ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Chris Thompson keep getting passed on the Redskins depth chart?

nole96

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Oct 10, 2002
All he's done is average 6 yards a carry for his career, but he keeps getting passed up by not-exactly-marquee players. First he was passed by Matt Jones and his awful 3.4 ypc. Then it was an undrafted rookie named Rob Kelley who hadn't proved anything. And this year it's 4th round rookie Samaje Perine who literally hasn't done a single thing at this level. Today Kelley got injured, and there was Perine leapfrogging Thompson to the tune of 21 carries to Thompson's 3. Perine ended up with just 67 yards on those 21 carries (3.2 ypc).

Thompson had 77 yards on just 3 carries.

Look at the Redskins record the last few years and you have your answer. Loser organization with an egomaniac for an owner. I'm surprised they have kept him. They've made dumber moves.

He is fragile. He has dealt with injuries all through college and the NFL. I think he was injured in high school too but am not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: NebNoles
He is fragile. He has dealt with injuries all through college and the NFL. I honk he was injured in high school too but am not sure.
Maybe the Skins should at least give him a chance before they draw conclusions that he is fragile. He's had 10 carries in a game only once in his entire career, and what did he do with those carries? Average 6.1 ypc.

Just like another poster said, that's why they're the Redskins.

Look at the Redskins record the last few years and you have your answer. Loser organization with an egomaniac for an owner. I'm surprised they have kept him. They've made dumber moves.
If you played Thompson as a everydown back in the NFL he would not last a year. The Redskins are using him perfectly and place a high value on his role. They just rewarded him with a nice contract extension,

Gotta love Thompson. He's having a good year.

Did you see Lamarcus Joyner run him down?

The same reason Darren sproles doesn't get 20 carries a game. It would take away their biggest strength, which is their blazing speed. You keep them fresh and bring them in as change of pace guys.

Best thing for him. He will have a much longer career and keep lining his pockets. Look how long sproles has been on an NFL roster.

Reactions: POWER$
He's a small guy that thrives as a 3rd down back. His body would break down probably if was the starter.

Yup

He has a role in the NFL, and he's getting paid a nice sum of money to play it.

A buddy of mine grew up with Chris, great guy. They're using Thompson perfectly IMO.

As a lowly skins fan who follows every play, the skins know exactly what they have. Jay Gruden has repeatedly called him the "best third down back in the league"

Tribal council should carry the alternate name of "team butt hurt". Yall whine about everything.

As a lowly skins fan who follows every play, the skins know exactly what they have. Jay Gruden has repeatedly called him the "best third down back in the league"

Tribal council should carry the alternate name of "team butt hurt". Yall whine about everything.
Was it fun watching Perine run 21 times for 67 yards today after Thompson had that in one play? What about a year of Matt Jones slugging along for 3.4 ypc?

Personally I prefer guys who make plays.

Gruden loves Chris. He says that he is so valuable that the don't want to risk overworking him to the point where he isn't available for 16 games. They believe he can make a larger impact with 10-15 touches a game instead of 25 and exposing him to being tired and getting hurt.

Gruden loves Chris. He says that he is so valuable that the don't want to risk overworking him to the point where he isn't available for 16 games. They believe he can make a larger impact with 10-15 touches a game instead of 25 and exposing him to being tired and getting hurt.
The problem is he doesn't get 10-15 touches a game. He gets about 3-4 carries a game, and maybe 3-4 looks in the passing game.

Speaking as a redskins fan, not an fsu homer, id rather have Ct for 8-10 years, not 8-10 carries

ADVERTISEMENT