ADVERTISEMENT

Who's on the keto diet?

FreeFlyNole

Seminole Insider
Jan 2, 2008
I'm not sure if this has been discussed. I can't recall seeing it. I've never been on any sort of diet before. However, now at 42, eating leftover chicken nuggets and half yogurts left about I've found myself getting a little tubbier than I'd want to be. My buddy told me about it and I bought a book. It's really not that bad. You're supposed to keep it less than 20g of carbs a day, and honestly I haven't found that too difficult. There are things I miss but not, out of this world.

Are any of you guys on it? Got any interesting side dish recipes?

I've never been a big breakfast guy (at least during the week) I do a couple of eggs, some tomatoes or mushrooms and maybe a meat. I've always been a black coffee guy, so that's easy. I never really drank soda except as a mixer, so that isn't hard to give up. Lunch has been easy, meat and cheese, a salad or veggie. Snacks are good, nuts and cheeses, raw veggies.

Dinner has gotten a little boring though. Meat and veggies, any cool interesting sides would be appreciated.

Also, what do you eat when you're out? I've packed a bunch of snacks and mostly just ordered salads with a protein at restaurants when I'm on a work trip, but I'd never go to a restaurant and pay for that on purpose.

Also, any interesting snacks?

I weighed myself on day one, and will do it again day 31. We will see how it goes.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed. I can't recall seeing it. I've never been on any sort of diet before. However, now at 42, eating leftover chicken nuggets and half yogurts left about I've found myself getting a little tubbier than I'd want to be. My buddy told me about it and I bought a book. It's really not that bad. You're supposed to keep it less than 20g of carbs a day, and honestly I haven't found that too difficult. There are things I miss but not, out of this world.

Are any of you guys on it? Got any interesting side dish recipes?

I've never been a big breakfast guy (at least during the week) I do a couple of eggs, some tomatoes or mushrooms and maybe a meat. I've always been a black coffee guy, so that's easy. I never really drank soda except as a mixer, so that isn't hard to give up. Lunch has been easy, meat and cheese, a salad or veggie. Snacks are good, nuts and cheeses, raw veggies.

Dinner has gotten a little boring though. Meat and veggies, any cool interesting sides would be appreciated.

Also, what do you eat when you're out? I've packed a bunch of snacks and mostly just ordered salads with a protein at restaurants when I'm on a work trip, but I'd never go to a restaurant and pay for that on purpose.

Also, any interesting snacks?

I weighed myself on day one, and will do it again day 31. We will see how it goes.

Yes, and it works. I would download an app to track your macros. You may be consuming too much protein—which can cause you to plateau. And you really have to watch your veggie consumption. For recipes we made deviled eggs and jalapeño poppers and stuffed mushroom to add to dinner. On the road I usually grab 4 oz of sashimi, avocado and a small salad with olive oil from Whole Foods

If you exercise and eat in a caloric deficit, you’ll lose weight with well rounded nutritional intake, including carbohydrates. I’m not a fan of keto at all. Reduce carbs. Just lol.

BUT, if it works for you great.

Let's just say both of us do things that the other may not do for their physicality.... however, if you lived closer I'd hire you for my personal training, you'd probably whip me into shape. And you could probably help me with my damn ghost ant problem, considering you're an expert. Oh, and we are both Phi's so we could shoot the crap about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free I haven't done it. I do have a good friend and his wife who did it. He was a Regiment guy and medically retired, used to be a beast, wife had 2 kids in 3 years. So basically they just had to live the life they had. I didn't see him for about 4 months and he looked like a different person. Being kind I would say he lost 30-40 lbs and she lost probably a little more. I don't know much about it but it worked for them.

Let's just say both of us do things that the other may not do for their physicality.... however, if you lived closer I'd hire you for my personal training, you'd probably whip me into shape. And you could probably help me with my damn ghost ant problem, considering you're an expert. Oh, and we are both Phi's so we could shoot the shit about that.

If you are a coffee, there is Bullit coffee - it’s a brand that you add an enriched coconut oil and a table sppon of butter. It’s weird but good way to get your fat and the coconut oil improves brain function

Yes, and it works. I would download an app to track your macros. You may be consuming too much protein—which can cause you to plateau. And you really have to watch your veggie consumption. For recipes we made deviled eggs and jalapeño poppers and stuffed mushroom to add to dinner. On the road I usually grab 4 oz of sashimi, avocado and a small salad with olive oil from Whole Foods
If the idea is to avoid carbs and you have to watch your protein and veggies, what the hell do you eat? Serious question as I have interest in trying this as well. I assume you mean to eat both but keep them balanced? Is there any room for alcohol in this diet or do you totally abstain? Thanks

