Women's Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
With the updated roster we have 19 on the roster, with Stadeker, Justus and Morgan still to come among Known freshmen recruits. That makes 22.
Following is our roster by the years.
2020(1) 25
2019(20) 21
2018(9) 24
2017(8) 27
2016(7) 24
2015(6) 20
2014(5) 21
I did the above to see if I could predict our new roster size. I can't. We've had an 8 year high of 27 and a low of 20.
We anticipate 21 this year, not knowing if there will be any foreign recruits or transfers we don't yet know about.
If anyone has any thoughts, please chime in.

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
With the updated roster we have 19 on the roster, with Stadeker, Justus and Morgan still to come among Known freshmen recruits. That makes 22.
2020(1) 25
2019(20) 21
2018(9) 24
2017(8) 27
2016(7) 24
2015(6) 20
2014(5) 21
I did the above to see if I could predict our new roster size. I can't. We've had an 8 year high of 27 and a low of 20.
We anticipate 21 this year, not knowing if there will be any foreign recruits or transfers we don't yet know about.
That's a very interesting breakdown. The season will be here before we know it - eight weeks out more or less.

btw -

FSU soccer star Jaelin Howell signs first NIL deal to serve as ambassador at Florida YMCAs​

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...s-nil-deal-signing-ymca-seminoles/5370981001/

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Schedule is set -

LunmmbA.jpg

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
This is a year where we have a chance to win. I think we all know that we should have won last year. The soccer gods did not smile on us. I was watching a men’s soccer game between Denmark and England in which they called a penalty in the box which was not 1/2 as bad as the one they didn’t call in the Santa Clara game. Just saying!

Reactions: runningnole

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Our first game is 8/19 against T A&M.
I'm guessing we need to start practice in the next couple of days.
Anyone know how far in advance of the first game practice starts?
I would think a minimum of 3 weeks right?
What say you?

noles3223

Walk-on
Silver Member
Jul 31, 2021
2020(1) 25
2019(20) 21
2018(9) 24
2017(8) 27
2016(7) 24
2015(6) 20
2014(5) 21
Looks like Beatta Olsson who led Florida in goals last year is joining based off of an Instagram story that Heather Payne posted. I don't see her on the official roster but she was wearing number 5 and she is no longer on the gators roster so looks like she is an incoming transfer.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Don't they start fall practice at least 3 weeks ahead of the first game?
If so, they have already started!
I'm sure ready for an update, or better yet an article and interview with MK.
I just checked Gatorzone.com and she played and started 7 games and was a freshman.
I'm assuming she came in the spring. She scored 7 goals in those 7 games including 2 game
winning goals. She was SEC Freshman of the week 1x and SEC offensive player of the week once.
Seems like she has some talent. She's from Sweden and as we've seen, they can play some soccer.

Last edited:

noles3223

Walk-on
Silver Member
Jul 31, 2021
Don't they start fall practice at least 3 weeks ahead of the first game?
If so, they have already started!
I'm sure ready for an update, or better yet an article and interview with MK.
I just checked Gatorzone.com and she played and started 7 games and was a freshman.
I'm assuming she came in the spring. She scored 7 goals in those 7 games including 2 game
winning goals. She was SEC Freshman of the week 1x and SEC offensive player of the week once.
Seems like she has some talent. She's from Sweden and as we've seen, they can play some soccer.
Normally that is the case but have not seen anything yet.
In regards to Olsson from the highlights I've seen of her she is a very clever player always seems to know where to be to find a goal. Also very good in the air has a good jump so will be another threat from set pieces. She went to the gators in January played in 7 games scored 7 then left. Think she is the first person I know of who has transferred from Florida to Florida State .

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Normally that is the case but have not seen anything yet.
In regards to Olsson from the highlights I've seen of her she is a very clever player always seems to know where to be to find a goal. Also very good in the air has a good jump so will be another threat from set pieces. She went to the gators in January played in 7 games scored 7 then left. Think she is the first person I know of who has transferred from Florida to Florida State .
Can you post some highlights?

noles3223

Walk-on
Silver Member
Jul 31, 2021
Can you post some highlights?

Could find four of the goals for when she was playing with the gators and one was a shot she mishit and went in. The first one is a header she scored when she went back to Sweden after the season was over this year.

Also scored a goal against Miami where she closed down a defender taking to much time clearing the ball blocked the clearance and scored after the ball hit the post.

Seems like she can score multiple ways have not seen that much of her excluding goal highlights and talking to the head coach of Georgia Southern who played them in March.

Also sorry about the quality some of the videos are not the best quality and if I didn't get video links exactly right, getting videos to show in a post is not something that I do often.

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Could find four of the goals for when she was playing with the gators and one was a shot she mishit and went in. The first one is a header she scored when she went back to Sweden after the season was over this year.

Also scored a goal against Miami where she closed down a defender taking to much time clearing the ball blocked the clearance and scored after the ball hit the post.

Seems like she can score multiple ways have not seen that much of her excluding goal highlights and talking to the head coach of Georgia Southern who played them in March.

Also sorry about the quality some of the videos are not the best quality and if I didn't get video links exactly right, getting videos to show in a post is not something that I do often.
That's terrific, thank you!

Olsson looks like a classic striker, 7 goals in 7 games with the gators is impressive.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I see where we got a commitment from Amelia Van Zanten for 2023. Ranked #11 per TDS. She's got a sister playing for ND, so that's a nice pickup. Couple that with the previous 2023 commitment from Maggie Taitano ranked #5 and this is working on being our highest rated class in a long time, especially if this caliber of recruits continues.

Last edited:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
FSU's Facebook page has a few pictures from the photo shoot.
We need a roster update ASAP!

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
https://seminoles.com/sports/soccer/roster/season/2021-22/
Roster updated.
3 players I was not familiar with. Beata Olsson the Soph. transfer from hogtown.
Maria Alagoa a Fr MFer from Portugal. Emma Bissell a Fr MFer from the UK.
Can't wait for some of you who are better at extricating good info on these kids from the internet.

This should be another year where we push deep into the tourney!

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
So the players from last year who are no longer here are:

Linn Borgen (?)
Malia Berkely (France Pro - @FCGBWomen)
Kristen McFarland (Pro in Netherlands - @scHeerenveen)
Alyssa Conarton (?)
Makala Thomas (Oklahoma)
Brooke Bollinger (Bama)
We lost six players and gained nine. It will be interesting to see who is good enough for playing time.

noles3223

Walk-on
Silver Member
Jul 31, 2021
https://seminoles.com/sports/soccer/roster/season/2021-22/
Roster updated.
3 players I was not familiar with. Beata Olsson the Soph. transfer from hogtown.
Maria Alagoa a Fr MFer from Portugal. Emma Bissell a Fr MFer from the UK.
Can't wait for some of you who are better at extricating good info on these kids from the internet.

This should be another year where we push deep into the tourney!
Bissell was good the couple times that I saw her play against Chelsea in the Women Super League this year she played for a dreadful Bristol City team but is a Man City academy graduate so she is probably a solid addition. No idea about Alagoa though other than she has experience at the youth level with Portugal.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Bissell was good the couple times that I saw her play against Chelsea in the Women Super League this year she played for a dreadful Bristol City team but is a Man City academy graduate so she is probably a solid addition. No idea about Alagoa though other than she has experience at the youth level with Portugal.
Thanks And we also know that Olsson had some very good success at Florida in her brief tenure there.

Reactions: squiffynole

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Received a letter from the Boosters this week seeking a contribution to help fund new scoreboards for soccer and softball. "With a successful campaign, FSU Athletics and Seminole Boosters will be able to install state-of-the-art video scoreboards in the coming year." I don't know how long it takes to purchase and install the types of scoreboards envisioned, but I am guessing we are too late for this soccer season, but perhaps in time for the start of softball? Anyone have any further info on this?

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Received a letter from the Boosters this week seeking a contribution to help fund new scoreboards for soccer and softball. "With a successful campaign, FSU Athletics and Seminole Boosters will be able to install state-of-the-art video scoreboards in the coming year." I don't know how long it takes to purchase and install the types of scoreboards envisioned, but I am guessing we are too late for this soccer season, but perhaps in time for the start of softball? Anyone have any further info on this?
Received the letter and a call too, I'm very glad the Boosters are working on new boards for soccer and softball! Last spring I received a call from Greg Hulen about the campaign who sent a pamphlet but then he left for another job.

sW5eky2.jpg

CxVEul1.jpg

Btw, do I understand correctly that reserving a seat under one of the shade tents is available but otherwise there will not be an admission fee this year? Maybe I read the email wrong, think I will forego the tent seating this time.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
So here are the questions I have.
1. Who among the transfers and newcomers will get playing time?
2. Which one(s) will start?
3. As a very highly rated GKer (Justus) is here, will Mark break his tradition or history of sticking with one GKer?
Will he play both like Anson has done at times?
4. The following starters are safe IMO.
Roque, Madril, Carle, ?Pavlisko?,
Howell
Last year he enjoyed starting Nesbeth and Robbins and bringing Zhao/Nighswonger off the bench.
Kmac is gone.
5. Is Flynn safe as a starter in the CB?
6. What about Zipay, Iwai, Lynch out wide?
Does Mark find a way to capitalize on Brown's pace? Is Horton or Olsson good enough to take a spot?
Is Stadeker good enough to challenge Flynn?
How about Payne, whom I love because she's very creative and dangerous.
What about Bissell or Alagoa?
The numbers of talented bodies is staggering!
How do they come together and then do they peak at tourney time?
The ND game is now less than 2 weeks away. We'll begin to get some answers.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
As you can tell, I'm excited for the soccer season to begin.
Another way to look at our depth is this.
16 players from last year's team return WHO played significantly.
Roque, Pavlisko, Flynn, Gold medal winning Carle, Howell, Lynch,
Zipay, Iwai, Nighswonger, Brown, Nesbeth, Zhao, Payne, Madril,
Mitchell and Robbins! The ones in bold are seniors or RS Srs who
are expected to leave. I suppose it's possible a couple of the true seniors
could come back. Does this apply in soccer the way it does in other sports?
Now add Justus (GK), Olsson (MF), Morgan (F), Alagoa (MF),
Curtis (F), Bissell (MF), Stadeker (D). Horton (F), Hjorth (D)
I have not seen much if any of the newcomers.
Based on TDS ratings (Not the best, but 'any port in a storm') Justus, Horton and
Stadeker are most highly rated. Olsson (Sweden) proved it at UF.
I don't know enough about the other internationals in Alagoa (Portugal) and
Bissell (UK).
If I had to guess, I'd say Mark plays these newcomers.
Olsson, Horton, Stadeker, Bissell and Justus.
I think MK would have a hard time keeping Justus (top rated freshman GKer) per ratings,
if he plans to redshirt her. Same goes for Horton, Bissell and maybe Alagoa!

Now what are preseason practices revealing. How far off am I?
Anyone seen preseason practices?
Who takes a step forward after previous injuries? Robbins, Nesbeth and Lynch are 6 months past
the last season and 6 months further past the injury.

Last edited:

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
As you can tell, I'm excited for the soccer season to begin.
Another way to look at our depth is this.
16 players from last year's team return WHO played significantly.
Roque, Pavlisko, Flynn, Gold medal winning Carle, Howell, Lynch,
Zipay, Iwai, Nighswonger, Brown, Nesbeth, Zhao, Payne, Madril,
Mitchell and Robbins! The ones in bold are seniors or RS Srs who
are expected to leave. I suppose it's possible a couple of the true seniors
could come back. Does this apply in soccer the way it does in other sports?
Now add Justus (GK), Olsson (MF), Morgan (F), Alagoa (MF),
Curtis (F), Bissell (MF), Stadeker (D). Horton (F), Hjorth (D)
I have not seen much if any of the newcomers.
Based on TDS ratings (Not the best, but 'any port in a storm') Justus, Horton and
Stadeker are most highly rated. Olsson (Sweden) proved it at UF.
I don't know enough about the other internationals in Alagoa (Portugal) and
Bissell (UK).
If I had to guess, I'd say Mark plays these newcomers.
Olsson, Horton, Stadeker, Bissell and Justus.
I think MK would have a hard time keeping Justus (top rated freshman GKer) per ratings,
if he plans to redshirt her. Same goes for Horton, Bissell and maybe Alagoa!

Now what are preseason practices revealing. How far off am I?
Anyone seen preseason practices?
Who takes a step forward after previous injuries? Robbins, Nesbeth and Lynch are 6 months past
the last season and 6 months further past the injury.
Maybe we can mount a hidden webcam with a view of the field on the parking garage? (just kidding...)

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'd love to see a more aggressive style of attack this season - the quality of the mid-fielders has never been better and we seem to have two great scoring talents in Jody Brown and Betta Olson.
I absolutely agree with the more aggressive style of attack comment.
I guess I'm not sure how Jody Brown fits in Mark's more deliberate style of attack. I think
she would prosper in a more direct style with lots of quick counters.
I guess we'll see.
I'm anxious to see who takes KMac's place and who starts and who gets how many minutes.

Last edited:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Seminoles.com has our schedule up. Both the Tex A&M and Alabama games are listed as being on ACCNX.
The problem is that when I go on ESPN Watch and check the scheduled games, neither game is listed.
Anyone have an idea?
Other teams are playing scrimmages and I hear nothing but crickets from FSU.
Anyone know anything?

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
This site normally provides a link for games on ACCNX:

https://seminoles.com/sports/soccer/schedule/season/2021-22/
I didn't make myself clear.
That is the site where I check for schedules, occasional articles and TV coverage.
They list this as an ACCNX game.
My point was that I have Youtube TV. I go to the ESPN watch section for upcoming games and neither the FSU/A&M or FSU/Alabama game are listed under their coverage which includes ACCNX.

Reactions: squiffynole

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
I didn't make myself clear.
That is the site where I check for schedules, occasional articles and TV coverage.
They list this as an ACCNX game.
My point was that I have Youtube TV. I go to the ESPN watch section for upcoming games and neither the FSU/A&M or FSU/Alabama game are listed under their coverage which includes ACCNX.
I also see that neither game is listed on ESPN app hopefully they will pop up.

While our group is in stealth mode and looking at a rainy week Texas A&M is playing a second exhibition game tonight. I notice their defender Karlina Sample is an All American, the Aggies are starting off at #9 the highest ranking in the SEC so they will be a serious test.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Yes. I check everyday and it just showed up today! Thanks.
The Alabama game showed up today also.
Neither were listed yesterday.
Can't wait to get a look at this team.
With all the newcomers and hopefully healthier returnees, I'll have to rewatch
to get a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.