Women's Softball

FLSnole

Starter
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2020
Why have we not see DuBois?
It's a crime Coacha has not recruited at the P position better since Sandercock and Herzog.
I’m sure it’s not from a lack of trying. Not sure why it hasn’t happened more as well.

But I also think we are at a big disadvantage to the SEC in both tv exposure and facilities. I’m biased and can’t imagine why a pitcher wouldn’t want to play for Lonni and FSU, but I do think the tv exposure matters unfortunately.

roadtrip72

Starter
Apr 24, 2021
14-1 and 1-0. Team can hit community college pitching, but did not do so well with Sunbelt.
If anyone finds a box score on the Troy, please post a link. Thanks

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
I’m sure it’s not from a lack of trying. Not sure why it hasn’t happened more as well.

But I also think we are at a big disadvantage to the SEC in both tv exposure and facilities. I’m biased and can’t imagine why a pitcher wouldn’t want to play for Lonni and FSU, but I do think the tv exposure matters unfortunately.
This is simply not accurate in my mind because of the following:
  • We have a top 5 COACH (Number 1 on my list)
  • We have a great facility and we are constantly updating it (new scoreboard coming)
  • Our TV exposure has gotten much better with the new ACC network
  • We have one of the storied programs with great records every year
  • The ACC is not that highly rated in Football but many of the other sports are Nationally Competitive. Look at the Regionals last year and the ACC programs did a good job representing
  • Our Family atmosphere and the general outlook of our players is very enticing to parents and recruits
  • AND FINALLY and by no means last we are competing for NC almost yearly
We should get a top 10 pitcher every year. Maybe we miss on a year here and there but not year after year. THIS IS a product of several factors -- the new recruiting cycle will give us a chance to turn this around in my mind. NO more recruiting 13-14 year old's. JMHO

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
You and Tom are my experts but I'll say to my amateur eye Enter and Prasad have no chance, Leonard is questionable, Wilson is a maybe. Lonni will have to work some magic (which I won't rule out).
If Wilson does not grow into the job it will be up to Watson to take the second spot. That's what I see so far.

kodiackid

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
But the SEC is probably the top softball conference, easily better than the ACC. Whereas the ACC is by far the dominate conference in girls soccer and at least one other sport.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
But the SEC is probably the top softball conference, easily better than the ACC. Whereas the ACC is by far the dominate conference in girls soccer and at least one other sport.
Probably is the word ESPN and the SEC constantly use as their mantra but the truth is somewhat different. The past shows they are competitive but far from dominant . They have made a big stride by taking Oklahoma but that will just bring down the rest of the conference. Frankly in Softball the West Coast teams have been dominant and others including the ACC are coming along. You might recall who played for the NC (OK and FSU)-- This was not a fluke. The West Coast teams like AZ ,UCLA, Washington and others are much more dominant than the SEC and will remain so. The SEC likes to beat their chest but we went thru several of them and others are doing so as well. If you want to look to the future the West Coast teams have recruited well over the last 4 years and continue to do so. The SEC just is not that attractive in Softball-- except to those who follow the SEC. Good conference but not the best one -- they just like ESPN to keep saying they are and many just believe it- the past record proves otherwise. I do wonder now that OK has joined if it means OK may take a step back - (they no longer will be the top dog in the conference allegiance wise )--ALA and UF come to mind. OK does have a top Coach and major facility and money so I predict a continuing bright future for them (maybe to the detriment of the rest of the league.) Blowing your own horn does not make it so. JMHO

Last edited:

stanner

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2003
I may have missed it but with K. Raftor being named the new head coach for Canada's National Team, do we lose her our 2021-2022 Seminole Team? Congratulations to her either way.
Rafter will be around for a few years. Team Canada and FSU will not overlap too much.

Reactions: ranger43

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Rafter will be around for a few years. Team Canada and FSU will not overlap too much.
Thanks. That is awesome news. I believe she will be a huge lift to this team. Not only can she help develop our young catchers during a transition year, but her strong history swinging the bat as well.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Thanks. That is awesome news. I believe she will be a huge lift to this team. Not only can she help develop our young catchers during a transition year, but her strong history swinging the bat as well.
She is a great addition and I do think she has some talent to work with. Edenfield is a big catcher. I love big catchers as they do not move as much behind the plate and umpires seem to penalize movement (when they move the umpire seems to believe it most likely is a ball). Big catchers also give the umpire a larger knee to knee zone. A LOT of umpires do use the catchers knees to help establish the zone. Both Edenfield and Lo seem to have a great arm and are enthusiastic and pitcher friendly in framing the zone (big improvement in my mind). Both have potential to help the long ball need in our lineup -- We will see. JMHO

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Super! Thanks.
FA94URHUcAorC89
Does anyone know if they are telecasting today and is there a link?

Reactions: runningnole

squiffynole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
So it may have been Kaleigh Rafter coaching first base the last practice game? I'd like that going forward preferably with Travis Wilson coaching third.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Looking forward today to my first Noles game of the year in person. Expecting great contributions from Rafter. Hoping for improvement at 3rd base coaching. Looking for what coaches do this year with Harding. Can't wait to see this year's freshmen, last year's freshmen who were injured early, as well as DuBois to see what she can add to this pitching staff. So much to look forward to on what (roster wise) is a very good team

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Any stats?
You can't really tell who is playing anywhere or batting either really and the announcers are no help. Not sure they even bat in order after the first time around. Not good broadcast for doing any fan evaluation of production of players.

Reactions: squiffynole

redsoxnole

Starter
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
These announcers are not even up to awful. They talk incessantly and never talk about the game or the players (which is why most of us are tuning in).
Why are you guys so angry, be happy the game is on and if you don’t like the commentary mute your device, the people commenting are not professional announcers

Reactions: Noles61

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Why are you guys so angry, be happy the game is on and if you don’t like the commentary mute your device, the people commenting are not professional announcers
I am not angry just disappointed that you cannot even get the basic information (like who is playing where and who is even batting- if you do not recognize the number you are just lost)-- most of us are tuning in to see what the team and specific players are looking like but that is mostly impossible. Some players make a great play (and you cannot even tell who it is because they are all playing new positions with new players) and the announcers are talking about going skiing in Colorado. Even rookie announcers know to at least tell the fans who is playing where and who is batting and making plays. Maybe my expectations were too high.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Hard to say, her timing was off but I thought she was swinging well at the last practice game. Looking forward to a report about tonight's game from @ranger43.
Wow! It was great to see FSU softball in person once again. Forgive me if I go a little long but I will try to be as thorough as I can.

Muffley was not dressed out. Kerr did not play. DuBois, Prasad, Enter and Kendrick did not pitch.

Base coaches: Cameron at 3rd and Rafter at 1st

Starters tonight: Most played the first 3 innings
1st - Harding (made a nice defensive play at 1st). She looked very comfortable there. Starting clean-up hitter. I believe she batted just once with no success.
2nd - Ross - She was also the leadoff batter and has some serious wheels. Even after she subbed out, she was subbed in as a pinch runner later and stole at least one base (including 3rd). Look for her to be a part of this year's plan.
SS - Blankenship - Batted second. Going to be a player for FSU. I believe she was the only player to play all nine innings (ss, 3rd and 2nd). Has a good eye for the ball and as soon as her bat comes around to go along with her smooth defensive skills, I can't see out out of the line-up.
3rd - Hartley - A surprise player for me. She played a very smooth 3rd base. Batted 7th. I believe she had a walk, as well as a double that scored 2.
Of course the opening 3 inning battery:Kat and Kaia (I don't recall Kaia with a base hit)
In the starting outfield:
LF Leonard (batted fifth) - Struck out twice and flied out.
CF -Belvey (batted 6th) A strike out and a walk (stole a base). Good speed for a tall girl.
RF - Wacasser - Batted 3rd. Good to finally see her in action. 0-2 Two solid shots but great diving catch by 2nd base (more on her later).
DH - Chloe Culp - Can't tell you how good it was to see her back out there after her injury last year. I did not see any lingering effects. I had her down for a fielders choice, sac fly to deep center, and a double that scored two.

After 3 innings, TCC changed pitchers without giving the Noles a hit. TCC on the offensive end played situational base running and often started innings with one or more runners on 2nd and 3rd. Even though TCC scored a run early, I believe it occurred when they started with a runner on third and then got a follow-up base hit (their only one I think). Scoring wise, our base running was straight up and I believe we scored 8 runs in the 9 inning game.

