Women's Soccer

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
FSU just got their first (known) commitment for the 2023 class.
M Maggie Taitano, San Diego Surf U17 - Taitano is such a joy to watch. She moves so well without the ball that it feels like she is always open for her teammates. She is simple with her touches, but it facilitates so much for the success of her team. She can play in tight spaces and will be an immediate difference-maker at a top five program at the next level. This Surf team is loaded with talent, but winger Emma Pidding also deserves a special mention for her play in Phoenix.

The writeup is from TDS after a recent event. She is ranked #5 on the 2023 IMG top 150. It's been a long time since we've gotten a top 5 kid. Hoping the rankings are correct for her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'm dying for some info about who?Whom? Mark is going to replace MB with.
On another site, it was revealed that FSU will not play official games this spring, just
scrimmages/exhibitions.
We play at UF on Saturday March 6 at 3 pm. Pulled this from Gatorzone.com.
Don't know their attendance policy. I live in Central Florida, so if possible, I'll go.
Anyone else here going let me know. I'd love to meet you in person.

Reactions: squiffynole

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Gianna Mitchell is a strange transfer. I looked at a few box scores and it appeared she was a substitute, not a starter.
I find it hard to imagine a substitute from BC can help us, but what do I know?
BTW, the newly arrived freshmen cannot compete this spring per the NCAA.
They may be allowed to participate in scrimmages and exhibitions.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
It's strange that they left Berkely up on the roster. She has already signed with the French club les Girandins

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
Casey Short (now Krueger), too.

She has gotten royally screwed these last few years, she is better than Sonnett by miles, better than Kreiger, better than any outside back not named Dunn or Ohara. I think the national team has had some strong veteran personalities and if you didn't fit in, no matter the skill, you didn't make the squad.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
Gianna Mitchell is a strange transfer. I looked at a few box scores and it appeared she was a substitute, not a starter.
I find it hard to imagine a substitute from BC can help us, but what do I know?
BTW, the newly arrived freshmen cannot compete this spring per the NCAA.
They may be allowed to participate in scrimmages and exhibitions.

I remember Mitchell from when we played BC, she is big and powerful and not slow.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I've only watched the 1st half, but Casey Short Krueger needs to make the Olympic team.
She has looked very good.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I finally watched the 2nd half and Jaelin played 30 minutes and looked right at home.
She will have a long career, health permitting, with the USWNT.
Since the Olympics only allows 18, I think it's highly unlikely she makes the team.
I don't speak with any inside knowledge, but I'm hopeful JH will be here for the spring, but
skeptical she'll be back next year. JMHO.
Just checked Orlando Pride's spring preseason schedule.
They are at FSU March 13 and FSU is at Orlando April 3rd.
Add to that previously known scrimmage at UF March 6th.

Last edited:

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Tom,

I’m not sure if she is still on our team, but another Seminole appears to have improved her stock at the SBC. Gabby Carle was a sub against us but then played the full ninety in both of Canada’s remaining games. My view was she looked very good, but Canada was missing several players, so it remains to be seen if she can stick with the smaller roster. Like Casey and Jaelin, her future appears good after the Olympics.

Reactions: NoleLizards

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Anyone on her planning to go to Hogtown for the March 6th scrimmage/exhibition?
I was planning on going, but a family event will prevent that.
I would dearly love some in-person intel on the team w/o MB.
Also, does anyone here know if the scrimmage against the Orlando Pride on 3/13 in Tally will allow fans?
I would seriously make that trip if I knew it was open to the public.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I may go up to the exhibition next Saturday at FSU IF I can find out the time and IF I have reasonable expectation to be able to go in and walk.

Reactions: Crazyhorse20

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
There is a writeup on gatorzone.com. All I gathered was the 3 30 minute periods and we outshot them 15-2. I did see one picture that included Pavlisko and Nighswonger. I didn't see any stats otherwise. No boxscore.
That's why I wanted to go. I wanted to see who played and how much. I wanted to see if the transfer from BC played and who was in MB's place.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
I was able to spy the first half in person of today's scrimmage against the Orlando Pride. The Pride played their starters and we held more then our own. I was impressed. We did give up a goal on a corner, our Achilles heel of late.

Crazyhorse20

Seminole Insider
May 13, 2018
Great find Tom! They tackled Nighswonger in the box. I am not sure who played in MBs place, but Carle and Pav were our starting outside backs. Jenna looked great as did Jaelin.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
In the highlights I saw 21 (Mitchell the transfer from BC in there during our goal celebration).
It did show a couple of real athletic saves by Roque in the highlights.
I didn't realize Alex Morgan was as big as she looked in the highlights.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
UNC certainly gets a boost IF they allow attendance.
On second thought, they get a boost even if there is no attendance.
Being able to sleep in their beds and attend classes as needed is huge.
They sleep in the same beds as normal and eat at the same places.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'm still waiting to find out who stepped into MB's CB role.
In the above highlights from the first Orlando Pride scrimmage,
at the end, it looked like Lauren Flynn MAY have been in the CB.
It was inconclusive.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
FSU played played FC Louisville from NWSL ?yesterday?.
Couldn't get any info.
Here is a video of clips with no commentary from the game.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I saw further evidence in the clips above that Lauren Flynn is in MB's CB.
Still not 100% conclusive, but it looks likely.

