ADVERTISEMENT

Why football is so boring...

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
mother of god, the end of the first half for the Saints vs. Falcons game was a lecture of rules. I appreciate that football and all of its many rules, delays, timeouts, etc. pull at our Puritan heart strings...but the sport is terrible

mother of god, the end of the first half for the Saints vs. Falcons game was a lecture of rules. I appreciate that football and all of its many rules, delays, timeouts, etc. pull at our Puritan heart strings...but the sport is terrible

It became so popular because of its violence, not its rules or delays. As that is toned down, so is the entertainment quality in the product.

1338787.jpg

Reactions: nynole1
But the rule book has not changed much....is there a sport with more rules.

..but the sport is terrible

Now maybe because I love the rivalry, but tonights game was incredibly entertaining, even though it was a Thursday night game.
Thursday games should only be played on Thanksgiving with a bye the week before , but that toothpaste is out of the tube, so off of my soap box .

That being said , how can you call, the sport terrible? Other than some rule changes which help players , it has always been a slow prodding game. There are 20 seconds of incredible action and then not much.
What makes it terrible IYO?

It became so popular because of its violence, not its rules or delays. As that is toned down, so is the entertainment quality in the product.

1338787.jpg

Popular because of the violence? Sheesh Americans are just baby steps mentally removed from the ancient gladiators...

Reactions: dmm5157
Now maybe because I love the rivalry, but tonights game was incredibly entertaining, even though it was a Thursday night game.
Thursday games should only be played on Thanksgiving with a bye the week before , but that toothpaste is out of the tube, so off of my soap box .

That being said , how can you call, the sport terrible? Other than some rule changes which help players , it has always been a slow prodding game. There are 20 seconds of incredible action and then not much.
What makes it terrible IYO?

There is just a lack of fluidity to the sport. So many stoppages for reviews, penalties, etc. Baseball is a slow sport, but there is a flow to the game (which has diminished since the introduction of video review). Last night, I watched some of that game at a bar here, but ended going back to my hotel to watch Top Chef.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Popular because of the violence? Sheesh Americans are just baby steps mentally removed from the ancient gladiators...

I remember sales of videos of greatest hits. Don’t remember any of greatest trick plays or catches, etc.
Like boxing or mma, violence is part of the appeal.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Replay is killing pace of play which in turn makes the game unwatchable. I am all for getting calls right but we don't need to review a catch or no catch in the first quarter to determine if it is 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 10.

The games have become unwatchable because the rules have lead to more and more penalties in the game. Penalties slow down the flow of the game and most of the rule changes have been on the offensive side which has resulted in penalty after penalty.

The NFL has actually reduced the number of commercials to speed up the flow, so that can't be used as an issue.

The WSJ did a review and found that the average NFL game had 11 minutes of live action, 17 minutes of replays, and that is spread over a 3hr time frame. No wonder the games are hard to watch, very little actual action.

Football is boring when you don’t win. Never had an issue with it being boring when we are winning.

It is the same thing that is wrong with the ACC and some of the officiating crews who use instant replay to make calls that are clear to everyone watching live on TV. As far as I think the perception of FB play in conference has improved the quality of officiating is still like a lower high school level.

Reactions: Mugsy101
I agree about the NFL. It's now boring too me and it has nothing to do with protests. As they've toned down the violence (Which they had to do) it's taken a lot of the passion out of the game. The added penalties as a result just chop the game up and make it frustrating to watch. When you add in all the ridiculous time for replays and commercials, it's just no longer a game I really enjoy watching live. I think to some extent falling in love with soccer has made that seem so much more obvious. I can't watch baseball on tv for the same reasons.

College football still remains exciting to me because there is still real passion involved on all sides. The passion and pageantry still make that game exciting. The NFL is lacking all of that now.

kc,,, Hate to call you out but I don't see how anyone can watch a minute of soccer and then think FB is boring. I have a couple of nephews play and have tried to get into the games,, but it has not happened for me.

kc,,, Hate to call you out but I don't see how anyone can watch a minute of soccer and then think FB is boring. I have a couple of nephews play and have tried to get into the games,, but it has not happened for me.
Are you watching the whole game? You can't pop in and out of soccer. You miss too much.

Last night, I watched some of that game at a bar here, but ended going back to my hotel to watch Top Chef.

Love Top Chef

I did not realize the new season had started and saw Padma doing an interview today, she sure does bring something special to a kitchen..will need to catch up on the two episodes I missed

padma-lakshmi-flour-kitchen-october.jpg

I wish college games only took three hours. Instead they take 4+.

Football is not boring. Futbol is boring.

You want a football game to last less time, yet a soccer game takes a total of 2 hours (and "one" stoppage...15 min halftime)....

Reactions: seminoleed
Are you watching the whole game? You can't pop in and out of soccer. You miss too much.
Yea, like the 1 or 2 times a game a goal is made. Just yanking folks chain about soccer, I like watching a good golf tourney and baseball is my favorite sport, so I know a thing or 2 about perceived boring sports.

A lot of parents seem to be "pushing" their kids to soccer because of lower risk of injury when compared to football. After church on Sunday nights a group of us go to the local Mexican restaurant to eat. Most of the time they will have a soccer match on TV. It seems like at least every other week a player is being taking off the field on a stretcher with very severe injuries, often times compound fractures. One was with a broken back a couple of years ago. So there is still a risk of very significant injury even with soccer.

I wish college games only took three hours. Instead they take 4+.
You want a football game to last less time, yet a soccer game takes a total of 2 hours (and "one" stoppage...15 min halftime)....

Yes....but they only score two or three times in the entire game. Like watching a 7-3 football game. And at least with a 7-3 football game, you might see some big plays.

Yes....but they only score two or three times in the entire game. Like watching a 7-3 football game. And at least with a 7-3 football game, you might see some big plays.
You don't really understand the game then. It's ok, no sport is for everybody.

You don't really understand the game then. It's ok, no sport is for everybody.

I freely admit I don't understand the game. Does momentum ever swing? How long does it take to get the ball out from your "goal line". Watching a game for two hours where nobody scores is boring. And then the refs magically decided to add time back on the clock.

Watching futbol is like watching bowling or billiards or curling. I don't understand those either. But many love them.

And make no mistake, if the USA was committed to soccer, we would win the world cup every year. Just like the NBA, the NFL, MBA etc.

If you want to make soccer interesting, allow fast breaks like the NBA. Oh and bet rid of the faux fouls and allow a timeout to be called.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
NFL football is great, given that the annual rule increases are necessary for the long-term viability of the game (and they don't always get the change right, so patience it required). Still, I have a difficult time sitting through a game because of the amateurish announcers - with a couple of exceptions they are HORRIBLE! The play-by-play guys miss half of what is happening in real time, fortunately the spotters are there to tell them what they should have been saying and they correct it during the replay. The color commentators, on the other hand, are beyond worthless - too much talking without adding ANYTHING, and either important or interesting items missed in every series of downs. I do not know of anybody who is allowed to perform as poorly at their job as those broadcasters perform at theirs.

Football is boring because it's predictable.

QB in the shotgun RB to the left, it's a run to the right side or vice versa. Pass the ball another easy predictable based on whose DB is giving ground at the snap.

Football can try the hurry up time and they get even more predictable and in the long run more boring.

UGH.

I love the “I hate futbol” crowd and the reasoning behind it. It’s ok to not like a sport but realize that every other country in the world adores it. So maybe, just maybe, they are on to something.

Football is boring because it's predictable.

QB in the shotgun RB to the left, it's a run to the right side or vice versa. Pass the ball another easy predictable based on whose DB is giving ground at the snap.

Football can try the hurry up time and they get even more predictable and in the long run more boring.

UGH.
So you have the Xs and Os and tendencies all figured out? You know you could be making millions as a coach?

I love the “I hate futbol” crowd and the reasoning behind it. It’s ok to not like a sport but realize that every other country in the world adores it. So maybe, just maybe, they are on to something.

Why do you think it never picked up in the US? I don't believe it will ever become very popular here. In the 1970s when I was in high school, people said it was growing in popularity.

Why do you think it never picked up in the US? I don't believe it will ever become very popular here. In the 1970s when I was in high school, people said it was growing in popularity.

That’s the 100 million dollar question that no one has the answer for. It’s weird because it’s up there with baseball as the most popular youth sport.

The funny thing about soccer is that there's a fairly hefty partisan divide over the love of the sports based on some studies. The strongly conservative crowd tends to hate it while liberals are far more likely to love soccer. It is funny as I have noticed my attitude towards soccer change as my political beliefs did. I used to be in the football is awesome, soccer is the worst sport in the world crowd when I was a staunch conservative. As my beliefs have slid more towards liberalism I've also found that my acceptance of the sport began to grow until I now love the sport.

Social Scientists theorize that Conservatives hate it because it is such a global sport and are far more apt to enjoy sports that only America excels at or invented. There's a bend towards an automatic hatred of soccer because of it's global appeal (And also because we're not naturally the best).

Liberals tend to like the sport more for those same reasons and are slowly distancing themselves from football because of it's more brutal/violent nature. Liberals think globalism is a good thing, are less likely to be America first, and also more open to changing ideas and embracing things such as sports that are not traditionally strong.

I'm not making an argument as to which is which (And there's obviously some conservatives who love it and some liberals who hate it) I just find it an interesting case study on how our tribal identities shape so many things that we enjoy.

Now, as for soccer in general; I think it's like any sport. If you don't understand how the sport works, how plays unfold, how momentum swings, how strategies are in play then it's going to seem like a bunch of idiots just kicking a ball around and faking injuries. I think the same is true as football. You try to get someone who doesn't understand football to watch it and they're going to say it's boring, constant stoppage, too complex, etc... If they take some time with people who truly understand the sport to explain how the game works, and if they can build an allegiance to a team they often become converts.

That's the same with soccer. The more I learn about the game (And I'm still at a very low level of understanding) the more I love it. And truth be told if the only soccer you're watching is youth soccer or MLS (Even though I'm a big MLS fan) you're going to hate it. When the game is played at a high level, it can be absolutely beautiful to watch plays develop and move. When Spain was at their height a while back, their play style of quick/precise passes that tore defenses apart and moved quickly was some of the most amazing soccer I'd ever seen and one of the most amazing things I'd ever watched in sports.

The advent of the RedZone channel really crystallized what a flawed game football is, the @mandarinole 15 min videos did the same.
Game length is problematic in a world with 390 channels, Snapchat/IG, and dozens of other ways to spend your time.

Football lacks a rhythm, frequent stoppages, replays, timeouts, commercial breaks chops the game up so much that unless you're passionate about the particular team playing, there's no sense in spending 3 hours watching.

Also hurting football is the awareness that with each jarring hit, there is a deterioration in the young man's long term quality of life, the uneven application of rules created to protect players, and the dependence on instant replay. There's a lack of stars and in 2-3 years after Brady, Brees, Eli retire it will be even greater. RB by committee has all but eliminated star RBs (except Zeke). Very few WR excel on talent alone (Antonio Brown being the huge exception), big body WRs are hit or miss and easily shut down by double coverage. Defensive schemes have gotten quite complex and are now adept at stopping some of the scoring fans love.

Football is in a long decline and will eventually settle in somewhere around MLB or worse, NHL.

ADVERTISEMENT