If the idea is to avoid carbs and you have to watch your protein and veggies, what the hell do you eat? Serious question as I have interest in trying this as well. I assume you mean to eat both but keep them balanced? Is there any room for alcohol in this diet or do you totally abstain? Thanks
Bacon

I read an article last night that Jenna Jameson lost 57 pounds on the Keto diet.
tenor.gif

Healthy fats. It’s still a reduced calorie diet. So I consumed 1800 calories. Of that the macros break down to 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fats. You can drink if you want - vodka has zero net carbs—but I would recommend against it. It’s not a diet to do if you can’t be meticulous about your macros because you are trying to put your body in Ketosis.
Veggies are carbs. You usually stick to leafy greens and non-root veggies.

I didn't go full keto, but I did a low carb diet under 50 carbs a day trying to aim for 35 and I lost over 40 lbs during the winter. I'm under 200 for the first time in a decade.

Reactions: FSUTD1
I lost a ton of weight years ago (70lbs?) on Atkins, and put about 50 of it back on over a decade. There are plenty of reasons for putting it back on, not the least of which was simply not having the will power to make it a permanent lifestyle. It worked extremely well, but it was also at the height of the Atkins craze, when there were a ton of "low carb" grocery products, so between that and all the substitute recipes (I was always making low carb bread, low carb desserts, using splenda, etc) I was walking a fine line of trying to change my diet, but not really. It was fine, until I slipped too far over the line.

I also wasn't prepared for the dropoff in my metabolism between like age 32 and 42. Or, what I suspect all that weight loss did to my metabolism. I read a study recently where they studied the metabolism of a bunch of Biggest Loser participants, and most of the people who lost a ton of weight had their metabolism affected so that even at like 1800 calories they were gaining weight back at a furious pace. I lived that...as soon as I ventured off the diet even a little, the weight gain was ferocious compared to the first time around. Again, I'm sure age was a factor.

Also, the major help of the keto diet while losing weight is the natural appetite suppression being in ketosis. I can frequently get to 6 pm for dinner and realize I haven't eaten yet that day. But as soon as you drop out of ketosis, the appetite comes roaring back. Now, even if you're limiting your carbs, if you're out of ketosis, you want four eggs for breakfast, or half a can of almonds instead of a handful.

I also kind of got into beer a little bit, so there's that too.

I think it definitely works. But I also think any diet that is very restrictive works if you stick to it, simply because your options are limited. I think to some extent you could have the "Vowel diet" and eat as much as you want of only eat foods that begin with a vowel, and it would work great if you stick to it, because there's just only so many options. I think that's a big part of why things like paleo and keto seem to work vs calorie counting and weight watcher type stuff.

I know there's science involved as well of course, but let's face it, if you are serious about keto, the fact that you basically can't eat fast food or dessert is a huge part of it. I bet most people would lose weight regardless of carbs if they relentless restricted themselves to no fast food, no desert/sweets, no beer, no Italian food, and no Mexican food.

Anyway, I'm back on it for the last couple months, but doing it differently. No low-carb subsitute recipes, no low carb ice cream, no protein bars. Trying to stick to legit food as much as possible. I'm not even weighing in yet, just kind of evaluating by belt holes and clothing fit. I'll eventually weigh in, but I'm trying to establish it as a new lifestyle and not as a challenge. The first time I weighed myself at least once a day, really dialed in on that weight loss. It was effective, but again was more like a game/ego thing than a health thing. It got kind of addictive trying to drive the weight down faster and faster.

At 45 my goal now is to sort of just eat this way now, and all of a sudden in 2-3 years I'm like 40 lbs lighter, instead of being 30 pounds lighter 8 weeks from now. Hoping that might screw with my metabolism a little less. We'll see how it goes...the challenge of playing it as a long game is having the discipline to still not have that pizza or ice cream even though you're not seeing huge weekly progress or people you haven't seen in a week commenting on your weight loss. So far I've been pretty disciplined about it.

Six or seven years ago the wife and i did weight watchers. I lost around 40 pounds. I liked that because it didn't eliminate any food groups. The primary emphasis was the avoidance of bad snacks and more importantly, portion control. I did well keeping the weight off until my neck and back issues started to really limit my physical activity.
I haven't been good at reducing my food consumption to more line up with my activity.

Tried it this year to lose some weight. Worked at the start, but got bad pseudo gout. Spoke with my dad who had done it as well and same thing happened to him. Just can't do it, uric acid builds bad on it and my knee was swollen to twice the size. Been off it for about 4 months and my knee is finally getting normal.
If it works for you go for it though. My wife mad a lot of sides with mashed cauliflower and cheese. Turnips also, mashed. Have a horseradish taste. Very good. Little high on carbs so just be free rest of day.

