Women's Softball

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Disclaimer: I give my opinions and they may be right, or they may be wrong. I do not seek
to hurt a player's feeling nor that of their parents. That said, I say it as I see it.
We have a great nucleus coming back.
The key to the season IMO is improved hitting (I anticipate this) and a 2nd stud pitcher on our staff to help KS.
Let's start with pitching.
We have KS coming back who turned into a top 10 pitcher in the nation IMO. She came into this past season as a good pitcher and left it a very good to almost great pitcher. She will be a RSJr.
D Watson (RSSr) has some times when she's very good, but more often than not her control and dependence upon the rise ball gets her in trouble. Thus the 2.62 era and 41 walks in 93 innings. In order to be that 2nd stud pitcher, she'll have to make a major improvement. Lonni seems to help all pitchers improve significantly, but I'm skeptical she'll be stud 2. Hope I'm wrong.
Emma Wilson (RSSo) only pitched 20.2 innings to a 2.27 era with 7 walks. Apparently Lonni thinks she has the potential to be a Jessica Burroughs kind of pitcher. Sure hope so, but the chances of her being stud 2 this coming year are minimal IMO. Give her one more year and hopefully we'll see JB part deux. May I be wrong on this one.
Brianna Enter and Jeya Prassad didn't pitch much. Not expecting much. Hope to be surprised.
Morgan Kendrick is a promising looking freshman from Fleming Island Fl. I'm definitely not expecting stud 2 out of a freshman.
IMO, it is very important we get a stud pitching transfer. Time will tell, but with the close call at the WCWS, there has to be a stud transfer out there wanting to be the missing piece for FSU.
OU just got a stud pitcher transfer. Why not us? We need Kylie Jo part deux.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
There is some conflicting info out there about Mason coming back. I'll assume she is as the Tally Mullet suggests she is.
Catcher- I expect a spirited battle between LoPreste, Edenfield and incoming freshman Katie Bright.
I think the hitting must be better than what we got out of the C position this year. We'll see how they handle pitchers, corral wayward pitches and throw out runners.
1B If Mason is back, I expect her to start there. Lonni seems very reluctant to sit veterans. I'm guessing Chloe Culp and maybe Belviy and or Harding compete here as well. Hitting should be better given more experience and a subpar year by Mason.
2B I expect Flaherty to start here and show a tick up in hitting. She simply needs to go to the Sidney Sherrill school of the strike zone to up her BA significantly. I'm guessing Saabye will look to back her up in the odd game, although Blankenship could also get a look here.
3B Sherrill is a fixture here and will absolutely remain so. Hopefully the hitting pressure is off and she can return to form there. I believe Hartley will back her up and hopefully Lonni will give all these backups some meaningful time.
SS I believe Muffley may start, but Blankenship may overtake her IMO and be an improvement defensively and offensively. Muffley makes some stunning plays, but also 'Muffs" some easy one, hence the 13 errors (too much).
I'm worried Lonni goes the seniority route out of loyalty instead of out of who wins the competition.
Outfield:
Mudge, Kerr and Harding as starters unless Harding moves to the infield.
Wacaser, Riggs, Belviy and Landers competing for playing time. Sure hope Lonni will give the backups some real playing time.
DP I'm anxious to get Culp's bat in the lineup, but any of the nonstarters could go here. Landers, Belviy, Wacaser, Riggs, Blankenship and Hartley.
Offensively we should be significantly improved IMO.
Sure hope so, because this year's version was poor at best.