In the fourth, Sid came in at third, Ross moved to SS, and Blankenship to 2nd. Leonard came in to 1st, Riggs to rf, Landers to left and Mudge to center. Emma came in to pitch with Edenfield behind the plate. Edenfield looked comfortable back there and I like her speed and ability to make it to first (very strong).

Some additional: Landers now bats with glasses on and seems to see the ball better. She had a single with an RBI. Mudge played all three outfield positions after not starting.

Top of the 7th- Keen came in at 1st. She looked very comfortable at 1st. Blankenship moved to 3rd. Flaherty at ss and Sid to 2nd.

Pitching - Kat pitched 3 innings and was in control throughout. Emma came in for 3. She was not in control as much as Kat, and you think she is about to lose it at any moment with her occasional lack of control - BUT she held them scoreless for 3. She also had a double off the right field wall. Watson came in for all but the last inning. At times she was good with her velocity, or times it was a lack of control. No runs allowed, but she reminded me of last year. If I had to pick a top pitching award after Kat, I would go with Leonard striking out the side in the 9th (the only inning she pitched). Did we throw our Top 4 pitchers (I don't know what is up with DuBois)? I did not see major improvements from pitchers who have developed over the Summer under Coacha's leadership into a solid #2.

Also playing were Saabye (mostly at 2nd), Riggs in right (got an infield single), Katie Bright got in the game at catcher in the 9th and had also an infield groundout. As previously mentioned, Keen looked very comfortable at 1st, but at the bat she was 1-2 with the out being solid stroke.

Sid had another double - what else is new? No hits for Flaherty and I don't recall any defensive opportunities for her at ss.

Overall, I was a little worried offensively after three. We came back (but it was a CC) so the jury is still out. Pitching is unfortunately what I expected but the jury is still hopeful on DuBois and Leonard (fingers crossed). Defense will be our strength. We have a young team but it will be fun to watch. Of the first and second year players, there are some good players to watch in their development as Noles. HR power is still on hold but I feel the potential is there with Kerr, Wacaser and Culp of course Harding. Come on offensive coaches.

Honestly, I think we have too many players who will ride the bench for the vast majority of the year. Will we have any that decide to leave at the Christmas break feeling that way?

It was just one game but it sure was nice to be out at the field again. I feel like I covered most things but if anyone has specific questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

I mentioned the TCC 2nd baseman. Some really great defensive plays at 2nd that robbed our batters a few times. Mike Martin would have tipped his hat.

As always - go Noles! Is it February yet?

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Wow! It was great to see FSU softball in person once again. Forgive me if I go a little long but I will try to be as thorough as I can.

Muffley was not dressed out. Kerr did not play. DuBois, Prasad, Enter and Kendrick did not pitch.

1st - Harding (made a nice defensive play at 1st). She looked very comfortable there. Starting clean-up hitter. I believe she batted just once with no success.
2nd - Ross - She was also the leadoff batter and has some serious wheels. Even after she subbed out, she was subbed in as a pinch runner later and stole at least one base (including 3rd). Look for her to be a part of this year's plan.
SS - Blankenship - Batted second. Going to be a player for FSU. I believe she was the only player to play all nine innings (ss, 3rd and 2nd). Has a good eye for the ball and as soon as her bat comes around to go along with her smooth defensive skills, I can't see out out of the line-up.
3rd - Hartley - A surprise player for me. She played a very smooth 3rd base. Batted 7th. I believe she had a walk, as well as a double that scored 2.
Of course the opening 3 inning battery:Kat and Kaia (I don't recall Kaia with a base hit)
CF -Belvey (batted 6th) A strike out and a walk (stole a base). Good speed for a tall girl.
RF - Wacasser - Batted 3rd. Good to finally see her in action. 0-2 Two solid shots but great diving catch by 2nd base (more on her later).
DH - Chloe Culp - Can't tell you how good it was to see her back out there after her injury last year. I did not see any lingering effects. I had her down for a fielders choice, sac fly to deep center, and a double that scored two.

After 3 innings, TCC changed pitchers without giving the Noles a hit. TCC on the offensive end played situational base running and often started innings with one or more runners on 2nd and 3rd. Even though TCC scored a run early, I believe it occurred when they started with a runner on third and then got a follow-up base hit (their only one I think). Scoring wise, our base running was straight up and I believe we scored 8 runs in the 9 inning game.