If you exercise and eat in a caloric deficit, you’ll lose weight with well rounded nutritional intake, including carbohydrates. I’m not a fan of keto at all. Reduce carbs. Just lol.

BUT, if it works for you great.
About 75% of women disagree with you...no offense but the type of calories do matter in a majority of cases.

So, I'm two weeks in. No problems on keeping up with it. I changed a lot of variables at once. I'm not sure whether it's no processed sugar at all, or if it's no gluten, but I've often had sore joints here and there, and I'm a flemmy sort of guy, I hake a lot, especially in the morning. All that is gone. Just gone. No congestion, no hacking. Crazy. I figure it was one of those two factors was causing inflammation. I've had these problems for years.

We will see how the weight is at 1mo. I'll say that my energy is fine, I was worried that I'd loose energy, but I've been just as active.

I'm on a low carb, no carb, intermittent fasting diet now and the biggest benefit has been a huge reduction in appetite. I think because your body burns stored sugars at a constant rate, you don't have the cravings for carbohydrates. I have also found if I eat any carbohydrates for breakfast (bread, grits, etc) I crave them really bad for the rest of the day and if I don't, I can eat a salad at lunch and a normal dinner and be fine hunger wise. I have lost 20 pounds since May which is a lot considering we've had three birthday parties and a week long vacation during that time...

Last edited:
The type of calories matter for weight loss? Could you describe which type?
Depends on a host of genetic and hormonal factors but the physiology doesn't lie. Not only type of calorie but also material state: liquid calories are perceived differently and less satiating. Foods that trigger insulin have far reaching ramifications on hunger.

Start here:

Going farther, Charles Poliquin and John Berardi will be good resources. Then there's the book Grain Brain plus a whole ton of studies too numerous to bother listing here.

I'm on a low carb, no carb, intermittent fasting diet now and the biggest benefit has been a huge reduction in appetite. I think because your body burns stored sugars at a constant rate, you don't have the cravings for carbohydrates. I have also found if I eat any carbohydrates for breakfast (bread, grits, etc) I crave them really bad for the rest of the day and if I don't, I can eat a salad at lunch and a normal dinner and be fine hunger wise. I have lost 20 pounds since May which is a lot considering we've had three birthday parties and a week long vacation during that time...
Also, the way your body uses fuel is a huge factor. Your body burns carbs first, then fat, then protein. So, if you eliminate carbs, your body goes hibernating grizzly bear mode, and burns fat for it’s main fuel source. Very efficient, and if I am honest, when I have done keto/Atkins style diets, after about 3 days, my mind is clearer, and I feel almost euphoric.

In today’s world, it is tougher to keep strict than ever, with all of the hidden sugars, etc.

Reactions: cmanole
Six or seven years ago the wife and i did weight watchers. I lost around 40 pounds. I liked that because it didn't eliminate any food groups. The primary emphasis was the avoidance of bad snacks and more importantly, portion control. I did well keeping the weight off until my neck and back issues started to really limit my physical activity.
I haven't been good at reducing my food consumption to more line up with my activity.
I am the type of guy that when I can want to drop weight, I just eat clean and exercise. I will say that my wife wanted to give Weight Warchers a try so she could drop about 10 lbs. I was very against doing it myself, but then over a 2 month span I gained a lot of weight. The last time I saw you at the Spring game . So I was at the heaviest I have been and it happened over night. I knew I would be busy and would not have the time to put in the work by exercising. So I did the Weight Watchers plan on my phone( no meetings). All I have to say is I am extremely pleased with the results. I got up to 225lbs and now dropped to 203lbs. I did it all with out really exercising and eat a lot.

I like it so much I have stayed on it longer than I wanted. I thought I would drop some weight, and get back to my regular clean eating. I will do that eventually, but this has been easy and I like it. I also was pretty strict with it the first month, but now I am back to drinking and I throw in cheat days for eating. So if you want something easy, then have at it( and I was a skeptic).

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Depends on a host of genetic and hormonal factors but the physiology doesn't lie. Not only type of calorie but also material state: liquid calories are perceived differently and less satiating. Foods that trigger insulin have far reaching ramifications on hunger.

Start here:

Going farther, Charles Poliquin and John Berardi will be good resources. Then there's the book Grain Brain plus a whole ton of studies too numerous to bother listing here.
Everything you mention could impact the basal metabolic rate and/or body composition, but it doesn't change the amount of energy in a single calorie, whether that calorie comes from a chicken breast, apple or bowl of ice cream.

