ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

Yes, I posted link to article a couple weeks ago ( then forgot in the above post which Tom corrected).

Then would Mack stay at first and Harsing continue in RF? I only ask because you mention Harding moving to first next season. Thanks.

I see a lot of teams with an entire week off on their schedule. It looks like Alabama and Duke have this week off and saw in the past that Oklahoma had a week. We do not. We have scheduled a game every weekend since we started the season. I wonder which approach is better. Keep the girls in game mindset or get some practice in?!?

On the surface, it seems like a fine class. Where are the outfielders?
I would be totally guessing, but I think we get at least 2, if not 3 transfers. I'm also
guessing we lose a couple (in addition to Landers) to transfers. I won't speculate
names here.
My question is how good is DuBois. She was dominant at the Boston University level.
That brings hope, but the ACC is a whole other level.
If she is that good, why didn't she play this year?
Madi Balk seems like she may be good enough to contribute her first year!
We'll see!
If we develop a deeper/better pitching staff, next year could be very good!

Then would Mack stay at first and Harsing continue in RF? I only ask because you mention Harding moving to first next season. Thanks.
Yes, also if Keen is granted another year to play she is an option at 1st when Leonard pitches.

Reactions: Noles61
I haven't seen Harding handle enough tough hits or throws to know which one might be better defensively.

Reactions: jgking83
It's becoming apparent that Coacha is more comfortable with BB's defense at short, b/c she is doing late-inning defensive replacements with BB in for Muffley.
I could be reading too much into it.
I am excited about the potential Amaya Ross brings to the table. We just need to find a position for her. Maybe Flaherty goes to 3B next year with Ross at 2B. Maybe she successfully transitions to the outfield. Kerr's bat is beginning to come around, but not her fielding. Again on Friday she takes a circuitous route to a high fly ball to left center and ultimately doesn't make it. She actually looks awkward running to it. Meanwhile their CFer makes a great catch on a scorching line drive going back and slightly to her left. (hit by Harding with the bases loaded and one out.) She then throws a dime to 2B to double up Syd on a rare base-running error. No way Jahni gets to that one, much less throws out the runner.
I haven't watched the games with this in mind, but I noticed 3 CFers who are head and shoulders better than ours.
The VT CFer would be my first choice, The Clemson and UF CFer are both waay better defensively.
Let's go get one of them! (meaning a CFer like those CFers. Of course if one of those hits the portal...)
Maybe Amaya or Autumn can make the move. Defense is the question for Amaya and offense for Autumn.
I would think we will see more of the same next year. I believe Devyn will stay where she is-- I see no reason to move her ( I always say do not change two positions to fix one). I believe BB and Muffley will again share SS. I believe our 3rd base option will be Hartley first (unless she just does not pan out) because that is what she was recruited for. Ross played SS in HS so I believe she can play OF and with her speed and movement can be a good CF. Like this year we will have many options with some quality talent-- maybe Riggs will take the job as she is fast and agile and was a High School ALL-STAR at that. . The big HOLE will be a Grad transfer starter at Pitching. If we can find a complimentary lockdown pitcher to KAT then we are in good shape. (I am thinking about the pitcher at USF who is just lights out but just needs a run or two to win--someone like that)

Yes, another Kylee Jo Hanson would fit the bill for sure.
We can always hope that the CFer from VT would have an itch to move!
That's a pipe dream, but it would be amazing.

I've been thinking how it's a long schedule for the team, its easy to forget we're following kids who in their "spare time" are busy with college coursework, transitioning in life, etc.

The ladies have played 48 games, 7 are left in the regular season the next 4 against top competition. Our 1st and 2nd year players have never experienced anything like this how could they not be mentally and/or physically tired?

The season ending injuries to Landers, Keen and (apparently) LoPreste don't help to say the least. I mean, Kiersten would have allowed to coaching staff to give Jahni bench time to take the pressure off and work on her game and I'd definitely have preferred to give Edenfield rest now and then by bringing in Kaia.

The games have been very entertaining lately, looking forward to more fun against Oklahoma State on Thursday at 7 and Friday at 2 and 6.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Could be, and they turned a nice one today. I am saying they could be better, a quiet a bit better.
Agreed, except I believe Blankenship is only more aggressive on balls straight at her. Side to side and straight, back Muffley has it all over her. Now, Muffley tries to get fancy with her backhand on side to sides when it isn't necessary. I have seen her many times do a backhand when she has plenty of time to circle the ball and do a crow hop. Backhands look pretty, but invariably leave the fielder in a bad throwing position. Syd has mastered it at third base, Muffley has not, and like you say, she doesn't have the strongest of arms.

