ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

Here’s something I haven’t seen anyone discuss. I don’t remember exactly when but somewhere around mid-season, Coacha made a change at the 3rd base coaching position. I believe we’ve only lost one game since (UNC).

Since TWill seems to call the running plays, I have to think this was a subtle move by Coacha - but a very good one. Thoughts?

Here’s something I haven’t seen anyone discuss. I don’t remember exactly when but somewhere around mid-season, Coacha made a change at the 3rd base coaching position. I believe we’ve only lost one game since (UNC).

Since TWill seems to call the running plays, I have to think this was a subtle move by Coacha - but a very good one. Thoughts?
It's hard to say watching from the outside but I have sensed a more energetic enthusiasm when FSU's runners, batter and next up huddle with Travis when the opposing coach goes to the mound. Not that Troy Cameron was doing badly coaching third this year I just think that Travis' statue, ability to read the situation and get to the point imparts an exceptionally high level of confidence.

And I loved how the Noles hammered Duke with four steals in the pivotal 6th inning last week. Travis knows when to push the buttons which I think is a product of his experience.

My general feeling is Troy has grown into the job and brings value but on the other hand I wish he were more active in the dugout mostly he stands or knees staring at the field. The other factor is Kaleigh Rafter who has been a big plus.

It's hard to say watching from the outside but I have sensed a more energetic enthusiasm when FSU's runners, batter and next up huddle with Travis when the opposing coach goes to the mound. Not that Troy Cameron was doing badly coaching third this year I just think that Travis' statue, ability to read the situation and get to the point imparts an exceptionally high level of confidence.

And I loved how the Noles hammered Duke with four steals in the pivotal 6th inning last week. Travis knows when to push the buttons which I think is a product of his experience.

My general feeling is Troy has grown into the job and brings value but on the other hand I wish he were more active in the dugout mostly he stands or knees staring at the field. The other factor is Kaleigh Rafter who has been a big plus.
I totally agree about Kaleigh. She has been a big plus for the team and I have to think our catchers are especially benefitting from her presence.

Agree with all of this - the biggest addition has been Rafter. The other parts may just be coincidence (we started hitting better). We have chosen to steal less but that is a product of our team getting some clutch hits going. We don't have a whole lineup of speed merchants but we have 3 that can get their own bag and 4-5 if you count subs. Great position to be in.

Reactions: squiffynole
Couple of strange seeds starting with Alabama losing 5 of last 8 games. Clemson much higher than Duke, Missouri getting host after being nowhere until the SEC tournament. But it is what it is.
That bracket has a lot of head scratch moments.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — For the eighth consecutive season, the Seminoles are set to host an NCAA Regional as they are the No. 2 national seed. Florida State (52-5) will begin the 2022 NCAA Softball Championship at home on Friday, May 20 against Howard (31-22) at 8:30 pm on ESPN+. Florida State enters the NCAA Tournament coming off its 18th ACC Tournament Championship.

Mississippi State (33-24) and USF (44-14) are the other two teams in the Tallahassee Regional and will play on Friday at 6:00 pm on ESPNU. All games on the weekend will be broadcast on the ESPN family of networks.

The Seminoles have faced a total of 12 teams in the 2022 NCAA Tournament field, posting a combined record of 19-2. FSU has earned 14 wins over national seeds, including wins over No. 3 Virginia Tech, No. 5 UCLA, No. 6 Alabama, No. 7 Oklahoma State (twice), No. 10 Clemson (four times), No. 11 Tennessee, No. 12 Duke, No. 14 Florida (twice) and No. 16 UCF.

The double-elimination regional will conclude on Sunday, May 22 and the winner of the 2022 NCAA Tallahassee Regional will match up with the winner of the Missouri Regional in the NCAA Super Regional round on May 26-29. If Florida State wins its regional, it will host the winner of the Missouri Regional.

It marks the 22nd consecutive season that the Noles have reached the regional round.

A limited number of tickets will be available for purchase starting at 9:00 am Monday, May 16th. Please visit our website, Seminoles.com/tickets, to purchase tickets. If you have any questions, regarding tickets please contact the FSU ticket office at 850-644-1830 or via email at ticketoffice@seminoles.com.

