ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer

Will have a story from practice up soon. Flynn is a lock at CB. Payne could be a good option and an obvious fit. FSU used Jody Brown a few times at outside back under Krikorian. I think her speed and ability to support the attack from the wing potentially makes her a good fit for LB or RB. Pensky mentioned they are experimenting with a potential 3-back and 4-back system.

Slide 2 of 2 - Carousel

Good luck to Emily!
Very disappointing to read about how they consistently ignored the players' questions, feedback and requests.

Not saying Brian was a bad hire, or the wrong hire. Just saying that this gives me a glimpse into why Mark had such distrust and lack of respect for Mr. Alford!

I love the Link hire and am hopeful, the Pensky hire will be successful. It is possible to show integrity and and open door and make the right hire! You don't have to be dishonest to do it!

https://twitter.com/home

After reading this article you have to wonder if this administration can be trusted. NOT a Leader but a boss, his way or NO way. IMO a boss will fail and a LEADER will succeed and strive.

At the very least, you communicate with them. You don't have to adopt all or any of their ideas, but you let them know you have heard them and that you respect their passion for FSU.

Reactions: FLSnole
I coach high level soccer and have had multiple all Americans. In this case, yes you should have the current team come in and hear them out. What they’re looking for, strengths that they want in a coach. But I’ve never heard current players requesting the school to interview certain candidates. Nor have they sat in on any interviews or gotten a shortlist. There is a conflict of interest if you have current student athletes sitting on a committee.

Emily was an amazing player and will have a bright career ahead, but it’s absurd of her to think players should have a strong say in the hiring of the next coach. Especially a player with only one year of eligibility.

It also seems bush league to release this right before the start of the season, rather than months ago when it actually happened.

Exactly and to say members on the team agree with her and feel the same is a big way to lose the team from the new coaches perspective. It was a low blow.
But Alford did promise that they would have input, and from her perspective clearly they did not. Her comments were well stated and glad to see her assert her position.

Based upon her comments that with each request that was made, there was a flat no with no alternative option in response. If they didn’t want current players on the hiring committee, then at least come back with options to get them involved in some way. This was their program and were cut out completely. They could have also included recent grads in the process Emily and others have had many years of being part of the most elite program in the country. How would their perspective not be valuable to leverage in some way during this process? The buy-in that those players would have had would have been incredible if handled the right way. Instead we alienate one of the best.
If all was accurately stated, Alford didn’t do Pensky any favors. The fact that he’s been able to get the team behind him as reported is a great sign. Hopefully that will continue through the rough times.
I was looking forward to see Emily in that alpha role this year and very disappointed that she won’t be there. Wishing her well as a pro. Instead it will be fun to see who steps up from a leadership perspective and those that fill some of the open roles. Go Noles!

Reactions: daveynole
I get what you’re saying but truth is , this isn’t their program. This is Florida State. There’s a new recruiting class every season. To have current players say “oh we don’t like this person” is unheard of. To have current players say who they want to coach them is unheard of. We hear one side of it right now, but to think the AD just ignored players on the top team in the country is questionable. As a poster above said, why wait till now? Where was the shock in the hire months ago? The fact this post was done and the way it was done a few weeks before opening day makes me think this is a smear campaign. Whatever it takes to make the AD and coach look bad. I could also be bias. But this is just my opinion

I get what you’re saying but truth is , this isn’t their program. This is Florida State. There’s a new recruiting class every season. To have current players say “oh we don’t like this person” is unheard of. To have current players say who they want to coach them is unheard of. We hear one side of it right now, but to think the AD just ignored players on the top team in the country is questionable. As a poster above said, why wait till now? Where was the shock in the hire months ago? The fact this post was done and the way it was done a few weeks before opening day makes me think this is a smear campaign. Whatever it takes to make the AD and coach look bad. I could also be bias. But this is just my opinion
I hear your point, however I didn’t interpret her comments to mean that she wanted to pick the coach. She gave several examples of where they wanted to have input, which Alford apparently offered to them. The most disturbing part to me was that the team was not given alternative options to participate. Such as “no, it would be inappropriate for you to be on the selection committee, however let’s have team leaders speak to is about what made this an elite program”. With so many 4+ year players from an elite team returning, seemed like they should be relied upon for input If you have a program that focuses on developing leadership on the field, then those leaders should also be empowered to speak up when they view something detrimental to the program they helped to create. I thought her comments were well written and laid out the actions she disagreed with. The timing was tied to her officially turning pro. I don’t see her note impacting the team since they already knew this anyway.