In summary, I believe our team will be better at almost every position with the possible exception of pitcher.
Other than pitcher, I'll be anxious to see how well the new catcher fits in. Hopefully we get the stud transfer there or Emma or Danielle makes a huge step forward.
If we get a 2nd stud, then put WCWS on notice.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
There is some conflicting info out there about Mason coming back. I'll assume she is as the Tally Mullet suggests she is.
Catcher- I expect a spirited battle between LoPreste, Edenfield and incoming freshman Katie Bright.
I think the hitting must be better than what we got out of the C position this year. We'll see how they handle pitchers, corral wayward pitches and throw out runners.
1B If Mason is back, I expect her to start there. Lonni seems very reluctant to sit veterans. I'm guessing Chloe Culp and maybe Belviy and or Harding compete here as well. Hitting should be better given more experience and a subpar year by Mason.
2B I expect Flaherty to start here and show a tick up in hitting. She simply needs to go to the Sidney Sherrill school of the strike zone to up her BA significantly. I'm guessing Saabye will look to back her up in the odd game, although Blankenship could also get a look here.
3B Sherrill is a fixture here and will absolutely remain so. Hopefully the hitting pressure is off and she can return to form there. I believe Hartley will back her up and hopefully Lonni will give all these backups some meaningful time.
SS I believe Muffley may start, but Blankenship may overtake her IMO and be an improvement defensively and offensively. Muffley makes some stunning plays, but also 'Muffs" some easy one, hence the 13 errors (too much).
I'm worried Lonni goes the seniority route out of loyalty instead of out of who wins the competition.
Outfield:
Mudge, Kerr and Harding as starters unless Harding moves to the infield.
Wacaser, Riggs, Belviy and Landers competing for playing time. Sure hope Lonni will give the backups some real playing time.
DP I'm anxious to get Culp's bat in the lineup, but any of the nonstarters could go here. Landers, Belviy, Wacaser, Riggs, Blankenship and Hartley.
Offensively we should be significantly improved IMO.
Sure hope so, because this year's version was poor at best.

In summary, I believe our team will be better at almost every position with the possible exception of pitcher.
Other than pitcher, I'll be anxious to see how well the new catcher fits in. Hopefully we get the stud transfer there or Emma or Danielle makes a huge step forward.
If we get a 2nd stud, then put WCWS on notice.
I remain convinced we need 2 GT's. One arm to compete with KS and one basher to reinforce the middle of the lineup (who can compete for a position or just DP). I also have said repeatedly 3rd, 2nd and short will start out as is . If Muffley does not improve she may get passed by someone else. JMHO

Reactions: ranger43

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I remain convinced we need 2 GT's. One arm to compete with KS and one basher to reinforce the middle of the lineup (who can compete for a position or just DP). I also have said repeatedly 3rd, 2nd and short will start out as is . If Muffley does not improve she may get passed by someone else. JMHO
I don't necessarily disagree.
I just find it interesting that you aren't willing to replace Muffley who hit .196, yet you are asking for a basher to transfer in. Who is she going to replace?
Catcher? Outfielder? 1B?
We totally agree on the pitcher.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
I don't necessarily disagree.
I just find it interesting that you aren't willing to replace Muffley who hit .196, yet you are asking for a basher to transfer in. Who is she going to replace?
Catcher? Outfielder? 1B?
We totally agree on the pitcher.
She may not do anything but DP. I did not say I was not Ok on the Muffley deal- just that Coach will not do it until some else earns it by playing better and taking the job.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
nole2soul, 81 is my FSU grad year. Thanks for the nice words.

Reactions: nole2soul

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
With regard to Mason's intentions, rather than follow the Democrat (likely just going by eligibility), I am going by participation on Senior Day. Eligible or not, those that participate, have historically not come back. Mason did and won't be back unless there was something going on we don't know about. Or maybe she wants a Masters elsewhere. We shall see.