Follow Florida State softball on Twitter (@FSU_Softball) and Instagram (fsusoftball), and like our Facebook page (Facebook.com/FSUsoftball) to keep up to date with everything about Seminole softball.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on softball nationally, but I think I do know the ACC pretty well... Duke being seeded far behind Klempsun is indeed quite perplexing. 🤯
They are seeded 12th and Clemson is 10th. How is that “far behind” them?

Reactions: jgking83
This weekend's weather not looking ideal -

Friday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 90. Light south wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Friday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72.
Saturday
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Saturday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71.
Sunday
Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

This weekend's weather not looking ideal -

Friday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 90. Light south wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Friday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72.
Saturday
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Saturday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71.
Sunday
Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Sunny Florida. ☺️

The lightening is what will delay games longer the rain storm. But we've been there before.

Reactions: AtlSFNole
No, but she told me she was redshirting at the 'meet and greet' session the first week of the season. Therefore, I just guessed it was health related. Otherwise, she would have been a possiblity to play had say Sandercock and Watson gone down with injuries. Comment seemed very definite.

Reactions: ranger43
There has been so much misinformation posted on here since the selection show, I thought I’d try to shed some light. I’m gonna look at each region and give the numbers. Over-all, I think the selection process was fair and I think FSU in particular got a good draw.

I’m only going to use RPI as the guide, because it’s simple and it’s one factor in the selection process. Just one! All the others are more subjective. Despite popular belief, the RPI is not biased. I believed all the nonsense I heard from FSU fans, who seem to have a major butt hurt for the SEC, in thinking it had a SEC or Pac12 or Big12 bias. Finally, I decided to look it up and see how it’s calculated. It’s really rather simple. Again, it’s JUST ONE factor the committee uses. They look at plenty of other things, like record, record vs top 25, record vs top 100, SOS, and more. But the RPI is simple so that’s what I’m using. And you’ll see it’s pretty accurate. Those other factors is where you see the discrepancies. FSU is seeded 2, despite the RPI

The formula is simple:
Your winning pct x .25
+
your opponents winning pct x .5
+
your opponents opponents win pct x .25

Add them together and you have your RPI. No bonus points for being in the SEC or Pac12. You don’t lose points for being in the ACC. lol

The one non-softball factor that handcuffs the committee some is the travel restrictions. Many of the smaller schools don’t have the budget to fly and must take a bus. Those schools can not be sent farther than 400 miles. So, that may cause a particular seed to look completely out of place.

They also don’t put 2 teams from the same conference in a regional.

In a 64 team, 16 bracket tournament, the committee tries to make each bracket (region) equal. The super regionals are predetermined because of that. For instance, FSU must play #15. It’s not up to the committee. It’s the way you keep a balanced 16 bracket tournament.

I’m not looking at the 4 seeds in each region. From a talent standpoint, they shouldn’t be involved, but they are mostly AQ and will be gone after day 2,

I’m going to put what seed each bracket should have, and then what they actually have according to RPI.

So here we go:

#1 Oklahoma
Should have 1, 32, and 33.
They have 1, Minn (34), and TexA&M (40).

#2 FSU
Should have 2, 31, and 34.
They have 3, MissSt (29), and USF (37).

#3 Virginia Tech
Should have 3, 30, and 35.
They have 2, KY (24), and Miami-O (65).

#4 Arkansas
Should have 4, 29, and 36.
They have 4, Oregon (17), and Wich St (36).

#5 UCLA
Should have 5, 28, and 37.
They have 5, Miss (26), and Loyola-M (58).

#6 Alabama
Should have 6, 27, and 38.
They have 6, Stan (31), and Mur St (90).

#7 Oklahoma St
Should have 7, 26, and 39.
They have 7, Neb (28), and N Texas (43).

#8 Arizona St
Should have 8, 25, and 40.
They have 10, LSU (21), and SD St (49).

#9 Northwestern
Should have 9, 24, and 41.
They have 12, ND (19), and McN St (56).

#10 Clemson
Should have 10, 23, and 42.
They have 8, Auburn (32), and LA(27).

#11 Tennessee
Should have 11, 22, and 43.
They have 11, Ohio St (25) and Ore St (35).

#12 Duke
Should have 12, 21, and 44.
They have 9, UGA (22), and Liberty (30).

#13 Washington
Should have 13, 20, and 45.
They have 16, Texas (14), and Weber St (48).

#14 Florida
Should have 14, 19, and 46.
They have 13, GaTech (23), and Wisc (39).

#15 Missouri
Should have 15, 18, and 47.
They have 18, Illinois (38), and Arizona (42).

#16 UCF
Should have 16, 17, and 48.
They have 15, Mich (20), and S Dak St (47).

Of the 48 top 3 seeds, 39 were seeded within 10 of their RPI rating. That’s pretty good!

Looking at the FSU regional, Miss St is not a particularly good hitting or pitching team. They have beaten some good SEC opponents, but if we play well, we should win. The elephant in the room is USF’s top pitcher. Yeah they’ve won 40+ games. However their SOS is EIGHTY-EIGHT!!! Could that be why their top pitcher is so statistically good? When they play top competition, if they don’t pitch her…they lose. They aren’t a good hitting team. She has lost 5 games, compared to FSU’s Sandercock, who has lost one. She’s gonna start game one vs MSU. After that we’ll see how she does with little rest. UCF beat her twice and Florida beat her once.
I like our chances. I generally do not like our chances vs a strikeout pitcher, but this team is so weak, other than her, I feel pretty good!

Looking at our super opponents, there is nothing to be afraid of in Columbia! Not to say we can’t lose to any of them. However, we should be heavily favored. Missouri has been very ordinary all year until the SEC tournament, where they beat Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee…all by shutouts. They lost the champ game to Arkansas. Illinois is a pretty good hitting team, but not much pitching. Arizona is a really good hitting team and a terrible pitching team.

It all starts Friday! I’ll be traveling, but I can’t wait to hear about it!!

Good information.

A point to clarify though, the NCAA pays for travel during the tournament. They can send a school wherever they want, but if the can send you someplace within 400 miles they can do it by bus.

It doesn’t matter how big or small the school, the NCAA covers travel.

Good information.

A point to clarify though, the NCAA pays for travel during the tournament. They can send a school wherever they want, but if the can send you someplace within 400 miles they can do it by bus.

Good information.

Thanks for the correction on travel. I think, no I know, Buck knows more about the whole travel issue, so I will defer to you two on that one. However, I do know it comes into play every year.

Regardless though, as I laid out…they do a pretty darn good job of balancing the brackets (regions).

There has been so much misinformation posted on here since the selection show, I thought I’d try to shed some light. I’m gonna look at each region and give the numbers. Over-all, I think the selection process was fair and I think FSU in particular got a good draw.

I’m only going to use RPI as the guide, because it’s simple and it’s one factor in the selection process. Just one! All the others are more subjective. Despite popular belief, the RPI is not biased. I believed all the nonsense I heard from FSU fans, who seem to have a major butt hurt for the SEC, in thinking it had a SEC or Pac12 or Big12 bias. Finally, I decided to look it up and see how it’s calculated. It’s really rather simple. Again, it’s JUST ONE factor the committee uses. They look at plenty of other things, like record, record vs top 25, record vs top 100, SOS, and more. But the RPI is simple so that’s what I’m using. And you’ll see it’s pretty accurate. Those other factors is where you see the discrepancies. FSU is seeded 2, despite the RPI

The formula is simple:
Your winning pct x .25
+
+

Add them together and you have your RPI. No bonus points for being in the SEC or Pac12. You don’t lose points for being in the ACC. lol

The one non-softball factor that handcuffs the committee some is the travel restrictions. Many of the smaller schools don’t have the budget to fly and must take a bus. Those schools can not be sent farther than 400 miles. So, that may cause a particular seed to look completely out of place.

In a 64 team, 16 bracket tournament, the committee tries to make each bracket (region) equal. The super regionals are predetermined because of that. For instance, FSU must play #15. It’s not up to the committee. It’s the way you keep a balanced 16 bracket tournament.

I’m not looking at the 4 seeds in each region. From a talent standpoint, they shouldn’t be involved, but they are mostly AQ and will be gone after day 2,

I’m going to put what seed each bracket should have, and then what they actually have according to RPI.

So here we go:

#1 Oklahoma

#2 FSU

#3 Virginia Tech

#4 Arkansas

#5 UCLA

#6 Alabama

#7 Oklahoma St

#8 Arizona St

#9 Northwestern

#10 Clemson

#11 Tennessee

#12 Duke

#13 Washington

#14 Florida

#15 Missouri

#16 UCF

Of the 48 top 3 seeds, 39 were seeded within 10 of their RPI rating. That’s pretty good!

Looking at the FSU regional, Miss St is not a particularly good hitting or pitching team. They have beaten some good SEC opponents, but if we play well, we should win. The elephant in the room is USF’s top pitcher. Yeah they’ve won 40+ games. However their SOS is EIGHTY-EIGHT!!! Could that be why their top pitcher is so statistically good? When they play top competition, if they don’t pitch her…they lose. They aren’t a good hitting team. She has lost 5 games, compared to FSU’s Sandercock, who has lost one. She’s gonna start game one vs MSU. After that we’ll see how she does with little rest. UCF beat her twice and Florida beat her once.
I like our chances. I generally do not like our chances vs a strikeout pitcher, but this team is so weak, other than her, I feel pretty good!

Looking at our super opponents, there is nothing to be afraid of in Columbia! Not to say we can’t lose to any of them. However, we should be heavily favored. Missouri has been very ordinary all year until the SEC tournament, where they beat Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee…all by shutouts. They lost the champ game to Arkansas. Illinois is a pretty good hitting team, but not much pitching. Arizona is a really good hitting team and a terrible pitching team.

I appreciate that information.

I'm interested in the dynamics of the RPI formula and don't quite grasp the basis for or effect of the 0.25 v 0.5 winning percentage adjustment factor.

I'm also curious to see the "raw" RPI score for each team instead of just the rank order which I see published.

In regard to opposing talent Mississippi State's Mia Davidson has awesome batting stats I look forward to watching her hit just not against Emma Wilson please.

I wouldn't overreact to the concerns of one poster, if it's who I suspect you are referring to he is highly experienced and a great source but maybe came on too strong.

In the end I'm with Lonni, you've got to play the best competition anyway bring it on.

Thank you for your content.

I appreciate that information.

I'm interested in the dynamics of the RPI formula and don't quite grasp the basis for or effect of the 0.25 v 0.5 winning percentage adjustment factor.

I'm also curious to see the "raw" RPI score for each team instead of just the rank order which I see published.

In regard to opposing talent Mississippi State's Mia Davidson has awesome batting stats I look forward to watching her hit just not against Emma Wilson please.

I wouldn't overreact to the concerns of one poster, if it's who I suspect you are referring to he is highly experienced and a great source but maybe came on too strong.

In the end I'm with Lonni, you've got to play the best competition anyway bring it on.

Thank you for your content.
Good morning! I’m completely with you about the RPI! I would love to speak with or read about the person who came up with it, and why your opponents winning pct is of higher value than your winning pct.? To me, the most important, or highest value, should be your winning pct. But….

I have just been amazed at the butt hurt so many FSU “fans” have over the SEC and ESPN. It is a sick disturbance!! I was an idiot and believed all the nonsense they were spewing, until I finally decided to just look for myself. They were saying the RPI was biased in favor of the SEC, obviously because it didn’t look at our record vs top 25. When I posted the formula, this person said I proved his/her point because it doesn’t take into account top 25 record or where and when you played!!!! I just said it’s not supposed to. It’s just one measuring stick the committee uses. It’s very simple in scope. The committee looks at all those other things too. Apparently he/she just can’t understand. lol
That same person even used last year as an example of the committee being biased, by saying they had 5 (I think) top 8 national seeds from the SEC and only 1 made it to the WCWS. So I looked it up over the past 5 years, there were 2 other years where they had 5 SEC top 8 seeds and ALL 8 made it to the WCWS! It’s just such a waste of time and so stupid!!!!

I just want people to know the truth. If they want to ignore it, fine. That’s up to them.

