ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

She could handle it defensively, but we can't afford 2 weak bats in the infield!
Take away Syd's offensive production and we are looking at quite a few more losses and the ability of other teams to pitch around our hitters to get to our non-hitters!
Based on the lineups this year I think Coacha is looking to play the player that was recruited for that position first (Hartley)- if she does not have what we need then other options are available. Ross was recruited as an infielder and could be moved somewhere, Harding has a gun and came in as a Catcher/1B/INF type and could slide over. Westbrook is coming and could help somewhere (California SS). Frey could play there too. Both Westbrook and Frey come with pop in the bat. All this is predicated on going with what we have and does not include any possible transfers. JMHO

Try to enjoy this year. To many gloom and doomers on this board. I remember last year a lot of posters were complaining all the time and we almost won a national championship.
Funny but true. We come to this board to celebrate, analyze and pontificate-- just have to understand we are fans and are trying to say what we think will make us better- we all trust Coacha but we still have eyes and opinions.

What a fantastic accomplishment for Syd!

Between Jessie Warren and Sydney Sherrill FSU has had third base on total lock-down for the past eight years before that it was Briana Hamilton who did well in the field.

The question is who will be next?
Late to the party but I think that it will be the best combination of
- 3rd: Flaherty or Hartley - (would be interesting to see who can fill this role)
- 2b/ss: Muffley/Brooke/Ross (and Flaherty depending upon outcome at 3rd)
Something to look forward to for next year. Hopefully after a long post season this year.

Reactions: squiffynole
Late to the party but I think that it will be the best combination of
- 3rd: Flaherty or Hartley - (would be interesting to see who can fill this role)
- 2b/ss: Muffley/Brooke/Ross (and Flaherty depending upon outcome at 3rd)
Something to look forward to for next year. Hopefully after a long post season this year.
I would be totally flabbergasted is she moved Devyn. You just don't fix one position by moving an all conference player - the likely result would be you have 2 people learning and adapting instead of one . Syd was an anomaly as she had the skills and a gun. Other than Harding (who could be a candidate) none have a gun like Syd.

Reactions: jdogg_20_8
Watching between games both acc and sec. One has a full desk with 4 announcer view points and interviewing players from prior games where fans can stand in the background and watch and wave. The other was lucky to get two chairs in the outfield grass while the next team practiced around them.

I would be totally flabbergasted is she moved Devyn. You just don't fix one position by moving an all conference player - the likely result would be you have 2 people learning and adapting instead of one . Syd was an anomaly as she had the skills and a gun. Other than Harding (who could be a candidate) none have a gun like Syd.
You may be right but fairly certain she did move her there last year when they needed to fill a gap at 3rd when syd was out. If she did it would be because she felt that devyn is up to the task, which may be true as a sr. I also think that they don’t give up anything by having BB or Muffley at 2nd. Or maybe Ross. Either way will be fun to see next year

Reactions: jgking83
A few takeaways from the last few games.
At least currently, Coacha does not trust BB to hit.
She is still giving opportunities to Culp, Wacaser and occ Ross.
We need the bottom of the order to start hitting.
I do believe Jahni may make a big jump next year in hitting and hopefully in fielding.
BB and Muffley both need to go to school on hitting before next year.
I don't see Coacha playing them both (SS 3B) next year.
Contrast the hitting impact of BB and JM with say Cali Harrod and Jesse Warren.
The bottom third of our lineup delivered in 18. I believe Mason batted #9 at that time as our DP.
We need top to bottom hitting to win the WCWS in almost all cases!

Last edited:
Reactions: FLSnole
They moved Dev to SS last year, not third
also look at the number of plays made by third base and second base, both more important than SS

You may be right but fairly certain she did move her there last year when they needed to fill a gap at 3rd when syd was out. If she did it would be because she felt that devyn is up to the task, which may be true as a sr. I also think that they don’t give up anything by having BB or Muffley at 2nd. Or maybe Ross. Either way will be fun to see next year
I just do not agree that they will not "give up anything" by having BB or Muffley at 2nd. Substituting one of them for SYD in the lineup would be a HUGE step back in my opinion. I would rather have Harding at third (assuming she can do that- she played infield in HS and has a gun). This would give us room to find a bomber who could play the outfield-- I say again that based on the subs she used there this year she will try Hartley first. . JMHO

I just do not agree that they will not "give up anything" by having BB or Muffley at 2nd. Substituting one of them for SYD in the lineup would be a HUGE step back in my opinion. I would rather have Harding at third (assuming she can do that- she played infield in HS and has a gun). This would give us room to find a bomber who could play the outfield-- I say again that based on the subs she used there this year she will try Hartley first. . JMHO
Losing Syd next year will be huge - did not intend to insinuate otherwise. i see Devyn as that senior anchor next year. You are right that Harding’s arm could be a weapon at 3rd.
Go Noles! I would love to see them pick up some early runs on Duke today

Losing Syd next year will be huge - did not intend to insinuate otherwise. i see Devyn as that senior anchor next year. You are right that Harding’s arm could be a weapon at 3rd.
Go Noles! I would love to see them pick up some early runs on Duke today
Devyn will be a senior next year but has 2 more years of eligibilty after this one

Last edited:
This will be the most accurate. The official FSU athletics website.

https://seminoles.com/2022-softball-recruiting-class/
It glosses over some key facts. None of the two pitchers coming in 2022 (Reid or Balk) were rated top 20 types--good stats but not rated top 20-- one lefty and one righty. They are more of what we usually get- diamonds in the rough that will need some experienced polishing. The other 2022's (Westbrook, Frey ) were SS and C in High School but were higher rated and it appears they have some pop in their bats. Our one Pitcher so far in the 2023 class (Danley) is a top ten rated Pitcher but she is 2 years away. There are some major mashers in the 2023 class like Jaysoni Bechum. All of the position players seem to be well thought of and rated that way . The 2024's will be offered in August and there are several Pitchers in that group we are looking at and they are VERY HIGHLY RATED and have camped with us--so we will see if we offer and they accept. In the mean time we will need some transfers to fill a major hole in 2023. It will take some well thought out acquisitioning and roster management to get us through that year (post covid rosters). Crossing my fingers and hoping Coacha creates some magic. JMHO

Is there any ACC ump that will call consecutive illegal pitches on Lemley? Every darn pitch is illegal by my eye. It is not right that they allow her to cheat. How many do they have to call before she can be tossed? I hope the WCWS umps jump on her, and keep jumping until she learns how to pitch legally.

VT still likely # 4 seed in Arkansas wins SEC. Of Course FSU has to take care of business.

Based on the lineups this year I think Coacha is looking to play the player that was recruited for that position first (Hartley)- if she does not have what we need then other options are available. Ross was recruited as an infielder and could be moved somewhere, Harding has a gun and came in as a Catcher/1B/INF type and could slide over. Westbrook is coming and could help somewhere (California SS). Frey could play there too. Both Westbrook and Frey come with pop in the bat. All this is predicated on going with what we have and does not include any possible transfers. JMHO
Yes, she has been giving Hartley some pinch hit at bats regularly lately.
BB is not getting any ABs.
I'm not a coach, but a lot of time spent recognizing balls and strikes would help every players' BA.
JK really needs it.
I'm hopeful that Kerr, Culp, Wacaser, Ross, Blankenship and Hartley take big steps forward offensively next year.
Who knows maybe even Belviy who seems to be a + fielder!

Current Super Regional Hosts after Friday 13th games

#1 Oklahoma ( Saturday's game Versus Oklahoma State mean nothing for OU).
#2 FSU (stays at #3 even if loses to Clemson)
#3 Arkansas ( avoid loss to Missouri who shut out last 3 games - loses could drop #5)
#4 UCLA (Sweep of Cal and Arkansas loss might get #3
#5 Virginia Tech (#4 if Arkansas and or UCLA were to lose)
#6 Duke as rest of teams lost early
#7 Alabama
#8 Arizona State (with another win over Washington moves up)
#9 Oklahoma State (could move to 7 with upset of OU)
#10 Northwestern

Look for Auburn or Mississippi State be #2 seed in Tallahassee.

Reactions: misswebbsilverchief
Anyone know if the tv announcers were wearing blue and white cheer leading outfits. I swear they were annoying. Toward the end you could actually hear the disappointment in their voices that Duke was headed for elimination.

