Women's Soccer

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'm no expert, but starting the 2nd half we played a 3 back line and had Madril up top on the left.
Later on she was back in the middle back.
We need more of Nighswonger against these bunkering teams.

Reactions: squiffynole

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I never understand how a team can think they can win when they take 0 shots. Bunker in philosophy is archaic at best.
The goal is catch the other team on a quick counter attack usually with a ball over the top.
Mark had to use this strategy against UNC early in his tenure here. It occasionally works.

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
The goal is catch the other team on a quick counter attach usually with a ball over the top.
Mark had to use this strategy against UNC early in his tenure here. It occasionally works.
I actually do get it philosophically. But, IMO, it's no way to develop a program or give players confidence. Better off getting on your knee at half in the middle of the field and praying to the soccer gods!!!! Imagine the recruiting.......look come here and play and we will bunker in (like a scared turtle) every time we face a challenging team.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
The goal is catch the other team on a quick counter attack usually with a ball over the top.
Yep. I was at a game in Chapel Hill when we caught them flat footed with a long ball to pull out a rare (back then) tie on their home pitch. Local guy next to me sniffed that the play “wasn’t real soccer“.
I sometimes wonder what that cat thinks about FSU vs. UNC now.
I actually do get it philosophically. But, IMO, it's no way to develop a program or give players confidence. Better off getting on your knee at half in the middle of the field and praying to the soccer gods!!!! Imagine the recruiting.......look come here and play and we will bunker in (like a scared turtle) every time we face a challenging team.
Milwaukee knew coming in that they lacked the fire power to go toe to toe. I credit them for a sold match against the number 1 National seed.
They are a very solid mid major squad with multiple conference titles.

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
Yep. I was at a game in Chapel Hill when we caught them flat footed with a long ball to pull out a rare (back then) tie on their home pitch. Local guy next to me sniffed that the play “wasn’t real soccer“.
I sometimes wonder what that cat thinks about FSU vs. UNC now.

Milwaukee knew coming in that they lacked the fire power to go toe to toe. I credit them for a sold match against the number 1 National seed.
They are a very solid mid major squad with multiple conference titles.

0 shots...................0 corners.................next year's team would be better if they played and learned.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
0 shots...................0 corners.................next year's team would be better if they played and learned.
FSU flat out stuffed them, tho trying to attack from your own half seems pointless against a strong squad.

Reactions: fsufool

DoubleNole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
I don’t like them bunkering either but if they hadn’t, the score might have been 6-0.

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
I don’t like them bunkering either but if they hadn’t, the score might have been 6-0.
My point is a 6-0 score provides 2 things. It lets you know where you are as a program and it provides players the chance to improve. Loads of data suggests that competing against better players is a huge part of development. Playing or practicing with/against better athletes can actually speed up development significantly. Bunkering in curtails that and is a lost opportunity I believe. A team that gets beat 6-0 can use that as motivation to make sure it doesn't happen again. Maybe next time they play the #1 team they only lose 3-0, like they lost yesterday, except they played to win, challenging the other team.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
As Bilanole pointed out, MK has done the same thing in the past.
Some of Mark's best coaching jobs were in his early years.
He took us deeper into the NCAA than we had any business going.
I remember (even as a newer fan) thinking this winger here or some other player
just didn't have the ball skills and confidence to attack. They would always pass it back rather than venture forward. Last year after the injuries to Lynch and the departure of Villalobos, we were left with a very weak left side. Playing Heather (a good attacking player) in the CB didn't go well.
We almost always bunkered against UNC in the early years, and beating UVA with their superior possession and skill players was just as hard.
Milwaukee, like us in the early years, doesn't bunker against most teams. They can look at a recruit and say, "You are the missing puzzle piece to our being a great team and not Needing to bunker."
I'm sure Mark sold that!
I want to say around 2008 is when our roster began to be able to compete w/UNC w/o bunkering. We brought in a freshman class including Tori Huster, Casey Short, Toni Pressley and Tiffany McCarty.
To this day, that was the best domestic class of freshmen we ever brought in.
Fast forward to today and if FSU wins the Natty, I am hopeful our domestic recruiting ticks up while selectively taking internationals. If so, we may begin a mini-dynasty. JMHO

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I always remember a home game against Miami two or three years ago - the Canes stayed back on defense and did not have a single shot on goal until the winner in overtime.
That was the 2018 (natty year) regular season finale at Miami.
We lost in OT on a cross to a header for the goal.
We had a 25-1 shot advantage and 11-0 corner kick advantage.
Soccer can be cruel. Rice beat WVU yesterday in a similar fashion.

Reactions: runningnole

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
I always remember a home game against Miami two or three years ago - the Canes stayed back on defense and did not have a single shot on goal until the winner in overtime.
Yessir. The entire game can come down to that last %@$& second of possession, bit of skill, point of view by the official, bag of luck, precision by the clock keeper, etc...
A team can tee totally dominate all aspects of the run of play or completely bunker and produce no meaningful stats. The only stat that truly matters is the scoreboard once the clock stops.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
As an aside, it was refreshing to see FSU with mostly clean possessions yesterday. The passing was typically crisp as were the receipts. Turnovers were at a minimum, granting that Milwaukee seldom pressed or challenged possession.

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Team Totals look good -

TEAMShotsSOGSavesFoulsCornersOffSides
PS225200
FSU1861350

And I notice Gianna Mitchell (transfer from Boston College) had 10 minutes playing midfield, she had 20 against Milwaukee which appears to be her first appearance for the Noles.

Gianna-Mitchell-768x960.jpg

Reactions: runningnole

squiffynole

Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Giving up the first goal was a bit of a shock otherwise the Noles were dominate. Next up - Duke Sunday at 1. It will be a big challenge - FSU edged them at home six months ago 1 - 0 on a last minute goal. Although FSU did much better in the ACC tournament beating Duke 4 - 0.

Last edited:

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005

fsufool

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
New Hampshire
www.shaferfinancial.com
That was as bad of a butt kicking as I have seen a quality team absorb.
Penn State was a very solid club. Elite CB and a really good goalie. Some offensive fire power too. If not for a slip and some sloppy shooting could have been 6-0. Even when we were behind, did anyone feel like we were going to lose? I sure didn't. Don't know what the time of possession was, but it was just a dominating performance over a really good squad. Hope we can keep that up.