Everything you mention could impact the basal metabolic rate and/or body composition, but it doesn't change the amount of energy in a single calorie, whether that calorie comes from a chicken breast, apple or bowl of ice cream.
All due respect, you're concerned about the thermodynamics, which is easy. Weight loss is about metabolism, which is anything but simple. Digestion and metabolism don't exist in a calorimeter. That's why the video is a good starting point.

What the body does with certain calories is very different from what it does with other calories. Nothing to do with basal metabolic rate whatsoever.

One simple example: a calorie (approx 0.25g) of fructose has a completely different effect on the body than 1 calorie of coconut oil. The people who make a living off getting results know that all calories aren't created equal. Most any bodybuilding/fitness/weight class sport coach will know. Science is slowly catching up to decades of practical wisdom, one example being the effects of sugar/starch on the gut microbiome.

That's not really what is being discussed here. Missed the point entirely. This is one of easily dozens of examples: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29971406
According to the carbohydrate-insulin model (CIM) of obesity, recent increases in the consumption of processed, high-glycemic-load carbohydrates produce hormonal changes that promote calorie deposition in adipose tissue, exacerbate hunger, and lower energy expenditure.

But aren't those essentially body composition and BMR issues?

One simple example: a calorie (approx 0.25g) of fructose has a completely different effect on the body than 1 calorie of coconut oil. The people who make a living off getting results know that all calories aren't created equal. Most any bodybuilding/fitness/weight class sport coach will know. Science is slowly catching up to decades of practical wisdom, one example being the effects of sugar/starch on the gut microbiome.

Agreed, but this is more about body composition than body weight. For example, if I consume 100 calories of fructose, by body is more likely to store some portion as fat than if I consume 100 calories of chicken.

The general rule of thumb that I follow is calories > macros > micros.

Last edited:
Agreed, but this is more about body composition than body weight. For example, if I consume 100 calories of fructose, by body is more likely to store some portion as fat than if I consume 100 calories of chicken.

The general rule of thumb that I follow is calories > macros > micros.
That's fine and it may work for you. FYI - storing a portion as fat has a wide range of long-term weight and health consequences...so it realyl does matter beyond body composition.

What I'm saying is that there are many people where just eating less and exercising does not promote a substantial weight loss. They have to adjust the types of calories (and exercise) to get better results.

According to the carbohydrate-insulin model (CIM) of obesity, recent increases in the consumption of processed, high-glycemic-load carbohydrates produce hormonal changes that promote calorie deposition in adipose tissue, exacerbate hunger, and lower energy expenditure.

But aren't those essentially body composition and BMR issues?
All due respect, no.

Also, the way your body uses fuel is a huge factor. Your body burns carbs first, then fat, then protein.
In today’s world, it is tougher to keep strict than ever, with all of the hidden sugars, etc.
Actually, several organs prefer ketones as the most bioavailable fuel...most notably the brain.

There's some pretty big results coming out of exogenous ketones these days, if you can stomach and pay for them.

I'm on it. Down 25 at the moment and still want to get down another 25. I would say the one thing to be careful of is too much protein. Your body can only process so much and will convert the rest to glucose throwing you out of ketosis. People think it's Atkins and you consume plates of bacon, steak, pork, etc..it's not. Higher fat is key (olive oil, nuts, avocado, MCT oil, coconut oil etc..). I've been eating a ton of green leafy veggies. The reason I feel this is a sustainable lifestyle is that "fatty foods" do hold your hunger longer. I'm no longer controlled by food and don't have the energy crashes and cravings like I used to when eating carbs.

1 gram of carbs or protein = 4 calories
1 gram of fat = 9 calories

Like Cmanole, I also intermittent fast and change it up frequently. Sometimes 16:8, 18: 6, or OMAD.

I also recently started taking exogenous ketones and MCT oil but only after I break my fast. No brain fog, great energy.

Reactions: Bud Fox
Ive done it almost accidentally when traveling for work for a week and once I realized it, stayed with it for a month just to see what happened. Even bought those pee strips and was turning them dark maroon for most of the time (high ketosis).

Honestly I didnt notice much of a difference other than the diet. It was fun at first, eating eggs cooked in butter, bacon, ribs, wings, cheese. But started to have to get creative out of boredom. One of my favorite recipes was spaghetti squash in butter and rao's spaghetti sauce with grilled chicken parmesan with a nice thick slab of mozz melted on top.

Bulletproof coffee was another awesome thing, and still drink it occasionally. (Coffee, coconut oil, and grass fed butter). I also stopped drinking beer, but was still able to drink large amount of bourbon and vodka and still stay in ketosis according to the piss strips.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT