the basketball unis? I myself want the football unis to resemble the basketball unis, all white at home, with the current red helmet but no black on it. All red. And metallic looking...

Bk-Yq25IcAAnJn0.jpg

Because we are not a basketball school (at least not yet), and most people don't recall what the basketball uniforms looked like a couple years ago let alone 10-20 years ago.

As for the football uniforms, I would be fine with all Garnet at home and all white on the road. The helmet needs to be gold with black tomahawk stickers on it as the players earn them. If you want to have a different helmet on the road instead of gold then fine go with garnet...NO BLACK. Also, make sure the color is actually garnet, not red, purple, or any other color Nike wants us to think is garnet.

Reactions: 62Nole
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT