ADVERTISEMENT

Why are cabinets so expensive

cmanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2002
Basically some cleaned up plywood with dressed up facades and some hardware that ranges from servicable to highend but not overly expensive. What am I missing?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
knock down cabinets are the value prospect. Basically they come in a box and you have to assemble them. Many of the knock down sets are as nice as high end cabinets at a fraction of the price.

Reactions: cmanole
I'm asking a question chief. If you can't answer it, sitck to moderating. :p

I read his curt reply as "you think they aren't worth a price, build your own and see the quality you end up with". Then perhaps you understand what you are paying for. building a box is easy, building one that shows the craftsmanship, is the same for 6 cabinets side by side, and functions well is a PITA. I was considering but ended up deciding to not build my own. And I have the tools to to do it. Some are definitely overpriced, agreed. However, you say plywood, many these days don't even use plywood, they use press board/MDF to lower the price and quality.

Reactions: cmanole and DFSNOLE
I read his curt reply as "you think they aren't worth a price, build your own and see the quality you end up with". Then perhaps you understand what you are paying for. building a box is easy, building one that shows the craftsmanship, is the same for 6 cabinets side by side, and functions well is a PITA. I was considering but ended up deciding to not build my own. And I have the tools to to do it. Some are definitely overpriced, agreed. However, you say plywood, many these days don't even use plywood, they use press board/MDF to lower the price and quality.
No. I just like to bust Cman's nads.

I just paid two grand for a row of cabinets in my pharmacy wall, but they did have some pricier requirements (needed double locks and “unbreakable” glass).

Basically some cleaned up plywood with dressed up facades and some hardware that ranges from servicable to highend but not overly expensive. What am I missing?
It's all labor. It's like taking your car to the dealer for a repair, Parts are $25 and Labor is $500.

knock down cabinets are the value prospect. Basically they come in a box and you have to assemble them. Many of the knock down sets are as nice as high end cabinets at a fraction of the price.
Near as nice. Not.
Near as functional? Sure

Because the manufacturer knows a woman is more than likely behind the purchase of cabinets, and you can charge them anything you want. See shampoo, for example.

I agree...you need to figure out a way to disrupt the cabinet industry.

Something similar to what Tuft & Needle are attempting with the mattress market.

The cabinets that were put in our house when it was built are awful. While they look nice on the outside all the internal parts, the important part, are falling apart after 4-5 years of use. And we looked at many a new house with cabinets that looked more flimsy than the ones we ended up with. I did not expect to have this kind of issue with this part of the house and will most likely have all the cabinets replaced a few years down the road.

Roughly what prices are you seeing for well built custom cabinets that are built to last?

Just dropped about 15k for custom cabinets for the kitchen remodel we just did....wife actually had 20k cabinets picked out and I vetoed.

Custom cabinetry can widely vary in cost due to level of the mill shop making them, the level of the details chosen and the type of wood used.
When I was in West Palm, I had one guy who would do all my Palm Beach work and another for commercial/less high end jobs.

When I see old cabinets being splintered with a sledge hammer on home rehab shows I wonder why not salvage and re-install in a garage or something.

The level of detail/intricate cuts that a good cabinet man can do amazes me. I couldn't build a square bird house but the guy that did our house cut the crown molding on the top of the cabinets to mesh with custom window trim. Seamless!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
The level of detail/intricate cuts that a good cabinet man can do amazes me. I couldn't build a square bird house but the guy that did our house cut the crown molding on the top of the cabinets to mesh with custom window trim. Seamless!
The guy I used for my Palm Beach jobs had a shaper from the 1920's and a wall full of knives to go with it. I never found a profile he couldn't match regardless the age. He did unbelievable work and was compensated well.

The guy I used for my Palm Beach jobs had a shaper from the 1920's and a wall full of knives to go with it. I never found a profile he couldn't match regardless the age. He did unbelievable work and was compensated well.

Yep, there are artisans that can by hand create something amazing (see also hand hammered Aston Martin bodywork) OR you can get a mass produced crap product that might do the minimum (see Fiat).

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT