ADVERTISEMENT

Wimbledon likely to be cancelled.

Bill From Tampa

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Apr 1, 2002
Can't postpone it reportedly to later in the year because the grass surface would be unplayable.

I’m sure it will be but why rush to make the announcement? I realize there are logistics but feels like they could wait til 6 weeks out to make the call. Tennis is certainly a sport that could be played without fans fairly easily so that there literally is no contact between opponents and beyond that 2+ months from now testing will be in a lot better place.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Tennis & Golf are 2 sports I'm quite confused by. I understand they will need to have support staff around, and the players need to travel to the tournament locations. However, you would think by the summer that would be more feasible, especially if they could arrange private charter flights for the players.

I’m sure it will be but why rush to make the announcement? I realize there are logistics but feels like they could wait til 6 weeks out to make the call. Tennis is certainly a sport that could be played without fans fairly easily so that there literally is no contact between opponents and beyond that 2+ months from now testing will be in a lot better place.

I am going to guess it was canceled now well before the event for the same reason the British Open was canceled. In order to collect on the insurance policy, the R&A had to cancel it before a certain date. Likely the governing body of Wimbledon had a similar deadline date if they had an insurance policy.

ADVERTISEMENT