She could have turned pro months ago before the season started. Why wait until 2 weeks before her NCAA season was to start? Or why wait until the NWSL is halfway through their season to declare she’s going pro? Wouldn’t it have been more beneficial to her to declare a lot earlier so she could get paid quicker? I also find it very hard to believe that no leaders on this team were spoken to by Alford before the hire. Again, neither of us know what happened behind closed doors. I’m going off of what I know happens behind college hires.

My opinion on the matter which is just assumption is that she and maybe others wanted an assistant coach that they were comfortable to take over. However Alford and perhaps others decided to go the other route.

Teams are starting exhibition games this week as I’m on the road to one now. The whole “admin didn’t take our feelings into account” thing just seems off to me after the new coach was in place for a while now.

Reactions: fsufool and goldmom
Do we allow any student athlete to help choose the next coach or select a committee with the players involved in the hiring process?
Did the football team sit in on interviews with Norvell?
Did the baseball team vote for Link Jarrett or were there phone calls from Alford to team members seeking their guidance?
“Not unheard of”? I’m admittedly not up on how women’s programs are run, but just thinking that they should or might be treated differently is sort of amazing to me.
If this was so huge I would think there would have been additional blowback and it wouldn’t have taken this long to happen.
I hope she does well and succeeds at the next level. Best wishes to her.

Last edited:
Did the baseball team vote for Link Jarrett or were there phone calls from Alford to team members seeking their guidance?
“Not unheard of”? I’m admittedly not up on how women’s programs are run, but just thinking that they should or might be treated differently is sort of amazing to me.
If this was so huge I would think there would have been additional blowback and it wouldn’t have taken this long to happen.
Most of us feel the same. Sour Grapes make poor wine- or in this case whine.

Agree. That was the point of my question. I loved Coach K and was sorry to lose him, but time to move on. Madrill hasn't been listed on the official roster for several months because she let the team know of her intentions, so why post this now? It only really serves one purpose, to discredit our AD and program.
I am grateful for her contributions to our program and championship and wish her well in her future endeavors, but not a fan of her farewell post.

Last edited:
Wow. Surprised at all the negative comments towards someone that you were happy to cheer on for 5 years. I guess she should have remembered that she is only empowered to be tough and strong on the field but off the field she must stand down and keep opinions to herself, especially if it is remotely negative to FSU.

Reactions: Tom81
Wow. Surprised at all the negative comments towards someone that you were happy to cheer on for 5 years. I guess she should have remembered that she is only empowered to be tough and strong on the field but off the field she must stand down and keep opinions to herself, especially if it is remotely negative to FSU.
Well I for one wished her nothing but success, but then again I’m also a woman.

This is 2022 and women can’t expect to be treated the same across the board and then not be tough skinned like the guys.
What IS interesting is that there was some inference that soccer is different - but the man has a job to do what is best for FSU Athletics. He’s hitting a reset button that hasn’t been touched since about 1980.
Things are NOT going to be done the old way. They cannot.
FSU is so lucky. The athletes seem to really like their coaches. MK was one of them.
He left. That’s the bottom line.
Part of growing up is knowing you will have bosses who come and go.

What negative comments? I thought everyone’s comments were professional and respectful. No one said she shouldn’t voice her opinion but I think people were more upset at the matter and timing she did so. It’s ok to root for someone and be disappointed when you think they did something wrong.

I wonder what the reaction would be around here if the same thing happened to Bobby after winning a Natty?
Yea I don’t get this comparison either. He was offered a raise but it wasn’t what he thought was fair. So he left. The school didn’t fire him. This situation has nothing to do with Krikorian. It has to do with his successor.

Krikorian is now off to the NWSL. He left college for the pros (which happens). However he isn’t having the season he probably thought. In 15 games, the Washington Spirit have 1 win.

She is no longer a FSU athlete. Why should her decision to deride a FSU AD and by inference the coach be protected. She made a deliberate public attack, and we are reacting to that.

I disagree with the characterization of her making an attack.
It's more like a 'witness statement' after a motor vehicle accident.
She/They were lead to believe they would be kept informed at least and that
an open door was there.
It didn't play out that way.

I am very hopeful that Brian Pensky works out. He seems like a genuinely nice guy and
his resume' suggests he's a good coach. Maybe with our material he can take the next step.

Before the choice was made I was lobbying for Mike Bristol. He was a long time assistant on the best program in America. Given the fact that MA went for Brooke Wyckoff for the bball opening, it seemed like a no-brainer to go for Mike Bristol.
Brooke came from a decent from but not great program that was trending down.
Mike came from a great program that was trending up.
Oh well, maybe I'm entitled brat for having an opinion.

an open door was there.

I am very hopeful that Brian Pensky works out. He seems like a genuinely nice guy and
his resume' suggests he's a good coach. Maybe with our material he can take the next step.

Before the choice was made I was lobbying for Mike Bristol. He was a long time assistant on the best program in America. Given the fact that MA went for Brooke Wyckoff for the bball opening, it seemed like a no-brainer to go for Mike Bristol.
You’re comparing a middle of the road basketball program vs the premier women’s soccer program in the country. Bristol, while having an impressive resume especially with goalkeepers has zero college head coaching experience. I think administration wanted someone to take over who had had success at the NCAA level as a head coach. Just cause Bristol was a long time assistant and someone who the team clearly loves, doesn’t make him the best choice unfortunately.

Additionally , I don’t think anyone is attacking her for her opinion. So idk where you came up with the term “entitled brat”. We are more upset over the timing of the post as well as the language used.

You’re comparing a middle of the road basketball program vs the premier women’s soccer program in the country. Bristol, while having an impressive resume especially with goalkeepers has zero college head coaching experience. I think administration wanted someone to take over who had had success at the NCAA level as a head coach. Just cause Bristol was a long time assistant and someone who the team clearly loves, doesn’t make him the best choice unfortunately.
Hubert Davis at UNC, Jon Scheyer at Duke say hello!
Premier programs can promote within. Had they done that, we would not have lost Zhao, Madril or Olivia Smith.
We would be pre season favorites. Despite the polls, we are about 4th in the ACC based on returners and incoming recruits.
Premier programs can hire from within.
Middle of the road programs should hire from without.

Well said.

Reactions: goldmom
Hubert Davis at UNC, Jon Scheyer at Duke say hello!
Premier programs can promote within. Had they done that, we would not have lost Zhao, Madril or Olivia Smith.
We would be pre season favorites. Despite the polls, we are about 4th in the ACC based on returners and incoming recruits.
Premier programs can hire from within.
Middle of the road programs should hire from without.
You’re unhappy with the situation- and your viewpoint is of course welcome.
As are all the views expressed.
I hope the team does exceptionally well this season.

Had they done that, we would not have lost Zhao, Madril or Olivia Smith.
You are usually a great poster. But, unless you personally are involved with those three girls, you have no clue what they would have done. That kind of speculation is not particularly useful. Madril did indeed attack a program months after the fact whether you admit it or not. She could have just moved on and/or kept her misgivings private and off social media. She chose to go another way.

Reactions: Jupiter Nole
You are usually a great poster. But, unless you personally are involved with those three girls, you have no clue what they would have done. That kind of speculation is not particularly useful. Madril did indeed attack a program months after the fact whether you admit it or not. She could have just moved on and/or kept her misgivings private and off social media. She chose to go another way.
The deed is done. Mark left in a poor way for reasons not totally known.
We have a new coach. I will 100% pull for him and the remaining young women and the new ones.

That said, of course I know, and you would too if you simply looked at the facts.
Robbins, Madril, Zhao all graduated, but chose not to be presented on senior night. They did not declare for the draft! It was reported elsewhere that they were planning to come back. Short of a signed affidavit, that is proof.
Olivia Smith signed with us and only went into the portal and left after Mark's resignation.
So yes I have a clue what they would have done!

Unless they had some super secret plan to A) not be presented and honored at Senior night in front of fans and with family present. B) Not declare for the draft so they could C) Leave after the draft and the NWSL season is well under way! Clever plan. Cut out their draft prospects and not make money this first season. Wow!

She didn't attack the program. She cast the administration in an accurate light from her "naive" perspective. Of course she has been crucified for it.

The deed is done. Mark left in a poor way for reasons not totally known.
We have a new coach. I will 100% pull for him and the remaining young women and the new ones.

That said, of course I know, and you would too if you simply looked at the facts.
Robbins, Madril, Zhao all graduated, but chose not to be presented on senior night. They did not declare for the draft! It was reported elsewhere that they were planning to come back. Short of a signed affidavit, that is proof.
Olivia Smith signed with us and only went into the portal and left after Mark's resignation.
So yes I have a clue what they would have done!