Reactions: ParooKid

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
With regard to Mason's intentions, rather than follow the Democrat (likely just going by eligibility), I am going by participation on Senior Day. Eligible or not, those that participate, have historically not come back. Mason did and won't be back unless there was something going on we don't know about. Or maybe she wants a Masters elsewhere. We shall see.
I concur. Do not see her coming back.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
@Tom81 and @townole Thanks for these updates. I am one of the weird FSU grads (1981) who like all our Teams to compete and compete well. I don't keep up with the recruiting like you guys do here for the ladies but enjoy reading your posts.
Thanks. 1971. Been here awhile. Coached Odell in High School. In fact there are a lot of players I coached in one sport or another. I coached Boston in Baseball , Nance in Basketball (he was a load in the paint). Coached a lot of Bartow girls in baseball when they were younger before they switched over. Did softball for about 10 years and then I retired from my real job. Have followed the Noles a long time. Used to ride Bobby around on recruiting trips and when he came to our football banquet (often with McEwen and or Buchalter in tow). Those were some interesting conversations. Love following softball. The players seem more genuine and caring and compete very hard. GO NOLES

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
All of the top recruits, and perhaps GT's, won't help unless we improve our hitting instruction.
I posted this already but thought I would repeat it just for grins.
"
I am going to make one more effort on this coaching thing and then give it up as a lost cause. Sherill came here with a good command of the Zone but it has gotten better ( I guess we just coached her ?)

Baseball and Softball hitting is two different animals ( Have taught both). One is about the ball coming down into the Zone and the other is about it coming from everywhere but often up. Snyder leaving and us going down in average MAY not be coincidental but I never make the mistake that correlation is causation. BY the way Texas A&M was not some hitting powerhouse. Take our transfer away and they were dismal.

Hitting is hitting and you just need to teach squaring the bat on the ball (coaches often speak of squaring it up). This is why you see softball players (either in the warm up circle or often when they step out before the next pitch) practice squaring the bat in the zone. I have said above that most of the players come to FSU with good mechanics (after all their success is why we recruited them in the first place).
The hitting coach must develop their vision to College speed and location. Repetition is the key -- the more you see what you should do to be successful-- the more you are --if you have the eye hand coordination to be successful (and all of ours are here because they do).

They must be trained to square up on the zone for the pitchers best pitches (Fastball, Rise, Screwball, Curve, and Change up) . Change ups are rarely swung at the first time they throw it because most pitchers have trouble getting it in the zone and they mainly throw it for effect-- if they throw it for strikes then you adjust.
I do believe (like most on here) that we did not adjust to the OK pitcher after the first loss. Coach says we gave out of gas (a euphuism for us just being tired- she used Shelnutt as an example).

I do think we were a tired team after having to play back to back to back (sometimes until 2am in the morning) and that did play a huge factor in my mind. We had less time to adjust and work on actual pitch location. Coach is advocating for more days (rain and rest days) to get the Tournament in and that would be good in my mind. JMHO
Experience matters ( it does matter in my mind that when we had Warren, Casas, Gordon and Harrod we had a ton of hitting and experience) and we will have some battle tested players get better next year and some of the new blood will contribute significantly in my mind.
If we don't improve then it might be time to go a different way.

We will see - last post on this subject. It has wore me down.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Assuming Mason doesn't come back (that seems to be the consensus here), that allows one of Belviy, Harding, Culp and ??? to play 1B. That is one less player to compete for DH role.
We are going to have a lot of highly ranked players on the bench as it is.
That is my concern with townoles stud hitter transfer thought. If she's a good enough hitter, I'll take it, but I'm sure the repercussion will be a transfer or two.
I happen to believe next year's hitting will be much better.
If we get that 2nd stud pitcher (internal or external), we'll push for another WCWS.

I just hope the 1B adapts as well as Mason did.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Roster numbers/attrition? This year we had 25 on the roster due to players coming back. Coacha seems to like a roster of 22 (2018, 2019 and 2020 rosters).

In doing the math, we lost 4 seniors(Mason, Morgan, Shelnutt, and Davis). That takes us down to 21 but we have 5 coming in for a net total of 26 (one more than this year). Generally, we have a player or two leave at the end of the season.

How many leave this year and does anyone want to speculate who? Also, don’t forget, if we pick up a major pitcher from the portal, and perhaps a big hitter as has been suggested, that moves us from 26 to 28. No way I see us with a bigger roster than this year ( which means 3 have to go). Point being, I think we will see soon by the number of departures, how many transfers Coacha is hoping to bring in.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I agree with townole re: at least one, maybe two transfers in.
A stud pitcher for sure.
As to departures, I know of no specifics, but I'm guessing 2 to 3 depart who see depth chart issues.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Assuming Mason doesn't come back (that seems to be the consensus here), that allows one of Belviy, Harding, Culp and ??? to play 1B. That is one less player to compete for DH role.
We are going to have a lot of highly ranked players on the bench as it is.
That is my concern with townoles stud hitter transfer thought. If she's a good enough hitter, I'll take it, but I'm sure the repercussion will be a transfer or two.
I happen to believe next year's hitting will be much better.
If we get that 2nd stud pitcher (internal or external), we'll push for another WCWS.

I just hope the 1B adapts as well as Mason did.
I do not care we we get it but we need a Jessie Warren type in the lineup (grow it or GT)

charliemims

Star Player
Gold Member
Jun 15, 2003
Roster numbers/attrition? This year we had 25 on the roster due to players coming back. Coacha seems to like a roster of 22 (2018, 2019 and 2020 rosters).

In doing the math, we lost 4 seniors(Mason, Morgan, Shelnutt, and Davis). That takes us down to 21 but we have 5 coming in for a net total of 26 (one more than this year). Generally, we have a player or two leave at the end of the season.

How many leave this year and does anyone want to speculate who? Also, don’t forget, if we pick up a major pitcher from the portal, and perhaps a big hitter as has been suggested, that moves us from 26 to 28. No way I see us with a bigger roster than this year ( which means 3 have to go). Point being, I think we will see soon by the number of departures, how many transfers Coacha is hoping to bring in.
Unless I’m missing something, you overlooked Caylan Arnold as a departing senior, bringing the number to 5.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Unless I’m missing something, you overlooked Caylan Arnold as a departing senior, bringing the number to 5.
Thanks for catching that. So my corrected math before any transfers (either in or out is 25). 25 is still 3 more than our normal before this season - of 22. If our athletic budget is still a mess, it would be hard to imagine we go with as many 25 again.

My point is to mathematically point out to all of us (including myself) who believe we need a transfer stud pitcher, stud batter, or both, who leaves to create these 2-5 spots for transfers and/or getting back closer to a roster of 22?

Reactions: charliemims

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Thanks for catching that. So my corrected math before any transfers (either in or out is 25). 25 is still 3 more than our normal before this season - of 22. If our athletic budget is still a mess, it would be hard to imagine we go with as many 25 again.

My point is to mathematically point out to all of us (including myself) who believe we need a transfer stud pitcher, stud batter, or both, who leaves to create these 2-5 spots for transfers and/or getting back closer to a roster of 22?
The numbers seem always to work out. Maybe some leave due to no playing time available or some of the injured may not get well. As always we will see.

Reactions: charliemims

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
JDbnqex.jpg

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Softball American just printed their Top 100 recruits for 2022. The Gators have #1 and #4. There are still a few that remain uncommitted fortunately because the Noles have none currently.

Reactions: squiffynole

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Softball American just printed their Top 100 recruits for 2022. The Gators have #1 and #4. There are still a few that remain uncommitted fortunately because the Noles have none currently.
I really do not like SA rankings. They are driven mostly by $ and location. Don't really care for Max Preps either as they are all about stats which may be more about who you play. (I really pay attention to who gets chosen for the under 18 National team as they have scouting and tryouts and do extensive player evaluations. ----That being said we really do not need much based on the last 3 classes we have stacked up. It is always good to add a great hitter or lock down pitcher and we should do that every year but we really can get one from elsewhere to plug any holes that develop. I also believe we still will add some HS talent before signing day. (you have to remember the rules changed so recruiting became more later than sooner and a lot of the current rankings come from recruits that committed during the previous old rules where you could be recruited in 7th and 8th grade- now you must wait until the junior year- this will change our landscape because we have a continual top 10 performance ranking and have been playing for a WS title lately. JMHO

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
We got a transfer who may solve both of your requests townole.

https://goredbirds.com/documents/2021/5/17//2021_ILS_Overall.pdf?id=22036
Here is the article from seminoles.com

She's not quite the lockdown pitcher I was hoping for, but she is a nice dual threat which
will give us more flexibility for players like Muffley.
Her stat line from 21 at Illinois State was:
.425 BA, 10 HR 38 RBIs. She was 3/3 on SBs.
She struck out only 15 times in 127 ABs and got 26 walks.
On the mound, she had a 2.59 ERA and was 11-4 with 80 Ks and 60 BB in 100 innings.
Not fantastic on the mound, but who knows how much progress she'll make with Lonni.
How do you feel @townole and others?

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
We got a transfer who may solve both of your requests townole.

https://goredbirds.com/documents/2021/5/17//2021_ILS_Overall.pdf?id=22036
Here is the article from seminoles.com

She's not quite the lockdown pitcher I was hoping for, but she is a nice dual threat which
will give us more flexibility for players like Muffley.
Her stat line from 21 at Illinois State was:
.425 BA, 10 HR 38 RBIs. She was 3/3 on SBs.
She struck out only 15 times in 127 ABs and got 26 walks.
On the mound, she had a 2.59 ERA and was 11-4 with 80 Ks and 60 BB in 100 innings.
Not fantastic on the mound, but who knows how much progress she'll make with Lonni.
How do you feel @townole and others?
I look at this as a replacement for the two way player we are graduating. She plays first so that solves that and she bats left handed ( it does not say if she throws left handed) We may still be hunting a lock down type ( I have no clue what is available in the transfer market) Having not seen the player in action Coach may feel (and rightfully so) that she can improve the pitching stats— we will see.

Last edited:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I look at this as a replacement for the two way player we are graduating. She plays first so that solves that and she bats left handed ( it does not say if she throws left handed) We may still be hunting a lock down type ( I have no clue what is available in the transfer market) Having not seen the player in action Coach may feel (and rightfully so) that she can improve the pitching stats— we will see.
I'm fairly confident she will be an upgrade offensively, although the upgraded competition will be more difficult for her. I'd be happy with a .350 BA with 12 HRs and 48 RBIs.
As I pitcher, I'm not overly optimistic, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

charliemims

Star Player
Gold Member
Jun 15, 2003
I'm fairly confident she will be an upgrade offensively, although the upgraded competition will be more difficult for her. I'd be happy with a .350 BA with 12 HRs and 48 RBIs.
Lonnie has a track record of significantly improving transfer pitchers - not overnight, but it seems to always happen. I’m good with that and I like this girl’s bat.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
She played her 3 previous seasons, so she has 2 seasons remaining with us?