In the fourth, Sid came in at third, Ross moved to SS, and Blankenship to 2nd. Leonard came in to 1st, Riggs to rf, Landers to left and Mudge to center. Emma came in to pitch with Edenfield behind the plate. Edenfield looked comfortable back there and I like her speed and ability to make it to first (very strong).

Some additional: Landers now bats with glasses on and seems to see the ball better. She had a single with an RBI. Mudge played all three outfield positions after not starting.

Top of the 7th- Keen came in at 1st. She looked very comfortable at 1st. Blankenship moved to 3rd. Flaherty at ss and Sid to 2nd.

Pitching - Kat pitched 3 innings and was in control throughout. Emma came in for 3. She was not in control as much as Kat, and you think she is about to lose it at any moment with her occasional lack of control - BUT she held them scoreless for 3. She also had a double off the right field wall. Watson came in for all but the last inning. At times she was good with her velocity, or times it was a lack of control. No runs allowed, but she reminded me of last year. If I had to pick a top pitching award after Kat, I would go with Leonard striking out the side in the 9th (the only inning she pitched). Did we throw our Top 4 pitchers (I don't know what is up with DuBois)? I did not see major improvements from pitchers who have developed over the Summer under Coacha's leadership into a solid #2.

Also playing were Saabye (mostly at 2nd), Riggs in right (got an infield single), Katie Bright got in the game at catcher in the 9th and had also an infield groundout. As previously mentioned, Keen looked very comfortable at 1st, but at the bat she was 1-2 with the out being solid stroke.

Sid had another double - what else is new? No hits for Flaherty and I don't recall any defensive opportunities for her at ss.

Overall, I was a little worried offensively after three. We came back (but it was a CC) so the jury is still out. Pitching is unfortunately what I expected but the jury is still hopeful on DuBois and Leonard (fingers crossed). Defense will be our strength. We have a young team but it will be fun to watch. Of the first and second year players, there are some good players to watch in their development as Noles. HR power is still on hold but I feel the potential is there with Kerr, Wacaser and Culp of course Harding. Come on offensive coaches.

Honestly, I think we have too many players who will ride the bench for the vast majority of the year. Will we have any that decide to leave at the Christmas break feeling that way?

It was just one game but it sure was nice to be out at the field again. I feel like I covered most things but if anyone has specific questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

I mentioned the TCC 2nd baseman. Some really great defensive plays at 2nd that robbed our batters a few times. Mike Martin would have tipped his hat.

Fantastic report! Thank you.

Reactions: NoleLizards

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Hard to say, her timing was off but I thought she was swinging well at the last practice game. Looking forward to a report about tonight's game from @ranger43.
In a previous post I stated Culp should be in the lineup every game until she proves she can't go. She is aggressive and has major skills (can be a leader in gap shots and HR) We need some of those real bad based on the games I have watched.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002

• My thoughts on our season probable starters . My lineup prediction to start the year is as follows (interested in any other thoughts anyone has):
  1. Mudge (CF/LF)
  2. Flaherty (2B/SS)
  3. Syd (3RD)
  4. Culp (DP or somewhere)
  5. Harding (1B or RF)
  6. Blankenship (2B or SS)
  7. Leonard (LF or !B)
  8. Wacasser (RF- if Harding at 1ST)
  9. Edenfield (Catcher)
Kerr I believe will not play until the spring as she is still needing to recover (I think she could play but may not). She could change the OF configuration. Muffley will play some too but her playing will most likely come down to if she or BB are hitting . I really like our infield options. Keen will play some defensive roll at first etc. )--My 1-5 I believe are a lock somewhere for various reasons. Some of these are going to have to play if we are going to have any Long balls in our lineup-- real concerned about our LB potential. As always subject to change based on injuries etc. . JMHO

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
In a previous post I stated Culp should be in the lineup every game until she proves she can't go. She is aggressive and has major skills (can be a leader in gap shots and HR) We need some of those real bad based on the games I have watched.
The physical elements that enable power hitting is an interesting subject.

Chloe Culp is 5'7" and appears to have a solid, compact body core that is flexible and quick enough to rotate and whip the bat in a millisecond. Her bat speed reminds me of Jessie Warren or Maddie O'Brien a few years ago. And of course fine motor control and good eyes are musts. I'm with you about Culp's upside.