Unless they had some super secret plan to A) not be presented and honored at Senior night in front of fans and with family present. B) Not declare for the draft so they could C) Leave after the draft and the NWSL season is well under way! Clever plan. Cut out their draft prospects and not make money this first season. Wow!

She didn't attack the program. She cast the administration in an accurate light from her "naive" perspective. Of course she has been crucified for it.
Maybe you’re Bristol or a family relative cause you’re getting super defensive right now but no one is attacking your thoughts. You don’t know that’s the candidate players wanted , you’re assuming that for whatever reason. Who is to say there isnt another candidate they wanted to interview. We can all sit here and make opinions but to say you know for a fact, is just making things up. You’re making assumptions about the team and coach without even us playing a game. And despite what you say, I bet you hope we have a down year so you can come back on here and say “I told you so”

Reactions: goldmom
an open door was there.

Would have been happy with the Bristol hire.

But I suspect the well had been irreversibly poisoned by the way MK left. His exit was so dramatic and “in your face” that MA was hesitant to hire someone who likely shared MK’s sentiment. Still, both assistants were urged by BP to stay, but declined.

Would have been perfect for MK to announce he would coach this year then retire. Bristol could have been named Coach in Waiting. Mark could have had a Coach K type of farewell tour.

Alas, it was not to be.

Last edited:
Maybe you’re Bristol or a family relative cause you’re getting super defensive right now but no one is attacking your thoughts. You don’t know that’s the candidate players wanted , you’re assuming that for whatever reason. Who is to say there isnt another candidate they wanted to interview. We can all sit here and make opinions but to say you know for a fact, is just making things up. You’re making assumptions about the team and coach without even us playing a game. And despite what you say, I bet you hope we have a down year so you can come back on here and say “I told you so”
You are like a dog with a bone.
Let me address your points 1 by 1.
Maybe you’re Bristol or a family relative cause you’re getting super defensive right now but no one is attacking your thoughts
I am not Bristol. I am not related to anyone currently or formerly in the soccer program or the administration.
That is a FACT!
I do get defensive when someone says "You have no clue what they would have done."
I have observational evidence which I presented above and you summarily ignored.
That is essentially calling me a moron or a liar IMO.
You don’t know that’s the candidate players wanted , you’re assuming that for whatever reason.
Do I know it because I've been told by the players? No. Since the words "know or fact" seem to be hanging you up, let me restate.
Based on empirical observation of players over the 17 year history of Mark's run, I have strong evidence to support my supposition. It's not an assumption out of thin air.
Who is to say there isnt another candidate they wanted to interview
You are right! Maybe there was another candidate. I believe strongly they would have supported Mike Bristol and the continuity of style they were used to. I believe strongly that Emily and Zhao would have come back with Mike. Not as sure about Olivia Smith.
And despite what you say, I bet you hope we have a down year so you can come back on here and say “I told you so”
So now I'm a liar! I don't lie! That's a fact! I am passionate and love my Seminoles! I will support Brian Pensky, but even moreso the women in the upcoming season(s). Brian did not cause this. He has come in and done a fine job, as far as I can tell, in giving extraordinary credit to Mark and his staff, while simultaneously trying to move the program forward with his stamp added to it.
I have absolutely no problem with him.
The fact that I wanted Mike Bristol has been outlined, but it doesn't follow that I will not support Brian and the program.. You sir are the one making assumptions without knowing me.
I raised 4 daughters and have 11 grandchildren.
I'm extremely sensitive to women's issues when it comes to being treated fairly.
How passionate am I? If I won the lottery, the first programs I'd donate 7 figures to, would be soccer (even with Brian) and softball.
Come back and ask me a question and I will answer with my opinion or facts if I have them. I will not lie!
I've done you the courtesy of not insinuating you are a liar. Do me the same courtesy!

Last edited:
Lauren Flynn and Mia Justus played the whole match I believe today against Ghana. A 3-0 win for
USU20WNT. I suspect they both may sit the next game. We'll see.
It will be interesting to see if Brian alternates the GKers in the regular season like Mark did.
It will also be interesting to see if he substitutes the back line. That was something Mark almost never did.
It took an injury, or absence of a player (national team duties) or a blowout for that to occur.

ADVERTISEMENT