Reactions: ranger43

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
A poster on the FSU soccer Facebook page mentioned we played the Louisville NWSL team to a 1-1 tie, but don't know if that was the Wednesday or Sunday match.
Between playing the Louisville NWSL team and the Orlando Pride twice each, we should be match ready come tournament time.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
A poster on Bigsoccer just posted that we beat the Pride 2-1.
He gave no details, so I'm guessing they didn't play their starting 11.
Regardless, they are all pros, so that has to be a good win.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
This is all I could get from my search and it's all from the Pride perspective with no detail about FSU.
Orlando Pride 1-2 Florida State University
The Pride went looking for a preseason sweep of Florida State but instead it was the Seminoles exacting revenge. Orlando had beaten the Noles 2-1 in Tallahassee back on March 13, and Marc Skinner started a strong lineup against FSU.

While it’s true that college sides are in season and Florida State has one of the better programs in the country, it’s a bit disappointing to see the Pride fail to score from the run of play with a lineup like that. The only Orlando goal in the 2-1 loss came from a Taylor Kornieck free kick. It was a scorcher.

“I’m just practicing doing low and hard shots,” Kornieck said. “In case of a deflection or anything, we’re all in there in the box, ready to go. You can expect a lot more of that.”

Florida State had scored just three minutes into the match and Kornieck’s equalizer came at the end of the first half. But the Seminoles scored the game winner in the 77th minute.

The Pride fell to 2-2-0 on the preseason and it’s not the best way to go into the NWSL Challenge Cup opener against Racing Louisville next Saturday, but hopefully Skinner’s troops will be ready to go when there is more at stake.

“Our mentality was to play this game like we are playing against Louisville,” Skinner said after the scrimmage. “Result aside today, I’m really, really happy with where we’re at, and I know we’re ready for Louisville next week.”

“It’s soccer, where sometimes the result just doesn’t go the way that you are,” midfielder Erika Tymrak said. “I’m one of those people, in preseason especially, that I would rather be happy with our performance than the score. Second half, we came out and we played. I was really happy with that and I think the team was too.”

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
“Our mentality was to play this game like we are playing against Louisville,” Skinner said after the scrimmage. “Result aside today, I’m really, really happy with where we’re at, and I know we’re ready for Louisville next week.”
It is clear that they weren't approaching this like a scrimmage. It would nice if there were a box score. Oh well, any port in a storm.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Mark has not been shy about saying this team is his deepest and most talented he's ever had here.
He also pointed out that he thought UCLA was the best team in 14 (We beat UVA for the natty, UVA beat UCLA).
He thought we were the best team in 15. We lost to Duke 2-0 in the Semis.
He thought Stanford was the best team in 18. We beat them and then UNC to win it.
Hope we can win the third one this year.
If so, I'm hoping that sustained success will give us another uptick in domestic recruiting.
Mark could be building a dynasty here.
At this moment Stanford and FSU are the two most dominant teams with UNC just a tick behind.
Go Noles!

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
FYI, my wife and I are coming up from central Fl to the spring game.
Any of you Soccer followers going to be there?
I wouldn't mind putting a face to a username if you know what I mean?
If not, it's all good.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
We have a 2022 commit that I have mentioned before, Olivia Smith.
She is the youngest player to ever receive a call-up to the full Canadian NT.
When I watch her highlights and read/listen to the interviews I think Deyna Castellanos meets
Kristen McFarland. The skill and creativity of Deyna and the drive, heart and physicality of KMac.
Here are a couple of highlights and or commentaries. Enjoy.
This is an interview. A little over halfway she talks about her path including University and being committed to FSU.
2019 highlights
A recent article with several highlights and commentary.
This girl is the real deal!

Reactions: NoleFreak85

seminoleed

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Dacula, GA
We have a 2022 commit that I have mentioned before, Olivia Smith.
She is the youngest player to ever receive a call-up to the full Canadian NT.
When I watch her highlights and read/listen to the interviews I think Deyna Castellanos meets
Kristen McFarland. The skill and creativity of Deyna and the drive, heart and physicality of KMac.
Here are a couple of highlights and or commentaries. Enjoy.

This is an interview. A little over halfway she talks about her path including University and being committed to FSU.

2019 highlights
A recent article with several highlights and commentary.
This girl is the real deal!

Jeebus! I don't know how much the quality of her opponents was in that video, but the girl has blazing speed. Uses both feet and can be physical if necessary. And I wouldn't want to be the keeper who puts hands on some those rockets that she would call shots.

Latest posts