A word or two about Syd. They won't be able to replace her. A warm body, yes, replace? Good luck with that. That lady is the team in my opinion. She is the glue that holds the entire team together. Her skill in the field and at bat is phenomenal. Her demeanor, her presence, is remarkable. I have never witnessed defeat in her eyes and on her face. A winner in every aspect. I firmly hope that one day she takes Coacha's place when she decides to make a change. Her recent contract signing makes that hard, but you never know. Syd is an All American in my book. What a wonderful gal.

Anyone know if the tv announcers were wearing blue and white cheer leading outfits. I swear they were annoying. Toward the end you could actually hear the disappointment in their voices that Duke was headed for elimination.

A word or two about Syd. They won't be able to replace her. A warm body, yes, replace? Good luck with that. That lady is the team in my opinion. She is the glue that holds the entire team together. Her skill in the field and at bat is phenomenal. Her demeanor, her presence, is remarkable. I have never witnessed defeat in her eyes and on her face. A winner in every aspect. I firmly hope that one day she takes Coacha's place when she decides to make a change. Her recent contract signing makes that hard, but you never know. Syd is an All American in my book. What a wonderful gal.
Everyone concurs - and Syd has a bright future both personally and professionally. Her Twitter page just takes your breath away. She knows how to perform and does a great job marketing herself. She will continue to make all of us proud she is a Seminole. JMHO

If Ali DuBois is a capable pitcher and we held her back this year, I will be pissed!
We need pitching depth and Lonni keeps taking projects in the circle. As good a pitching coach
as she is, she has whiffed on Bianca Cruz (19), Kara Bilodeau (transfer from Au), Emma Wilson, Briana Enter, and Jeya Presad.
To be fair Arnold from UT was a good pickup, but not a great one. She was the 2nd best pitcher on UT.
Watson again, was a good pickup, but not great!
Call me negative all you want, but with FSU and Lonni's resume', we should be getting top-shelf transfers and freshmen, not the 2nd best pitcher on someone else's team!
I'm not classifying Leonard as a pitching transfer, because, well check out her stats below from her junior year. She was a hitting transfer who was a mediocre pitcher.
Junior Year (2021): Made an appearance in all 41 games for the Redbirds … Named to the All-MVC First Team … NFCA All-Mideast Region Second Team pick … Earned MVC Scholar-Athlete First Team honors … Led the team in batting average (.425), runs scored (36), doubles (8), triples (2), home runs (10), RBIs (38) and walks (26) … Single season batting average ranks third all-time at ISU … Finished in the top five in the MVC in all major statistical categories … Logged a team-leading 18 multi-hit and 10 multi-RBI games … Ended the season on a 26-game reached base streak … Ranked 27th nationally in on-base percentage (.532) and 34th in batting average Posted an 11-4 recorded in the circle with a 3.33 ERA … Tossed nine complete games with six shutouts and one save … Struck out 80 batters in 21 appearances and 17 starts in 100.0 innings of work.

Lonni has done a good job with Danielle, but once again her resume' coming in was
. Led the pitching staff with 88 strikeouts in 161.0 innings... Posted a 3.83 ERA and a 12-15 record ... Tossed a complete game, giving up one run and scattering two hits in the NCAA regional win over No. 17/16 Northwestern (5/18)... Named ACC Co-Pitcher of the Week on April 9... Tied a career high with 11 strikeouts in the 7-2 win over Georgia Tech (4/21)... Tossed a complete game one-hit shutout in the 2-0 win over No. 3/3 Florida State (4/6)...

We need better pitching prospect material to have a lockdown staff like we had with Hanson and King!
I hope that Danielle regains that razor edge she needs to win big games b/c KS cannot take us all the way by herself! BTW KS was a top shelf pitching prospect out of HS.

One of our best teams, a terrific record, top three seed - these are the good times.
I'm fully aware that my take can come across as complaining in the midst of high-level prosperity.
I get that!
My mind-set has been compromised by Mark Krikorian. I'm only half kidding. He is/was the best college coach in women's soccer. He parlayed that into having the best program over the last 10 years. While he developed his talent extremely well, he recruited studs with which to work. Had he stayed on, I would have expected at least 2 more nattys in the next 5 years.
I think Lonni may be the best on-field coach, especially at developing her pitchers in the country. I want us to become the PROGRAM that OU currently is. IMO, with the right pitchers to work with, we can be!
Forgive my perceived negativity in the midst of such success, but I always look with an eye toward the NCAAT and the years to come.
Fortunately the transfer portal has the potential to plug holes, if she aims high enough!

