ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

jdogg_20_8

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2007
All polls have been released now and updated for games through April 4th. Here is what we got for this weekend:

USA Today: FSU #2 VT #4
ESPN: FSU #3 VT #5
Softball America: FSU #2 VT #5
D1: FSU #3 VT #4
RPI: VT #2 FSU #5

For a series in Tallahassee in the ACC, I think this will be highest both have been seeded. Can remember uf coming in and it was 1 vs 2 for 1 game and then Arizona was here last year ranked #2 but we were down at #16.

Last edited:
I wonder how much more Leonard would have pitched if Keen had been available for 1st base duties without having to use Harding out of the outfield. Not many innings yet but she has 13 innings, 11K and 0.0 era. FSU might have three really good pitchers afterall. And developing Enter and Wilson for next season.

We shall see.
This is an interesting question with a lot of what if's. Based solely on how her hitting was going I would say we are about where we would be. But---- who knows maybe she would have started hitting bombs and changed the equation.

Hmmm. Just going off the roster and seeing who is listed as seniors. Guess they can come back for the COVID year, but not sure. We will know for certain on senior day.
The key here is that they could all go if they choose (assuming graduation)

Help me out guys- by the rules, in order to be a strike, must the entire softball be over the plate, or only a piece of the ball ? Of course, all the other parameters must be met. I was taught many years ago, the entire ball must cross. Thanks in advance for any help!

Reactions: squiffynole
To be a strike it has to 'clip' the plate in the zone in the eyes of the umpire, this guy was mostly consistent on the 3rd base side of the plate but he miss several off the plate called strikes on the 1st base side.

He definitely gave Kat one off the plate on the 1B side.
Mack Leonard was dealing!
The gates have been a power hitting club in the past, but I suspect Walton was trying to copy Lonni!
Great call by Lonni to intentionally walk the one girl.
Their hitting lineup is not intimidating!

Help me out guys- by the rules, in order to be a strike, must the entire softball be over the plate, or only a piece of the ball ? Of course, all the other parameters must be met. I was taught many years ago, the entire ball must cross. Thanks in advance for any help!
The answer is it changes with every umpire and every home team.

Reactions: cnole1
He definitely gave Kat one off the plate on the 1B side.
Mack Leonard was dealing!
The gates have been a power hitting club in the past, but I suspect Walton was trying to copy Lonni!
Great call by Lonni to intentionally walk the one girl.
Their hitting lineup is not intimidating!
As always you make a good point. To my eyes the gator roster traditionally emphasized thicker players with more lower body power - which has been the way of the SEC - but now it appears Coach Walton is transitioning to leaner and faster but has work to do to stockpile the necessary quality.

Reactions: Noles61 and 62Nole
As a reminder, you can grab some softball specific stuff now through MadSo, G&G, and Sunday Golds (Cayaln Arnold's company):

NO- Ant part of the ball on any part of the plate

Reactions: cnole1
As always you make a good point. To my eyes the gator roster traditionally emphasized thicker players with more lower body power - which has been the way of the SEC - but now it appears Coach Walton is transitioning to leaner and faster but has work to do to stockpile the necessary quality.
He has it on his roster after last years (and the year before) recruiting haul but they do need some seasoning. Will be dangerous in the future as they recruited great pitching and a mix of speed and power. Might take a season or so but they have the raw talent NOW. AND I concur they are following the Coacha model-- High praise.

Did anyone else notice that the camera system in Gainesville was very very good. The number and definition was outstanding. Much better than anywhere else we have had broadcast -- even Clearwater in my mind. Don't know what system and numbers they have but it looked like it would be good to have. JMHO

Did anyone else notice that the camera system in Gainesville was very very good. The number and definition was outstanding. Much better than anywhere else we have had broadcast -- even Clearwater in my mind. Don't know what system and numbers they have but it looked like it would be good to have. JMHO
I used to work in sports TV production. Seminole productions is a joke and leaves a lot to be desired. If your gonna use kids on cameras you better have good teachers.

As a reminder, you can grab some softball specific stuff now through MadSo, G&G, and Sunday Golds (Cayaln Arnold's company):

Wifey wore her area 24 tee last night bought from Caylan Arnold. I am happy to say the tee is still undefeated. Caylan's company was a pleasure to deal with.

I have to say this. For a gader team of any kind, they were remarkably well behaved, with one exception, the pitcher. She seemed to think every one of her pitches should have been called strikes.

As an aside, is there any way we can rid ourselves of that Mowins chick?

Reactions: roadtrip72
Well, their so-called .400 hitters didn't seem to intimidating to me. But,in the end, good pitching will always beat good hitting.

Reactions: AtlSFNole
I have to say this. For a gader team of any kind, they were remarkably well behaved, with one exception, the pitcher. She seemed to think every one of her pitches should have been called strikes.

As an aside, is there any way we can rid ourselves of that Mowins chick?
Been saying that for years but some fans think she is OK if she says something positive about us occasionally.

Reactions: ParooKid
What is everyone's think process concerning Mack's pitching? I see a potential ace going forward into next year.

Think Mack has some good stuff. She was not afraid to go inside. However they were getting some good hits off of her. She will need to get better help up the middle if she is going to start. Like...nay love her coming in for an inning or two in a closer role this year.

ADVERTISEMENT