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Disclaimer: I give my opinions and they may be right, or they may be wrong. I do not seek
to hurt a player's feeling nor that of their parents. That said, I say it as I see it.
We have a great nucleus coming back.
The key to the season IMO is improved hitting (I anticipate this) and a 2nd stud pitcher on our staff to help KS.
Let's start with pitching.
We have KS coming back who turned into a top 10 pitcher in the nation IMO. She came into this past season as a good pitcher and left it a very good to almost great pitcher. She will be a RSJr.
D Watson (RSSr) has some times when she's very good, but more often than not her control and dependence upon the rise ball gets her in trouble. Thus the 2.62 era and 41 walks in 93 innings. In order to be that 2nd stud pitcher, she'll have to make a major improvement. Lonni seems to help all pitchers improve significantly, but I'm skeptical she'll be stud 2. Hope I'm wrong.
Emma Wilson (RSSo) only pitched 20.2 innings to a 2.27 era with 7 walks. Apparently Lonni thinks she has the potential to be a Jessica Burroughs kind of pitcher. Sure hope so, but the chances of her being stud 2 this coming year are minimal IMO. Give her one more year and hopefully we'll see JB part deux. May I be wrong on this one.
Brianna Enter and Jeya Prassad didn't pitch much. Not expecting much. Hope to be surprised.
Morgan Kendrick is a promising looking freshman from Fleming Island Fl. I'm definitely not expecting stud 2 out of a freshman.
IMO, it is very important we get a stud pitching transfer. Time will tell, but with the close call at the WCWS, there has to be a stud transfer out there wanting to be the missing piece for FSU.
OU just got a stud pitcher transfer. Why not us? We need Kylie Jo part deux.
I might add the transfer seems to be replacing 2 players ( DP and 1st) and is right handed pitcher and a left handed hitter. Good pickup in my mind until some one else grows into either job. I concur that we could still use a left handed lock down (but that may be just me being picky) 😁

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I found a picture of her pitching right handed.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I wanted to add 2 bits of info.
1. She did this against an easier schedule.
2. Her team only played 41 games. For comparison's sake we played in 63.
They literally played 2/3s the games we did.
I don't know how to factor in the lesser comp, but as I stated I'm hopeful she can be a .350 hitter with 12 or so homers. That would be better than anything we had this past year.

NoleFreak85

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2003
N. Virginia
www.fsusoftball.com
1st base transfer from USF:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'm sorry, but this one makes 0 sense to me.
No disrespect, but 1B is usually a power position as far as hitting.
She has 13 HRs over 4 years at USF.
Her BA is .272 over her time there. .299 last year. Again, she would fit in well
with last year's team. Factor in a weaker schedule and her BA is probably in the .250 to .270.
Great defender? Well that is one thing, but now where does Mack Leonard play?
She seems to bring one real positive thing to the equation, defense.
That is not enough to sit either Mack Leonard or our other players who were expected to
compete at 1B.
The only thing that makes any sense is if she is expected to be a late inning defensive replacement.
Is my thinking wrong here?
If she plays that will further dilute the playing time of people we need going forward. What are you thinking Lonni?

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
I wanted to add 2 bits of info.
1. She did this against an easier schedule.
2. Her team only played 41 games. For comparison's sake we played in 63.
They literally played 2/3s the games we did.
I don't know how to factor in the lesser comp, but as I stated I'm hopeful she can be a .350 hitter with 12 or so homers. That would be better than anything we had this past year.
They did not beat any ranked teams (they did schedule some ranked teams and the games were cancelled.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
She isn't beating out what we have much less Mack. Options are good but the real negative part of this is it negatively impacts available scholarships to improve positions we really need help.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
I'm sorry, but this one makes 0 sense to me.
No disrespect, but 1B is usually a power position as far as hitting.
She has 13 HRs over 4 years at USF.
Her BA is .272 over her time there. .299 last year. Again, she would fit in well
with last year's team. Factor in a weaker schedule and her BA is probably in the .250 to .270.
Great defender? Well that is one thing, but now where does Mack Leonard play?
She seems to bring one real positive thing to the equation, defense.
That is not enough to sit either Mack Leonard or our other players who were expected to
compete at 1B.
The only thing that makes any sense is if she is expected to be a late inning defensive replacement.
Is my thinking wrong here?
If she plays that will further dilute the playing time of people we need going forward. What are you thinking Lonni?
Concur. Coaching the Canada team must be warping the judgement :)

GarnetAndGold1

Freshman
Mar 8, 2020
I also post it like I see and you may not agree but its my opinion.
I'll just let you guys post your babble and enjoy another season with a glass half full. Already criticizing players and the staff is about par for this board. By the way, The kids proved many of you wrong. How about acknowledging that before you start your arm chair quarterbacking for next season. Just saying!!