If Ali DuBois is a capable pitcher and we held her back this year, I will be pissed!
We need pitching depth and Lonni keeps taking projects in the circle. As good a pitching coach
as she is, she has whiffed on Bianca Cruz (19), Kara Bilodeau (transfer from Au), Emma Wilson, Briana Enter, and Jeya Presad.
To be fair Arnold from UT was a good pickup, but not a great one. She was the 2nd best pitcher on UT.
Watson again, was a good pickup, but not great!
Call me negative all you want, but with FSU and Lonni's resume', we should be getting top-shelf transfers and freshmen, not the 2nd best pitcher on someone else's team!
I'm not classifying Leonard as a pitching transfer, because, well check out her stats below from her junior year. She was a hitting transfer who was a mediocre pitcher.
Junior Year (2021): Made an appearance in all 41 games for the Redbirds … Named to the All-MVC First Team … NFCA All-Mideast Region Second Team pick … Earned MVC Scholar-Athlete First Team honors … Led the team in batting average (.425), runs scored (36), doubles (8), triples (2), home runs (10), RBIs (38) and walks (26) … Single season batting average ranks third all-time at ISU … Finished in the top five in the MVC in all major statistical categories … Logged a team-leading 18 multi-hit and 10 multi-RBI games … Ended the season on a 26-game reached base streak … Ranked 27th nationally in on-base percentage (.532) and 34th in batting average Posted an 11-4 recorded in the circle with a 3.33 ERA … Tossed nine complete games with six shutouts and one save … Struck out 80 batters in 21 appearances and 17 starts in 100.0 innings of work.

Lonni has done a good job with Danielle, but once again her resume' coming in was
. Led the pitching staff with 88 strikeouts in 161.0 innings... Posted a 3.83 ERA and a 12-15 record ... Tossed a complete game, giving up one run and scattering two hits in the NCAA regional win over No. 17/16 Northwestern (5/18)... Named ACC Co-Pitcher of the Week on April 9... Tied a career high with 11 strikeouts in the 7-2 win over Georgia Tech (4/21)... Tossed a complete game one-hit shutout in the 2-0 win over No. 3/3 Florida State (4/6)...

We need better pitching prospect material to have a lockdown staff like we had with Hanson and King!
I hope that Danielle regains that razor edge she needs to win big games b/c KS cannot take us all the way by herself! BTW KS was a top shelf pitching prospect out of HS.
I think she got Leonard to also pitch- I think she thought she could improve her game (and that may come next year- it will need to) We have a great Kiln but are trying to make fine china out of underrated river mud. (not a wonderful analogy). It would be great to get a multi-year transfer in here and a top 10 rated non-project (I know Coacha will want to bring the underclass in slow) Unfortunately these types (based on our announced commits) will have to come from the portal. JMHO

I'm fully aware that my take can come across as complaining in the midst of high-level prosperity.
I get that!
My mind-set has been compromised by Mark Krikorian. I'm only half kidding. He is/was the best college coach in women's soccer. He parlayed that into having the best program over the last 10 years. While he developed his talent extremely well, he recruited studs with which to work. Had he stayed on, I would have expected at least 2 more nattys in the next 5 years.
I think Lonni may be the best on-field coach, especially at developing her pitchers in the country. I want us to become the PROGRAM that OU currently is. IMO, with the right pitchers to work with, we can be!
Forgive my perceived negativity in the midst of such success, but I always look with an eye toward the NCAAT and the years to come.
Fortunately the transfer portal has the potential to plug holes, if she aims high enough!
Its not negative to do some (what if's) . All of us are doing that.

Reactions: FletchCC
I think she got Leonard to also pitch- I think she thought she could improve her game (and that may come next year- it will need to) We have a great Kiln but are trying to make fine china out of underrated river mud. (not a wonderful analogy). It would be great to get a multi-year transfer in here and a top 10 rated non-project (I know Coacha will want to bring the underclass in slow) Unfortunately these types (based on our announced commits) will have to come from the portal. JMHO

It`s amazing we have won 51 games with these mid level players.

ADVERTISEMENT