I’m with you and Lonni, let’s just play, have fun, and see where we go! It should be a lot of fun, as these girls are a blast to watch! I hope they do well this weekend so I can see them the next. I’ll be traveling, so I doubt I’ll see much this weekend.

The formula is simple:
Your winning pct x .25
+
+

So here we go:

#1 Oklahoma

#2 FSU

#3 Virginia Tech

#4 Arkansas

#5 UCLA

#6 Alabama

#7 Oklahoma St

#8 Arizona St

#9 Northwestern

#10 Clemson

#11 Tennessee

#12 Duke

#13 Washington

#14 Florida

#15 Missouri

#16 UCF

As usual you pick out the criteria you think is most favorable to your perspective and its not the only one used. RPI is a mirage- it moves. If they had a formula that took into account strength of schedule (I have no issue with RPI here is long as they use the RPI at the time they played) then my perspective is this whole bracket would look different. Did we get treated fairly based on their criteria -- well its debatable. There are many nuances to all of this. I no longer care. We got what we got and its win or go home time. Last post on this bullcrap.

Good information.

They should probably just go ahead and fly everyone to keep it fair. No way that Murray State an RPI of 90 should be playing in Alabama when we get USF at 37. And their bus was involved in an accident last night too...

Reactions: NoleLizards
They should probably just go ahead and fly everyone to keep it fair. No way that Murray State an RPI of 90 should be playing in Alabama when we get USF at 37. And their bus was involved in an accident last night too...
It’s hard to argue that USF doesn’t belong as our 3 seed. In fact, objectively you can’t. RPI has them at 37 and Massey has them at 45, so I have no problem. They aren’t very good, but have a supposed great pitcher. I’ll believe it when she does it against top competition. She has still lost FIVE games, compared to Sandercock’s ONE! They do not win without her, so if they were to win with her pitching every game…shame on FSU, and we don’t deserve to move on.

As for Murray St, I agree. Without knowing the logic, it seems strange. However, as I said, there are only 9 out of the top 48 seeds, that are seeded more than 10 spots from their RPI.

Should everyone fly? I don’t know. I do know it’s easy to spend other people’s money. lol

Interesting! That mean ole ESPN and their softball analysts unanimously picked 5 teams to make it to the WCWS….OU, FSU, Arkansas, Oklahoma St, and Arizona St.

https://seminoles.com/florida-state-places-six-on-all-region-teams/
It's great that we placed 6 on the All region team, but dang, what does Flaherty
have to do to get recognized?
Leads the team in BA. Leads the team in SB. .984 fielding %. She's money, and can't make the
top 3 teams. :mad: :mad::mad:
Yeah, I doubt there's a better option at 2nd anywhere in the country. Outside of Syd and Kat, I would say she's been our best player overall. We have so many it's hard to pick one or two, but she brings it every game at a very high level.

Yeah, I doubt there's a better option at 2nd anywhere in the country. Outside of Syd and Kat, I would say she's been our best player overall. We have so many it's hard to pick one or two, but she brings it every game at a very high level.
I agree. But Lately its been Harding.

So..are steals triggered by the signs from the 3rd base coach alone? Figured the signs were actually coming from the dugout.

Well, there ya go. USF was proven to be the fraud I said they were. Their pitcher is really good, but that team is not. I said the only way they win is if she can pitch effectively every game. Sadly, she got hurt and USF was exposed.

Hopefully we win the first game so we can get ready for, most likely, Arizona.

Sunday's schedule, 11 of 14 #1 seeds are undefeated. None of them have been eliminated yet. Two regionals (UCF and Florida) are still working on Saturday's games.
Also, 7 of the #2 seeds have been eliminated!

Interestingly, one of the #1 seeds that lost is Missouri, and one of the #2 seeds to be eliminated was Illinois, also in the Missouri regional. If you looked deep into the Missouri regional, you knew it wasn't particularly strong. Whether it's Arizona (terrible pitching all year, but good hitting) or Missouri (very average all year, but a really good SEC tournament), FSU (if we win) will be heavy favorites!!

The fun has begun!!!

ADVERTISEMENT