The shortstop/second base double play is the weakest of the lot. Neither Muffley, Blankenship, nor Flaratey (sp) do it correctly, mainly due to none of the three have mastered the underhanded throw to first, nor the bounce back and throw to first. It is a noticible weakness on our infield. We could have many more dp's if they could. That is on the coaching staff, as all of them have arms that could get it done. They just aren't coached to do, so in my opinion.

All of the above is, as you say, just a personal opinion, doesn't make it 100% correct, by any means.
So I am not sure what the “underhanded“ throw to first mastery you speak of, but I have watched every single play this year and there has not been a single time there should have been an underhanded throw to first when there wasn’t and this team turns double plays like no other …. Even against Gators with runner at first stealing

Most often the underhand flip has been used in short tosses. Just the fact that FSU is currently ranked #1 in defense means they are doing something right. (even if it is 'not the right way.')

Reactions: FLSnole
Not getting into an argument with anyone on here, as it was just an opinion of mine. Secondly, if you don't know the difference in a half windup throw to first from second vs the quick flip to first from second, you need to watch and/or coach baseball. This becomes more important when you consider the short distant between bases in softball. The transition of the ball from glove to an overhand throwing motion takes time that nobody has to give in softball.

Like i say, I'm not going to get into further arguments on this matter. this is a very clean board and I am not going to be the one to drag it down. This is my last input on the matter, I'm out. Thanks, for the discussion.

Could be, and they turned a nice one today. I am saying they could be better, a quiet a bit better.
I don’t know that it is realistic to say the number one fielding team in the country who is third in double plays could be “quiet (sic) a bit better.”

Reactions: squiffynole
I hope he misspoke and meant underhand toss to second to turn the play to first.

I played collegiate baseball at a smaller D1 school and then coached softball. It is surprising how much faster the softball game is to baseball. And therefore any small adjustments that you can make to save time equals more outs. I think that is why I have really enjoyed FSU's success in softball. It reminds me a lot of college basketball vs NBA. The game though similar is wayyy different.

I don’t know that it is realistic to say the number one fielding team in the country who is third in double plays could be “quiet (sic) a bit better.”
I concur and like what we got and am all for keeping it until we can't :)

The 2 PM Friday was cancelled, no game was scheduled for Saturday.

7 PM Thursday on ESPN 2 6 PM Friday on ACCNX or possibly ESPNU

2022 ACC Softball Championship Schedule
Wednesday, May 11

Game 1: #8 Seed vs. #9 Seed, 1 p.m.
Game 2: #7 Seed vs. #10 Seed, 3:30 p.m.

Thursday, May 12
Game 3: #1 Seed vs. Winner Game 1, 11 a.m.
Game 4: #4 Seed vs. #5 Seed, 1:30 p.m.
Game 5: #2 Seed vs. Winner Game 2, 5 p.m.
Game 6: #3 Seed vs. #6 Seed, 7:30 p.m.

Friday, May 13
Game 7: Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4, 1 p.m.
Game 8: Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6, 3:30 p.m.

Saturday, May 14
Game 9: Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8, 1 p.m.

Once spring practice ended earlier this month, FSU started replacing the grass at Doak Campbell Stadium, the Seminole Soccer Complex and one of the FSU football team's outdoor practice fields a few weeks ago.

Once FSU baseball and softball seasons come to an end, the grass at Dick Howser Stadium and JoAnne Graf Field will both be replaced as well before their 2023 seasons begin next spring.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...ord-doak-soccer-softball-baseball/7435777001/

I did not see the ump put his hand out to signal obstruction. Glad the ball sailed or else we would have not had the benefit of replay and I did not trust home plate ump last night.
True. I watched the replay when I got home. The ump did not raise his arm. It clearly was however and, like you, glad the game did not depend on him.

Does anyone know why FSU doesn’t have instant replay? I know it’s not required but we seem so on top of things with our video productions otherwise.

True. I watched the replay when I got home. The ump did not raise his arm. It clearly was however and, like you, glad the game did not depend on him.

Does anyone know why FSU doesn’t have instant replay? I know it’s not required but we seem so on top of things with our video productions otherwise.
I believe it’s a school-by-school choice during the season and Coacha has not been outspoken in favor of it. Maybe it was her preference?

ADVERTISEMENT