Other players bring their own ingredients like the large body power hitters who do it with sheer strength (Cassie Davis) or more finesse hitters who do it with balance and technique (Alex Powers). Generally though I'm skeptical about taller softball players consistently hitting for power (Michaela Edenfield) just because their mechanics take time to unwind and the ball comes in so fast.

But I just watch and wonder!

Reactions: Noles61

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
The physical elements that enable power hitting is an interesting subject.

Chloe Culp is 5'7" and appears to have a solid, compact body core that is flexible and quick enough to rotate and whip the bat in a millisecond. Her bat speed reminds me of Jessie Warren or Maddie O'Brien a few years ago. And of course fine motor control and good eyes are musts. I'm with you about Culp's upside.

Other players bring their own ingredients like the large body power hitters who do it with sheer strength (Cassie Davis) or more finesse hitters who do it with balance and technique (Alex Powers). Generally though I'm skeptical about taller softball players consistently hitting for power (Michaela Edenfield) just because their mechanics take time to unwind and the ball comes in so fast.

But I just watch and wonder!
I am hopeful Edenfield will blossom.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Does anyone have an update from the Auburn game on Sunday?

roadtrip72

Starter
Apr 24, 2021
Was waiting on an eye witness report, but none seems forthcoming, so I'll give it a shot from the stream and my jumble of a box score.
First pitching: missed the start so do not know how the run came about. What I do have is Wilson went 3 1/3 giving up a run and at least 3K 1BB. Enter Enter, haha, been waiting on that one, She went 2/3: 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 hit batter. Watson came in for 1 inning, striking out the side with mostly heat. Sandercock came in for 2 innings, gave up a single, 0 K, 0 BB. Kendrick went 1/3. DuBois finished 1 2/3, no runs, no hits, K'ed 1.

18 players batted. Sid had her 2 bagger. Emma had double and scored. Belviy got a single, took off for second, fielder missed the throw, and she was lightning fast to the plate for the score. Wacaser and Hartley with RBI singles. Edenfield and Ross with 2Bs. Blankenship 2 for 3, 3 RBIs on single and double. Culp, Bright, and Edenfield were the others with RBIs.

I do not see any errors listed for FSU. I think coach has her infield looking to the future. Would guess Blankenship at SS this year, then moving to 3B, girl has an arm. Hartley looked solid at second, and if Ross can develop at SS that's great. Good to have a tall, fast, rangy shortstop.

As an old friend says, "that's all I know."

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
14-1 and 1-0. Team can hit community college pitching, but did not do so well with Sunbelt.
If anyone finds a box score on the Troy, please post a link. Thanks

Was waiting on an eye witness report, but none seems forthcoming, so I'll give it a shot from the stream and my jumble of a box score.
First pitching: missed the start so do not know how the run came about. What I do have is Wilson went 3 1/3 giving up a run and at least 3K 1BB. Enter Enter, haha, been waiting on that one, She went 2/3: 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 hit batter. Watson came in for 1 inning, striking out the side with mostly heat. Sandercock came in for 2 innings, gave up a single, 0 K, 0 BB. Kendrick went 1/3. DuBois finished 1 2/3, no runs, no hits, K'ed 1.

18 players batted. Sid had her 2 bagger. Emma had double and scored. Belviy got a single, took off for second, fielder missed the throw, and she was lightning fast to the plate for the score. Wacaser and Hartley with RBI singles. Edenfield and Ross with 2Bs. Blankenship 2 for 3, 3 RBIs on single and double. Culp, Bright, and Edenfield were the others with RBIs.

I do not see any errors listed for FSU. I think coach has her infield looking to the future. Would guess Blankenship at SS this year, then moving to 3B, girl has an arm. Hartley looked solid at second, and if Ross can develop at SS that's great. Good to have a tall, fast, rangy shortstop.

As an old friend says, "that's all I know."
You better have room in that infield for Flaherty because she is a lock. :)

Reactions: roadtrip72

roadtrip72

Starter
Apr 24, 2021
Yep, Dev is safe at second. My comment was more to replacing Sid after this coming season, and Dev after 23. #9 one of my favorites, I call her the splendid splinter, after Ted Williams. She can take a pitcher deep into the count.